• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
latest

towns aren't gonna look like this and take 10 seconds to move from end to end.

any comparison to the original games length is stupid when this game is gonna structurally be completely different

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm not buying any of this until it's all out but that's been the same for me since its reveal. Kinda wish square enix had more for me to look forward to at the least but, even if they did, THAT would in turn be years off too...

At this point, I think i've lost faith in square entirely.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
1. The original game was a product of a different time. Assets were far simpler to produce, and games didn't have the fidelity that games do now. I'm not trying to downplay FFVII's accomplishments, but making a large scale game back then was easier than it is now.
2. What other remakes are re-imagining a game with the scope and scale of FFVII, with full, modern production values this high and revamped gameplay systems? FFVII was a massive game, and translating the breadth of the content within to match modern standards is a massive undertaking. The only realistic way we get FFVII Remake in a single package is if they slash half the content, which no one wants, including the developers.
3. After CyberConnect 2 was dropped and everything was moved in-house at Square, everything we've heard since indicates that production has gone smoothly. Going by Nomura's recent comment, they appear to have release date in sight, then that means that they'll also likely have the tools and pipeline ready to go for the other episodes going forward.

I think having some trepidation over how things will pan out is understandable, and I think it's even okay to be dissapointed that it's not a single release. That's how I would personally prefer it, even, but considering what they're tasked with, I think going episodic is absolutely the right call.
These arguements dont even make sense. If anything a remake should take less time. You already have the story, characters and everything else. Youre just redoing and reimagining the combat system and visuals. Its hilarious how people are acting like this is the biggest undertaking ever in video games. Sure ff7 is a big game. But so are many other games. Its episodic for one reason, cause square cant put out a large game in any sort of reasonable timeframe.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I still detest this decision so much but hey as always I'm open to be proven wrong. I was wrong about being done with Kratos and the series needing a new more interesting character. But really in concept this just seems like "the hobbit" of games splitting a complete story and padding it out as design direction in addition to the last decade of square being out of touch with story telling just has me incredibly skeptical.

Also no matter what def won't be a day 1 buy for me so fingers crossed more ardent fans will fund the sequels.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
These arguements dont even make sense. If anything a remake should take less time. You already have the story, characters and everything else. Youre just redoing and reimagining the combat system and visuals. Its hilarious how people are acting like this is the biggest undertaking ever in video games. Sure ff7 is a big game. But so are many other games. Its episodic for one reason, cause square cant put out a large game in any sort of reasonable timeframe.
That and they want to charge you $60 3 separate times

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
All of those things are actually huge, I don't understand why you think it isn't.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The problem is not the scale of the game itself, we know that the towns and cities will be bigger, it is the scale of the story. The fear is that they do something like The Hobbit and stretch and fill everywhere unnecessarily.

Oct 25, 2017
Just remake the game lollll
3Zp08ho.png

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
If they're adding as much stuff as this thread seems to think, it's going to be a wild ride reading the threads when this game comes out...

Remaking a beloved classic is an extremely tough thing to do, and tougher when you try to add a ton of stuff to it...

Hope they pull it off. As I finish up the original right now, it's an amazing game. Really would be a shame for them to remake it, worse, for a whole new generation.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Disappointing. Will each episode at least be cheaper than a normal retail game?

Oct 30, 2017
wtf, is this really gonna be Episodic? like short Telltale games?
SE NEVER said episodes... it's the stupid internet.

They said parts as FFXIII trilogy each in size.
Man... Is the entirety of the first episode going to take place in Midgar?

We haven't seen any footage of the game outside of Midgar. That's a bit disconcerting to me.
SO because they didn't show anything outside Midgar it means it will take place only in Midgar?

What a logic...
waiting for the deluxe version all 6 episode on the PS7

Episode 1 - PS4
Episode 2 - 3 - PS5
Episode 4 - 6 - PS6
ALL 6 episodes deluxe version - PS7 launch title.
Again never said Episodes.. always said parts like a trilogy, but hey it's always nice to exaggerate the nativity when it comes to FFVIIR news.
My guess for Episode 1 is it ends when the party leaves Midgar.
- Introduce Midgar and characters.
- Shinra is the final setting
-ends with the bike chase.
And again people are forgetting how small % of the story and events takes place in Midgar.

More like Part 1 ends on the ship leaving first continent.

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's either episode or like FFVII compilation but remade.

Episode 1 till Aerith's death (cliffhanger!) and Episode 2 for the rest.

Or

FFVII full game, then Advent Children game, then Crisis Core game.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
If they're making a trilogy, the first episode will at least cover up until the cargo ship/first encounter with Jenova. It's not just gonna be forty hours of Midgar.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
All of those things are actually huge, I don't understand why you think it isn't.
My point is it isnt anymore than any other game. Ita actually less when you consider they have the entire story done before the game even needs to start being made. Unlike most other games that need to be written from scratch. The fact that people think it needs to be episodic to release is dumb. Like i said square is doing this cause they cant release games in a decent timeframe, not because this is some abnornally large game thats some huge undertaking.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
There seems to be some kind of disconnect where everytime "episodic" is repeated people think 3 hour Telltale episodes and not full length games like they said from the beginning.

giphy.gif

I couldn't care less if each "episode" is 3 hours or 300 hours. I'm not playing a chunk of a game and then waiting around for the next one to drop.

It's carving up the original game regardless. And guaranteed they'll sell each part for $60 individually. There's also a good chance that the bulk of the "content" they add is just traversing scaled up environments.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
Of course it will. Why would they sell 1 game for $60 when they can sell 3 games for $180 to everyone, and that's not including collectors editions, etc. Then, they can finally hit the market one last time with a FFVIIR Trilogy release for another $60 years down the line.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018

My issue is that Square is changing more things than they need to and making this project far larger than it needs to be. For instance, they're completely revamping the battle system, which adds an insane amount of additional work for no good reason (the game could be made in far less time e if they re-used the old battle system, which would cut development costs dramatically, and people are going to buy this no matter what its battle system is, so this revamping is an incredible waste of money). I've played HD games that have a similar scale to Final Fantasy VII (a game like Tales of Vesperia has more areas, for instance, albeit its areas are nowhere near as realistic as those in FFVII Remake. Does Square expect me to believe that a remade FFVII needs larger areas than FFXII?), so I don't believe their claims that FFVII needs to be expanded in order to do it justice. Instead, I'm terrified of how Square will expand on the original story to pad the game into two or three games, since I have zero faith in the current Square's abilities to tell compelling stories (outside of Yoko Taro, who isn't working on this game, as far as I know).

Oct 30, 2017
I love how you dodge the Witcher lol, also Cyberpunk was announced, but didnt go into full productions till the last Witcher expansions. And (here the kicker) It will be a full game. I'd wager cyberpunk + expansions will be done before all FF7 episodes released. Stop Staning SE bruh, its not that big of a deal.

Yeah I added in a comment about the witcher before you replied because I figured it was only fair.

I'm not defending square, but I am looking at it logically. Theres a lot of game to remake. I'm tired of their development bullshit as much as anyone. Considering the reboot in development it's going to take time.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
SE NEVER said episodes... it's the stupid internet.

They said parts as FFXIII trilogy each in size.

SO because they didn't show anything outside Midgar it means it will take place only in Midgar?

What a logic...

Again never said Episodes.. always said parts like a trilogy, but hey it's always nice to exaggerate the nativity when it comes to FFVIIR news.

And again people are forgetting how small % of the story and events takes place in Midgar.

More like Part 1 ends on the ship leaving first continent.

Episodes, parts, whatever you want to call it. This is modern SE we're talking about here so people are priming themselves for disappointment. The way this game is looking now, comparisons to the original aren't going to hold much merit. Depending on your imagination, Midgar could be a massive open world city.... or some FF13 style hallways with pretty backgrounds. We just don't know. If they are going to put a lot of effort into the city then it makes sense to add content to flesh it out. Ending at Midgar also just seems a logical ending point. Prior to this remake people would always comment it felt like a new game after leaving Midgar.

My point is that it wouldn't surprise me given SE development incompetence, and the realities of reimagining the FFVII content in modern terms, that the first part/episode ends at Midgar. Ending at leaving the first continent would be a really, really huge game.

All I know is that if they do break it up like that, I want the next title in 2 years ala the FFXIII trilogy. None of this 5-7 year development time nonsense.

Oct 26, 2017
I just really hope this game is made right. cause there is no point in doing a remake unless they can give it the love and the attention it needs. It has to be massive and modern for us to like it.

1. using the original story with some minor improvements if needed. add story content to fill out stuff.
2. build the open world and fill it with ALL content from original game and add to it. Bounties system from FFXV, more hidden side quests and other secrets, like op weapons, bosses, secret caves etc. Make the open world living and free roaming.
3. Chocobo riding needs to be in it like in FFXV.
4. Towns, all towns that was in FF7 need to be in the game obviously. this game will offer a different gameplay style than the original game. so the towns will have to be larger than they where in FF7. Make them living.
5. this game needs to be taken on like a brand new modern FF game, budget and all. not half assing it.

If they make it right this could become a masterpiece.

I am slightly worried about the periodic releases though. Should have just been a stand alone game. how many years could it have taken to have done that.
I know SE is the slowest game company ever, but still most of the idea behind FF7 is already done.so there is no need to sit and think about how shit should look. we already know what it looks like. they just had to recreate the world in todays graphics and add the stuff to it and create new content for it to tie it all together.

i20bot

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Weird, you guys keep talking about PS4 and PS5 only. I'm gonna get this on Xbox Scarlet.

Oct 28, 2017
Only having first disc as a whole seems like it will lead to an extremly badly pased game. I imagine it taking a lot more time getting through first episode of the remake than the first disc of the original.

That's the main thing.
FF7 isn't as big as some people are letting on, i think i clocked in at under 40 hours on my last playthrough with doing a lot of the side stuff. Plus ya know, witcher 3 was fine as one, huge game.

Honestly this was the strength of the PSX era JRPG's (and especially with the FF's) you went on an epic complete adventure in 40 hours.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
knew it when the 2nd trailer only showed midgar

I don't care much I guess. At least this means it's like H1 2020 release at the latest for part one.

....right

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think it's either episode or like FFVII compilation but remade.

Episode 1 till Aerith's death (cliffhanger!) and Episode 2 for the rest.

Or

FFVII full game, then Advent Children game, then Crisis Core game.

Episode 1 will be Midgar only. It's so clear in the trailers.
The Episode = PSX Disc theory is nonsense for a remake like this.

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
i think the first episode will be a 40$ game that will contain Midgar only and honestly i would be fine with that.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Jessie, Biggs and Wedge getting more screen time is gonna be great