• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
A. Accept that cloud/stream gaming will eventually help us from these inevitable rising download sizes.
B. Accept that the more we go high definition(4k, 8k, 12k), the more disk space we will need to buy for those high definition experiences.
C. Accept that we will eventually all need higher bandwidth to download 100+ GB files, which will inevitably push us into cloud/stream gaming anyway.
D. Deny all of the above and complain that the developers aren't compressing a 4k game enough to your liking.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Geez, thats some outta control file sizes. Sony really needs that selective install thing MS got where ya can choose which language/res video files/etc. you want instead of just having to install various things you wouldn't even be using.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Of course and this is just episode 1 and not full game. SSDs for next-gen should be at least 2TBs or we will face problems day one.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You don't hide an open world, that's marketing material. I'm sorry, that's not how you sell a game AT ALL.
The only marketing this game needs are trailers showing Cloud, Tifa and Aerith followed by its name at the end. But no, it won't be completely open world but I am sure we will be able to explore a lot of Midgar.

Btw kinda tempted to play the OG FFVII again. The nostalgia is hitting me hard at the moment.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The only marketing this game needs are trailers showing Cloud, Tifa and Aerith followed by its name at the end.

Btw kinda tempted to play the OG FFVII again. The nostalgia is hitting me hard at the moment.

That's not how you sell a game, though. Nostalgia pandering works for a fragment of the audience but it doesn't bring in new people.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
When all of the parts are on PC, they might just take up an entire hard drive themselves.

S-E is crazy y'all.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
You think that's bad, just wait for part 2. It's going to be even bigger than 100 GB, especially when developing this game with Native 1080p or Native 4K with their assets & textures along with using uncompressed audio & video.

A. Accept that cloud/stream gaming will eventually help us from these inevitable rising download sizes.
B. Accept that the more we go high definition(4k, 8k, 12k), the more disk space we will need to buy for those high definition experiences.
C. Accept that we will eventually all need higher bandwidth to download 100+ GB files, which will inevitably push us into cloud/stream gaming anyway.
D. Deny all of the above and complain that the developers aren't compressing a 4k game enough to your liking.

Or just make less AAA/AAAA games.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Cutscenes are pre-rendered? I thought they are all realtime.

Have you not seen any trailers for this game? Because IMO the visual gap between CG and in-game is still easily noticeable.

All of you saying cutscenes -- did they state somewhere they're doing pre-rendered cutscenes for this game? who renders cutscenes anymore!?

Game has pre-rendered CGI cinematics sprinkled throughout just like pretty much every other Final Fantasy game.

Final Fantasy XV sits at about 95gb on my PS4. Nobody bats an eye.

"Patch 1.32 notes:

-new item added in certain stores

12 GB"

XV definitely felt like a game where the devs sucked at compression lol

Last edited:

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know how many CG cutscenes are in the game? I know S-E was very much focused on high image quality for all of the ones in FFXIII which ballooned its filesize on PS3.

Uncompressed CG cutscenes can help explain why this is so large. Or that they've secretly prepared this for 4K 60fps for PS5...or more likely didn't compress it well. :p

Oct 31, 2017
Or maybe they're saving the new stuff for launch, and current marketing is directed at nostalgia. We can't 100% know until release. We don't even know exactly how big the Midgar map is going to be, it could be a huge open world-ish map densely filled with random BS.

I'm very excited for this game but please don't get your hopes up. For your own sake, go into it with a "what you see is what you get" mentality, because 99% of the time, that's the case.

We've barely seen any exploration for the game, so I definitely believe that it will be a largely linear experience, with the ability to backtrack and do some quests and replay minigames and whatnot.

Do we know how many CG cutscenes are in the game? I know S-E was very much focused on high image quality for all of the ones in FFXIII which ballooned its filesize on PS3.

Uncompressed CG cutscenes can help explain why this is so large. Or that they've secretly prepared this for 4K 60fps for PS5...or more likely didn't compress it well. :p

So far, based on trailers, we've seen 3 separate CG cutscenes.

Nomura's other most recent game, KH3, only showed like 10 seconds of one CG cutscene in trailers, and a millisecond of another one. The full game had over a dozen CG cutscenes, one of which was an action-packed, heavily marketable scene that was ten minutes long and it wasn't shown in trailers at all. But to not get my hopes up I'm going to expect like 6 CG cutscenes total :p

So, I would attribute most of the file size to the different languages being included, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it's due to CG cutscenes.

Last edited:

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
It's probably that next gen games will reduce it's size due to SSD R/W so devs can avoid duplicated files. This is one of the last wave AAA games of the generation and there we can see one of the limitations of HDDs.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna be blunt, this just seems like really shitty compression to me. Midgar is not nearly substantial enough story-wise to justify wasting that much HDD space.

I don't frequent this forum enough to know people's tendencies, but from the two posts about FF7R (The side quest screenshots and now this) you seem to have a habit of posting purposefully inflammatory takes just for the sake of it, made worse by not having anything to back up your opinions.

Game size is big.
--- Shitty compression
Why?
--- Not enough in Midgar to to warrant 100 GB

You seem to be really hung up on this idea of Midgar not being big enough. I can understand thinking the side quests are there to pad out the game, which is a fair assumption...but saying the game shouldn't be this big because Midgar is tiny, knowing there's going to be so many new and expanded things aside from all the cinematics...just comes across as trolling at this point.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Why do these games need to install so much? What is the point of having the 2 disks if it needs to install that much? Honest question, I just don't get how it works vs games that used to not need to install at all.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Why do these games need to install so much? What is the point of having the 2 disks if it needs to install that much? Honest question, I just don't get how it works vs games that used to not need to install at all.
HDDs are faster than reading from the disc ans it's paramount to many game's streaming/even functioning that the games can access as much data as fast as possible.

Oct 31, 2017
They could just as easily add more story to the rest of the game as they are to Midgar to help flesh things out. They are already adding story elements with the floating black ghost things so who's to say they won't do so for the rest of the adventure? I just don't see this being fewer than 5 parts. Hoping we get 1 part every other year once this first one is released. But, that's just wishful thinking. I see part 2 ending with the major event that happens near the end of OG disc 1. So, Disc 2 would be 2 more parts and Disc 3 a 5th part since it's not that long.

The only thing SE has compared the remake to is the FFXIII trilogy

Now, is this subject to change? Absolutely.

But I just think people posting stuff like "ugh Part 2 is going to just be the Nibelheim Flashback up until getting to the Reactor and Part 3 will be the Flashback part 2 and Part 4 I can see being the Mythril Mine and MAYBE the Harbor, Part 5 for sure will be only the Junon boat, Part 6 will be a etc." are being overly paranoid IMO.

We really do not know everything this includes, and we don't know how the development process for this went for us to make actual reasonable guesses on how many parts the remake will be. Again, the only thing we really have to go off of is the FFXIII trilogy comparison.

Also Disc 3 is literally just the final dungeon

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
This is an entire game.
Okay sure, but you know what I mean right?

If i lived under a rock or without internet for 20 years, buy the game because i loved the original, looking forward to leave Midgar and... the game stops, the story is not finished... You can divide it into 20 parts and call it a full game, that does not make it so perse.

Not saying it won't include the content or be worthy of a full game..but you know what I mean right?

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017

If i lived under a rock or without internet for 20 years, buy the game because i loved the original, looking forward to leave Midgar and... the game stops, the story is not finished... You can divide it into 20 parts and call it a full game, that does not make it so perse.

Not saying it won't include the content or be worthy of a full game..but you know what I mean right?

then it would be like a million other products that end before the story's finished

can people drop this already Jesus

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's not how you sell a game, though. Nostalgia pandering works for a fragment of the audience but it doesn't bring in new people.
I think it might be enough for this part of the FFVII project though. Fans of the original are excited just to see this world again and new players seem hyped about the stunning graphics and the epic fights and most of them have heard about FFVII before, so this might be the point where they finally give it a try and see what all the fuss is about.
I am not sure if this sort of marketing will work for Part 2 and 3 as well but it seems to be doing just fine for this one.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

Yes I do. Just like the the godfather book was split in two movies (the third one doesn't exist), they're doing the same with final fantasy vii. Good luck waiting for the complete story though.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Same info here but unsure if this is finalised.

hkpvziz8dvh41.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think it might be enough for this part of the FFVII project though. Fans of the original are excited just to see this world again and new players seem hyped about the stunning graphics and the epic fights and most of them have heard about FFVII before, so this might be the point where they finally give it a try and see what all the fuss is about.
I am not sure if this sort of marketing will work for Part 2 and 3 as well but it seems to be doing just fine for this one.

I'm just saying, that kind of behavior is SO COUNTER to how any rational corporate entity would ever act that I really don't think people should put all their faith behind it.

"They're just hiding this MASSIVE SELLING POINT to focus on nostalgia!" is the kind of hopeful wishful thinking that will just lead to disappointment in the future. Companies always want more money, and they always want to get more eyes and more potential sales for their products. Hiding major selling points is not how you market a project.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
uncompressed video is fucking massive. 5 minutes of uncompressed 1080p 8-bit video @24fps is a bit over 40GB. the videos are compressed they're even using Bink Video for compressing them.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
this needs to be released on xbox one x or on next-gen, i dont want to play compressed shit on only 100gb.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
Appreciate you fighting the good fight, but I doubt you're going to change any minds. They will just keep arguing on the basis that Midgar is only 4 hours of the original game.

the best part is people puzzling their minds on how a "4 hour Midgar" can be 100gb hahaha

yes the story is only one part but this is a whole full blown new game.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
That is such a weird blurb on the back of the box. "Covers up to the parties escape from Midgar". Just reads sort of strange.