• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
I'm genuinely surprised why it's taken so long for the industry to adopt more practical compression solutions.. why are people okay with games requiring 70+ gb?

You cant use compression with 3d models, textures or audio for games which are pulling data off an old shitty laptop drive. assets also need to be duplicated like mad so that the hard drive doesnt have to reach too far to stream them into memory.

the next gen of consoles with custom SSD drives could potentially result in much, much smaller file sizes. it might not, but it could.
custom hardware to handle decompression is also cheaper these days so that can take some of the load off the cpu, we'll see soon if the new consoles feature hardware to support this. I suspect they both will.
multiplatform games will not support this, so COD will still be 150gb+, only exclusives can take advantage.

Last edited:

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I'm 99.99 percent joking when I say this but any shot this game pulls a MGS2 and they've only been releasing screens of the Midgar part and the whole game is in here lol

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
1TB, ships in 2032. And no I'm not trying to be a jerk, if they're adding so much to just Midgar, I can't imagine how much they'll add to other various scenarios like The Gold Saucer.
Lol I can't believe people think this series of games will keep this level of ambition. I expect it to less so each new entry. Sales will reflect this.

DrewM1788

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Man judging by some of these expectations (especially ones that refuse to accept it ends with the Midgar escape) this game has an insane uphill battle ahead of it. I guess it was always going to be that way though.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm genuinely surprised why it's taken so long for the industry to adopt more practical compression solutions.. why are people okay with games requiring 70+ gb?

You have to decompress it into something at some point, it takes time to decompress and it takes lots of CPu to decompress.

So you'd have a bandwidth saving, but would be left with a game that takes 2 hours to unpack and/or a console that can't be used when it's unpacking.Not a great experience

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still can't figure out how they made the opening section of FF7 into a game this large.

I still think this shit is going to be as ridiculous as FF15 was when it comes to story telling.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Wait guys, hold up. I'm going to e-mail SE with a link to download WinRAR. Perhaps there will be enough time for them to compress the game down to just 3 CD-ROMs.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be blunt, this just seems like really shitty compression to me. Midgar is not nearly substantial enough story-wise to justify wasting that much HDD space.

Final Fantasy XV sits at about 95gb on my PS4. Nobody bats an eye.

They patched it last year and cut the download size down by half by removing Comrades and turning it into its own app, though. My FFXV install is 46GB or so.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna be blunt, this just seems like really shitty compression to me. Midgar is not nearly substantial enough story-wise to justify wasting that much HDD space.

They patched it last year and cut the download size down by half by removing Comrades and turning it into its own app, though. My FFXV install is 46GB or so.
You know everything behind the scenes does ur dad work at nintendo

Oct 25, 2017
Not an issue to me, but I still wish I didn't have to download things like audio in languages I'll never use, or 4K prerendered videos. Hopefully next gen we'll have more freedom with that kind of stuff.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's been brought up, but nothing at all in their marketing or artwork denotes that this is only part 1 of a remake series. I don't think I've even seen it reiterated in interviews or press coverage. They're likely keeping it quiet to not confuse consumers, but is there any chance that this is the whole game?

Edit: Nevermind, found several articles debunking my question
This is blatantly false. On the official website it's on the front page ("The story of this first, standalone game in the FFVII Remake project covers up to the party's escape from Midgar") and SQEX store has similar info in the second paragraph that this is the first part of this remake saga and they've reiterated that fact multiple times during showings that this would only take us up to the escape from Midgar. They aren't trying to hide it, their messaging about it has been quite clear ever since they revealed this would be more than one game in, like, early 2016 or whenever it was (well, they only revealed it's up to Midgar last year, but the multigame part has been repeated).

They've even given their reasoning why there are no subtitles or anything, like it or not (they think a subtitle could make this seem like a spin-off, and numberings could make it seem less than it is or something like that).

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't figure out how they made the opening section of FF7 into a game this large.

I still think this shit is going to be as ridiculous as FF15 was when it comes to story telling.
Midgar is a huge metropolis. You traverse through a fairly significant portion of it even in the original game, it's just obscured by fucktons of loading screens that can push you forward a lot. Now imagine that experience but in a more realistic scale and through (almost) entirely seamless gameplay in fully 3d environments (imagine how much connective tissue you have to make to make the OG FFVII Midgar traversable without loading screens to skip traversal). + some old environments are slightly larger to allow for a bit more exploration (instead of the claustrophobic OG locations) + some expansion & additions on top of that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
But... stay with me here.... what if they added stuff to the midgar section?

naaahhh? too crazy right?

It's Square Enix. They've shown virtually NOTHING new so far. I'm sorry, but you'll have to forgive me for not thinking they're going to add FIFTY GIGABYTES WORTH OF BRAND NEW, UNIQUE CONTENT that they refuse to talk about, show off or advertise a month before launch.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But... stay with me here.... what if they added stuff to the midgar section?

naaahhh? too crazy right?
If they didn't show PlanetSmasher the extra content, it must not exist.

adding an extra disk of content is extra money square would have to spend on logistics. Why would they do that, for fun? Or perhaps they actually have a hefty game prepped?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
It's Square Enix. They've shown virtually NOTHING new so far. I'm sorry, but you'll have to forgive me for not thinking they're going to add FIFTY GIGABYTES WORTH OF BRAND NEW, UNIQUE CONTENT that they refuse to talk about, show off or advertise a month before launch.
this isn't true. They've shown new stuff. Cloud and co didn't just magically teleport to the sky in parachutes. Some sequence of events not from the OG game will get them there. The new Soldier dude seems like he could be a recurring enemy (at least 2-3 times) and that'll take time to resolve that's completely extra to the OG scenario. There's the shadow tornado and their seemingly numerous appearances throughout the game. We fight Jenova. I imagine that whole shebang is going to be some ~30 minute thing (including cutscenes prior to and after the fight). We know they've expanded locations like the train graveyard by quite a lot. There's all the connective tissue between the original locations that'll alone add a huge amount of new content. Then there's stuff like the Honey Bee Inn that seems somewhat expanded upon and more of a spectacle (probably won't add hours to the game but smaller things do add up as well).

And who knows, maybe the recent preview event was meant to showcase the expanded upon aspects of the remake and we'll hear about it soon

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Or maybe they're saving the new stuff for launch, and current marketing is directed at nostalgia. We can't 100% know until release. We don't even know exactly how big the Midgar map is going to be, it could be a huge open world-ish map densely filled with random BS.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe they're saving the new stuff for launch, and current marketing is directed at nostalgia. We can't 100% know until release. We don't even know exactly how big the Midgar map is going to be, it could be a huge open world-ish map densely filled with random BS.

You don't hide an open world, that's marketing material. I'm sorry, that's not how you sell a game AT ALL.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
You don't hide an open world, that's marketing material. I'm sorry, that's not how you sell a game AT ALL.
Being open world doesn't automatically mean a larger file size or being more linear doesn't automatically mean smaller file sizes. At this point this remake has been in development for longer than FFXV. It's not unfathomable that they'd have created more assets to fill up this much space. FFXV might've been open world but it also had a lot of asset repetition. FFVII is constantly pushing you to new unique locations and the remake will have even more of it with it having to create all the connective tissue between all the OG locations. It's gonna be really dense + I'd say most everything is of higher quality than FFXV on average, so that's probably upping file sizes too.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Being open world doesn't automatically mean a larger file size or being more linear doesn't automatically mean smaller file sizes. At this point this remake has been in development for longer than FFXV. It's not unfathomable that they'd have created more assets to fill up this much space. FFXV might've been open world but it also had a lot of asset repetition. FFVII is constantly pushing you to new unique locations and the remake will have even more of it with it having to create all the connective tissue between all the OG locations. It's gonna be really dense + I'd say most everything is of higher quality than FFXV on average, so that's probably upping file sizes too.

We'll see what happens. I just have no faith in them pulling out a positive surprise - Square is very, very blatant about what's in their games. They don't like secrets outside of their endings. They market EVERYTHING.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
We'll see what happens. I just have no faith in them pulling out a positive surprise - Square is very, very blatant about what's in their games. They don't like secrets outside of their endings. They market EVERYTHING.
My point wasn't that they are hiding that all of Midgar is actually explorable. My point was that a relatively empty area of wilderness with some repeated rocks and trees and 10 different enemy types of FFXV that you run around in for 2 hours can take less space than a 2 hour segment of FFVII that takes us from extremely detailed busy city streets to a train tunnel and then a train graveyard and five other completely different locales (& the pathways connecting them) that has 20 different enemy types, several cutscenes and one or two cinematic boss fights thrown in there for good measure. Density & quality of the content matters too.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I thought I was pessimistic. Man does it even pay off to be like this? I can understand not trusting SE considering their track record recently but man I feel like it's impossible to discuss anything with you. One thing I have to give you though is that you've definitely been a constant over this last half year in regards to this game lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I thought I was pessimistic. Man does it even pay off to be like this? I can understand not trusting SE considering their track record recently but man I feel like it's impossible to discuss anything with you. One thing I have to give you though is that you've definitely been a constant over this last half year in regards to this game lol

I mean, it CAN. If they actually pull it off, it'll be a pleasant surprise. If they don't, at least I won't have gotten my hopes up, you know?

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, it CAN. If they actually pull it off, it'll be a pleasant surprise. If they don't, at least I won't have gotten my hopes up, you know?
I mean I get that but it's also fun hoping it's going to be good. I'm quite excited for it but if it turns out that they mess it up at least I have the memories of looking forward to it and also the original game still. Different strokes for different folks though eh

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I get that but it's also fun hoping it's going to be good. I'm quite excited for it but if it turns out that they mess it up at least I have the memories of looking forward to it and also the original game still. Different strokes for different folks though eh

I'm so tired of being let down. I spent literally a decade waiting for Versus and - this is not hyperbole or a joke - at one point, needing to get closure on that goddamn game was the only reason I didn't kill myself when my depression was at its absolute worst.

I can't put that kind of hope into anything they make anymore, outside of YoshiP and his team. It's just been too many letdowns, y'know?