• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
So is there a reason why no one made a fuss about RDR2 being huge?

Do people think FF7R is gonna be a bunch of linear hallways or something

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
FF7R is not episodic, it's just broken up into parts like movie trilogies are (we don't know how many parts there will in the end, though). Part two will basically be a new game that will almost certainly need to be purchased separately.
Well that kinda sucks, we dont even know how many parts and when and how much?

Man the game looks great, i absolutely get it and im not here to bash it, but are you not all bummed because of how its releasing?

I never played the game and really look forward to playing it, but i want to wait until the entire game releases.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I've never seen any one claim the remake covers 1/3rd of the original, most claims are it covers around 1/5th or less.
It's about 1/3rd of the SCRIPT. Once you get out of Midgar, the gaps between cutscenes gets a lot longer vs. Midgar constantly stopping for dialogue/cutscenes.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why are people complaining? It's going to be a hefty game, bring it on. If you want free space don't buy it.

Final fantasy 7 I give you permission to use all my jiggawatts

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
I have no idea how much space my PS4 Pro has. A bit more annoyed at the thought of waiting for this to install though. Gonna be at the door waiting for the package, then waiting some more, I guess.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Man the game looks great, i absolutely get it and im not here to bash it, but are you not all bummed because of how its releasing?

I never played the game and really look forward to playing it, but i want to wait until the entire game releases.

It's a complete game, just not the whole of the OG FF VII. It will have as much as content as a "normal" FF mainline game, so expect something like 30 to 40 hours for the story.
Given the attention to detail, there was no way they could release the full package at once.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I've never seen any one claim the remake covers 1/3rd of the original, most claims are it covers around 1/5th or less.
It covers MIdgar, which is about a fifth of the playtime of VII but about a third of the actual script. The game's pacing slows way down after Midgar.

So is there a reason why no one made a fuss about RDR2 being huge?

Do people think FF7R is gonna be a bunch of linear hallways or something
I think that definitely is a worry for some people. I don't expect that but I also don't expect a huge, explorable environment.

I think we're going to get some decent sized areas to explore, each with a few side quest, but that's its still largely going to be a linear experience. Which is the kind of experience Final Fantasy does best anyway. I think their attempt at a big, mission-filled open world in XV fell flat.

We've known for a few years that it was going to be multiple installments, and I think with the sheer amount of production value we've seen since the re-reveal last year, most people are more understanding of the idea now. But it's still probably the biggest sticking point for most people, and the cause of most of the negative discussion around it. Everything else has been received largely positively.

And, as others have said, you won't be waiting for the "full game". This is a full game (or at least Square intends it to be). You'll be waiting for the full series that, when taken together, retell an expanded version of the narrative of Final Fantasy VII.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

Then you're waiting for another 5-6 years at least.

And no, I'm not all that bummed. I'm used to waiting for years for the continuation for different things (ASOIAF's Winds of Winter lolololol... :'( ) + there's always that next part of something waiting around the corner (as well as completely new things to get into), so it's not like I'm only waiting for FFVIIR Part 2 once I'm done with part 1.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I would think midgar will be one of if not the most resource intensive areas. Aside from the gold saucer everything else is relatively standard fantasy environs

Though this is without knowing if the other 'episodes' are full blown open world, semi open, linear ect
Part 2 will have extended Junon, Costa Del Sol (which could be the same size of Lestallum) and Golden Saucer (Corel underneath)

I think the mountains of the north continent and forests of Wutai will be in part 3 and the isles like Mideel, which reimagined could be like the size of a smaller open world game like Red Dead Redemption. I'll be suprised if Wutai isn't turned into a city.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I guess I need to delete a bunch of games I don't play. Hopefully this game doesn't blow up my launch day system.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Well with 2 disc it was expected... I wonder what takes all this space!

On a side note:
still dont understand why people says its "not even the full game!!!"... its a remake, it will be a full game taking part on the midgar story section... its not a remake 1:1 of the original one nor in story nor in gameplay...
It's not that hard to see when it says FFVII remake on the front, people are cynical about what is being inferred. The whole journey you're not getting.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
It covers MIdgar, which is about a fifth of the playtime of VII but about a third of the actual script. The game's pacing slows way down after Midgar.

I think that definitely is a worry for some people. I don't expect that but I also don't expect a huge, explorable environment.

I think we're going to get some decent sized areas to explore, each with a few side quest, but that's its still largely going to be a linear experience. Which is the kind of experience Final Fantasy does best anyway. I think their attempt at a big, mission-filled open world in XV fell flat.

We've known for a few years that it was going to be multiple installments, and I think with the sheer amount of production value we've seen since the re-reveal last year, most people are more understanding of the idea now. But it's still probably the biggest sticking point for most people, and the cause of most of the negative discussion around it. Everything else has been received largely positively.

And, as others have said, you won't be waiting for the "full game". This is a full game (or at least Square intends it to be). You'll be waiting for the full series that, when taken together, retell an expanded version of the narrative of Final Fantasy VII.
Well that makes a bit more sense, after googling it for a bit just now as well.

Looks like an experience worth the price and time, i might dip in and go along with it as well.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
It's a complete game, just not the whole of the OG FF VII. It will have as much as content as a "normal" FF mainline game, so expect something like 30 to 40 hours for the story.
Given the attention to detail, there was no way they could release the full package at once.
If it's actually 40 hours, expect there to be like 10 parts to this remake

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
We don't know what the complete content will be about and it is worth noting. 95% of what we've seen so far are things from the original game and Midgar is merely a 6-hour ride in the original, we still don't know where the other supposed 35 hours are coming from.

If the playtime and full content is like the Crisis Core formula fo 10 hours of actual content and 15 hours of rote and repetitive mission then I would hardly consider it a full game in the first place. That the game already advertises fetch quests doesn't fill me with confidence.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Was Midgar even 1/4? It was roughly five hours of the whole game. Like the fuck did they do?
Midgar is a huge metropolis. Even just taking the OG Midgar scenario and JUST making that in full 3D, more (or perhaps even entirely) seamless & connected and in a more realistic scale is going to add lots of hours and assets they have to create. Then add some slightly expanded environments that allow for a bit more exploration (at least in some parts) and the remake will have even more extra over the OG.

And then imagine that they've actually expanded upon the original scenario and aren't just doing a 1:1 recreation (w/necessary connective tissue). It's not all that hard to imagine how it can turn pretty massive.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
We don't know what the complete content will be about and it is worth noting. 95% of what we've seen so far are things from the original game and Midgar is merely a 6-hour ride in the original, we still don't know where the other supposed 35 hours are coming from.

If the playtime and full content is like the Crisis Core formula fo 10 hours of actual content and 15 hours of rote and repetitive mission then I would hardly consider it a full game in the first place. That the game already advertises fetch quests doesn't fill me with confidence.
"Already advertises fetch quests"? lol, we're not much more than a month from release. They've kept everything except the 1:1 recreation of FFVII pretty well under wraps for the game being so close to release. And the "fetch quest advertising" so far amounts to, like, 1 screenshot.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
"Already advertises fetch quests"? lol, we're not much more than a month from release. They've kept everything except the 1:1 recreation of FFVII pretty well under wraps for the game being so close to release.
1:1 recreation is a massive stretch. We'll see how that pans out, maybe they have a whole batch of secrets still unseen, but that still remains to be seen at the end of the day. And yeah, those quests looks to be massively uninteresting from the outset and I don't know why you would showcase them.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
1:1 recreation is a massive stretch. We'll see how that pans out, maybe they have a whole batch of secrets still unseen, but that still remains to be seen at the end of the day. And yeah, those quests looks to be massively uninteresting from the outset and I don't know why you would showcase them.
I meant that what we've seen so far has been fairly faithful recreations of the original game (with some small deviations & additions). Like, 90+% of the footage has been about story beats almost directly replicating or at least referencing the OG scenario as well as combat against bosses & enemies from the original game.

And this "fetch quest advertising" is just 1 screenshot at this point. + They are optional. If you hate them that much, just don't do them, no one is forcing you to.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hope the PS5 has lots of storage space and doesn't scream like my poor PS4.

Crazy to think that when all this is done the entire VII experience will probably be like... 400gb.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Why are people complaining? It's going to be a hefty game, bring it on. If you want free space don't buy it.
Because this takes a huge bite out of my ISP's data cap. It's more my ISP's fault than Square Enix's fault but it's still frustrating for me whenever I see these massive games.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All of you saying cutscenes -- did they state somewhere they're doing pre-rendered cutscenes for this game? who renders cutscenes anymore!?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm genuinely surprised why it's taken so long for the industry to adopt more practical compression solutions.. why are people okay with games requiring 70+ gb?

Why do you assume this is because of compression solutions, and not a result of on-disc content? Also, I think you're really over estimating what compression is capable of while still delivering a quality product. No one would be happy playing FFVIIR if the cutscenes were loaded with compression artifacts, or if the audio wasn't full bodied & clear.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Didnt really think this would be an issue. RDR is this big. Battlefront 2 is this big. Hell Hitman 2 is bigger than this and also bigger than both the aforementioned. I'd assumed anyone with data caps would typically buy physical. I was basically forced to do the same when we were stuck on dial up until only a couple years ago.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

The entire game releases on April 10.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Naughty Dog and plenty of others have used pre-rendered cutscenes for various reasons.

And the opening is clearly pre-rendered and I think we've possibly seen at least a couple of other scenes that look like they might be pre-rendered.

ND hasn't for years.

Just watched the ff opening though, I guess it is. Weird!

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
True to the original which was 3 disk. Square went from a few MBs on SNES to nearly 2 GB.

Funny enough the full game data was only 250 mb and could have fitted on one disc heck the entire game was included on all three discs if im not mistaken.

Last edited:

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
There's only another single-player game with a 100GB file size. That's RDR2. There's no way in hell FF7R even remotely approaches the amount of content and assets in that game.

that's not how it works.

a simple asset with a moderate number of polygons and mid res texture weights less than a mb and the engine only loads once via prefabs.

a 5 hour game like The Order can have the same size as Witcher 3, both with 50gb more or less, also TLOU Remastered, a PS3 game. a single 4k texture can weight up to 60mb, and if it's in one character with audio files and animations... you can guess :)

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
If you're in the EU and you didn't download any "add-ons" like wallpapers etc you can refund it by law.

As a side note, anyone know when the full game will be out?
I'm not one for "episodic releases", I need to be able to play it in one go.

Edit: not one go as in one sitting, but not interrupted by a few years of development

Thanks for the tip.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Cool hack:

Start the knights of the round animation as you start downloading

By the time the animation is over, the game will have been downloaded

Dont forget Knights of the Round with that 4x materia and someone else with the copy following that move for a good 1 hour break.