• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

7th_heaven

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Something interesting I find in this interview. Mr. Koichi Ishii, father of the chocobo and moogle talk about Moogle design.
Source: https://na.finalfantasy.com/topics/176
"One of the characters that made its first appearance in FFIII was the moogles. You're the creator of moogles, correct?

Ishii:
Well, the one who actually created moogles was me as an elementary school student. [laughs]
I made the character when I was in elementary school, at which time I was drawing all kinds of fantasy creatures and the like. I liked koalas, and also animals that weren't so popular like frilled-neck lizards. But I especially liked koalas, so I'd draw koala-like creatures that were all white, similar to what was in the strategy guide I mentioned, bat-like things that were clinging to the ceiling, that kind of stuff. [laughs] White koalas with wings like a bat, but they can also blow up their body and float around. Those wings are for controlling direction in the air, not flapping around to fly.

―That makes moogles a character that's essentially a combination between a koala and a bat, then.

Ishii:
That's the physical make up of them, yes. That's also why they have a big nose and so on.
But it's clear that they're not simply just koalas. At first I wanted to make them like a koala, but they're not only koalas by any means. So if someone makes a moogle that's basically a koala, I think it would be something else entirely from the moogle I initially thought up. Although lately there have been moogles of all shapes and sizes. [laughs]

―Did you decide the sound that moogles make?

Ishii:
I'm pretty sure I wasn't the one who wrote the lines for moogles. The person in charge of writing lines in FFIII just ended up giving moogles that voice, I think. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that they would end up treated as this huge mascot character."

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense if you watch Pop Arena's Nick Knacks series on YouTube, which talks about the different koala shows that were on Nickelodeon during the 80s, many anime, and goes in-depth regarding the "koala craze" in Japan back in the day. FFIII came out in 1990, but no doubt there was some lingering love for those little furry guys during development.

I always said, if you wanna make a Moogle in a realistic form, as in appearing in a more "realistic" FF game, you break down what were the inspirations behind the fictional creature. Koala is apparent. It's got a koala nose and the eyes of a sleeping koala. I'd say it has cat ears and whiskers, perhaps have the long cheek fur you see on some cats. They have purplish bat-like wings, and the only non-natural aspect, a pompom antenna.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Huh, I'd always heard they were supposed to be a mix of moles and bats? Don't remember where I got that from though. Makes me see 7's mog in a better light.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
And then when SE make moogle become full Koala in 7R, ppl mad at that

But it's clear that they're not simply just koalas. At first I wanted to make them like a koala, but they're not only koalas by any means. So if someone makes a moogle that's basically a koala, I think it would be something else entirely from the moogle I initially thought up. Although lately there have been moogles of all shapes and sizes. [laughs]
He warned us.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Huh, I'd always heard they were supposed to be a mix of moles and bats? Don't remember where I got that from though. Makes me see 7's mog in a better light.
The Japanese name for Moogles is pretty much a mix of their words for mole and bat. Mole-bat is pretty much their name.

The Moogles from the Mana series games tended to look more koala-like, but Final Fantasy Moogles always looked more mole-like.