• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you going to try the Free Trial?

• Yes

Votes: 261 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 221 34.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 180 27.9%

• Total voters

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I don't play MMOs solo i play with friends and not being able to invite each other sucks, having to go through a workaround finding a paying member to invite us all to a group then leave each time is dumb
The restrictions are annoying, unfortunately they're necessary. I watched a quicklook of 2.0 just now and the chatlog was just nonstop goldseller spam in shouts, yells and whispers.

Would be nice if people who have played a large number of hours could "recruit" a small number of trial accounts to lift their restrictions, but perhaps that would just get exploited as well.

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
I finally gave this a whirl along with my sister and her bf. It's quite charming, but I wish more MMOs would have good content during the early game.

We're lvl 22 after a few days of playing. I've yet to go under 95% health, and every single combat encounter has been identical and repetitive. I'm not enjoying my Lancer very much. How long does it take before there's any meat on these gameplay bones? It feels like we're just passing time.

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
I finally gave this a whirl along with my sister and her bf. It's quite charming, but I wish more MMOs would have good content during the early game.

We're lvl 22 after a few days of playing. I've yet to go under 95% health, and every single combat encounter has been identical and repetitive. I'm not enjoying my Lancer very much. How long does it take before there's any meat on these gameplay bones? It feels like we're just passing time.
Around level 22 in the MSQ is when you start doing trials. The first one will be Ifrit, then Titan, followed by Garuda.

Sadly, combat outside of trials/raids/boss fights isn't very difficult or varied.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017

It takes a bit. once you get to 40-50 your rotation is going to get a lot more complicated and more interesting. Its much more engaging. 60 is when it gets really good.

Just take ya time and go through the process. Once you get breath of the dragon everything ramps up.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
THIS GAME WILL BORE YOU TO DEATH FOR 50h AND THEN IT MAYBE GETS GOOD

This should be the first line of every FF14 threads that's addressing noobs. I'm 35h in and it's all right but man, I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone. You gotta be a hardcore FF fan (which I am) with a huge Youtube backlog (which I got) to power through the boring content early in the game.

I'm enjoying it more than the WoW trial I played last year but maybe MMORPGs are just fucking boring. Slaying zombies on the beach in the first 2 minutes of Path of Exile is more fun than anything I've done in FF14.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017

Unfortunately, this has gotten worse over time as they've pruned abilities to keep max level players from having too much to manage. I think the last time they did it, they weren't at all successful with balancing that against making the lower levels fun. Especially pre-50 and class gauge.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah the next expansion absolutely needs to better balance when you get skills. As of right now, Dragoon is boring as hell until level 60~.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm tempted. I haven't played in a long time. I own Heavensward for both PC and PS4, but never leveled my dragoon past lvl 50. I heard there's an item I can buy to boost to level 70. So I am thinking of getting the latest expac on PS4 and using the boost, taking a day or two to relearn everything, then adventure with my best friend's sister who is still majorly into the game (and everything else FF for that matter).

For new people still asking, I personally think it's the best MMO on the market, even better than World of Warcraft, and it plays fantastic with a controller on PS4. I'd snag a good bluetooth keyboard to pair with the console, though.

Edit: alright I decided to download it at least. It says Shadowbringers on the PS Store - are they really giving away the latest expac? Also thank God it's downloading at about 20MBps today from PSN. Almost as fast as I can download games from Live!. 28 minute ETA for 46 GB. Please keep this the norm Sony

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm tempted. I haven't played in a long time. I own Heavensward for both PC and PS4, but never leveled my dragoon past lvl 50. I heard there's an item I can buy to boost to level 70. So I am thinking of getting the latest expac on PS4 and using the boost, taking a day or two to relearn everything, then adventure with my best friend's sister who is still majorly into the game (and everything else FF for that matter).

For new people still asking, I personally think it's the best MMO on the market, even better than World of Warcraft, and it plays fantastic with a controller on PS4. I'd snag a good bluetooth keyboard to pair with the console, though.

Edit: alright I decided to download it at least. It says Shadowbringers on the PS Store - are they really giving away the latest expac? Also thank God the it's downloading at about 20MBps today from PSN. Almost as fast as I can download games from Live!. 28 minute ETA for 46 GB. Please keep this the norm Sony

Leveling is really a non-factor at this point, so many things give you EXP, you're likely over leveled and will remain that way until Shadowbringers. I wouldn't waste money on level or story skips unless you don't care about money and also don't care about the story.

You can learn classes with more "complete" hotbars through Palace of the Dead and its Stormblood counterpart Heaven-On-High, but for where you're at, you really shouldn't have a complicated rotation yet, just read the abilities, they pruned the heck out of Dragoons. And it isn't like you're going to be judged on your damage numbers unless you're doing prestige content.

When you hit 26 you'll get your first combo finisher, and at 30 you can become a Dragoon and start jumping. I can't say that will single handedly make a low level lancer super engaging, but it will definitely get you killed in a myriad of hilarious ways.

Last edited:

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
Thanks for the response. We'll likely stick with it for a while longer until the story gets interesting or someone gets too bored.

Around level 22 in the MSQ is when you start doing trials. The first one will be Ifrit, then Titan, followed by Garuda.

Sadly, combat outside of trials/raids/boss fights isn't very difficult or varied.
It takes a bit. once you get to 40-50 your rotation is going to get a lot more complicated and more interesting. Its much more engaging. 60 is when it gets really good.

Just take ya time and go through the process. Once you get breath of the dragon everything ramps up.

This should be the first line of every FF14 threads that's addressing noobs. I'm 35h in and it's all right but man, I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone. You gotta be a hardcore FF fan (which I am) with a huge Youtube backlog (which I got) to power through the boring content early in the game.

I'm enjoying it more than the WoW trial I played last year but maybe MMORPGs are just fucking boring. Slaying zombies on the beach in the first 2 minutes of Path of Exile is more fun than anything I've done in FF14.
Unfortunately, this has gotten worse over time as they've pruned abilities to keep max level players from having too much to manage. I think the last time they did it, they weren't at all successful with balancing that against making the lower levels fun. Especially pre-50 and class gauge.
Yeah the next expansion absolutely needs to better balance when you get skills. As of right now, Dragoon is boring as hell until level 60~.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Hold the phone people! My previous experience with any FFXIV characters has only been ff record keeper and I just got to a scene here.....Papalymo or however you spell it, they're male??

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, I feel like it's just an inherency of the genre that doesn't need any special disclaimer. You're playing for the endgame with a good story, memorable characters, and fascinating world building to get you there. But the gameplay of leveling from 1-79 is just a tutorial for what the game will eventually turn into at 80.

As someone who started XIV last year with no real affinity for MMOs and no idea if I would actually like it or not, I can certainly understand how the greener grass seems like a myth. I think almost everyone does go through that at some points, but that as many people stick with it through the end and still recommend it like they do is really the only thing that can pull you through I guess.

For me, I think it was mostly the soundtrack that pulled me through when I wasn't feeling it. I at least had something to appreciate when I wasn't into the story or gameplay yet, and those things eventually came into place for me, as well.

You just have to believe the people that tell you the downs are eventually rewarded with the very highest of ups. I did and I found they weren't lying.

Last edited:

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hello guys I got some questions for a college who is going to try the free trail and I was wondering if anyone is knowledgeable here or could answer said question please. This is for a NA account.

So:

1. Does the Free Trail only contain the world "Crystal" and not the other two? Since he wanted to be in the same world as one of my sub characters (Primal/Ultros) but he couldn't find anything beyond what "Crystal" offered.

2. Can you transfer characters between servers or not. I never tried this since Ultros was fine for me but in the future if he would like to transfer said character from one server to the next, he was wondering if it was possible?

3. Does the free trail allow for crossplay? Not just PS4/PC but sub members with free trail members?

4. Once the trail is over can he add a sub to it or if he did enter a sub model would he have to start from scratch again with a new character? Since he is testing the game out right now but is willing to sub to continue his progress if he does indeed enjoy the game.

Thank you guys for your time, it is really appreciated.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017

ARR is bad, but I think overall it got worse for a lot of things. Like FFXIV was never a difficult game, but ARR's dungeons used to be at least moderately interesting and required you to pay some attention (It wasn't unusual to wipe in places like Haukke Manor, Aurum Valle and Wandering Palace's last boss). Nowadays because of potency changes everything is extremely braindead, which leads to a much less engaging gameplay.

Also there have been a lot of cuts, ability-wise. Stance-dancing on healers was sooo much fun and rewarding, but nowadays it's completely gone.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
They straight destroyed Merlyb's fire in HW, the new VO sounds too laid back. And anyone who tries to replace Gideon Emery is set up to climb a mountain.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
They straight destroyed Merlyb's fire in HW, the new VO sounds too laid back. And anyone who tries to replace Gideon Emery is set up to climb a mountain.
Urianger's new VA gets a lot better I think, he just needed time (and more lines) to grow into it. Gideon!Urianger is amazing though.

currytan

Sep 6, 2018
So if my parter and I are playing with free trial, we cannot do dungeons together? I mean, we can only play together if a paying user invite us to a party?

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
So if my parter and I are playing with free trial, we cannot do dungeons together? I mean, we can only play together if a paying user invite us to a party?

You can, sort of, if you queue in with a language limit to only players of uncommon language on your server you're likely to end up in the same party but with a slow queue

If you ask a paying user to invite you both to a party though the paying user can then leave, setting you two up. Ask in town and people should be happy to set you up

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
ARR is bad, but I think overall it got worse for a lot of things. Like FFXIV was never a difficult game, but ARR's dungeons used to be at least moderately interesting and required you to pay some attention (It wasn't unusual to wipe in places like Haukke Manor, Aurum Valle and Wandering Palace's last boss). Nowadays because of potency changes everything is extremely braindead, which leads to a much less engaging gameplay.

Also there have been a lot of cuts, ability-wise. Stance-dancing on healers was sooo much fun and rewarding, but nowadays it's completely gone.

I wish dungeons were a little more difficult, especially the ARR ones.

The only ARR dungeon that really can be a bit of a test is The Lost City of Amdapor, and that's only if you ignore the door mechanics on Diabolos.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Hello guys I got some questions for a college who is going to try the free trail and I was wondering if anyone is knowledgeable here or could answer said question please. This is for a NA account.

So:

1. Does the Free Trail only contain the world "Crystal" and not the other two? Since he wanted to be in the same world as one of my sub characters (Primal/Ultros) but he couldn't find anything beyond what "Crystal" offered.

2. Can you transfer characters between servers or not. I never tried this since Ultros was fine for me but in the future if he would like to transfer said character from one server to the next, he was wondering if it was possible?

3. Does the free trail allow for crossplay? Not just PS4/PC but sub members with free trail members?

4. Once the trail is over can he add a sub to it or if he did enter a sub model would he have to start from scratch again with a new character? Since he is testing the game out right now but is willing to sub to continue his progress if he does indeed enjoy the game.

Thank you guys for your time, it is really appreciated.
1) No, you can play on any server. He needs to change his Data Center (option is on the main menu)

2) Yes, for real money

3) You can play with anyone on the free trial. It's all one unified player base.

4) You can continue your free trial character when you buy the full game.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
It should be noted for people playing the trial on Steam that it's NOT compatible with the SE store version, and you'll need to start over. However, the SE trial IS compatible with the full Steam version.

I learned this too late unfortunately and now I have a SE store code for the Complete Edition I need to offload lol.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I wish dungeons were a little more difficult, especially the ARR ones.

The only ARR dungeon that really can be a bit of a test is The Lost City of Amdapor, and that's only if you ignore the door mechanics on Diabolos.
Oh yeah, Diabolos' doors. Original Pharos was another good one, especially before the nerf. In general a lot of hard mode dungeons used to have some pretty interesting last bosses, nothing mind blowing, but it wasn't that unusual to wipe if you had newbies and you had to explain the mechanics, instead of zerking everything down.

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
The thing about FF14's current pre-60 gameplay is that it's not as fun as it used to be. The devs went back and cleaned up the button and ability bloat for high level players but this had the added affect of making early gameplay boring due to all the "streamlining" that happened. Older moves and play styles were removed, which is bad when leveling up, but great at high levels because you have a lot fewer countdowns and indicators you have to worry about.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
1) No, you can play on any server. He needs to change his Data Center (option is on the main menu)

2) Yes, for real money

3) You can play with anyone on the free trial. It's all one unified player base.

4) You can continue your free trial character when you buy the full game.
Thank you very much.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everytime I see Sweetnix Rosycheeks the Goblin in Limsa, and there are half naked people dancing around/near him with his back turned

b5d.gifv

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Hit the 300k gil cap in free trial. -.- What should I spend my gils on? The option is pretty limited without market access it feels like.

I tried a bit of crafting with materials you can buy from npc and that's just not my cup of tea. Plus in the early level the cost is pretty low anyway...

Last edited:

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Is there anywhere perhaps some side quest where I can get some cool gear around level 34 for monk? Handlers don't have much.
Do I need to farm company points?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Hit the 300k gil cap in free trial. -.- What should I spend my gils on? The option is pretty limited without market access it feels like.

I tried a bit of crafting with materials you can buy from npc and that's just not my cup of tea. Plus in the early level the cost is pretty low anyway...
Gil is pretty worthless outside of teleporting/repairs/housing without the market. Stuff like gear for alt classes can be bought with GC seals for much better equipment than vendors and you'd probably be flush with gear from dungeons anyways.

Is there anywhere perhaps some side quest where I can get some cool gear around level 34 for monk? Handlers don't have much.
Do I need to farm company points?

Yeah you're going to want the GC gear to fill in gaps from dungeon gear. Fates and turning in old gear should get you a decent amount of seals.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
I'm one of the rare people I guess that never was really bored with ARR. I enjoyed it, but I also hadn't played an MMO in a decade or so at that point so learning new systems, playing dungeons, etc was still fresh to me.

And eventually, not even TOO far in, the story starts to pick up. But hey, everyone is different!

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Gil is pretty worthless outside of teleporting/repairs/housing without the market. Stuff like gear for alt classes can be bought with GC seals for much better equipment than vendors and you'd probably be flush with gear from dungeons anyways.

ah okay. I haven't looked at GC stuff. Sounds like it's worth getting the rank up? I guess quest equipments are not worth holding on to then?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
ah okay. I haven't looked at GC stuff. Sounds like it's worth getting the rank up? I guess quest equipments are not worth holding on to then?
Quest equips from the MSQ are pretty solid actually but of course when you decide to level other classes you'll need to get more gear. You can glamour the stuff you like and trade in the stuff you don't for seals although its usually green and up rarity only. Once you reach 50/60 you'll be using gear you get from trading in a currency called tombstones of poetics that you get from the duty finder.

Oct 27, 2017
started back up a few days ago, still grinding through more story quests. is there a good HUD macro that hides everything except dialogue boxes, so i don't get distracted during story scenes? scroll lock hides everything, so if it's an unvoiced scene i have to turn it all back on

Oct 27, 2017
Once you reach 50/60 you'll be using gear you get from trading in a currency called tombstones of poetics that you get from the duty finder.

Do you have to unlock the ability to earn these? I just hit level 50, but I'm only on the level 38ish MSQ (snow area). I'd like to start earning some now if possible because from my understanding there's a required raid at the end which you need to gear up for.

Do you need to gear up before going onto the next expansion or is it more like WoW where they'll give you a bunch of gear at the beginning to catch you up?

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Do you have to unlock the ability to earn these? I just hit level 50, but I'm only on the level 38ish MSQ (snow area). I'd like to start earning some now if possible because from my understanding there's a required raid at the end which you need to gear up for.

Do you need to gear up before going onto the next expansion or is it more like WoW where they'll give you a bunch of gear at the beginning to catch you up?

Start doing your daily roulettes, you'll get poetics from doing them once a day I believe.

Those also are not endgame currency. It's for buying old gear (that is now effectively leveling gear) that used to be endgame gear in other older expansions.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can see the finish line but the main story quest had too much padding and backtracking for my taste. Quest lines like the one with the Titan banquet or the corrupted crystal are the worst. I hope the allegedly godly expansions make up for this.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

You don't start earning the tomestones until you reach the endgame of A Realm Reborn (lvl 50 MSQ).

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
I can see the finish line but the main story quest had too much padding and backtracking for my taste. Quest lines like the one with the Titan banquet or the corrupted crystal are the worst. I hope the allegedly godly expansions make up for this.

Yea there's so much filler. I used to read it all then stopped and only pay attention to the ones with VO for the most part.

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
After years of considering trying this game I finally jumped in last night! This new free trial is just so generous so I figure I have nothing to lose. I am planning to play very casually and enjoy most content solo and soak in the world. I have zero interest in late game and raid stuff. I must say I find the HUD and interface a bit overwhelming at first. There is so much shit going on... I know I can modify it, any suggestions on adjustments to the interface to make the experience cleaner? I am playing on PC with a controller.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
After years of considering trying this game I finally jumped in last night! This new free trial is just so generous so I figure I have nothing to lose. I am planning to play very casually and enjoy most content solo and soak in the world. I have zero interest in late game and raid stuff. I must say I find the HUD and interface a bit overwhelming at first. There is so much shit going on... I know I can modify it, any suggestions on adjustments to the interface to make the experience cleaner? I am playing on PC with a controller.

I don't play with a controller, but I find that messing with the size of HUD elements can be unexpectedly beneficial. I manually click on hotbar buttons so I pushed my hotbars to 120% for example, but you might prefer to increase the size of your enemies healthbar or shift stuff closer to the edges of the screen so you can see what's going on better. My HUD is still a work in progress, though.

Feb 15, 2019
How important is a lot of stuff in ARR in the grand scale of things? Other than character introductions and world building.

Cuz yeah at the very least the story from lvs 1-45 is ass and often times I have to hold myself from just clicking away dialogue real fast and just glossing over what they say. I guess the story's picking up where I am right now and it's actually getting the least bit interesting now
Garuda made 2 of the other races summon Ifrit and Titan and then all 3 got owned by the empire.
But then there's like 40 lv 50 quests before Heavensward which is a long way from now. And if there's another quest that takes me to like 9 different people that each have like a whole dialogue box filled to the brim just to talk about wine and how high quality it is and that they don't have any here that takes like 40 minutes to complete, I'm gonna lose it (Yeah I actually read all that shit they had to say about that stupidly long wine fetch quest).

Apoptomon

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Yes ARR is largely foundational in the sense that it's purpose is to introduce the world and lore, but the expansions all draw from plots / characters / places introduced there.
That overly large, drearily snowy zone between Titan and Garuda? That serves as the intro for the characters and plot of the fan-favourite first expansion, Heavensward. The mid-20s detour to help refugees, and a 2.x arc involving more refugees and a private army? That's Stormblood. The headache-visions and shady masked people? Those get answers in Shadowbringers.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
This thread might be of use to you.

Sure!

So to start you go to: Start -> System -> "Character Configuration" -> "HUD" (looks like the 8 squares) -> "Enable Hotbar 7" -> Click the 1x12 option.

Note: Make sure in this same menu that: "Hide Unassigned Slots" is on.

Then go to Start - > System -> Hud Layout -> Now it's called something different for each class but for PLD it's called the "Oath Guage" you simply click it (best to use mouse here) and drag it into the middle of the WXHB (you can use the d-pad to fine tune it's movement and press down on the right analog stick to increase size)

Then look around for Hotbar 7, drag it until it matches this:

1GrdCkp.png

Now save your HUD.

Start -> Character -> Actions & Traits -> General.

Your going to want to use your mouse for this but you want to click and hold Sprint and then drag it down to the very bottom spot of Hotbar 7. Once done you can exit out of your skill and none of the other assigned spots will show.

Now whenever you use the macro by clicking the right analog stick, you can see Sprint go on CD without it taking up a traditional spot.

Let me know if this helps... or not.

Edit: Also all of the dots in the bottom right corner is just showing you your inventory space at a glance.
Lol UI is a mess. Why would you need your class change and emote buttons anywhere but on the edge of the screen and sized down to like 70%???

Here is an older version of my ui mostly to show the place I like the party menu. Makes it so you need minimal eye movement to glace at how everyone is doing.
BLYbIxK.png
For some HUD inspiration, this is how I personally have mine as a Black Mage main. Before I decided on this, I looked at a lot of different people's HUD setups before settling on my own, and I also adjusted things as I went along and I still make small adjustments to this day. Don't be afraid to experiment and just pull up the HUD menu any time and adjust on the fly!

ImDlALh.png

qjdBOcX.png

I have all numerical information I want collected in one spot: what the boss status is, what my status is, whats up with my bars and whats up with my cooldowns. At this point in the game, I've gotten used to my rotation and abilities enough that my hands can just autopilot fighting, and I keep my eyes on the rest of the screen to make sure I'm staying out of AOEs and the like, but if I ever stumble or want to check what cooldowns I can pop or what the boss is casting, I just quickly glance down at my collection of HUDs, get the information I want, then look back at the battle.

But for your original issue, you're going to get used to it honestly! I also spent most of my ARR experience staring at my hotbars and cast bar, but as I kept playing I learned the timing of my spells and rotation and around the start of HW I was getting comfortable just trusting my hands and being able to look around at the battlefield instead of just my HUD.