• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you going to try the Free Trial?

• Yes

Votes: 261 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 221 34.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 180 27.9%

• Total voters

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really recommend just giving it a try. I've DF'd it many times and it's never failed. Some of the fights are a pain in the ass, yes, but ultimately, it is designed to be cleared by randoms so I'm confident you'll be able to clear it. Plus, it's just a plain beautiful dungeon! The new relics are honestly extremely good for the level of investment you need to make as well, so I think they'll be a crucial step in gearing for you.

I did the lighthouse yesterday and that was already horrible haha. Oh man.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so if I've a friend that already plays, I could get invited by them, they could invite the other trial person as well and we could play together? I thought Trial could also not get invited by others!
Should work unless they've changed something recently, yeah. Just got to find a way to ping them without a /tell !

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Hmm, quest trimming news is tempting, I'm always get stuck on filler quests between expansion storylines, they just never ends. In two tries I manage to get through 2.x, enjoyed Heavensward MSQ, but then stuck again somewhere on 3.x. Will those get trimmed too?

I hope they don't remove anything about 3.x nor 4.x, both post-expac patches are better than the expansions themselves. They would shoot themselves in the foot if they did that.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
So the teleport thing is useful, huh? I'm guessing to get out of attack cones and whatnot?
You'll hear "uptime" mentioned a lot. If you're a good NIN you get to the point where you learn the timing and can teleport for mechanics and go back in to maximize the time spent in melee range. For example there's spots in the latest trial's extreme version where moving from place to place is heavily influential in how good the trial goes and who soaks up what damage. With the teleport not only does it allow you to move out of mechanics but also maximize your time spent dps'ing.

On top of that there are some mechanics you can teleport "through" in order to get back in melee range while others might have to wait. The teleport is one of NINs best parts of its kit if you ask me. It's integral to keeping your dps up.

OTher classes have "dashes" in which they hone in on the enemy but the NIN is even more free in the sense that you can teleport "away/to/etc" anything, but it requires ground targeting so it's really only manageable (imo) on PC with mouse reaction speeds. While others are bound to enemies or targets NIN is free to move around the cabin, so to speak.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You'll hear "uptime" mentioned a lot. If you're a good NIN you get to the point where you learn the timing and can teleport for mechanics and go back in to maximize the time spent in melee range. For example there's spots in the latest trial's extreme version where moving from place to place is heavily influential in how good the trial goes and who soaks up what damage. With the teleport not only does it allow you to move out of mechanics but also maximize your time spent dps'ing.

On top of that there are some mechanics you can teleport "through" in order to get back in melee range while others might have to wait. The teleport is one of NINs best parts of its kit if you ask me. It's integral to keeping your dps up.

OTher classes have "dashes" in which they hone in on the enemy but the NIN is even more free in the sense that you can teleport "away/to/etc" anything, but it requires ground targeting so it's really only manageable (imo) on PC with mouse reaction speeds. While others are bound to enemies or targets NIN is free to move around the cabin, so to speak.

Guess I'll just get used to throwing it out casually just to create the muscle memory for it. Its a little weird on controller. But other peoole make it work, then so can I c:

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Guess I'll just get used to throwing it out casually just to create the muscle memory for it. Its a little weird on controller. But other peoole make it work, then so can I c:
Yeah don't know how it works on PC but I usually aim my mouse at the location before hitting hte skill so the cursors right where I want it to be before triggering the skill. I wish you luck! You don't "have" to learn it but it's a valuable part of NIN's kit.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
This Macro:
/ac "shukuchi" <t>

Should teleport you right into the middle of whatever you're targeting. idk if it still works, been a while since I tried.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any conclusion yet as of how much did they cut on the main story quest to make it more streamlined? How long is ARR now compared to before?

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Oh, so if I've a friend that already plays, I could get invited by them, they could invite the other trial person as well and we could play together? I thought Trial could also not get invited by others!
Trial players can be invited to parties, they just can't make them for whatever reason. If you decide to play the game and play on Aether, Primal, or the Crystal data centers, you can join one of the cross-server chat groups that we've made to help newbies and free trial players where we can form parties for you if you ask.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to remind new healers to NOT be afraid to do dps. Don't just spam cure. Your tank doesn't need to be topped off all the time.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Ive tried to get into the game multiple times, but there is something about starting an MMO at lvl 1 and doing the most basic boring shit that completely deflates me. Running around that castle doing fetch quests is so mind numbing that I cant justify spending 50-60 hours grinding to get to the fun stuff.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
What does that mean? I'm seen and know about macros, but no idea how to get it working?

you can create a hotbar button that executes that command which is to use the NIN teleport skill to distance of the middle of what you're targeting. Its useful to close down to an enemy to keep DPS up but definitely tricky to use as an escape method. You could use it on a party member that is in a safe spot but you'd be relying on them to an extent. I still found it pretty useful when I was using a controller.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It takes practice for sure, but I promise that you can get the teleport down pat on the controller. I used to rely on a macro, but manually targeting it is second nature to me now. The big thing for me to wrap my head around is that you don't actually need to "move" the targeting circle position in the middle of a fight (as in, holding the left shoulder button and using the analog stick to position it). The game will remember the position you leave the targeting circle in, and default to that when you try to use the teleport, so long as you don't manually adjust it again. So I leave it a medium distance away from my character. If I then need to teleport closer or further, all I then need to do is angle the camera up or down with the right stick, which will modify the distance of the default targeting circle position, allowing for a rapid change in the location of your teleport.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It takes practice for sure, but I promise that you can get the teleport down pat on the controller. I used to rely on a macro, but manually targeting it is second nature to me now. The big thing for me to wrap my head around is that you don't actually need to "move" the targeting circle position in the middle of a fight (as in, holding the left shoulder button and using the analog stick to position it). The game will remember the position you leave the targeting circle in, and default to that when you try to use the teleport, so long as you don't manually adjust it again. So I leave it a medium distance away from my character. If I then need to teleport closer or further, all I then need to do is angle the camera up or down with the right stick, which will modify the distance of the default targeting circle position, allowing for a rapid change in the location of your teleport.

Oh shit. That's amazing, I noticed it had been changing every time, so I guess that's the answer lol.

And side note, I hit level 50! I'm still level 30-somethin' in the story, which I have been actually really enjoying. I just get sidetracked real easy in loot games, I want to look good for cutscenes, yanno?

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
Enjoying the game, though wow is the story sleep-inducing so far. I'm in level 28 quests (just got done with Gundobald). The empire folks seem cool/somewhat intriguing, but they've only made minor appearances here and there. But I hear things pick up around quest level 35?

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Level 33 Glad now with 15+ in all tradecrafts. Main story quest is only @ level 18 though lol. Gotta only focus on main story for a bit or I'm going to be 20 levels ahead.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Level 33 Glad now with 15+ in all tradecrafts. Main story quest is only @ level 18 though lol. Gotta only focus on main story for a bit or I'm going to be 20 levels ahead.

Could be a good idea to get another battle class up a bit and try something new until your story quests catch up with your gladiator's levels. Shouldn't be too hard to get one up to 18 with the armory bonus for having Gladiator leveled.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoying the game, though wow is the story sleep-inducing so far. I'm in level 28 quests (just got done with Gundobald). The empire folks seem cool/somewhat intriguing, but they've only made minor appearances here and there. But I hear things pick up around quest level 35?

The story is pretty mediocre throughout all of ARR. Heavensward is a vast improvement and I think shadowbringers is 2nd only to tactics when it comes to FF stories

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017

The MSQ picks up around then yeah.

Just keep in mind it's "picking up" from the slow meandering set up plot of Levels 1-34....so it's still not "the best" but it is "necessary" to make future plot points good. Even the boring story parts you're in now become important later on for setting up how everyone views you.

The story starts getting genuinely GOOD in the Level 50 MSQ that occurs once you beat the base game imo.

Once you start hearing & meeting a character called Ysayle, you're in the "good story territory". It just progressively keeps getting better and better from there. All of Heavensward is fantastic.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any conclusion yet as of how much did they cut on the main story quest to make it more streamlined? How long is ARR now compared to before?
Not sure how accurate this is:

u9q2x5mhzeg51.jpg

There's also a comparison of each section with links in the thread.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like there's literally no point in doing any of the side quests, hunting guides, levequests, and guildhests at low level. Are they just for if you decide to level another DoW/M class?

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like there's literally no point in doing any of the side quests, hunting guides, levequests, and guildhests at low level. Are they just for if you decide to level another DoW/M class?
Not even; doing daily dungeons is way better for leveling than sidequesting. They're really just for flavor and the occasional decent reward. Leves are great for crafting/gathering, though.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Ive tried to get into the game multiple times, but there is something about starting an MMO at lvl 1 and doing the most basic boring shit that completely deflates me. Running around that castle doing fetch quests is so mind numbing that I cant justify spending 50-60 hours grinding to get to the fun stuff.
Obviously if you're not having fun then it's fine to move on and accept that the game might not be for you. But I do want to say that as far as the main story quest is concerned, which will take you from lvl 1 all the way to lvl 80, there's basically no grinding. You go from quest to quest to dungeon to quest to trial to quest, etc. The exp you get from the MSQ is such that there should never be a reason you can't just accept the next quest in the story.

FFXIV does really take its sweet time introducing you to the game and letting you free out into the world though, so I can understand why at the very beginning where you're just running around one of the main city-states is mind-numbing, but that isn't indictive of what you're doing for the rest of the game.

Again, I'm not advocating you chain yourself to this game and force yourself to play it until you "get to the good part", but your concerns about having to grind for dozens of hours at least shouldn't worry you.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously if you're not having fun then it's fine to move on and accept that the game might not be for you. But I do want to say that as far as the main story quest is concerned, which will take you from lvl 1 all the way to lvl 80, there's basically no grinding. You go from quest to quest to dungeon to quest to trial to quest, etc. The exp you get from the MSQ is such that there should never be a reason you can't just accept the next quest in the story.

FFXIV does really take its sweet time introducing you to the game and letting you free out into the world though, so I can understand why at the very beginning where you're just running around one of the main city-states is mind-numbing, but that isn't indictive of what you're doing for the rest of the game.

Again, I'm not advocating you chain yourself to this game and force yourself to play it until you "get to the good part", but your concerns about having to grind for dozens of hours at least shouldn't worry you.

Def. Dont get me wrong, I WANT to play it. I just think I have to be in a very particular mindset for that level of commitment, and I am just not there yet. But as soon as I get that MMO itch and am willing to grind it out, I will be happy to hop back in and give this new stuff a go.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Nah if they're not having fun then they're not gonna find grinding that long fun.

And the quest system doesn't change the whole game so if they don't like it now then nothing will change 50 hours in.

I think it's not completely correct to say that just because the production value skyrockets leading into Heavensward, that there isn't good stuff on the way there. You fight at least half a dozen classic FF summons via interesting boss fights and the dungeons get progressively more interesting. It isn't all fighting ladybugs and squirrels until level 50.

If they've fought Ifrit and the other primals and aren't in any way interested, especially after Garuda, then sure, that's an indication that they might not like it later. At that point I'd show them out-of-context scenes against Ravana, Alexander, Susano'o, etc, to show them that this is what it gradually escalates into and beyond, and if they're still uninterested then yeah, go play something else, don't force yourself to play something that isn't for you!

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
I think it's not completely correct to say that just because the production value skyrockets leading into Heavensward, that there isn't good stuff on the way there. You fight at least half a dozen classic FF summons via interesting boss fights and the dungeons get progressively more interesting.

If they've fought Ifrit and the other primals and aren't in any way interested, especially after Garuda, then sure, that's an indication that they might not like it later. At that point I'd show them out-of-context scenes against Ravana, Alexander, Susano'o, etc, to show them that this is what it gradually escalates into and beyond, and if they're still uninterested then yeah, go play something else, don't force yourself to play something that isn't for you!
The quality of the primals/trials definitely went up starting with HW.

Ravana and Susano were fun fights, especially Susano when he grabs the sword.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
More of these Pick 6 vegetables up off the floor and find the NPCs around town type quests... no. Fuck this... How do people tolerate this kind of MMO gameplay as anything other than a gratuitous waste of time?

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
People here really burning themselves out just to reach the latest treadmill content huh.

Tidalwaves

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
More of these Pick 6 vegetables up off the floor and find the NPCs around town type quests... no. Fuck this... How do people tolerate this kind of MMO gameplay as anything other than a gratuitous waste of time?
Because every game has to start somewhere and the game does get bombastic and cinematic eventually. Just not before it does extensive world building in the form of fetch quests.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Because every game has to start somewhere and the game does get bombastic and cinematic eventually. Just not before it does extensive world building in the form of fetch quests.

This is not world building. Its more like the opposite where its reminding me of all the gameplay(?) elements I hate about MMO's.
I knew this would happen too, but people keep telling me to get to the better parts.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
how long does it take to mainline ARR and Heavensward

I've only got 20 days of playtime left on my account and I don't plan on paying for more

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
how long does it take to mainline ARR and Heavensward

I've only got 20 days of playtime left on my account and I don't plan on paying for more
Pre-crunch it took me like 90 hours of ARR + post ARR and like 50-60 for Heavensward + post-Heavensward (which caps off the story and leads into Stormblood), maybe?

This is a rough estimate. I have a Steam playtime counter but I wasn't focused purely on the campaign.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This is not world building. Its more like the opposite where its reminding me of all the gameplay(?) elements I hate about MMO's.
I knew this would happen too, but people keep telling me to get to the better parts.

You're not wrong, but FFXIV is the only game I am willing to make an exception for the "gets better in XX hours" argument, lol. Once you start doing later dungeons and trials and reach your first 8-man, it starts to get more exciting, gameplay-wise.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I've stuck with it and I actually kinda like the fetch quests now. They're usually just leading me around the world now and showing me different areas as their true purpose. At the beginning though I did hate the quests in that first city, and speaking of which, I hate navigating that city lol.

Edit: I'm in the gold saucer now, and is this for real? The only things I can redeem are for lvl 50 and up?

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I've put like 40 hours into this game already.

I've stuck with it and I actually kinda like the fetch quests now. They're usually just leading me around the world now and showing me different areas as their true purpose. At the beginning though I did hate the quests in that first city, and speaking of which, I hate navigating that city lol.

Which city?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Limsa Lominsa is the more confusing starting city for me but you get used to the odd way the starting cities are laid out (probably because of PS3 limitations). The Aethernet makes it much easier to navigate if you have trouble just walking around.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
If you're on an RP server just don't go into the Ul'dah alleys if you want to keep your innocence.