• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you going to try the Free Trial?

• Yes

Votes: 261 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 221 34.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 180 27.9%

• Total voters

Nymir

Oct 27, 2017
So I just started playing again this weekend. Stopped playing around 5.15, after the first Nier raid and having Eden's Gate Savage on farm status for a while.

MSQ is now done, so is Eden's verse normal mode. Now on to farming those ilvl 480 gear pieces.

So, if I get this right, here's what I should do for now when it comes to gear / progression:

-farm eden's verse normal for ilvl 480 gear
-beat memoria misera extreme
-beat ruby weapon for ilvl 485 weapon
-duty roulette for tombstones / AR for ilvl 490 gear
-5.3 extreme trial for ilvl 495 weapon
-Savage Eden's Verse for ilvl 500 gear

Am I missing anything?

There's plenty of choices for weapons: relic is super easy to obtain and in a month it will probably be upgradable to 500 with the eureka-like content, I think it's the easiest way to go. I would go with a mix of neo-ishgardian and edencall for the rest of the equipment, neo-ishgardian are not particularly pricey on my server at least. Memoria Misera can be a bit of a pain to farm (not many people doing it) and the pieces can be used only on one job (for example, just BRD, not BRD/MCH/DNC).

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
The trimming down of quests only relates to A Realm Reborn and its patch content, as that's where the bulk of the MSQ fluff is. I'd encourage you to give the game another shot though, Heavensward's patch content is phenomenal. Not sure how deep in you got, but it's very good with little filler.
Heavensward proper doesn't even end until 3.3 (and it's a fantastic ending), 3.4 is very important, and 3.5 sets up Stormblood... Yeah, there's nothing to really trim there.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I went in totally blind, just had my friends tell me which server to play on. The game feels really slow with the long GCD compared to other MMOs. Not sure if this will get better later or not.

It picks up as you get more skills and more OGCD skills. I play NIN and I have basically no downtime during fights. When you get more skills and have to actually start focusing on mechanics, you won't notice the cooldown time anymore.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
How long this free trial lasts?
I created an account and downloaded the game, but I'm busy with work and never had the chance to play or create a character.
It's indefinite, there's no time limit. The only limit is the level and expansions.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Level 47 NIN. Having to learn the Ninjutsu combos with a third step is kinda hard, but I learned the others no problem, just practice, it's really fun to get the flow going!

Would someone say AST is more demanding in terms of buttons and keeping busy? Or is it similar.

Thinking of picking up a healer, then a tank

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Level 47 NIN. Having to learn the Ninjutsu combos with a third step is kinda hard, but I learned the others no problem, just practice, it's really fun to get the flow going!

I always think of them as numbers.

Ten =1. Chi = 2. Jin = 3.

1, 2, 3 = Trick Attack.
3, 2, 1 = GCD speed up
1, 3, 2 = AOE DOT
1, 2 = single target attack.
2, 1 = AOE attack
Kassatsu + 2, 1 = high damage AOE attack (level 76+)
Kassatsu = 2, 3 = high damage single attack (level 76+)

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing the trial and am enjoying it so far (retired WoW player). The heavier focus on story is nice for a more casual player. Loving the music so far. Pretty sure I heard some stuff from Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger mixed in there. I'm level 32 on my Arcanist.

I'm at the point in the story where you choose a Grand Company. Does the grand company you choose make a difference? Do they have they have different quest lines?

I'm thinking of picking up the Complete Edition while its on sale. Does this automatically get applied to your account or can you hold off (buying from the online store). Ideally, I'd like to wait till at level 60/done with Heavensward before applying it.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I started playing the trial and am enjoying it so far (retired WoW player). The heavier focus on story is nice for a more casual player. Loving the music so far. Pretty sure I heard some stuff from Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger mixed in there. I'm level 32 on my Arcanist.

I'm at the point in the story where you choose a Grand Company. Does the grand company you choose make a difference? Do they have they have different quest lines?

I'm thinking of picking up the Complete Edition while its on sale. Does this automatically get applied to your account or can you hold off (buying from the online store). Ideally, I'd like to wait till at level 60/done with Heavensward before applying it.
There's no difference between Grand Companies no, other than some low level gear and color scheme. They don't really have any stories attached to them, although some of the NPCs within them are tied into the early main story. As for the Complete Edition, that's correct. You can hold off registering the registration code until you've completed all the Heavensward content, which will save you the subscription costs you would have spent up to that point.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always think of them as numbers.

Ten =1. Chi = 2. Jin = 3.

1, 2, 3 = Trick Attack.
3, 2, 1 = GCD speed up
1, 3, 2 = AOE DOT
1, 2 = single target attack.
2, 1 = AOE attack
Kassatsu + 2, 1 = high damage AOE attack (level 76+)
Kassatsu = 2, 3 = high damage single attack (level 76+)

I have it on my R2 D-Pad. Because it makes sense to me as a fighting game combo..? Cause I used a d-pad to play fighting games.

I had it

Ten
Jin - Chi
Ninjutsu

Now i'm trying Ten top, Chi right, Jin bottom and activate on left. To keep your number suggestion in my head

I might just run some more palace of the dead to drill it in lol

*edit*

swapped it back. Makes more sense for me in my head for it to be

3-- 2
Ninjutsu

:p

Last edited:

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington

Would someone say AST is more demanding in terms of buttons and keeping busy? Or is it similar.

My AST is only lvl 63 so I can't speak to how they play at the highest levels, but I also happen to play NIN, and AST is nowhere near as demanding as far as inputs and mechanics go. As a healer the demand and complexity comes from your awareness: awareness of your party, awareness of boss mechanics, and especially awareness of your MP, as Astrologians can be very mana thirsty (although this has been mitigated with the latest patch). Managing your resources and your cooldowns, as well as knowing when you can get away with putting out some damage, is where the complexity and difficulty comes in.

I'm still relatively new to healing though, so if a more experienced healer wants to chime in and correct anything I missed or got wrong, I'd appreciate it!

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My AST is only lvl 63 so I can't speak to how they play at the highest levels, but I also happen to play NIN, and AST is nowhere near as demanding as far as inputs and mechanics go. As a healer the demand and complexity comes from your awareness: awareness of your party, awareness of boss mechanics, and especially awareness of your MP, as Astrologians can be very mana thirsty (although this has been mitigated with the latest patch). Managing your resources and your cooldowns, as well as knowing when you can get away with putting out some damage, is where the complexity and difficulty comes in.

I'm still relatively new to healing though, so if a more experienced healer wants to chime in and correct anything I missed or got wrong, I'd appreciate it!

NIN is inredibly fun, but on longer sessions, i can get a bit tired of it lol. Thanks for your input, appreciate ya

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
NIN is inredibly fun, but on longer sessions, i can get a bit tired of it lol. Thanks for your input, appreciate ya
I hear you! It's a very active job and can definitely get a bit exhausting haha. As someone who only played tanks and DPS in MMOs before, I can't tell you how enjoyable it was to start leveling an Astrologian. Healing in this game is incredibly fun, at least to a newbie like me, so I definitely recommend it! It can be pretty demanding too though haha, you can't exactly turn off your brain like you can as DPS sometimes.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hear you! It's a very active job and can definitely get a bit exhausting haha. As someone who only played tanks and DPS in MMOs before, I can't tell you how enjoyable it was to start leveling an Astrologian. Healing in this game is incredibly fun, at least to a newbie like me, so I definitely recommend it! It can be pretty demanding too though haha, you can't exactly turn off your brain like you can as DPS sometimes.

Yeah, but it'll be the part of my brain that I'm NOT using lol. I'm more worried that when I take a break, I'll just forget all of it

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
IMO AST is the most 'busy' of the healers with its cards and seal juggling mechanics, and the time-sensitive heals. Cards are damage buffs and have certain priorities and certain seals attached, and you want 3 unique seals for a big party buff. So every 30sec it's "Draw a card, is this the seal I need? If yes, give to highest damage appropriate DPS for the card type. If no, Shuffle the card to get a new one (if you still need seals) . If all fails, or you already have 3 unique seals, recycle the card into a seal-less higher damage buff, give to appropriate highest DPS.

But, it also might be simpler for a newbie to pick up, AST used to be very different, with cards having a myriad of effects that weren't just a straight DPS increase and each with their own niche use, so it's been an adjustment to go to 'every card is useful all the time, all give DPS just stronger buffs to different DPS"

Jan 9, 2018
There's no difference between Grand Companies no, other than some low level gear and color scheme. They don't really have any stories attached to them, although some of the NPCs within them are tied into the early main story. As for the Complete Edition, that's correct. You can hold off registering the registration code until you've completed all the Heavensward content, which will save you the subscription costs you would have spent up to that point.
Oh! that's interesting, would you say is a good idea to get the complete edition now that is 50% cheaper and then redeem the online code once I reach level 60 on the free trial? I'm tempted but I plan to play a couple of times per week so I didn't want to buy the whole game and then play during my first subscription month only the part that would have been free.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Oh! that's interesting, would you say is a good idea to get the complete edition now that is 50% cheaper and then redeem the online code once I reach level 60 on the free trial? I'm tempted but I plan to play a couple of times per week so I didn't want to buy the whole game and then play during my first subscription month only the part that would have been free.
Absolutely! Grab it now while it's on sale and redeem it once you've reached Stormblood.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also, obtaining the relic weapon might prove difficult. I've yet to complete Orbonne Monastery; never was able to get a group for it and I've heard horror story about DFing this specific raid.

I really recommend just giving it a try. I've DF'd it many times and it's never failed. Some of the fights are a pain in the ass, yes, but ultimately, it is designed to be cleared by randoms so I'm confident you'll be able to clear it. Plus, it's just a plain beautiful dungeon! The new relics are honestly extremely good for the level of investment you need to make as well, so I think they'll be a crucial step in gearing for you.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018
Ah, a silly question, were you can find all the important quest that are available to you? I am in the MSQ lvl 16 or so and yesterday in a video I saw there is a +quest to go to the gold saucer once you reach level 15 but I didn't saw it at all, I also found how to dye and glamour stuff just by chance while roaming the world, but I didn't saw those quest in the map or anything until I reach the area where they are. like the next MSQ appears all the time in the corner of the screen so I can go to pick it up any time, but the quest that give me new mechanics i feel like I find them by chance.

so yeah, Is there any menu or similar where you can see all the quest that you can accept at your level?

galactic_punt

Oct 27, 2017
So I just started playing again this weekend. Stopped playing around 5.15, after the first Nier raid and having Eden's Gate Savage on farm status for a while.

MSQ is now done, so is Eden's verse normal mode. Now on to farming those ilvl 480 gear pieces.

So, if I get this right, here's what I should do for now when it comes to gear / progression:

-farm eden's verse normal for ilvl 480 gear
-beat memoria misera extreme
-beat ruby weapon for ilvl 485 weapon
-duty roulette for tombstones / AR for ilvl 490 gear
-5.3 extreme trial for ilvl 495 weapon
-Savage Eden's Verse for ilvl 500 gear

Am I missing anything?
If you can afford it you can bypass a big chunk of the farming by just buying HQ 480 crafted gear and either rolling with that or exchanging them for 490's while you gather Allegory Tomes for that stuff. No sense in farming Normals, Memoria, or Ruby weapon (can just do the Relic weapon)

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
is neoishgard really worth the money investment?

Thanks for the tips.

Also, obtaining the relic weapon might prove difficult. I've yet to complete Orbonne Monastery; never was able to get a group for it and I've heard horror story about DFing this specific raid.

I would also second the above poster's encouragement! It's not so bad anymore as they've nerfed the harder fights, and given the Echo (A boost to HP, healing and damage done) to get people through. Not clearing also locks out the entirety of the Bozjan Front, which is a new zone/duty related to the relic with its own armour, mechanics and such.

Ah, a silly question, were you can find all the important quest that are available to you? I am in the MSQ lvl 16 or so and yesterday in a video I saw there is a +quest to go to the gold saucer once you reach level 15 but I didn't saw it at all, I also found how to dye and glamour stuff just by chance while roaming the world, but I didn't saw those quest in the map or anything until I reach the area where they are. like the next MSQ appears all the time in the corner of the screen so I can go to pick it up any time, but the quest that give me new mechanics i feel like I find them by chance.

so yeah, Is there any menu or similar where you can see all the quest that you can accept at your level?

seeXjm3.png

There's a tab called Recommendations that you can pop using the Duty menu, which you can then use to filter quests available to you in the zone you're currently in. Sidequests that unlock new things have a blue background and show up here

CBaD6zB.png

Click on that, and it'll show you on the map where to pick it up

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington

This sounds like exactly what you're looking for!

Last edited:

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
So I went in blind since I had some vacation coming up and made it to level 40 so far.

I have to say when the game does its thing I'm having a great time with it but the story quests I just finished doing in ARR have been so bad it made me almost quit. If I didn't think better stuff was around the corner I would have dropped out. One questline literally had me running back and forth between two camps and I went up 2 levels without a single battle.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I went in blind since I had some vacation coming up and made it to level 40 so far.

I have to say when the game does its thing I'm having a great time with it but the story quests I just finished doing in ARR have been so bad it made me almost quit. If I didn't think better stuff was around the corner I would have dropped out. One questline literally had me running back and forth between two camps and I went up 2 levels without a single battle.

I'm at the exact same spot and ended up taking a break from the game as a result.

For a free game I'm probably more lenient on it than I otherwise would have been but I can't deny that gameplay/combat-wise this is easily the most brain dead game I've ever played in the genre.

The quest design is just...yeah.

Sliver

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah kinda burning out on the MSQ as well, a little after getting
a chocobo mount.
Would like to get through to the stuff that people rave about but its kind of a slog, and it's kind of shocking to hear its a truncated version of what it used to be.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
How much should I bother with Guildhests? I did the initial quest to unlock them (Level 15), but then that opens up what looks to be a rabbit hole of guildhest quests. Is this something I should invest time in or should I continue through main story/other things?

Jan 9, 2018
I would also second the above poster's encouragement! It's not so bad anymore as they've nerfed the harder fights, and given the Echo (A boost to HP, healing and damage done) to get people through. Not clearing also locks out the entirety of the Bozjan Front, which is a new zone/duty related to the relic with its own armour, mechanics and such.

seeXjm3.png

There's a tab called Recommendations that you can pop using the Duty menu, which you can then use to filter quests available to you in the zone you're currently in. Sidequests that unlock new things have a blue background and show up here

CBaD6zB.png

Click on that, and it'll show you on the map where to pick it up
Thanks! I'll check it out

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
How much should I bother with Guildhests? I did the initial quest to unlock them (Level 15), but then that opens up what looks to be a rabbit hole of guildhest quests. Is this something I should invest time in or should I continue through main story/other things?
Don't bother.. same with Levequests, IMO.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I believe (could be wrong) you get som extra exp the first time you do each of them on a class, plus some from the weekly challenge log. But, they're essentially just tutorials for battle mechanics, I wouldn't make them a priority. There's no big reward waiting at the end.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Don't bother.. same with Levequests, IMO.
I believe (could be wrong) you get som extra exp the first time you do each of them on a class, plus some from the weekly challenge log. But, they're essentially just tutorials for battle mechanics, I wouldn't make them a priority. There's no big reward waiting at the end.

Ok good, I won't put too much emphasis on them.

Levequests are very useful for leveling up gathering classes, if you end up trying that. Same with crafters - though atm Ishgardian Restoration and Custom Deliveries are far better.

I'll keep that in mind but it sounds like something beyond my level and worries at the current time, I'm brand new Level 15.

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
Ok good, I won't put too much emphasis on them.

I'll keep that in mind but it sounds like something beyond my level and worries at the current time, I'm brand new Level 15.
You're about to start running dungeons. You'll get the overwhelming majority of your XP from them.

At 16 you'll unlock the Duty Finder roulette for leveling, which is even more XP for running a dungeon.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah kinda burning out on the MSQ as well, a little after getting
a chocobo mount.
Would like to get through to the stuff that people rave about but its kind of a slog, and it's kind of shocking to hear its a truncated version of what it used to be.
Don't push yourself. You're playing through 7 years of story. Take your time. You're quite early, I mean chocobo mount is what, lv 20? 30? It ramps up near the end of A Real Reborn and doesn't really stop once it hits that first expansion. Try and join a Linkshell (cross datacenter) chat room if you can. I'm on Crystal if you're the same.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

At end game where I'm at you feel like a god when you're stringing jutsus, teleporting across the stage, flinging magic, and providing utility for the dps in the party. It's glorious.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, crap, this topic made me curious and I checked something and I hope I didn't screw myself:

So I'm on the free trial right now with no codes attached to my account. However I "bought" the free Heavensward they offered last year and bought Shadowbringers Standard Edition when it was on sale near the end of 2019. I have both of these codes sitting in my SE account waiting to be activated.

Did that Heavensward include a key for ARR as well that would work now that I could use and then also use my Shadowbringers (+Stormblood) on? Or do I need to pick something else up to make this all go once I get through HW? I can't even click through to the Heavensward key on the store because that product doesn't exist there anymore apparently...it just takes me to the store's main page.

I would appreciate any help people can provide in this weird mess.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, ARR is a slow burn of worldbuilding exercise until post-level 35ish MSQ, where things start ramping up and keep going from there.

Oh, crap, this topic made me curious and I checked something and I hope I didn't screw myself:

So I'm on the free trial right now with no codes attached to my account. However I "bought" the free Heavensward they offered last year and bought Shadowbringers Standard Edition when it was on sale near the end of 2019. I have both of these codes sitting in my SE account waiting to be activated.

Did that Heavensward include a key for ARR as well that would work now that I could use and then also use my Shadowbringers (+Stormblood) on? Or do I need to pick something else up to make this all go once I get through HW? I can't even click through to the Heavensward key on the store because that product doesn't exist there anymore apparently...it just takes me to the store's main page.

I would appreciate any help people can provide in this weird mess.

So you'll need to purchase (when you get to Stormblood content and assuming you want to continue) the Starter Edition, the old Heavensward code is pretty much defunct now, and the copy of Shadowbringers alone won't give you access to the base game required to run Shadowbringers

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
So you'll need to purchase (when you get to Stormblood content and assuming you want to continue) the Starter Edition, the old Heavensward code is pretty much defunct now, and the copy of Shadowbringers alone won't give you access to the base game required to run Shadowbringers
Yeah that's what my worry was. I guess I got a little boned because instead of picking up the complete edition for $30 I spent about $20 on ShB and now have to spend $20 on the Starter Edition but eh, c'est la vie. I don't feel bad because I'm in 2.3 right now and I already have over two days of play time total. I guess they're entitled to my $40. Thanks!

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Ok, so I'm on the free trial and level 15/16 like I said before, but the free trial lasts to level 60/the dlc which is quite generous.

All this is good, HOWEVER the complete version is on sale right now. So if I end up getting into this, I'll probably wish I bought the complete version while it was on sale.

So here's my question: If I buy the complete version now (I'm on PlayStation so PSN), would I lose access to the free trial's free online play through level 60 and thus be forced to pay for a Square subscription to continue to play?

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so I'm on the free trial and level 15/16 like I said before, but the free trial lasts to level 60/the dlc which is quite generous.

All this is good, HOWEVER the complete version is on sale right now. So if I end up getting into this, I'll probably wish I bought the complete version while it was on sale.

So here's my question: If I buy the complete version now (I'm on PlayStation so PSN), would I lose access to the free trial's free online play through level 60 and thus be forced to pay for a Square subscription to continue to play?

With PSN, yeah, I think it automatically gets applied to your account? I'm not 100% though

Oct 25, 2017

My free trial vanished on PSN once I got the free Starter Edition they gave out earlier this year, so I imagine if you get the Complete Edition, it'll do the same thing. The minute I logged in to the game for the first time after my "purchase," the game automatically moved me to a normal account.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
With PSN, yeah, I think it automatically gets applied to your account? I'm not 100% though
My free trial vanished on PSN once I got the free Starter Edition they gave out earlier this year, so I imagine if you get the Complete Edition, it'll do the same thing. The minute I logged in to the game for the first time after my "purchase," the game automatically moved me to a normal account.

Which means you then have to pay a sub to play right? Yeah I think I'll pass on the Complete Edition right now even though it's on sale cause this is my first MMO and while I'm enjoying the little I've played so far I'm not definitely not ready to commit to paying a sub to play.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
So the teleport thing is useful, huh? I'm guessing to get out of attack cones and whatnot?
Shukuchi (teleport) is very useful for exactly that reason. It lets you play a little more dangerously since you can yeet yourself out of an attack that otherwise would've hit because you didn't run away soon enough. It's also just nice for getting around where you can't summon a mount like towns or the Gold Saucer.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Which means you then have to pay a sub to play right? Yeah I think I'll pass on the Complete Edition right now even though it's on sale cause this is my first MMO and while I'm enjoying the little I've played so far I'm not definitely not ready to commit to paying a sub to play.
You will get 30 day game times when registering for base game on a new platform, so you don't have to pay for sub right away.

By the time you reach the end of free trial, you might want to take a break anyway so you can wait for discount then. And if the game hook you so much by that time that you want to continue right away, you wouldn't feel that bad paying full price for the contents you get. Depending on how long it takes you to finish Heavensward, discounted game+sub may be even more expensive.

Pastel Melon

Jan 2, 2020
Germany
Dumb question: Is there any way to play with others by using the trial version? As far as I can see I can't have friends or get invited into groups? Is there still a way to play with people I know and not just randos?

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question: Is there any way to play with others by using the trial version? As far as I can see I can't have friends or get invited into groups? Is there still a way to play with people I know and not just randos?
Not a dumb question! Don't think there's any other way other than asking someone to create the party for you and invite (the party will not be disbanded once they leave). Try politely asking in /say once in a while at a town crystal or a grand company HQ.

Pastel Melon

Jan 2, 2020
Germany
Not a dumb question! Don't think there's any other way other than asking someone to create the party for you and invite (the party will not be disbanded once they leave). Try politely asking in /say once in a while at a town crystal or a grand company HQ.
Oh, so if I've a friend that already plays, I could get invited by them, they could invite the other trial person as well and we could play together? I thought Trial could also not get invited by others!