• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you going to try the Free Trial?

• Yes

Votes: 261 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 221 34.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 180 27.9%

• Total voters

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
And then there's the Coliseum Subligar which is literally a pair of panties.
I mean if something is "horny" armor it usually is for both genders

2fNukNG.png

The game is pretty equal opportunity on that end.

Jan 9, 2018
Because the game is from 2013..? If it ain't your thing, it's alright. The first 20 levels are as any other MMO: "hey adventurer can u do this kind of dumb thing for me because you are a nobody? thanks."
I mean Is not terrible, and I will keep playing because the music, design and world is quite interesting, but I am surprise this kind of quest are still the norm on a 7 years old game, those were standard in WoW and thats 10 years older, and sure it was in everquest even before that.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I mean Is not terrible, and I will keep playing because the music, design and world is quite interesting, but I am surprise this kind of quest are still the norm on a 7 years old game, those were standard in WoW and thats 10 years older, and sure it was in everquest even before that.
FFXIV can be considered the last of the tab target MMOs of yester-year.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018

Sadly (sometimes I like them and sometimes i don't) you see them in MMOs released recently as well. They make up for a more "beginner-friendly" type of missions but it can get tedious. Even more so in FFXIV where you can get a Road to 70-80 buff and you might be level 25 in a mission level 16.

Jan 9, 2018
Just saw this in Kotaku, seems like the new patch changes the beginning of the game. I'll check it out today:

"But patch 5.3 brings way more to the table than just a pay-off for veteran players. Square Enix has completely revamped the base game, A Realm Reborn, to streamline the first 50 levels of gameplay and get people to the better expansions quicker. Parts of the story that dragged on and required teleporting around Eorzea to get cheese or whatever it was are now eliminated, and new players no longer need to grind or complete mundane sidequests to get through to more interesting content."

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw this in Kotaku, seems like the new patch changes the beginning of the game. I'll check it out today:

"But patch 5.3 brings way more to the table than just a pay-off for veteran players. Square Enix has completely revamped the base game, A Realm Reborn, to streamline the first 50 levels of gameplay and get people to the better expansions quicker. Parts of the story that dragged on and required teleporting around Eorzea to get cheese or whatever it was are now eliminated, and new players no longer need to grind or complete mundane sidequests to get through to more interesting content."
I don't think they altered the 1-50 ARR quests, just made them a bit more convenient. e.g. you can use a flying mount in ARR zones now, and I think teleport directly to a once-out-of-the-way location that you need to get too all the time in ARR. It's the post-ARR, pre-Heavensward quests that got crunched.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I don't think they altered the 1-50 ARR quests, just made them a bit more convenient. e.g. you can use a flying mount in ARR zones now, and I think teleport directly to a once-out-of-the-way location that you need to get too all the time in ARR. It's the post-ARR, pre-Heavensward quests that got crunched.

They altered the basegame quests.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018

I do think it is more focused with the missions at the end of ARR and patches 2.1 - 2.55, but I'm not sure. It could have get rid of stuff on the first levels of the game.

u9q2x5mhzeg51.jpg

Jan 9, 2018
Makes sense, I just realize this came 6 days ago so I am already on that patch. Well. it looks like they keep improving the game so is something to look forward

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
While FFXIV does a good job allowing people to primarily solo the experience up to a certain point, I wish they would release single player versions of these games (also FFXI). I'm not an MMO guy. I played FFXI for about 400 hours and FFXIV for about 100 hours, but I can't play MMOs. They are too addicting and I just don't feel great playing this type of game. Would love for a nerfed single player experience to enjoy the story/music/world.

Please take the time to enjoy the music. It's superb.

Agreed! FFXI has really good music as well.

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Subscription based MMO in this day of age? Maybe I will give it a try out of curiosity.

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hmm, quest trimming news is tempting, I'm always get stuck on filler quests between expansion storylines, they just never ends. In two tries I manage to get through 2.x, enjoyed Heavensward MSQ, but then stuck again somewhere on 3.x. Will those get trimmed too?

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Are you still unable to form a party in the free trial? Sorry if this has been discussed already but I don't have time to read the whole thread rn. It's literally the only thing holding me back from giving it another go from when I left from my free month.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Are you still unable to form a party in the free trial? Sorry if this has been discussed already but I don't have time to read the whole thread rn. It's literally the only thing holding me back from giving it another go from when I left from my free month.

Yes, to avoid bots using the free trial.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Hmm, quest trimming news is tempting, I'm always get stuck on filler quests between expansion storylines, they just never ends. In two tries I manage to get through 2.x, enjoyed Heavensward MSQ, but then stuck again somewhere on 3.x. Will those get trimmed too?
The trimming down of quests only relates to A Realm Reborn and its patch content, as that's where the bulk of the MSQ fluff is. I'd encourage you to give the game another shot though, Heavensward's patch content is phenomenal. Not sure how deep in you got, but it's very good with little filler.

Correct, trial players can't form parties, but you can join someone's party. Of course, if you're hoping to play with another friend in the trial, you're unfortunately out of luck.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Because the game is from 2013..? If it ain't your thing, it's alright. The first 20 levels are as any other MMO: "hey adventurer can u do this kind of dumb thing for me because you are a nobody? thanks."

And at level 70+, a few expansion later and having saved the world, like, fifty times, being Warrior of Light and Primal Slayer yadda yadda you will still have to do shitty 'quests' like this.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
And at level 70+, a few expansion later and having saved the world, like, fifty times, being Warrior of Light and Primal Slayer yadda yadda you will still have to do shitty 'quests' like this.

I don't remember any fetch quests in the 70+ MSQ. Unless you mean maybe some on the firstpart of EUlmore? Which is like.. the whole point. But it's a spoiler filled discussion, and in any case I still don't remember any fetch quests in that part of the MSQ.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The only fetch quest I remember in the 70+ content was the sidequest that's actually making fun of fetch quests where the dude has you deliver an actual bag of poop. And that's at the very beginning.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Finally gave this a shot due to the free trial and enjoying it so far (though I just came off Tsushima so there's some adjustments in terms of visual expectations). I can't imagine myself subbing for a MMO again, especially at that price, but being able to just casually play this without that nagging feeling of "I paid for this so I should play as much as I can" during FF11 days is nice.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
So I just started playing again this weekend. Stopped playing around 5.15, after the first Nier raid and having Eden's Gate Savage on farm status for a while.

MSQ is now done, so is Eden's verse normal mode. Now on to farming those ilvl 480 gear pieces.

So, if I get this right, here's what I should do for now when it comes to gear / progression:

-farm eden's verse normal for ilvl 480 gear
-beat memoria misera extreme
-beat ruby weapon for ilvl 485 weapon
-duty roulette for tombstones / AR for ilvl 490 gear
-5.3 extreme trial for ilvl 495 weapon
-Savage Eden's Verse for ilvl 500 gear

Am I missing anything?

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
So I just started playing again this weekend. Stopped playing around 5.15, after the first Nier raid and having Eden's Gate Savage on farm status for a while.

MSQ is now done, so is Eden's verse normal mode. Now on to farming those ilvl 480 gear pieces.

So, if I get this right, here's what I should do for now when it comes to gear / progression:

-farm eden's verse normal for ilvl 480 gear
-beat memoria misera extreme
-beat ruby weapon for ilvl 485 weapon
-duty roulette for tombstones / AR for ilvl 490 gear
-5.3 extreme trial for ilvl 495 weapon
-Savage Eden's Verse for ilvl 500 gear

Am I missing anything?
do the relic weapon quest line. req to do the ivalice 24man. you get the first 485 weapon free then 1000poetic afterward. thats better than ruby.

use relic to beat new ex trial for 495.

save up allegory for 490 weapon for when they release the upgrade item later on for the copied/puppet coin to 500
unless you want to try savage then you can probably skip the allegory weapon overall, since 495 should be good enough to clear e8s (?)

gear up armor piece with either allegory or the aug neo ishgard gears. upgrade allegory gear to 500 with copied/ puppet coin
same here if you do savage, get aug neo ishgard as temp slot for bis savage gear

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Anything is possible in the future, but I honestly doubt it. In my experience, common opinion is that the HW patch quests are even better than its main story, so I don't know how much desire there really is for that?

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
do the relic weapon quest line. req to do the ivalice 24man. you get the first 485 weapon free then 1000poetic afterward. thats better than ruby.

use relic to beat new ex trial for 495.

save up allegory for 490 weapon for when they release the upgrade item later on for the copied/puppet coin to 500
unless you want to try savage then you can probably skip the allegory weapon overall, since 495 should be good enough to clear e8s (?)

gear up armor piece with either allegory or the aug neo ishgard gears. upgrade allegory gear to 500 with copied/ puppet coin
same here if you do savage, get aug neo ishgard as temp slot for bis savage gear

is neoishgard really worth the money investment?

Thanks for the tips.

Also, obtaining the relic weapon might prove difficult. I've yet to complete Orbonne Monastery; never was able to get a group for it and I've heard horror story about DFing this specific raid.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
is neoishgard really worth the money investment?

Thanks for the tips.

Also, obtaining the relic weapon might prove difficult. I've yet to complete Orbonne Monastery; never was able to get a group for it and I've heard horror story about DFing this specific raid.
well it use to be cheap before patch lol
pretty much if you not raiding savage then even 480 should be good enough until next tier.
rn just gear up from puppet 490 or allegory, and upgrade thr allegory as you get more coins.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
well it use to be cheap before patch lol
pretty much if you not raiding savage then even 480 should be good enough until next tier.
rn just gear up from puppet 490 or allegory, and upgrade thr allegory as you get more coins.

Oh I started playing again simply for getting through e5-8s. I understand I am 1 patch late lol

Hopefully I'll be able to do Orbonne someday. Would really love to pursue that chain quest.

Basically my objective is to get to ilvl500 before 5.4 when e9-12s comes out.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
Oh I started playing again simply for getting through e5-8s. I understand I am 1 patch late lol

Hopefully I'll be able to do Orbonne someday. Would really love to pursue that chain quest.

Basically my objective is to get to ilvl500 before 5.4 when e9-12s comes out.
well there will be probably 510/520 normal eden first then also crafted gears too. i wouldnt be worry for i500. but there should be more than enough time to get everything 500 tho

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
well there will be probably 510/520 normal eden first then also crafted gears too. i wouldnt be worry for i500. but there should be more than enough time to get everything 500 tho

Sorry. While I am talking about obtaining ilvl 500 gear, what I imply is that in order to obtain ilvl500 gear, I have to get through the savage raids, which really is my true motivation to play this game. I love the gameplay of these fights and the team coordination it requires to get through them. I basically went through all savage raids through party finder, which was both a terrible and a fantastic experience in its own.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry. While I am talking about obtaining ilvl 500 gear, what I imply is that in order to obtain ilvl500 gear, I have to get through the savage raids, which really is my true motivation to play this game. I love the gameplay of these fights and the team coordination it requires to get through them. I basically went through all savage raids through party finder, which was both a terrible and a fantastic experience in its own.
i500 gear can be purchased with Sacks of Nuts from hunt trains now, too. Or with 1 coin from Copied Factory and 1 coin from Puppet's Bunker. Not just Savage.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
How do you obtain augemented Crystarium pieces, or standard Crystarium pieces for that matter?
Crystarium gear is i490 from the weekly capped Tomestones of Allegory, and you can augment that to i500 with Twine or Glaze acquired from either Sacks of Nuts, NieR raid coins, or as Savage loot. Even though both sets are i500, they have different substats, so best in slot will have some of each.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Crystarium gear is i490 from the weekly capped Tomestones of Allegory, and you can augment that to i500 with Twine or Glaze acquired from either Sacks of Nuts, NieR raid coins, or as Savage loot. Even though both sets are i500, they have different substats, so best in slot will have some of each.

Yeah I am familiar with the BiS concept. My bard was BiS ilvl 470 with ilvl 475 Eden's Gate weapon prior to Eden's Verse release.

Thank you all for the information. This will prove useful in my conquest to get through e5-8s.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
so I finally, after plenty of hoops, could play the Free Trial version. My laptop could, somehow, handle the game. It's 720p and not even 30fps but wth, at least it's playable.

My trial character is a wood elf-ish Lancer/Archer, started on Gridania and I think my Lancer is lvl18 (my Archer is lvl12). It's been... fun. Somewhat addictive, as I think MMOs can be. Bullshit fetchquests though, but I think I'm grateful 'cause they're short. Story is slight as fuck so far (gonna spoilertag just in case)

So the only noteworthy thing plot-wise that has happened so far is the birdpeople (Ixal?) making incursions into the forest and a masked guy obviously behind the birdpeople's actions... but he's also a mook, obviously, for the bigger bad. Now the ruler of Gridania has allowed me passage into other cities. Haven't travelled yet. Also, on my Lancer questline, some Drow-looking motherfucker considers himself my mentor despite behaving really sketchy.

So I got a couple of ridiculously simple questions...

• I'm obviously finishing the first paragraph of the first chapter of the story, right? So the plot's gonna pick up (even if it's slowly) after a while, right?
  • There's a bunch of maps surrounding Gridania that are waaaay above my current level. Am I gonna return later to do quests there freely, or am I going to be locked out of returning for plot reasons until such restrictions go away?

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
so I finally, after plenty of hoops, could play the Free Trial version. My laptop could, somehow, handle the game. It's 720p and not even 30fps but wth, at least it's playable.

My trial character is a wood elf-ish Lancer/Archer, started on Gridania and I think my Lancer is lvl18 (my Archer is lvl12). It's been... fun. Somewhat addictive, as I think MMOs can be. Bullshit fetchquests though, but I think I'm grateful 'cause they're short. Story is slight as fuck so far (gonna spoilertag just in case)

So the only noteworthy thing plot-wise that has happened so far is the birdpeople (Ixal?) making incursions into the forest and a masked guy obviously behind the birdpeople's actions... but he's also a mook, obviously, for the bigger bad. Now the ruler of Gridania has allowed me passage into other cities. Haven't travelled yet. Also, on my Lancer questline, some Drow-looking motherfucker considers himself my mentor despite behaving really sketchy.

• I'm obviously finishing the first paragraph of the first chapter of the story, right? So the plot's gonna pick up (even if it's slowly) after a while, right?
  • There's a bunch of maps surrounding Gridania that are waaaay above my current level. Am I gonna return later to do quests there freely, or am I going to be locked out of returning for plot reasons until such restrictions go away?
You'll touch most, if not all, zones in the game.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017

The plot picks up around level 34 and things just keep stacking up. The presentation also gets a noticeable upgrade starting in Heavensward and the last ARR quests.

The game will take you to basically every zone you see on the map at some point.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
I bought ARR a long time ago, but never played it, didnt even activate it until Saturday. Bought the expansion since it was on sale to go with it.

I went in totally blind, just had my friends tell me which server to play on. The game feels really slow with the long GCD compared to other MMOs. Not sure if this will get better later or not.

I don't like the fact that you are required to do the group dungeons to progress the main story, and while in queue for that you can't do some of the other side quests too. So randomly have to sit and wait 30 minutes to progress the main story. SWTOR used to have this, but they got smart and made it all soloable. Hopefully this gets better later too.