• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you going to try the Free Trial?

• Yes

Votes: 261 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 221 34.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 180 27.9%

• Total voters

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
is the Rogue class worth it?

thinking about changing from Pugilist

Pugilist turns into monk which is the most involved class in the game because all of its combos have positional (side or back) to do their full damage. It's a tough job but has high dps.

Rouge turns into Ninja which is much simpler to play while you level and is kind of the magic melee of the game. I find it's animations some of the most satisfying and is very fun to play.

Everything is viable and depends entirely on what you like aestheticly and want to play. Some point around level 25 ish you will unlock palace of the dead. It has its own leveling system that quickly gets a class up to level 60 allowing you to try out a job at a reasonably higher level to see how you like it's skills and feel without the time commitment of leveling up 2 seperate class/jobs.

Last edited:

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's not so much the dungeons that get to me. It's everything else.

Doing the archer missions are they only time I actually have content that is at my level, and they are really quite fun. Having to navigate areas that have mobs at and above my level is tense, and the actual combat is much more strategic with me having to constantly pin enemies, go after casters, interrupt big attacks, maneuver out of AOEs, etc.

Everything else is just stand and spam attack until the thing 6-8 levels below me dies.

Well the good news is that there's much, much more of those as you progress the MSQ. It's the main way you unlock more dungeons, raids and trials/boss fight.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
But the soul of the dragon burns in me.
I generally commend the person that sticks out the most (in a good way!) or is very helpful in the dungeon.

But with this, you've won my heart.

q9zqes78bq731.jpg

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
As someone who has never played this game before and am interested to give it a go now the trial has been expanded, is the level 60 cap more than enough to get you through the base game say or will you hit a wall where you have to start paying beforehand?

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has never played this game before and am interested to give it a go now the trial has been expanded, is the level 60 cap more than enough to get you through the base game say or will you hit a wall where you have to start paying beforehand?

You will easily get through all the way to 60 on your main class just by doing MSQ

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
1-50 is the base game, 50-60 is the first expansion, Heavensward. You get to play both fully for free and will need to buy the base game and Shadowbringers (which includes Stormblood) to progress further. The max level cap right now, with Shadowbringers, is 80.

There are some restrictions as a trial account (mostly pertaining to social stuff, I assume to combat bots), but it's still a whole lotta content.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The MSQ will bring you through the entire base game ARR (50) and the whole of the first expansion, Heavensward (60).

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
What happens exactly if I switch class at level 36? Does it make me weaker? Maybe I could do that to "slow down" my Archer's progression?

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh that is good news. So I only need to keep in this rut for another 10 levels? I'll try to power through it.
Coming from someone who genuinely loves FFXIV, it honestly doesn't really matter if you're "overleveled". It's still going to be relatively easy content, and more importantly, combat just isn't that interesting until enough skill rotations and abilities unlock to give you enough options during combat to keep things lively. Dragoon is pretty boring even at 50, but then as we rise up to 60 it gets decent, then at 70 there's a ton to keep track of, and 80 can be nearly overwhelming unless you're on top of your game.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
What happens exactly if I switch class at level 36? Does it make me weaker? Maybe I could do that to "slow down" my Archer's progression?
Every class levels independently* of each other, which you can see from the Classes/Job tab of your Character page. That said, you'll receive a 100%+ bonus to your exp on any job that isn't your highest. So if you were to level a fresh class right now, it'd be double exp smooth sailing until you hit 36. :)

* There's one exception to this and that's the Arcanist, which at 30 becomes the Summoner (DPS) and Scholar (Healer) jobs simultaneously, which both level up concurrently with each other.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
First time I tried it and not really getting into it. Looks and feels pretty poor compared to FF7/15 etc.

Guess its to do with size of the game/mmo style pc structure, but it feels a massive step down from FF7r.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Sorry, I did not know that! Yeah, I can feel its age for sure.
It's also just an extremely different type of game with very different genre expectations and priorities. Its cooldown-based combat system and the way movement and collision work all comes down to its nature as a massively multiplayer game.

I will mention that combat early on is extremely, extremely basic and has almost no depth or complexity whatsoever compared to what you'll be doing later on, so if the fact that your character has like two or three buttons to push at the beginning is distracting you, give it a bit. The game really begins opening up mechanically once you unlock your job at level 30.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Here's how leveling (basically) works in FFXIV: the main story quest is broken up into pieces that require you be a certain level to start each part. That level is always what the game designers felt was exactly the level needed to complete that mission. So the levels are in lock-step with the story, up until the story of each part comes to an end - so for example, before the new update, when you reached level 50, that was the moment you could complete the final story quests for FFXIV 2.0, "A Realm Reborn". You would be exactly the right level to do so, when the game first launched there were no levels above 50, you just stopped earning XP. Then when the next expansion came out, in this case 3.0, Heavensward, the first quest would expect you to be level 50. Heavensward is designed to finish its story when you reach level 60 (leveling slows down quite a bit after 2.0).

So yes, the level 60 cap is enough to play through the base game "A Realm Reborn" and then the first expansion "Heavensward" without paying for a subscription. There are advantages that paid subscribers get, but they aren't required for doing just the main story.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know anything about the game really other than it was a MMO, so forgive my ignorance,.
Yeah, Final Fantasy XIV 2.0 came out way back in 2013. This big new update which expands the free trial isn't an entire remake of the graphics or anything, it's just smoothing out a lot of the clunkiness in the quest design for the first part of the game, since they learned a lot in the time since those quests were first created, and it was generally seen as a sore spot, since you have to complete the Realm Reborn story before you can access the much improved Heavesnward.

Plus they added some features into 2.0 that had been introduced in later expansions, such as flying mounts, which previously couldn't fly in the 2.0 areas.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Something that I can't make out of the OP F.A.Q. section. I downloaded the free version in May, when they let you play the entirety of ARR, I never finished in the 30 days that were included in the trial and so I have my Dragoon standing there at level 35 in the middle of the story. Can I use this trial to continue with my character and progress the story?

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Something that I can't make out of the OP F.A.Q. section. I downloaded the free version in May, when they let you play the entirety of ARR, I never finished in the 30 days that were included in the trial and so I have my Dragoon standing there at level 35 in the middle of the story. Can I use this trial to continue with my character and progress the story?
The older version of the trial, the one that capped out at level 35 that you played on, had no time limit on it, so your account should still be considered a free account and I imagine you'll be able to pick up right where you left off and make it all the way to 60 without spending a dime.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
The older version of the trial, the one that capped out at level 35 that you played on, had no time limit on it, so your account should still be considered a free account and I imagine you'll be able to pick up right where you left off and make it all the way to 60 without spending a dime.
I don't think we're talking about the same version of the trial. The one that I played was put out by square for like four days (this happened three months ago) and It let me play the game up to lv 50: possibly, if I had played more I could even beat the story.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I don't think we're talking about the same version of the trial. The one that I played was put out by square for like four days (this happened three months ago) and It let me play the game up to lv 50: possibly, if I had played more I could even beat the story.
You're absolutely right, I'd never heard of this trial before now, apologies. Before this latest patch, there was a general trial version of the game that let you play indefinitely but capped out at level 35, so your post made it sound like that was the trial to which you were referring. How odd, that there were different types of trials as recently as three months ago.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
You're absolutely right, I'd never heard of this trial before now, apologies. Before this latest patch, there was a general trial version of the game that let you play indefinitely but capped out at level 35, so your post made it sound like that was the trial to which you were referring. How odd, that there were different types of trials as recently as three months ago.
Don't worry, maybe I used the word "trial" wrong, so I found the thread here on Era which made me sign in
www.resetera.com

Final Fantasy XIV Online Starter Edition for PS4 free until May 26 (Includes A Realm Reborn and 30-day trial)

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/05/final-fantasy-xiv-online-starter-edition-for-ps4-free-until-may-26 Sorry if there was a thread on this, couldn't find it. FAQ made by fellow member:
So the question is pretty simple, can I use this new trial on my character made on the Starter Edition?

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry, maybe I used the word "trial" wrong, so I found the thread here on Era which made me sign in
www.resetera.com

Final Fantasy XIV Online Starter Edition for PS4 free until May 26 (Includes A Realm Reborn and 30-day trial)

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/05/final-fantasy-xiv-online-starter-edition-for-ps4-free-until-may-26 Sorry if there was a thread on this, couldn't find it. FAQ made by fellow member:
So the question is pretty simple, can I use this new trial on my character made on the Starter Edition?

'No you can't. You own the game now, so, now you have to subscribe to keep playing with that account

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So should i buy the complete edition on PC while its on sale for $30 and get the free play month? Or just resub on PS4 for $13? I only have up to Stormblood purchased there.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm working through the game on my main but since this thread is popping I'll throw this out here:

I'm trying to pick an alt job to level when my friends aren't on, and currently thinking of Summoner or Black Mage.

How complicated is each's rotations?

Is Summoner a mobile caster?

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I'm working through the game on my main but since this thread is popping I'll throw this out here:

I'm trying to pick an alt job to level when my friends aren't on, and currently thinking of Summoner or Black Mage.

I main SMN but also have level 80 BLM (though I haven't played BLM since I got it to 80).
Disclaimer: I don't play endgame contents that much and I didn't look up the 'proper' rotation for them.

SMN's rotation is more complicated with different phases. Regular->trance->bahamut->phoenix. SMN can be both mobile and stationary depending on the phases. Aside from dots(which is very important and much of your dps will come from them but there's not that much to talk about other than keep them up all the time), your regular spell is Ruin III which has cast time but you'll always have Ruin II that is insta-cast as an option. You also have pet attack (insta-cast) that share GCD but will give you ability to cast Ruin IV which is also insta-cast. Then you get into trance phases which makes your Ruin III also insta-cast making SMN very mobile. Then you get to Bahamut phase which turn you into stationary caster because Bahamut will move with you and won't attack while moving. Then the Phoenix phase is similar to Bahamut except now your Ruin is supercharged with Phoenix power. Then you are back to regular phase. It's a really fun class.

Most BLM spells have cast time. BLM is all about standing still for maximum damage so knowing the fight and know where to position yourself is very important. Later on you'll even have the ability to place ley lines which increase your spell speed so you will want to stand on your ley lines most of the time.
BLM's rotation is more simple. You'll generally have attack phase and mp regen phase. Fire spells have higher damage but cost much more mp while you'll regen your mp when you're in ice spell phase. So you'll switch between them all the time. Then you'll get to use some big spell after some conditions are met.

Last edited:

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017

Both aren't super complicated, SMN (acronym for summoner since FFXI) is more mobile as it is a DoT pet class DPS it also gains a combat Rez later on while Black Mage is more of a selfish DPS much like Samurai is for melee. They offer little utility but are all about Damage. One thing I learned playing as a BLM (acronym for Black Mage since FFXI days) back when I played through ARR at launch, is that you can move at the 75% mark for your spell cast bar more or less and it will finish casting. You can get the hang of this as a SMN or any caster really, but as a BLM you are far more reliant upon it.

BLM has a higher skill ceiling due the fact that if you wish to play it well you have to know the boss' attack rotations in any given fight to truly maximize your damage. You get tools as you level BLM to make this easier (a field buff for your own spell speed, a warp to party member to help dodge, a warp to go back to your cast speed buff marker).

SMN instead tests you on how well you can manage your pet actions (actions on your hot bar but your pet is the one that fires the nuke) on top of keeping your DoTs ticking away you then spam your nuke spell once all of that is taken care of. All your pet nukes are instant and can be used while moving so that's where a SMN can flex their mobility while hammering away at the boss. You have your choice of 3 pets 2 for DPS ST or AoE, and 1 for survivability (used to be the tank pet now it grants you a barrier to make you less squish but it's DPS is low AF).

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
What exactly do they streamline in ARR besides MSQ giving much more exp? I'm level 40 and that's like 10 levels above the cap of MSQ. The way I understand it, they made ARR so easy to get through by making it far less grindy at the caveat that some will find it boring.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
What exactly do they streamline in ARR besides MSQ giving much more exp? I'm level 40 and that's like 10 levels above the cap of MSQ. The way I understand it, they made ARR so easy to get through by making it far less grindy at the caveat that some will find it boring.
They also removed unnecessary quests and cut unnecessary quest steps from the MSQ.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
So should i buy the complete edition on PC while its on sale for $30 and get the free play month? Or just resub on PS4 for $13? I only have up to Stormblood purchased there.
That's going to depend on where you prefer to play, but the PC version is pretty much superior in every way if you have a decent enough PC to run it. I made the switch from PS4 to PC ages ago and never looked back. Also $30 for everything and a month of play time is a pretty damn good deal.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Ok guys I'm level 12 and I'm wondering should I bother with lower level side quests with lower level gear as rewards (and EXP of course) or should I just keep pushing the main and 'side quest+' missions when I see them until I get to a certain point?

Most sidequests I'm seeing now are several levels below me and I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time with them?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Ok guys I'm level 12 and I'm wondering should I bother with lower level side quests with lower level gear as rewards (and EXP of course) or should I just keep pushing the main and 'side quest+' missions when I see them until I get to a certain point?

Most sidequests I'm seeing now are several levels below me and I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time with them?

You can ignore them if you want to. Game is now structured so you don't have to do side quests to keep up with leveling. If you feel like you are wasting time with the side quests, then yeah feel free to skip.

dd492941

Oct 28, 2017
Wish I could try it but apparently I already own ff14 according to psn but I've never attempted to play it. So not too sure how that works.

dd492941

Oct 28, 2017
Oh true. That could work. Never even thought about that as I've had the same psn since the beginning.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
So it says in the OP you can play up to the first expansion for free if you create a new trial account, what about for those who paid and played around launch and never really came back and subbed after that? I'd assume so but not sure. Can I just start up from where I left off before, at no cost, or do I have to start over completely?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

Don't do any sidequests at all except for the vital exclamation ones for class and chocobo.

I levelled up with sidequests without doing the main mission for 4 levels now the entire main quest is extremely boring because I am constantly 5-8 levels above the content.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
The difficulty seems to have been neutered some time ago. When I ran through ARR in October it was already extremely easy. But yeah they give more EXP now for story quests and they chopped off entire quests to make things go faster. One patch had like 10 whole quests removed, for example, which is really nice for new players. Then they added flying to the ARR zones which is brand new and should certainly speed up some other quests since you can move faster.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's going to depend on where you prefer to play, but the PC version is pretty much superior in every way if you have a decent enough PC to run it. I made the switch from PS4 to PC ages ago and never looked back. Also $30 for everything and a month of play time is a pretty damn good deal.
There isn't much difference in PC vs PS4 besides PC being able to use 3rd party apps such as ACT and being able to save to an SSD. I switched from PS4 to PC because I was into raiding a lot at the time and wanted to use ACT. Saving the game onto an SSD was a nice bonus though with how much faster it loaded

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
So it says in the OP you can play up to the first expansion for free if you create a new trial account, what about for those who paid and played around launch and never really came back and subbed after that? I'd assume so but not sure. Can I just start up from where I left off before, at no cost, or do I have to start over completely?
Nope. If you have an account already you can't use the new free trial. You'll have to make a new account and new characters

dmgdbug

Oct 27, 2017
so i am in love from the free trial but am i shit out of luck if i want to play via steam if my account was made outside steam? the free trial is not registering through steam for some reason

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
so i am in love from the free trial but am i shit out of luck if i want to play via steam if my account was made outside steam? the free trial is not registering through steam for some reason
Honestly you're better off going with the direct Square Enix version than the Steam version. Not sure why you're unable to play the Steam trial, but I'd just go with the Square Enix version personally.