• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you going to try the Free Trial?

• Yes

Votes: 261 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 221 34.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 180 27.9%

• Total voters

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little confused with all the classes and jobs, the best idea should be to focus in only 1 class and job? or I should still unlock them all even if I don't want to level them up instantly?

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can I do this if I have already played the game and had subs in the past, I never got past level 30. If I can't no reason for me to jump back in yet.
No

There's a workaround, but it requires you abandoning that account, and if you were linked to a PSN account, you'll need to make a separate account to play on PS4

www.resetera.com

Here are the ways to register the FFXIV free trial for people with existing accounts

Given all the confusion about account creation for FFXIV (I know, it sucks) in light of the new patch and free trial extension, I figured there was a need for a specific thread people can defer to. For those with existing PS4 accounts: If you have the free trial already installed and have not...
I'm a little confused with all the classes and jobs, the best idea should be to focus in only 1 class and job? or I should still unlock them all even if I don't want to level them up instantly?
You can focus on whatever job you want. Stick with one for a bit and try to learn it, and if you're not feeling it, or if you just want a change of pace, switch to another one. You can go unlock them (well, most of them) whenever you want, so there's no need to rush around and unlock them all at once.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, I missed this announcement! I was just think about this game, but didn't feel like forking out the 15/month atm to get back into it.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Classes don't matter once you unlock the job(s) for it, you'll never not be using a job crystal.

You don't have to unlock any if you won't be leveling them. I have like 7 jobs at max level but haven't even unlocked Archer yet. There's no benefit such as being able to use abilities/traits on other jobs a la Tactics, each job is basically its independent thing here. The exception is the Arcanist class unlocking Scholar and Summoner, so if you level one you level the other.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
It used to be that you had to have 2 specific classes levelled to unlock one job at level 30, but they've since removed that and each class now transitions into one job (or two in the case of the Arcanist class, which lets you level the Scholar and Summoner jobs in tandem). Unlock new classes and jobs when you want to try something new.

Jobs added in expansions do not have a base class, but will require you to have reached certain levels in any job to unlock.

You can check out the job guide at https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/jobguide/battle/ to see the jobs your base classes will eventually transition into.

Should you focus? Well, you'll need to be certain levels in one job to progress the main story, but after all the experience boosts through expansions you'll likely be overlevelled without trying. You will also get double experience for any job you level that isn't your highest level one, until level 70.

And oh, keep an eye on your rested experience (the blue segment on your XP bar), if you've saved up a lot it might be a shame to blow it on a level 1 class!

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Well I've played for a couple hours now and I gotta ask, who are MMOs made for lol.

Granted I've only tried like an hour of WoW and now a couple hours here but all it is is fetch quests and, so far, a boring as hell battle system that just has me walking up to an enemy then alternating 1 and 2 on the numpad.

Perhaps things get better, perhaps they don't, but man, why do MMOs start out with boring ass gameplay for hours?

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I played all day with PS4 pad and it was actually really good! The only issue I have is switching between targets in the heat of the moment. Are there any good settings that are recommended with regard to this? Pressi X + having to switch between targets with the digipad feels weird.

DonFreecs

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I tried it yesterday, and the claims of the start being a slog were very accurate.
Well I've played for a couple hours now and I gotta ask, who are MMOs made for lol.

Granted I've only tried like an hour of WoW and now a couple hours here but all it is is fetch quests and, so far, a boring as hell battle system that just has me walking up to an enemy then alternating 1 and 2 on the numpad.

Perhaps things get better, perhaps they don't, but man, why do MMOs start out with boring ass gameplay for hours?
Man I am about to try this, but this gets me worried. Have tried a lot of MMO's and disliked all of them. For some reason I'm expecting to enjoy this, but I think I'm going to be disappointed.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

The first like 20 or so quests where you're stuck in your starting city is all slower tutorial stuff

Once you unlock more abilities and start working with others doing dungeons and trials it picks up.

Also, the first few hours of leveling a class when you don't really have any abilities can definitely be a a slog.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
The first like 20 or so quests where you're stuck in your starting city is all slower tutorial stuff

Once you unlock more abilities and start working with others doing dungeons and trials it picks up.

Also, the first few hours of leveling a class when you don't really have any abilities can definitely be a a slog.
And skipping those hours will hurt in the end, when you pick up a job already at level 50 (never mind skipping the entire story up to Shadowbringer) it's gonna hurt not knowing what the fuck is going on with dozens of buttons

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is what I see

RfuKIGI_d.jpg

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but did you buy it from the PSN store before the trial? I'm also in the same situation where I played the beta/trial a long time ago and can't get the trial to work on my main account. Asked them to unlink the account and still waiting for a response.
Did you maybe claim the starter edition when it was free a few months ago, and then accidentally downloaded it instead of the free trial version of the game, which led to registering that key instead?
I think this might be it. I redownloaded from my library because it wouldn't let me download from the store. Elite49 let me know what they say because I may need them to unlink mine as well. Thanks!

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Did you maybe claim the starter edition when it was free a few months ago, and then accidentally downloaded it instead of the free trial version of the game, which led to registering that key instead?
Do you know for sure if it's based on PSN store downloading or SE account linking?
I think this might be it. I redownloaded from my library because it wouldn't let me download from the store. Elite49 let me know what they say because I may need them to unlink mine as well. Thanks!
Will do but now I'm thinking it might not if it's based on the PSN store purchase and not just the SE account linked.

Last edited:

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
I'm pretty sure it's based on account linking. You can download the game, but as long as you don't register within the game you haven't activated.
Ok because I asked them to unlink my PSN account from that old SE account that had played another trial years ago but I also downloaded that free trial version from PSN a few months ago when that was offered. My hope is that they'll unlink it but I don't know if they have my PSN account marked as "Standard" and will just transfer that over to the new account that they asked for.

OP
OP
golguin

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
So I played all day with PS4 pad and it was actually really good! The only issue I have is switching between targets in the heat of the moment. Are there any good settings that are recommended with regard to this? Pressi X + having to switch between targets with the digipad feels weird.

I use a controller and I cycle through enemy targets once you have one selected. the other thing I usually do is use line of sight by breaking lock on and locking back in, which may take some practice as you need to know the position of your character. It's not much different than character action games lock on system.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Started up last night with a friend, and been enjoying it since. Can't do parties, but we started out in the same city and were able to go around together with discord.

Really like the Au Ra, although too bad the horns, scales, and faces weren't separate parts to customize. Think I like the expansion races more than the base ones honestly. XXD

EfQQFE3U8AAHrrn

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The character creation paralysis is real. Don't know what race to choose. Their only diference is aesthetics, right?

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

If you just want to progress in the main story, keep sticking to one class (which at lvl 30 upgrades to a job upon completing the requisite job quest). The MSQ quest exp was revamped to give sufficient experience so that you can have an unbroken run with no filler grinding. Every job can carry you to the endgame even playing solo. Additional jobs can be done any time if you want to try something else/different role.

The character creation paralysis is real. Don't know what race to choose. Their only diference is aesthetics, right?

Yup, any stat difference is completely negligible.

So choose Au Ra! Join the lizard gang! :P

Oct 27, 2017
You could, or you could just create a new character on another server than your current one so you don't lose progress as well. I don't think it would have changed that much between when you started and level 30 though. If anything, you're right at the point where the trimming would have made a noticeable difference.
Thanks!

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
Also, when you beat the base game, you get a potion that lets you redesign your character from scratch, so don't agonize over the character creation screen too much.

In other news, I think I am now one of the wealthiest on my server.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
When you are holding down R2 or L2 to use your skills, you can press R1 or L1 to switch to other target. This way you don't have to keep lifting your finger up when fighting multiple enemies. Also, there are extensive target options you can customize, I recommend checking them out in setting.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Tried it with the hopes of being able to play some with a friend and uhh.... they locked out both party invites and adding friends.
Also the early game is as utterly dull and awful as I remember when the game launched, with some of the most mindless fetch quests and mob killing grind.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Pressing X fast-targets the closest interactable or enemy. Actually is one of the advantages controller has over KBM for fast-targeting or in player-crowded situation (e.g. half the sever trying to talk to one NPC during patch launch day).

You can tab-target between enemies when you hold down the trigger for the crossbar and press L1/R1. Very useful if you just want to quickly switch between stuff.

L1+up/down on dpad lets you cycle through the target list on the left of the screen for a soft lock, then press x to hard lock.

If you're playing healer and just need to do a single target heal (or any case of throwing down a single target buff), d-pad up/down cycles through your party list for a soft lock which returns to your original target after cast. Press X if you want to hard lock.

Good idea to go through this video as it introduces a bunch of useful controller features.

Last edited:

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Will playing the free trial lock me out of the refer-a-friend bonus stuff if i eventually buy it?

I know someone that plays but really don't want to dive in and buy it until I know I enjoy it enough to commit. But I think I saw the referral thing gives you an item that levels you faster up to 25, and anything i can do to save time is huge for me.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm still in the first city as a pugilist. Are crafting related jobs something people do on the side or do you leave it all for endgame?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still in the first city as a pugilist. Are crafting related jobs something people do on the side or do you leave it all for endgame?
It's really personal preference. You can level them as you play through the story or do it after you're done with everything. You can potentially make your own leveling gear if you want.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan

It's up to you, but I will say that crafting early has a lot of benefits, particularly when it comes to upgrading your gear and unlocking all sorts of cool stuff.

Certain crafts and gathering jobs go well together too. If you wanna be a weaver, botany and mining will come in handy. If you wanna explore carpentry, definitely be a botanist too, etc.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
A few questions:

Can you make the L R triggers toggles instead of holds? My hand is getting destroyed having to hold them for every combat.

Someone mentioned an alternate and more effecient controller scheme. Is there a tutorial on how to use it and set it up?

Also, how do you resize just the center bottom command hotbar for the controller ? In the UI section I could only see how to resize the keyboard based hotbar.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's so that you know what you do. 1-50 is just a tutorial for the world, the gameplay, the things you can do and the start of the real MSQ at the end. It's suppose to be longer than your standard single player game, because MMO have you play and live your character and FFXIV is big in that regard. All of the boring shit I've done back then at release (and it was way way way worse back then) made me appreciate a lot of things when I returned this year.

No single player RPG made me really feel like I deserve to be called hero or that I am one. It's also the only MMO where I feel like my character has some character himself without me being there right there. Lots of stuff pays off, but if someone doesn't like rotating skills and pressing buttons (1-47, 47 is where it starts to get a bit more difficult and the difficulty increases with each dungeon) then those games aren't for you.

You are suppose to play and explore at your own pace. There is so much to do outside of the MSQ that I still haven't seen a quarter of everything even though I finished 5.3 yesterday (which was fucking amazing and made it the best FF since 9 for me).

I mean if someone hates reading text then this game is absolutely not for them. One of those rare games where I really read everything they say because it's important. ARR has some old language in it though but improves 200% with Heavensward in this regard and get to the point a lot quicker.

Pressing X fast-targets the closest interactable or enemy. Actually is one of the advantages controller has over KBM for fast-targeting or in player-crowded situation (e.g. half the sever trying to talk to one NPC during patch launch day).

On PC you just hold Y/Z and you only click on things you can interact with btw. ;) laughed my ass off when people cried that they can't interact with that one point on the ground lol

Deleted member 46008

user requested account closure
Banned
Jul 18, 2018
A few questions:

Can you make the L R triggers toggles instead of holds? My hand is getting destroyed having to hold them for every combat.

Someone mentioned an alternate and more effecient controller scheme. Is there a tutorial on how to use it and set it up?

Also, how do you resize just the center bottom command hotbar for the controller ? In the UI section I could only see how to resize the keyboard based hotbar.
1)For your first question go to character configuration ->Hotbar settings-> Cross and it should be in the section that says Cross Hotbar Controls.
2)I don't really how to help you on this one, but it might be referring to adding extra cross hotbars?
3)I think you are referring to the Cross Hotbar, in which case it's in HUD layout->Cross Hotbar->UI Element Settings and you should be able to adjust the size in the button that shows 100%.

anemovision

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Aug 8, 2018
I was considering checking out but I can't get past the login screen, it says I need a one time password but can't use the app unless I purchase the game.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I was considering checking out but I can't get past the login screen, it says I need a one time password but can't use the app unless I purchase the game.

I don't think you need to put anything in the one time password field, just hit enter there with your normal screen name and normal PW and it should let you thru

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I started off as a Gladiator and picked up crafting jobs Goldsmithing, Alchemy, Mining and Weaving. How to I get the other jobs like Culinary or fisherman or stuff like that?

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I started off as a Gladiator and picked up crafting jobs Goldsmithing, Alchemy, Mining and Weaving. How to I get the other jobs like Culinary or fisherman or stuff like that?

Once you progress far enough on the main story quests, you get the option to travel between the other capital cities, where the other gathering/crafting classes are.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
The quests are in the different starting areas, I believe. Different classes start in different parts of the world.
Once you progress far enough on the main story quests, you get the option to travel between the other capital cities, where the other gathering/crafting classes are.
I recently started playing this but I

I played for 20 hours and I know the crafting jobs are scattered around the map.

Thanks dudes, I'll just continue on with the story and not stress about the other crafting jobs

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This game is awesome. I have zero experience with MMOs and I keep getting distracted by everything but I'm about 8 hours in and having a great time so far.

MisterZimbu

Oct 27, 2017

Besides the story itself (which in and of itself doesn't really get good until the end of the base game), the single player experience in the game isn't great. Quest design doesn't improve at all. The only plus to the quest design is that while the quests are boring, they never get grindy like other MMOs. If you have to kill X things, X usually never goes above 3. If you have to collect drops from an enemy, the drops are always 100% droprate. If you can bear through this, ARR's story is OK, Heavensward and Stormblood's are great (and where the game starts feeling truly like a Final Fantasy), and Shadowbringers's is incredible.

But yeah, the vast majority of quest chains are basically "Go to X, watch a cutscene, go to Y, watch a cutscene, kill 3 goblins, 3 more cutscenes". That won't change.

Combat will open up once you start running dungeons with other people. My DRG at max level has a rotation of around 20 abilities. The boss fights in dungeons (and some of the single player bosses) become more dynamic and tuned around dodging complicated sets of mechanics.

The appeal of modern MMOs tends to come from investing time into and progressing a character, and running endgame content (dungeons and raids) with other people.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Tried it with the hopes of being able to play some with a friend and uhh.... they locked out both party invites and adding friends.
Also the early game is as utterly dull and awful as I remember when the game launched, with some of the most mindless fetch quests and mob killing grind.
Ya, not being able to make parties is one of the restrictions of the free trial. You can be invited to a party, but you can't make your own.