• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you going to try the Free Trial?

• Yes

Votes: 261 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 221 34.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 180 27.9%

• Total voters

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
So I play without a time limit and without having to pay for a subscription up to a certain point? If so Im in. Sometimes i dont play a lot per day so if I dont have a time limit I would enter.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really interested in this but hearing that this takes like hundreds of hour keep me away from it. I really don't have that much time to spend just to enjoy the story nowadays.
I gave it a try a while ago but the amounts of contents overwhelmed me as a new player. There are so much to do and I couldn't figure out what to do.
quests with a big meteor icon, those are the main story quests
blue exclamation mark with a + sign quests are quests that unlock side content

the game opens up the 1st time at level 50 so if you just start you should just do the main story quests to raise your level

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
So they got rid of the subscription fee? Because this would mean people with free trial play all they want forever and other people still paying to play?
There's two expansions after where the trial ends, and trial accounts have restrictions on them that anyone who wants to play the game long term would want to get rid of, particularly the inability to engage in the various social systems and the market board.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we still expecting the new expansion to be announced this year?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently playing on the trial from a month or so ago and am around level 30. Can I delete my character to start a new one on the trial to check out how the earlier content changed?

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I'm currently playing on the trial from a month or so ago and am around level 30. Can I delete my character to start a new one on the trial to check out how the earlier content changed?
You could, or you could just create a new character on another server than your current one so you don't lose progress as well. I don't think it would have changed that much between when you started and level 30 though. If anything, you're right at the point where the trimming would have made a noticeable difference.

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
I completed ARR years ago and haven't played any of the expansions. I have completely forgot how to play this game.

Is it better to just startover? Or try to relearn the gane with my previous character?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I completed ARR years ago and haven't played any of the expansions. I have completely forgot how to play this game.

Is it better to just startover? Or try to relearn the gane with my previous character?

Could just play a level 1 class to get a hang of things again, then go back.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have to play the original game first? I played it a bit but gave up when a mission queue took forever on multiple oceanic servers.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017

Could hop into Palace of the Dead solo with its own fast levelling from level 1 to relearn step by step. Chances your job is even simpler to play at low levels due to the ability pruning that happens with each expansion to make room for new ones.

Also check out the official Job Guide website.

Restarting sounds like an unnecessary chore. If you wanna brush up on the story there's the book at the inn, or, if you made it all the way through 2.55 and where Heavensward begins, Youtube recaps.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If there are any newbies coming over to Crystal data centre, I'll be happy to help out how I can.
I really miss Crystal and Mateus. Swapped to Europe to play with my friend and we aren't really friends anymore so now im stuck here and just want to go back to Mateus again lmao

Highly recommend crystal for any newbies or casual players. Community there is super nice.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I really miss Crystal and Mateus. Swapped to Europe to play with my friend and we aren't really friends anymore so now im stuck here and just want to go back to Mateus again lmao

Highly recommend crystal for any newbies or casual players. Community there is super nice.

Mateus isn't congested anymore, so you can make the jump! Just...have toi pay alas

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I bought the game and subscribed for one month a long time ago. I barely played it. I think I got to level 12.

...but now I can't take advantage of the free trial or play through ARR/HS at all, as a result? 🤷‍♀️

When I try to log in it tells me I need to have a sub.

Pretty horrible system, tbh. Seems to not take into account longtime lapsed players at all. And before you suggest I just make a new account, keep in mind that this account is the one that has the base game + every expansion unlocked on it, so to play on a new account I'd have to rebuy them

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Are we still expecting the new expansion to be announced this year?

It would have been announced in November, but the American and Japanese Fanfests have been cancelled. It's just a matter of time until the European Fanfest is cancelled. Who knows what they'll do. They haven't announced any replacements for the Fanfests yet.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I bought the game and subscribed for one month a long time ago. I barely played it. I think I got to level 12.

...but now I can't take advantage of the free trial or play through ARR/HS at all, as a result? 🤷‍♀️

When I try to log in it tells me I need to have a sub.

Pretty horrible system, tbh. Seems to not take into account longtime lapsed players at all. And before you suggest I just make a new account, keep in mind that this account is the one that has the base game + every expansion unlocked on it, so to play on a new account I'd have to rebuy them
I mean I don't know what you expect, you already have all the expansions even. Payment in my mind isn't even that bad. $13/month. If you're buying new games they're like $60 ($80 in Canada :( ).

It's the sub or you gotta make a new account. Complete edition is for sale at $30 and you don't have to apply it to that account right away, so you can take advantage of the free trial that way.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I mean I don't know what you expect, you already have all the expansions even. Payment in my mind isn't even that bad. $13/month. If you're buying new games they're like $60 ($80 in Canada :( ).

It's the sub or you gotta make a new account. Complete edition is for sale at $30 and you don't have to apply it to that account right away, so you can take advantage of the free trial that way.

I expect to be able to play through ARR for free. Why should I NOT expect that? To expect anything else is nuts:

Me, having paid for ARR and all expansions: Have to buy a sub to play.
You, having never paid for anything: You don't have to buy a sub to play.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
I expect to be able to play through ARR for free. Why should I NOT expect that? To expect anything else is nuts:

Me, having paid for ARR and all expansions: Have to buy a sub to play.
You, having never paid for anything: You don't have to buy a sub to play.
Probably better to just let every account access ARR and HW, then check for payment/subscription status for the later 2 expansion, but I guess that's too much for them to change

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
It would have been announced in November, but the American and Japanese Fanfests have been cancelled. It's just a matter of time until the European Fanfest is cancelled. Who knows what they'll do. They haven't announced any replacements for the Fanfests yet.

I recall them saying that they might make it an online streaming event.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Probably better to just let every account access ARR and HW, then check for payment/subscription status for the later 2 expansion, but I guess that's too much for them to change

This is really what they should've done, the current system is non-sensical.

Amakusa

Nov 2, 2017
I'd love to try this game (on PS4), but it always tells me my ID/Password doesn't match. Is the SE account required for this game a different one from the, well, official SE account? I have a SE account, the one you can login into their website and register your games on (which I did for many games over the last ten years). I know my ID and the PW is 100% correct, so I wonder...

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Happens to me when I resub every major expansion.

Best to just look at a class guide video online. One that is current with the latest patch version though! It really doesn't take that long to get the gist of your combat rotations down again, and a few minute YouTube video can make you quickly informed on things you both forgot and also weren't aware of.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'd love to try this game (on PS4), but it always tells me my ID/Password doesn't match. Is the SE account required for this game a different one from the, well, official SE account? I have a SE account, the one you can login into their website and register your games on (which I did for many games over the last ten years). I know my ID and the PW is 100% correct, so I wonder...

That is the Square Enix store account, that's a separate thing. I was confused about that initially too.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
This is really what they should've done, the current system is non-sensical.
when they said they're changing Free Trial, that's literally it - they changed only the Free Trial limits. Everyone who don't have access to the Free Trial status won't get anything
this is somehow tied to their account privilege system and they can't do anything, I can feel it

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Tried it out tonight and my PC was running HOT. Is this a known thing or am I gonna have dust my PC?

Eligor

Jan 9, 2018
Always wanted to try this game. I'd really like to play through the story with my SO, would it be possible if we're both on free trial accounts ? Is the content even duo-friendly ?

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Always wanted to try this game. I'd really like to play through the story with my SO, would it be possible if we're both on free trial accounts ? Is the content even duo-friendly ?

There's no "duo" content per-say. But both of you guys can be in the same party and play alongside each other through the whole game for sure. (Just as long as someone else makes the party, free trial accounts can't create them).

Kito

Nov 6, 2017

Try putting a space after the last letter of your username/password/security question. This happened to my roommate and I guess it's because the PS4 soft keyboard inserted a space after her password.

Kyo_daikun

Mar 31, 2020
So to clarify, I have to buy at least the £10 Online starter edition, then I can play for free up to level 60?

Or is there a way that doesn't involve me spending £10 out of interest.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So to clarify, I have to buy at least the £10 Online starter edition, then I can play for free up to level 60?

Or is there a way that doesn't involve me spending £10 out of interest.

No, the Starter Edition is the license for the full game. If you get that you'll only get 30 free days and then you'll be on a paid sub account.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, I seem to be struggling to find the free trial then as Steam doesn't have it and the Square website isn't making it easy to find either, I will go back through this thread and see if anyone posted it.
Is this not it?

store.steampowered.com

FINAL FANTASY XIV Online Free Trial on Steam

For newcomers, the Free Trial includes 3 award-winning titles. Join over 30 million adventurers online and experience an unforgettable story, exhilarating battles, and a myriad of captivating environments to explore.

First result googling "FFXIV free trial steam"

Kyo_daikun

Mar 31, 2020
Is this not it?

store.steampowered.com

FINAL FANTASY XIV Online Free Trial on Steam

For newcomers, the Free Trial includes 3 award-winning titles. Join over 30 million adventurers online and experience an unforgettable story, exhilarating battles, and a myriad of captivating environments to explore.

First result googling "FFXIV free trial steam"

Thanks a lot, saved me some searching as it definitely was not coming up when I searched on Steam for whatever reason.