• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you going to try the Free Trial?

• Yes

Votes: 261 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 221 34.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 180 27.9%

• Total voters

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
You can't /shout /yell or /tell with a trial account (or trade or do any kind of marketplace transaction for that matter), so that's unlikely to be the reason.

Honestly, I think it's just a matter of the backend being so old and fractured that it would be such a large engineering project to rework and unify it that they don't think it's worthwhile. The free trial was a relatively late addition to the game, and it always felt a bit bolted-on. Even now, it's a completely separate account, launcher and download.

Dunno about your server, but bots on Balmung use /say to advertise while being underneath the Limsa aetheryte

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
I had my first real shit tank the other day in Aurum Vale.

Verbally abused the healer and then dropped after dying.

But that is definitely the minority in my 4 months playing.
FFXIV is mostly a really nice community. I only had a couple of episodes in about 3 years of playing, so I'd say it's pretty good :)

Somehow this is the most common argument of FFXIV: it's always the healer's fault.
Some tanks will pull 450392 enemies and yet, it's the healer's fault for not healing them fast enough.

Cruziao

Oct 25, 2017
Never played FFXIV before, interested to try it because of the new free trial
but I can't even make my SQ account... got i2501 error I think, and I need to wait 24 hours =_=
Registered for US since my country isn't on the list (SEA region).
Is there region lock or something like that?

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
SEA and OCEANIA community are mostly in tonberry server, so it's the biggest english speaking server in japan based data center
if the server isn't open for new players then afaik there are some small communities in other servers in the same elemental data center

keep in mind you can visit other servers now as long as you're in the same data center

Never played FFXIV before, interested to try it because of the new free trial
but I can't even make my SQ account... got i2501 error I think, and I need to wait 24 hours =_=
Registered for US since my country isn't on the list (SEA region).
Is there region lock or something like that?
no region lock, region is just for account and billing address purposes mainly
back when i played i chose US for my region and i was playing from indonesia

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Can I use the new free trial on steam? I created an account on the website, when I try to start the game on steam its asking me for a cd key.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Can I use the new free trial on steam? I created an account on the website, when I try to start the game on steam its asking me for a cd key.
it's generally not recommended to play the steam version, because if you ended up liking the game and want to buy the expansions and future expansions you must buy them from steam

Cruziao

Oct 25, 2017
SEA and OCEANIA community are mostly in tonberry server, so it's the biggest english speaking server in japan based data center
if the server isn't open for new players then afaik there are some small communities in other servers in the same elemental data center

keep in mind you can visit other servers now as long as you're in the same data center

no region lock, region is just for account and billing address purposes mainly
back when i played i chose US for my region and i was playing from indonesia
Oh okay, gonna try again tomorrow then.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I tried to download the demo version but it tells me its already in my library (the full version is in there as I purchased it a few years ago)
If you already own the full version, you can't play the free trial. If you want to play the trial you need a new account or just give up on steam version. You can also add the game into your library if you want to use steam remote play even if it's not steam version.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
My question is can I try it if I bought that standard edition years ago but only played an hour of the game?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I tried the free trial last year for a few hours and it seemed pretty fun, so if I can I'd be curious to play some more.

That being said, race wise I only really like the sort of lion people added with last year's expansion, and I think I actually need to buy the expansion to make a character of that race, so I'll probably leave playing it.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I tried the free trial last year for a few hours and it seemed pretty fun, so if I can I'd be curious to play some more.

That being said, race wise I only really like the sort of lion people added with last year's expansion, and I think I actually need to buy the expansion to make a character of that race, so I'll probably leave playing it.
For completing the base game you get an item that allows you to change your character's looks, and if you and up liking and eventually buying, you could use it then and have your lion guy lol.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
For completing the base game you get an item that allows you to change your character's looks, and if you and up liking and eventually buying, you could use it then and have your lion guy lol.
Oh yeah, I think I remember reading that lol. I guess that's an option at least.

Are all classes available with this trial? I know you can only select some later on, but I don't need to buy expansions for stuff like Dancer or the Gunblade class, do I?

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
If you're buying the game and gonna pay for the sub on Steam, yeah, no problem. Only problem would be is if you wanted to play the free trial on PC on that account (you would be not eligible since you bought the game on PS4)

If you only played the 14 day trial, you don't need to pay $15/month yet. You can play the new free trial. Look at the post above this one for the changes.

This is what the site said to me when I tried to play the free trial:

"Square Enix accounts that have already registered for a FINAL FANTASY XIV service account are not eligible for a free trial.

Please log in using a Square Enix account that has not registered a FINAL FANTASY XIV service account."

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I bought the base game with Heavensward from a promotion a few years ago but never ended up playing them. So what I gather from this thread is my options are: a) Play it on a different PS4 profile/PC for free or b) Pay the sub. Is that correct? If so then WTF. Why the fuck would they make buying the game an even more expensive option?

Arkhanor

Oct 27, 2017
Recife - Brazil
I can't. Already have an account since release (but didn't played it enough to get pass level 19). Is it different now or do I need a trial account, same as before?

Edit: Already answered before haha.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
I've loved the game since I started earlier this year although I find myself having to do month on, month off to avoid burning out. Currently a couple of zones into heavenward and things are definitely picking up. Bit annoyed I ploughed through all the ARR and bridge to heavenward content before this update but still, onwards. Only problem at the moment is I can see myself overlevelling quite badly. Already level 56 in early heavenward content so may hold off on buying the expansions to cap myself for a bit

WarReadyVet

Jun 15, 2020
It's a very strong MMO, especially if you were ever scared about making alts (alternate characters to fulfill different classes) since your main can change classes just by equipping the correct weapon. That being said, my laptop is a potato, so I'm still waiting patiently for the XBox release.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Oh yeah, I think I remember reading that lol. I guess that's an option at least.

Are all classes available with this trial? I know you can only select some later on, but I don't need to buy expansions for stuff like Dancer or the Gunblade class, do I?
No Samurai, Redmage, Gunbreaker, Dancer

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
If you've previously played the free trial but not bought the game, the problem is that you're trying to activate the free trial on an account that already has the free trial. You should be able to just log in.

Yeah I'm going to need to have an active subscription for me to even download it. I do have a level 19 pugilist from years ago, but I can't do much without an active subscription on this account.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
If I already downloaded the demo on PSN a month or so ago (when they had a free trial event) and never played that, can I just start that or do I have to delete and download this demo?

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
This is probably a stupid question and I assume the answer is yes but can I use two different free trial accounts on one PC? I want to test how the game will be on my PC and I want to make an account for that. My girlfriend also wants to try the game so she would make an account too, likely using the same PC. Just wanted to make sure it doesn't do some weird one account kind of thing if you log out of one account and try to log in with another.

DigitalT

Oct 27, 2017
This will be my second attempt, hopefully I can get into it this time as all my friends love it.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I bought FF14 on the PS3 and was able to play the PS4 version with an upgrade option they had. However, it never showed that I owned the PS4 version of the game.

I think I remember getting the Starter edition when it was free a couple of months ago.

I tried to download that but it told me I already owned the Standard edition. So I downloaded that instead.

I entered my SE account and it said I had a PS4 Beta service account. But it also lets me create a new service account.

If I select new service account (don't care about my old stuff), do I still get the trial?

Or can I still use that one that says Beta? Maybe there's items there I can use on a new character.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Put about an hour in before leaving for work, so far so good. Rocking a Lancer.

Loving how FF12 the game looks and feels.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Looks like I can't do the free play.

I selected new service account. Then went through the character creation process... and it says 30 Days remaining.

Does that mean that it believes I bought the game and I have 30 free days before I need to purchase a subscription?

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
For the love of all that is holy, turn off the option to play the mount music in your settings. Otherwise you will only hear the chocobo or generic riding theme instead of the area music whenever you are mounted.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It still blows my mind how much this game has turned around. I still remember the QA team freaking out about the release complaining that the main town wasn't even working.....and now I remember how long ago that was and I feel sooooooo oooold.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Like I said in the other thread, this will be the third chance I give the game. It better win me over something incredible or I'm done with it for good.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I can't do the free play.

I selected new service account. Then went through the character creation process... and it says 30 Days remaining.

Does that mean that it believes I bought the game and I have 30 free days before I need to purchase a subscription?
Are you using the same PSN account?

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I remember playing this but I am not sure if it was on the PS3 or PC...I also dont remember if I played just the first free month maybe they had...? I am pretty sure I never payed a monthly sub either but I could be wrong lol...I remember having somekind of problem with my SE account or something...pretty sure this will all come back if I try this but its only 11 GB so might as well give it a shot...it will prompt me to create a SE account I guess when I try to login and play...? is there an even bigger patch after the initial 11 GB...?