• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you going to try the Free Trial?

• Yes

Votes: 261 40.4%
  • No

Votes: 221 34.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 180 27.9%

• Total voters

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I'm excited to see the new sprouts! The game has a match-making feature for dungeons and instanced content, so not being able to form a party yourself isn't too much of a detriment. The majority of the game will be a solo story a la normal FF games.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
But if I get the full thing because I liked the demo, How many hours would it take theoretically?
I would say if you play through the end of Heavensward (so you'd start right at 4.0 for Stormblood), it would take you about ~45 hours to get to the first Nier raid. This is assuming you skip the story (not a great idea imo but up to you) and basically be as efficient as possible with regards to XP and only focusing on story content.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The other recent video from Larry is also really good, albeit couched in memes:

If you want a short list of youtubers:

- Mr Happy has plenty of useful guides for features. Should you use his dungeon and trial guides? I'll leave that up to everyone else to fight about, lol.
- Mizzteq has some pretty good concise guides, if you quickly want to watch while sitting in queue.
- denmomcstronghuge has the best content.
- Meoni's good for new content like glamour, minions, and other stuff.
- Graehl Gaming is chronically late to the party, but he has some of the best production values regardless.
- Drakgamestein for the funny raid memes.

Zuly

Oct 26, 2017
Puerto Rico
What happens if someone is say halfway through vanilla ARR?
meziMmT.png

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
What happens if someone is say halfway through vanilla ARR?
What happens in regards to what? They aren't really making that many, if any, quest changes to that section, just XP changes, if you're talking about what happens re: quests. If a quest does get cut or changed, you'll be directed to drop the quest and reaccept it

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
How do you access the Free Trial Mode tomorrow on PS4?

And has that big update been released that streamlines or improved the beginning of the game? What did the update do exactly that's so helpful for new players?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
So anyone who already had a sub previously but only played for a little bit and cancelled doesn't have access to the free trial? They would have to sub again? Even if it's a new character?

That seems silly.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
How do you access the Free Trial Mode tomorrow on PS4?
It's listed as a demo on the Final Fantasy XIV Starter Edition store page.
Is this the Big patch that streamlines the ARR content?
Yes.
So anyone who already had a sub previously but only played for a little bit and cancelled doesn't have access to the free trial? They would have to sub again? Even if it's a new character?

That seems silly.
Correct. If you own the game, you're no longer eligible for the the free trial.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
1 question, how fast can I get to the Nier-Auto content and do that stuff?
Well, I just hit expansion 1 (Heavensward) yesterday, after over 7 days of playtime (170ish hours at this point), but with the revamp I'm sure a dozen or so of those hours could be shaved off.

The Nier raids are end game content for the 3rd expansion (Shadowbringers).

It'll probably be awhile.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
What specifically was streamlined or how effective of a change to ARR is it that makes it helpful? Specifics with actual detail would help me decide! Thanks everyone

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to, but it hurts to not be able to use my Steam copy of the game. :(

Wish they just made that portion F2P and called it a day.

I'll still most likely create a new account to play it.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I did my free trial years ago on PS4 so I'm guessing I can't do it again.

Oh well. I'm just waiting for the game + expansion to go on sale on Steam before returning to my Bard character. Don't know why they would discount the game on every store but Steam, go figures.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
A warning for trophy nuts: You can't get trophies with the free version. I learned this the hard way..

ReCross

Oct 25, 2017
I'll create a new account to play with my friends since they haven't played it yet. That and my sub has expired a long time ago.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
MMO hours are crazy and i probably shouldn't stick with the game (still going to try the demo) but im trying to play less video games and this sounds like bad news to my WoW memories of darkness

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did my free trial years ago on PS4 so I'm guessing I can't do it again.

Oh well. I'm just waiting for the game + expansion to go on sale on Steam before returning to my Bard character. Don't know why they would discount the game on every store but Steam, go figures.

If you are having any issues just create a new user account on your PS4 and download the free trial again.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if you havent give it a try, its free after all. shadowbringers is still my favorite ff game ever.

Oct 25, 2017
Not me, that's for sure!

I just got up to Requiem For Heroes part 1 when the servers went down yesterday. :)

But srsly the free trial stuff is cool and I've got a fair few friends who want to try it out now :)

1 question, how fast can I get to the Nier-Auto content and do that stuff?

I started in october last year, a few days after 5.1 hit, specifically because of the Nier Raids.

As mentioned above, I haven't gotten to Shadowbringers yet.

It's worth it though.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I last played it when ARR first came out and had a 14 day trial. Is it more engaging and streamlined than when I first played it years ago?

I would assume yes, but I think I need excuses to pay $15 a month.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
If there are any newbies coming over to Crystal data centre, I'll be happy to help out how I can.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
You're eligible for the free trial, even if you played it years ago when it had a 14 day restriction. You just can't have bought the game.
I bought the game actually.

If you are having any issues just create a new user account on your PS4 and download the free trial again.
I don't have a PS4 anymore. My plan is to use my PS4 character on Steam. That's possible right?

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
What specifically was streamlined or how effective of a change to ARR is it that makes it helpful? Specifics with actual detail would help me decide! Thanks everyone
What we know:
  • 13% of all quests in the MSQ (Main Scenario Quest) from 2.0 to 2.55 have been axed entirely. Anything that hasn't been removed has been shortened as much as could be.
  • Teleport tickets to the Waking Sands are available for new players.
  • MSQ now rewards more experience.
  • Bonus experience will be rewarded when completing a dungeon for the first time.
  • Dungeon drops in A Realm Reborn have been tweaked, and you will receive a guaranteed piece of gear/weapon for the job you're playing as upon completion of certain ARR dungeons.
  • Flying in ARR zones will be immediately available upon completion of the base 2.0 MSQ.
Edit: Make sure to read that screencap of the patch notes regarding the ARR changes posted above.

Last edited:

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I don't have a PS4 anymore. My plan is to use my PS4 character on Steam. That's possible right?
If you're buying the game and gonna pay for the sub on Steam, yeah, no problem. Only problem would be is if you wanted to play the free trial on PC on that account (you would be not eligible since you bought the game on PS4)
I last played it when ARR first came out and had a 14 day trial. Is it more engaging and streamlined than when I first played it years ago?

I would assume yes, but I think I need excuses to pay $15 a month.
If you only played the 14 day trial, you don't need to pay $15/month yet. You can play the new free trial. Look at the post above this one for the changes.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm a total noob when it comes to MMORPG games. Most questions have been answered but there is stil one left.

Do you need to pay for PlayStation plus during and after the trial?

Also just to recap. The trial game is entirely free. You don't need to pay for the content or pay a monthly subscription as long as you don't buy...the game? And by the game, I guess the expansion since the base game is already free? If you want to buy more, what is advised to save money? Is there a bundle that has all the expansions?

Sorry, it turns out I still have more questions 🙏