• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is thus.

In WoW classes have:

* 3 Talent Specs, each with their own abilities
* Each Talent spec has its own set of options that change the class
* Legendaries & Armor Sets change your class
* PvP Talents change your class
* Whatever the expansion systems are to change your class, change your class. (artifacts, covenants, etc)

In FF14 classes have:

* The class. That's it. There's no customization at all.

There's no real right way here per se, it depends on what you want. Having choices is cool, albeit all those choices usually are is just things gating people figuring out the optimal min/max and then most people who are tryhard are running the same build anyways. If you're not tryhard being able to be "unique" is nice.

But the DPS disparity shows the downside of WoW's customization - there's almost always a massive disparity between the best DPS spec and the worst DPS spec. FF14 OTOH has a very tiny gap between the best and the worst, which means other than static progression raiding (where certain classes like Black Mage aren't favored because they need to know the fight intimately, but Red Mage is favored because they can spam insta res) you can basically play whatever and be completely viable and not feel bad about it.
I appreciate the explanation. Thanks.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
MV5BMjMzMTUwNzYwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzA4Nzc3MjE@._V1_.jpg

"M-O-O-N MOON BITCHES!"

They really gave Alisaie booty shorts though

I remember playing the base game of Realm Reborn, and almost every female that had a part in the story either had huge boobs or booty shorts, or sometimes both.

The game is pretty horny.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
TO THE MOON

THE TWINS

ANIMA

HARVEST MOON

This expansion is already everything 😭 this game keeps giving

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
the flipside is that there's no way to really customize your character at all. no talents, no endgame progression, no builds that can really diverge from what's already mathed out as best. WoW might have theoretical bests, but there are multiple ways you can build out a spec to change its playstyle while the jobs in XIV are pretty static

that's not necessarily a knock against XIV either, it's just their way of doing things and it works just fine
I mean that is true but i will say FFXIV is one of the most balanced games i have ever played where every class is so equally viable it is impressive.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Is this the last big expansion or is Endwalker just some other reference

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Endwalker is such an incredible name. And I don't even play FF14. The title alone is tempting me to jump in! lol.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The greatest game continues to get better. I fucking love this game and the dev team so much. Can't wait, a fall release will certainly feel different.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I can't put in words how excited I am to main the new healer. Amazing design and I like their new approach with the regen/shield groups.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Endwalker is such an incredible name. And I don't even play FF14. The title alone is tempting me to jump in! lol.
If you want to experience one of the best MMO with hands down the best job and combat system, then go for it. You won't regret it and there is a free version available, too.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

doooo iiiiiiiit. Generally, I don't get into MMOs, but 14 is something special. The base game and first expansion are also completely free now.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
No Xbox version announced left me sour.

As someome who became bitter about how shit SCH shields are, I figured they would be getting rid of it in favor of more damage reduction abilities, not doubling down by reworking astro again and specializing barrier vs regen healers.

At least my co healer is a ride or die whm, so I don't have to fight over playing Sage. I just pray to God that quad lazer attack is our equivalent of WHM nuke

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Just another reminder I need to get back to FFXIV.... I got to the beginning of Heavensward at the beginning of last year, but the 2.1-2.5 slog burned me out. Trailer music was a banger I will say though.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Looks cool, the trailer song definitely feels like it hits the right note for the end of a saga.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No Xbox version announced left me sour.

As someome who became bitter about how shit SCH shields are, I figured they would be getting rid of it in favor of more damage reduction abilities, not doubling down by reworking astro again and specializing barrier vs regen healers.

At least my co healer is a ride or die whm, so I don't have to fight over playing Sage. I just pray to God that quad lazer attack is our equivalent of WHM nuke

nothing wrong with sch shields. You have to gearfor sch though, you want those crits. But it'll be neat to see how sage compensates for lack of a pet. Sch is just too good with so many tools

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
The theme for this slaps like a motherfucker. Like, more than Shadowbringers. By a lot.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Sublime trailer. Holy fucking shit

I need that theme song right now

How the fuck did they outdo the Shadowbringers reveal trailer theme

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For those who didn't see it yet, here's Anima from FFX in FFXIV:

keE7hrI.jpg

Looks so good, they already had her original artist on the team

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I like Tomorrow and Tomorrow more than the Shadowbringers theme. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of Sokens guitar and bass tones.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm guessing they got Jason Charles Miller back for the theme of this expansion?

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
nothing wrong with sch shields. You have to gearfor sch though, you want those crits. But it'll be neat to see how sage compensates for lack of a pet. Sch is just too good with so many tools

My issue is the way the game discourages GCD use for healers who care about their output. With such specific damage encounters, all that's left for people like me is optimization because otherwise we just have a dot and a spell we spam and nothing to think about if we actually use our tools effectively. SCH shields are locked behind GCDs or sereph which requires clipping or ruin 2 to use effectively. Thus, I literally almost never cast either adlo/succ because between ranged dps damage down, tank party damage downs and reprisals and sacred soil/whm wings/ AST bubble, it's almost never necessary. Things like ifrit pushback aoe in ultimate are literally the only thing they are mandatory for.

All I care about is a meaningful playstyle change and pray to God there is more to sage than the expected heals equivalents of the other jobs. I let my expectations get ahead of me hoping for a mudra like chemist.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So this is really the Avengers:Endgame of Final Fantasy XIV. Even the logo looks like endgame and we will be in space too. :P

Can't wait for the "Everyone is here" scene.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking amazing. Dat grunge. I can't WAIT for the full version.

Seems like they're sticking with the Soken rock tunes for the foreseeable future rather than returning to Calloway/Uematsu days.

I doubt Uematsu will be back but they might still get Calloway for a song since there should be another main vocal theme if it's like Shadowbringers. And it'd make sense to start and end this main arc with the same singer.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My issue is the way the game discourages GCD use for healers who care about their output. With such specific damage encounters, all that's left for people like me is optimization because otherwise we just have a dot and a spell we spam and nothing to think about if we actually use our tools effectively. SCH shields are locked behind GCDs or sereph which requires clipping or ruin 2 to use effectively. Thus, I literally almost never cast either adlo/succ because between ranged dps damage down, tank party damage downs and reprisals and sacred soil/whm wings/ AST bubble, it's almost never necessary. Things like ifrit pushback aoe in ultimate are literally the only thing they are mandatory for.

All I care about is a meaningful playstyle change and pray to God there is more to sage than the expected heals equivalents of the other jobs. I let my expectations get ahead of me hoping for a mudra like chemist.

I like to get a garunteed crit Adlo on myself thenuse my cool down to spread it to the team instead of succor. Bigger shield. I don't know, I find sch much more entertaining to heal with than whm

Jul 24, 2018
I doubt Uematsu will be back but they might still get Calloway for a song since there should be another main vocal theme if it's like Shadowbringers. And it'd make sense to start and end this main arc with the same singer.
Amanda Achen-Keenan did the singing for Tomorrow and Tomorrow in Shadowbringers, I'd imagine they'd use her again as she was phenomenal in Shadowbringers.