• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
ffvfjf2016aorji.png

June 16 - August 31

Official website: http://fourjobfiesta.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures

The Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta (FJF) is an annual event organized by revenantkioku where people participate in a Final Fantasy V challenge run, with the aim of raising money for Child's Play. While charity pledges are the goal of the event, you can participate just to enjoy one of the more underrated Final Fantasy titles. The general gist of the challenge is simple, you are assigned four of the game's classes, and have to beat the game using only those classes. While the level of difficulty can vary greatly depending on the classes assigned, no combination is impossible. Not even four berserkers!

Joining in is easy, tweet #reg to the FJF Twitter account. While a Twitter account is required, most interactions can be handled through the FJF site. Other registration options and modes will be discussed later.

Having FFV experience is helpful, but there's nothing stopping you from making a FJF run your first playthrough of the game. There is a sizable community of players that will be glad to answer any questions and offer advice on how to tackle a challenge you might get stuck on. The Fiesta can even be useful for a FFV newcomer by preventing them from being overwhelmed by all the different jobs. Just be aware spoilers are going to be posted openly.

Any version of the game works fine, but the GBA and original SFC versions are recommended. Mobile/Steam is currently the most widely available version of the game, and features some balance adjustments that make some things easier or more difficult, on top of the widely criticized visual update. PS1 has a poor translation and loading times, but is otherwise identical to the SFC version.

The Run

Another component of the Fiesta is "The Run." Four experienced FFV players will race using community-voted jobs to kick off the FJF. By default you get one vote for a set of jobs, and by making charity pledge you can increase the weight of your vote. You can see the current votes here. Note the negatives are last year's jobs, which are significantly weighted to avoid repeats. Along with voting for jobs, there are other donation incentives for the runners to do extra challenges, ranging from playing each piano in the game to fighting the powerful optional superbosses.

The Run will be streamed on Twitch. Each of the runners will have their own streams, and revenantkioku will run a combined stream where you can follow all four runners as they race.

Commands

Aside from registration, these are the commands you use with the Twitter bot to progress and complete your run.

#wind - depreciated, as the wind job is now automatically unlocked upon registration.
#water - unlocks the water job
#fire - unlocks the fire job
#earth - unlocks the earth job

#victory - submits your victory, remember to include a screenshot or picture of the final boss dying.
#victoryOmega - optional victory submission for the superboss, remember to submit a picture.
#victoryShinryu - optional victory submission for the superboss, remember to submit a picture.

#void - In a Forbidden run, eliminates one of your assigned jobs.
#krile - In a Fifth Job run, replaces your Earth job with a new one.

#pledge - Pledge a donation to Child's Play
#myjobs - See your assigned jobs for the current run. You can also see them on the FJF site Players page.
#up - Log a comment to your Player page. Allows you to make commentary for your run.

Run Types

There are several different options you can choose from to select the type of run you want to do. Details for all of the below can be found here.

Normal - #reg
The standard Fiesta run. At each crystal you will be assigned one job gained from that crystal. Every job assigned must be used, and you can only use the jobs assigned.

So for example if your assigned jobs end up being Knight, Summoner, Ninja, and Dancer, you will start with four Knights after the Wind crystal, until the Water crystal. After the Water crystal you must have at least one Knight and one Summoner, with the other characters being your choice of Knight or Summoner. After the Fire crystal, you must have one Knight, one Summoner, and one Ninja, with the final job being any of the three. And after the Earth crystal, your party must consist of one of each of the assigned jobs at all times. You can freely swap your characters between these jobs and mix and match their abilities.

Normal is a great option for beginners because the rules are fairly straightforward, you are fairly likely to get a good set of jobs, and you won't have to deal with any of the exceptionally difficult or tedious challenges that can come from some other run types.

blindeyq9y.png
Random
- #regRand
A slightly different take on the standard rules. Instead of being assigned a job gained from a crystal, you can be assigned any currently available job, aside from duplicates. This means the Water crystal could assign a Wind or Water job. The Fire crystal could assign a Wind, Water, or Fire job. And the Earth crystal could assign any job. This significantly increases the possible job combinations and allows for some easier or harder combinations.

OPqnQNp.png
Chaos
- #regChaos
"Players will be assigned jobs." Chaos doesn't care what jobs are available, it assigns you whatever it wants. Every crystal can assign a job from any of the four crystals, whether it's available or not, even if it's a duplicate. If a job isn't available yet use what you can. If none of your assigned jobs are available, you have to use freelancer until an assigned job is available. This mode has the greatest potential to result in challenging combinations and isn't recommended for beginners.

purereror.gif
Pure Chaos
- #regPureChaos
A slight variation on the Chaos run that's even more chaotic. It features an even greater degree of randomness in job selection, and is the only run type that allows the Freelancer and Mime jobs to be assigned. Unlike Chaos, it doesn't allow duplicates. Like Chaos, this is a potentially more challenging run type and isn't recommended for beginners.

popularkmoye.png
Popular
- #regPopular
Another variation on Chaos. A poll was held and players voted on which jobs they preferred in an elimination bracket. Jobs are assigned as in Chaos mode, but weighted based on how they performed in the bracket. Less potential for especially challenging combinations than Chaos, but it's still there.

Winner - #regWinner
A brand new type of run for 2019. All we know so far is that it's a variation on Popular.

EAz0jLj.png
Advance
- #regAdvance
Another new type of run for 2019. This replaces last year's Forbidden mode, and allows for the GBA/Mobile/PC exclusive jobs to be assigned. Obviously don't select this mode if you are using the SFC or PS1 version of the game.

Run Modifiers

Normal, Random, and Chaos modes can be supplemented with modifiers that change which jobs can be assigned. These are done by appending the modifier to the run type.

750avq31.png
Team 750
- append 750 to the run type. Example: #regRand750
Named for the cost of magical rods, playing Team 750 mode means you will only get magical or similar themed jobs. Possible job assignments are:
Wind: Black Mage, White Mage, Blue Mage
Water: Summoner, Red Mage, Time Mage
Fire: Geomancer, Bard
Earth: Chemist, Dancer

no750n1q3l.png
Team No750
- append no750 to the run type. Example: #regChaosno750
The opposite of 750, you will be assigned more physical oriented type jobs. Possible job assignments are:
Wind: Monk, Knight, Thief
Water: Berserker, Mystic Knight
Fire: Ninja, Beastmaster, Ranger
Earth: Samurai, Dragoon

helmet73puo.png
Classic
- append FF1 to the run type. Example: #regFF1
Limits the job pool to jobs from the original Final Fantasy. Note that this type of run includes a built in Natural restriction (see below) and can assign duplicates. Chaos and Random are redundant with this modifier. Possible job assignments are:
Knight, Thief, Monk, Black Mage, White Mage, and Red Mage.

Run Restrictions

Run restrictions are an additional option you can combine with your run. They generally result in extra challenge by adding more limitations. These tend to be for more advanced and experienced players. Only one can be applied to a run (except Berserker Risk).

crystalrfofd.png
Natural
- #natural
Limits each character to just one job, so no mixing and matching abilities. Each character must remain a freelancer until their job is assigned and unlocked.
Bartz gets your Wind assignment
Lenna gets your Water assignment
Faris gets your Fire assignment
Galuf gets your Earth assignment

upgrade6aquc.png
Upgrade
- #upgrade
Limits your entire party to one job at a time. At your discretion, you "upgrade" to a new job and every character in the party must switch to the new job. You can use previously learned skills, but can't go back to a previous job. You can choose upgrade whenever you like, but it is expected you will upgrade through all four jobs by the end of the game.

fifthjobevrv1.png
Fifth Job
- #fifthjob
When Krile joins the party use the #krile command to be assigned a new Earth job based on your run type. The previous Earth job and its skills aren't allowed to be used from this point.

forbiddenuwoaj.png
Forbidden
- #forbidden
The other part of last year's Forbidden mode lives on here. When you enter the Void use the #void command, and you will lose one of your assigned jobs. That job and its abilities aren't allowed to be used, making the last leg of the game a Three Job Fiesta.

berfnom5.png
BERSERKER RISK - #berserkerRisk
This option is exclusively available during preregistration. A number of Berserkers is determined by the amount of donations received by the start of the FJF, and all of those Berserkers are handed out to Berserker Risk players. If there are more Berserkers than players, some players will be assigned multiple Berserkers. Berserker Risk can be combined with any run type, run modifier, and run restriction except Classic.

FAQ/Misc

Are any mods required for this?

No, FJF is intended to be played on a vanilla copy of FF5. Revenantkioku even discourages the use of emulators but doesn't enforce this as a rule.

Something isn't working right, who do I contact for support?
Best bet is to contact revenantkioku on Twitter if the bot or site isn't working as it should. He's not really active here anymore, and the subreddit and discord aren't really for support. If you just need gameplay help, feel free to post here.

I accidentally signed up for the wrong thing, can I change it?
As long as you haven't used any commands to progress with the FJF bot, you can tweet a different registration command to change your run type.

What needs to be in my victory picture?
The final boss takes several seconds to fade away, plenty of time to grab a screenshot or even a photo. The boss fade and your characters in their correct jobs need to be visible. This also applies to Omega. Shinryu fades immediately like a normal enemy and has the same appearance as a normal Crystal Dragon, so your best bet is to get a picture or screenshot of the ABP earning, that way your jobs are still visible and the 100ABP proves the battle was with Shinryu.

I don't like my jobs, can I do anything about it?
The spirit of the FJF is to work with what you are given, but the goal is for you to have fun, and to drive charity donations. One of the features of the FJF is the Job Fair, which allows you to "buy" a different job with a charitable donation. The cost ranges from $1 to $5 depending on the job.

How are the rules enforced?
This is an event done for fun to raise money for charity. Enforcement is based on trusting that you won't cheat. Likewise, if a character has a status that obscures their job in the victory submission like toad, it's generally trusted that you are in the correct job.

Can I do multiple runs?
You can follow up your first run with a second, third, and so on by submitting a new registration after your victory submission. Note that you must submit Omega and Shinryu submissions before you start a new run. However, you can only do one run at a time, so to do simultaneous runs you need a second Twitter account.

I don't get the title.
That's not a question. It's a reference to the brand new FFV mod Career Day and Project Demi. They aren't really related directly to the FJF, but it is a substantial mod that's likely to see a big following as more people discover it. Also Galuf taking Krile to work.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I decided to go for a Classic natural run this year. I could barely get through the game with standard rules, hoping natural will be more fun.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Ah. I still haven't beaten the game normally, and I see this thread every year like "better get on that".

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Fourth year for me, went random last year. This year it's chaos.

Watch me get Thief as my first job yet again

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting with a normal berserker risk run this year. Keeping it simple.

If anyone decides to record their run, I'm very curious in how it turns out.
I streamed my first run last year and finished at level 13. Unfortunately nobody watched lol. Still have the videos but haven't done anything with them.

Ah. I still haven't beaten the game normally, and I see this thread every year like "better get on that".
You can do it! Honestly the average normal fiesta run shouldn't be much harder than a normal playthrough. You just can't usually rely on brute force or some of the blatantly obvious solutions you don't have access to.

If you want to try and have a nearly guaranteed "easy" run, use random750. IMO that's the easiest possible run. Of the 750 jobs all but 3 are considered awesome and half can basically carry a whole team alone. Random substantially decreases the odds of getting those 3 so-so jobs since there is only one per crystal at water (red), fire (Geo), and Earth (dancer). But even those jobs can benefit the better jobs if you get them. Those three plus white mage are probably the hardest combo with that run but it's extremely unlikely and not even that bad.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting with a normal berserker risk run this year. Keeping it simple.

I streamed my first run last year and finished at level 13. Unfortunately nobody watched lol. Still have the videos but haven't done anything with them.

You can do it! Honestly the average normal fiesta run shouldn't be much harder than a normal playthrough. You just can't usually rely on brute force or some of the blatantly obvious solutions you don't have access to.

If you want to try and have a nearly guaranteed "easy" run, use random750. IMO that's the easiest possible run. Of the 750 jobs all but 3 are considered awesome and half can basically carry a whole team alone. Random substantially decreases the odds of getting those 3 so-so jobs since there is only one per crystal at water (red), fire (Geo), and Earth (dancer). But even those jobs can benefit the better jobs if you get them. Those three plus white mage are probably the hardest combo with that run but it's extremely unlikely and not even that bad.
Thanks! I might try and do it concurrently with my old save...

Are rods easy to come by, since we're gonna break them all over the place?

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! I might try and do it concurrently with my old save...

Are rods easy to come by, since we're gonna break them all over the place?
You can buy basic elemental rods in the 4th town, and it's easily accessible for a while after you reach it. Chances are you shouldn't need to break too many, just as likely you can use them for the intended purpose of boosting spell attack power. Time mage without any other magic is the biggest rod breaker since it doesn't get an offensive spell for a long time.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I did this five years ago, registered the four years after that and then never committed to play it.

This year is the year

Iride

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't taken part in several past FJFs due to busyness, but I'm jumping back in for this. Going to get back into the hang of things with a regular run. This is its tenth year, right?

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't taken part in several past FJFs due to busyness, but I'm jumping back in for this. Going to get back into the hang of things with a regular run. This is its tenth year, right?

My history page goes back to 2011, making this the 9th year of runs. (Unless there was one in 2010 that didn't get recorded.)

Kinda bummed this thread has gotten buried. I'm really looking forward to this again, FFV is such an amazing game.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
My history page goes back to 2011, making this the 9th year of runs. (Unless there was one in 2010 that didn't get recorded.)

Kinda bummed this thread has gotten buried. I'm really looking forward to this again, FFV is such an amazing game.

I think it goes back at least a few more years, before Gilgabot RK used to assign jobs manually. Then it got too big for that, plus it's more convenient for the players.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like there is less interest here than previous years. Might just have got lost in the E3 shuffle.

Anyway The Run is supposed to start tomorrow and the event starts once that finishes. Last opportunity for berserker risk registration.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Oh, it's tomorrow already?! Thanks, I've just pre-registreted. My run last year was ez mode so I'm hoping for some challenging jobs this year.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hopefully this thread picks up when the fiesta actually starts. I'm ready to share what meager advice I can give!

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
My first time was last year. Did a regular run and I want to mix things up a bit. Any recommendations?

If you've only done one, basically anything has a good chance of giving you new stuff, including just another regular run. But it kind of depends on what you want.

Did you have a really physical party last year? 750 will give you magic. Or vice versa with No750. If you are comfortable with FFV and don't mind the possibility of really grindy stuff like 4x white mages against Byblos, Chaos and its variants have the most possible job combinations but the greatest possibility for annoying stuff. Random has more possibilities than normal but not as many as Chaos, and isn't likely to give you any awkward combos. Popular is kind of inbetween due to wind and water jobs having so much weight due to so many being good, but still being based on Chaos-assignments.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll proooobably be pretty slow with progressing on this, but I went ahead and registered for a random run w/berserker risk. Should be fun.

JC Lately

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got my save outside of the wind shrine just after the first crystal shatters ready to go. Just need them to throw the switch.

#750 for life.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
First job for my Chaos run is Dragoon... well, I've never used Dragoon before.

I wanna participate in this. How is FFV on Android?
Haven't played the Android version hut I have played Steam which is a port of the Android version. It's generally ok, it uses the GBA translation and content (not super relevant for Fiesta, mind). It has redrawn graphics and while the enemy sprites are great the character sprites are really terrible. Very off putting to some.

Also has a few balance changes compared to GBA that probably aren't a huge deal. There's a post on the fiesta subreddit that lists the details if you're curious.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The balance changes make the modern version slightly more difficult on average. But it depends on the jobs, some got buffs and are better.

I did normal berserker risk to start this year. Got white mage, made it though Siren real quick last night but need to grind at the ship graveyard for Magissa after work. Already know water will be berserker.

Triangulate

Oct 27, 2017
The balance changes make the modern version slightly more difficult on average. But it depends on the jobs, some got buffs and are better.

I did normal berserker risk to start this year. Got white mage, made it though Siren real quick last night but need to grind at the ship graveyard for Magissa after work. Already know water will be berserker.
Traditionally my first run is always random berserker risk and I'm in the same boat as you. White mage/berserker, which I've probably had at least twice before, but white mage means an easy win so I'm good with it. I'll need to check if there are any jobs I haven't had in a Fiesta yet.

vic viper

Dec 27, 2017
Been doing this for the last several years as FFV is my fav game. Wind shrine down, first job up: Knight. Just doing a regular run this year.

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to go with a natural advance run. Not clear on what crystal the advance jobs would be assigned to. I also hope that they don't give you necromancer because that would suck.

JC Lately

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I got Black Mage. Well, at least the Ship graveyard will be a cake walk. Time to cast the spells that make the people fall down.

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished world 1. Doing a Pure Chaos with Berserker Risk + Fifth Job. My Jobs are Bard/Berserker/Knight/Freelancer. Had to do some grinding to Quadzerk Liquid Flame as well as to grind some AP to get 2-Hand for Byblos. Freelancer will give me some flexibility for world 2 but will be happy to change jobs once I get Krile.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny but as a pro with zerkers a lot of the super hard world 1 bosses aren't that bad with them but of course Sandworm can be such a pain in the ass. Sol Cannon is also very difficult especially at higher battle speeds where it gets two hits for every one you do and recharges so fast you basically need to beat it in two phases.

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny but as a pro with zerkers a lot of the super hard world 1 bosses aren't that bad with them but of course Sandworm can be such a pain in the ass. Sol Cannon is also very difficult especially at higher battle speeds where it gets two hits for every one you do and recharges so fast you basically need to beat it in two phases.

2 years ago I had to quadzerk Sandworm. Had to grind to level 39 just to win. Definitely was the least fun fight I have ever done during a fest. The rest of that run was a joke, especially as I had 2 chemists on that team. Berserkers do pretty well except against those bosses that use gravity attacks. It ends up being a RNG battle to see who can kill the other faster.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished world 1. Doing a Pure Chaos with Berserker Risk + Fifth Job. My Jobs are Bard/Berserker/Knight/Freelancer. Had to do some grinding to Quadzerk Liquid Flame as well as to grind some AP to get 2-Hand for Byblos. Freelancer will give me some flexibility for world 2 but will be happy to change jobs once I get Krile.

In b4 you replace freelancer with mime lol. But honestly it almost doesn't matter what it is because Knight and berserker have such good synergy and Bard makes everything better.

Freelancer would be great for that combo since you can use two handed plus have Bard + berserker stats. Rune axe would wreck stuff.

revenantkioku

Nov 4, 2017
Yup. First GAF thread was 2009. Red Scarlet and I did the original thing that became the fiesta in... 2006?
Time sure has passed.

OP
OP
Chaosblade

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
While the white mages were grinding for experience, I managed to get a 3x dagger drop from a 3x skeleton encounter. Rare!

Magissa is a slog. Keep her silenced and she can't really do anything while you smack her around with the flail. Only threat is aero which deals middling damage you can easily recover from. Plus it keeps Regen off Forza which is a bonus.

Garula is equally sloggy. Just swing the flail, defend, and heal.

Water job is, unsurprisingly, Berserker.

First white mage cheese: Liquid Flame. Confuse it! Went in with two white mages and two berserkers. White mage confuses it. Berserker hits it which knocks it out of confusion, but it doesn't counter or change form. Next white mage confuses it. Next berserker hits it. Rinse, repeat, easy. Get your drop of choice!

Fire job is Ninja. Nice.

Oct 27, 2017
In b4 you replace freelancer with mime lol. But honestly it almost doesn't matter what it is because Knight and berserker have such good synergy and Bard makes everything better.

Freelancer would be great for that combo since you can use two handed plus have Bard + berserker stats. Rune axe would wreck stuff.
Ended up getting Monk. I'd much rather have Freelancer. Monk doesn't really add much to my team. Just started World 3. Don't anticipate too much trouble for the rest of the run.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Been slow out of the gate so just got Water job, which in my chaos run is Dancer. So far it's DRG/DNC/???/???

Got the horrible feeling that Fire will give me Berserker :(

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I have a lot on my plate right now so I won't be starting this for a while but I really do look forward to it.
I first did it last year and it was a great time. This time I'll be doing a run of the gba version with the forbidden option. Should be fun.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Blue, Time and Ninja so far. If I don't actually complete this for once, then I don't know what the hell is wrong with me

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Got Ranger as my third job, very physical party this year it seems. !Rapidfire is nice though.

Oct 27, 2017
hsbQjfol.png

Won on my first try. My Knight/Bard/Monk/Beserker party was lv 35. It's definitely hard to kill all parts around the same time with a Berserker so I ate a Meteor at the end of the fight. Overall was pretty easy with my party.

Omega was also really easy with this party. Everyone excpet my berserker used Romeo's Ballad while Faris used the Rune Axe to hit around 3000. Now just Shinryu left. Not sure the best way to approach the fight. This is my first time attempting it without a berserk source.

JC Lately

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Garula would be pretty easy with all black mage's... it was not. Finally had to break my one ice rod to out-pace his damage.

Water job is Time Mage. Not to spectacular yet, but will be OP soon enough. Plus now I finally have a party member that can use the heal staff. Cause the potions just ain't cutting it.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I try every year and I have yet to beat it... this is my year, I can feel it!

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Rolled Chemist for earth, because my Ninja, Blue and Time Mage team wasn't already powerful enough... but I'm also doing #fifthjob, so I'm gonna cry when Krile comes around