• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Comicbook.com is fucking atrocious at this and every articles for you thing in existence is at least 80% that site and it's completely worthless garbage.

I feel bad if you need like 40 articles a day for your boss but I'm not surprised its WAY in the lead

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
The person saying it's targeting those trashy clickbait sites like screenrant because of an agenda and not because they're the worst lol

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Eh.

These two seem like more of a the Twitter handle trying to be witty instead of preventing clickbait, since those two titles did not seem clickbaity at all.
The first one is classic stupid clickbaity BS and I've been bitching about this very specific thing for years now. You see it all the time, an interviewer will ask, "would you like to work with X?" and then actor will obviously say yes so they run an article, "X says they want to work with Y!".

I can't recall who, it was either Chris Evans or Anthony Mackie, call this out in an interview. They got asked yet another bait question to make a dumbass article and then they brought up that that had happened before and people made articles where it said something like, "CHRIS EVANS/ANTHONY MACKIE WANTS X" and in actually he was just being nice so he said he didn't want to answer the question he had gotten asked.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh.

These two seem like more of a the Twitter handle trying to be witty instead of preventing clickbait, since those two titles did not seem clickbaity at all.
The first tweet maybe not that stupid, but for the second one, a good headline should immediately give you some idea as to what that idea entails.

But for both of them, content wise, it's really fucking nothing.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
The first one is classic stupid clickbaity BS and I've been bitching about this very specific thing for years now. You see it all the time, an interviewer will ask, "would you like to work with X?" and then actor will obviously say yes so they run an article, "X says they want to work with Y!".

I can't recall who, it was either Chris Evans or Anthony Mackie, call this out in an interview. They got asked yet another bait question to make a dumbass article and then they brought up that that had happened before and people made articles where it said something like, "CHRIS EVANS/ANTHONY MACKIE WANTS X" and in actually he was just being nice so he said he didn't want to answer the question he had gotten asked.

Well yes if say they ask Keanu Reeves (just an example) if they want to work in Halloween and he said that would be great and then the article say "KEANU REEVES TO WORK IN THE UPCOMING HALLOWEEN MOVIE" then yes it would be clickbait. But saying that the original actor of Mike Myers would be up for a role in Halloween sequel just don't seem to be clickbaity to me?

The first tweet maybe not that stupid, but for the second one, a good headline should immediately give you some idea as to what that idea entails.

Didn't say that it was a good headline, just that it's not really a clickbait to me. A clickbait would be something like, say, QUIET PLACE SEQUEL CONFIRMED while all the article talked about was Blunt's discussing ideas with her husband.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I have to come clean—I'm running the account. My name? Richard Kelly. This is revenge for dogging Southland Tales, you jerks.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Well yes if say they ask Keanu Reeves (just an example) if they want to work in Halloween and he said that would be great and then the article say "KEANU REEVES TO WORK IN THE UPCOMING HALLOWEEN MOVIE" then yes it would be clickbait. But saying that the original actor of Mike Myers would be up for a role in Halloween sequel just don't seem to be clickbaity to me?
Your example is a straight up lie while clickbait is usually just hiding the information in the article, or with that first example, trying to make a story out of nothing.

Again, these are some of the most regurgitated articles around. How many times have you said, "actor says they want to work with X" or whatever? ANd it's always the same thing, and interviewer will ask them if they want to, and they'll just say yes. There's no story there, there's nothing interesting. Now if the actor was actively pitching a project or something then that "wants" actually has some substance but that's never the case, it's always pointless and clickbaity.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I follow quite a few Disney pages mainly related to theme park news etc

Saw an article promoted by one recently 'Everything we know so far about Frozen 2'

The actual content of the article amounted to pretty much 'we actually know nothing about Frozen 2'

Reminds me of a blog I follow called "What's on Netflix". It was initially helpful finding out what was being added to Netflix but now 90 percent of the articles are just "Is (Random Movie) on Netflix?" Or "When will (New Movie) be on Netflix?" Both start out with a paragraph of describing the movie ala Wikipedia, then drags it out as they answer over several sentences. In a lot of cases it's just a big "no it's not"

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I just followed them. Articles that resort to clickbait titles are often lazy and don't really say anything. Don't know why anybody would support sites that are built to waste people's time like that.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I also just followed that account. Well worth it even if I'm not all that into new films.

I'm all for cutting through the constant clickbait out there.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish more companies would just tweet out stuff like this directly so we didn't need articles at all

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Reminds me of a blog I follow called "What's on Netflix". It was initially helpful finding out what was being added to Netflix but now 90 percent of the articles are just "Is (Random Movie) on Netflix?" Or "When will (New Movie) be on Netflix?" Both start out with a paragraph of describing the movie ala Wikipedia, then drags it out as they answer over several sentences. In a lot of cases it's just a big "no it's not"

It's all SEO content, basically. Same with recipe websites and their paragraphs of story they tell before you get to what you want. It's all SEO for ads and money.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, it just cracks me up when these people in the OP complain on Twitter about the FilmClickbait account, when NOBODY IS GOING TO SUPPORT THEM on it. Everybody hates clickbait. If you're looking for sympathy, you won't find it with anybody but those who also utilize clickbait.

EloNoolah

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus H. Christ @ the tweets in OP from the clickbait purveyors themselves acting like the person running the account is committing some kind of high-level felony by calling them on their bullshit.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
This Twitter account just earned a follow for this. Hate clickbait titles on these big websites. If they're mad about someone blocking their bad practices then tough luck on them.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Gonna follow this account ASAP.

Listicles and clickbait titles with little to no content are the bane of my existence.
This will save me hella time.
Listicles that are slideshows......theres a special level of hell for people who publish those.

Also never heard of saved you a click, so following that too.

Bond

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
FilmClickBait makes me so happy to run a website that doesn't release articles about mindless rumours and trailer announcements. Keep it up! Definitely one of the better accounts to follow on Twitter.

Oct 27, 2017
Any Journalist who thinks clickbait is a legitimate reporting tool should hand their press pass in at the earliest opportunity.

And that includes you, Manabyte. Clickbait will be the death of the industry.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
This is so hilariously stupid. I love it.

They're targeting specific sites! They just happen to be the larger sites that happen to post a lot of Click Bait... lol

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Gosh, spoilers much? Clickbait sustains me. I love watching a ten minute video only to find out they actually don't know shit around 8 minutes in. Masterful suspense!

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I don't follow FilmClickbait but I see the tweets on my timeline from being RTed by others. Going to the actual full timeline and seeing all the bullshit is just depressing. Can these sites really not do better than writing an "article" about a celebrity posting a photo of a script's cover page?

Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow FilmClickbait but I see the tweets on my timeline from being RTed by others. Going to the actual full timeline and seeing all the bullshit is just depressing. Can these sites really not do better than writing an "article" about a celebrity posting a photo of a script's cover page?
No, they can't do better because they don't employ real journalists.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This is great and the original Twitter account (both saved you a click and this one) are heroes.

It's like ... websites get mad that someone gives people what they want. If you're capable of stomaching going through dozens of ad-laden horribly written articles in exchange for getting a lot of twitter followers, there's such an audience for this... Sports, movies, politics, products, anything.

This kinda goes back to my point that even if you block ads on the internet, even with the most effective adblockers on earth, you're still being punished by the shitty advertising model because the amount of shit content has overwhelmed everything else.