• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

snapcracken

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone remember that Saved You A Click twitter account that got a really high profile at one point? Where basically the dude running it would find clickbait, and then tweet the answer/reveal so you don't have to actually click the link? Well, someone made one focused on movie news called FilmClickbait that did pretty much the same thing, but for movie news.

A day ago, that account tweeted out this tweet:

The author of that article saw this tweet and got very angry:

image.png

I guess he was angry that twitter is stealing clicks away from his blog post about a twitter rumor about a trailer release date? Anyways, this led to someone else creating a conspiracy theory that the person running the twitter actually works at a competing news site and is trying to do it to smear the clickbaity competing news sites.

And now others have jumped on this bandwagon because something something how dare anyone make fun of me for the clickbait I made:

For what it's worth, the original account is taking this nonsense in stride:

What say you, Era? Is this just a cruel joke or is it really about ethics in comic book movie twitter rumor clickbait?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Everything is a conspiracy now-a-days except for the actual blatant conspiracy playing out.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they should try writing actual headlines instead of clickbait garbage, then FilmClickbait wouldn't need to come after them.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
The alleged targeted sites are mostly clickbait though.

Not to mention how gross they were during Stan lee's death. Making lists before the body was even cold.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Even their accusations are clickbait. Btw, saved you a click guy is pretty funny.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol. The things people get angry about. If you don't want to be labeled as clickbait, dont fucking do clickbait articles.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I like the account's response because the tweet that was showing which websites had been most impacted by the actions of the Twitter account seemed totally oblivious to the fact that not every website has the same editorial standards. It's like saying firefighters suspiciously focus on the houses that are burning and ignore everyone else, so they must have a hidden intent.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I get it, it's tough to pump out an article that will drive people to actually read it when the pertinent information they actually care about fits comfortably in a tweet but taking multiple shots at the same tweet is like shitting your pants in anger.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I must have clicked one too many avengers articles because my Google now feed had a new bullshit secrets revealed from CBR on it every other day it felt like for months. On the 10th not interested Google finally got the message. What trash content

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Fact: It saved me a click

Another fact: I remember now I used to follow them but after a while it starting feeling petty and malicious

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's especially sad that these angry, vindictive film bloggers think doxxing this guy will somehow make people stop following the account. Nobody cares who's running the account. Doxxing him and trying to destroy his life won't suddenly make us visit your shitty website.

Scrobbles

Oct 25, 2017
I've been following this account for months now and I cannot believe all of the clickbait bullshit that is constantly vomited out

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
Haha of course it's Mana and DanielR, they will throw any theory at the wall and claim they were right when one sticks. They will never own up to what they get wrong though.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
CBR's current headlines
Kid Loki is the Recipe for the MCU Disney+ Show's Success
Marvel Comics Should Adopt Miles Morales' Into the Spider-Verse Costume
Gotham Ends the Batman Mythos' Biggest Debate (spoiler clickbait)
Captain Marvel is the Most Important MCU Film since Iron Man
Here's When Dragon Prince Season 2 Arrives on Netflix (clickbait on a widely distributed date)
Mark Millar Reveals Original Fate of Merlin in Kingsman: The Golden Circle (clickbait on a public Mark Millar tweet)
Punisher: Fan Artist Imagines a More Comics-Accurat Jigsaw
20 Cancelled MCU Twists That Could've Changed Everything (clickbait listicle)
Godzilla: The Planet Eater's True Villain Isn't Who You Think (spoiler clickbait)
Report: Penguin Will Be The Batman's Villain
Hobbs & Shaw Photo Prepares Johnson, Stathamand Elba for Epic Showdown
20 Powerful Female Marvel Characters We Hope To See In The MCU's Phase Four (clickbait listicle)
Storm Has New Powers in Dark Phoenix (clickbait aggregation of reporting by comicbook.com)
Aquaman Tops The Dark Knight, Crosses $1 Billion at Box Office
The 20 Most Glaring Mistakes in the MCU (That Marvel Fanboys Totally Missed) (clickbait listicle)
Doctor Who Episode Scripts Available Online for Free
Deadpool 2 Star Reportedly Has Secret Role in Detective Pikachu (clickbait aggregation on reporting by rival rumormill revenge of the fans)
RUMOR: Black Widow May Be First R-Rated Marvel Studios Film
Aquaman: Watch the Stunning End Title Sequence to the Film
The Punisher: 10 Things We Hope To See In Season 2 (And 10 We Don't Need) (clickbait listicle)

That's 50% of their top 20 headlines all one variant of low-effort clickbait content regurgitation.

No need for a conspiracy theory, that's just basic pattern recognition.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Team Saved You a Click

If your site has to resort to bullshit vague headlines and shit to get people to look at your "content" then your site has a problem.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lmao at the guy just raging at the same tweet over and over.

Let my get my tiny violin to play for shitbag clickbaiters.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
My Google feed kept showing me stories from these comic sites. Every fucking article was such clickbait BS that I blocked them.

Good for this Twitter account.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Oct 25, 2017
If you know where to find casting calls and toy manufacturer solicitations (takes ten seconds of Googling, after which you can just add it to your book marks and check back daily), you too can start a blog and make believe you're a film journalist, collecting that sweet ad revenue from a bunch of a half-assed clickbait headlines.

You could outsource the shit to a fucking robot.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Other than Screenrant being number 3, it checks out. Screenrant has a 5 to 1 bullshit ratio

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
Comicbook reporting, especially comicbook adaptation reporting, is objectively the worst kind of reporting. That it manages to be worse than videogame reporting is an epic feat.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I like commenters that do this on fB stories (where there is one webpage per item and you have to scroll through 50 webpages to get that top 50 list), so someone will just post the entire list so you don't have to click 50 times

OP
OP
snapcracken

snapcracken

Oct 25, 2017
It's worth noting that The Verge editor-in-chief complained about Save You A Click back in 2014, which became a minor meme.
nilay patel is such a fuckin clown

remember when he got in a twitter fight with some rando because that rando thought the apple watch wasn't very stylish or some shit

and when the other two founders of The Verge left he turned it into heavy clickbait and (iirc) got into twitter fights with those who complained about it?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for this. If you don't want people to make fun of your clickbait then don't use it.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm on the side of death to clickbait, so kudos to these twitter accounts that work against it.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
lol at that report. Anyone who follows those four sites knows they're 100% clickbait, most of the times there's not even an story behind the articles.

Heroic Hollywood last week run like 5 or 6 articles based on THE SAME KEVIN FEIGE INTERVIEW, which lasted a whooping length of 2 MINUTES. Literally an article per sentence, just terrible. And that's just an example, those four sites have the fucking guts to have stories like "Here's the new look of this character X!" and then post a DeviantArt photo.

They deserve someone like FilmClickbait

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Writing an article for the release date of something is absolutely stupid and shouldn't be taken serious.

Why the fuck do I need to read your article that a trailer comes out on January 15th.

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I googled Infinity War one too many times and Google just keeps suggesting bullshit articles from CBR and the like.

Some really clickbaity stuff and really low effort posts on top on posting every MCU Endgame theory under the sun.

So no I don't feel bad here.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good account. Fuck those sites. And those people being mad in the OP are some of the nost annoying twitter personalities regarding comicbook movie reporting so yeah... I'm on the side of the account that trashes clickbait.

Oct 28, 2017
I mean it's exposing public knowledge and not exclusive stuff right? Like the release date was shown everywhere. If it's just that, these complaining sites can piss off.

Now if they are stealing clicks for exclusive pieces, then yes I'd be more sympathetic.