• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
T8 with properly implemented roll back is my wet dream.

I dropped SFV season 1, couldn't play my buddy a few towns over without insufferable jitter.

Played KI, it was heaven. Unfortunately, he was not fond of KI.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Another video about the crazyness of games more than 10 years ago having much complete packages than now. Doesn't talk much about the netcode, but as he explains, he shows that Japanese FG devs often just don't look what the other FGs do and try to improve the whole genre. They work in a bubble.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Did you read the rest of my post?

And nobody is defending it. Every topic on rollback has people like you steamrolling in to talk about how bad sfv netcode is as if we don't all already know and acknowledge over and over that we are talking about PROPERLY IMPLEMENTED ROLLBACK NETCODE and therefore, not Street Fighter V.

Have you actually watched the video or read the article? Or even read the thread that you're posting in?

Yes I have, but it's already explaining to the FGC what we know while every major gaming news websites just review Fighting Games and barely give news to them. Kotaku broke new grounds by making an article about Fighting games and the importance of rollback netcode. But have you seen their coverage for GG Strive or from IGN, Gamespot and Polygon? It's depressing and this is true for many other fighting games with Street Fighter V ever getting any form of coverage but it's atrocious netcode is never mentioned other than being good in reviews.

SFV is the poster child of fighting games. It should be introducing people to the fighting game genre but it failed in both offline and in online content and giving a poor example of what Rollback netcode is thus people will loose interes. Those who play for the offline content, play for a while stops and only play it again when they bring friends over.

Journalist needs to pick up on this and address the issues that fighting games are currently facing. They need to call out Japanese developers and call out Capcom and Ono about their supposed fixed of their "netcode". They don't have to be experts in the FGC, just acknowledge that Guilty Gear Strive exist with news and the controversy it's been getting.

Oct 26, 2017

I came across one of Maximillian's videos on KI's netcode in particular from six years ago.

So this isn't something that people have just begun to talk about recently but it's been talked about since the beginning of this gen.

I like that he mentions that rollback is a true next gen feature (talking about Xbox One/PS4 in 2013) and yet we're on the cusp of a new generation with so many games, some that are still going to be using delay based netcode despite the online being the place where a majority of people will likely spend their time.

I haven't played KI myself since the N64 days so I'm interested in trying out it's online to see for myself because these explanations of the benefits have me convinced.

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I came across one of Maximillian's videos on KI's netcode in particular from six years ago.

Doesn't get much more depressing than this. I forgot having actually watched that video all those years ago, and realizing that not a lot has changed since then...

Regarding KI, I'm also trying to get into it right now. Not gonna lie, stepping into it was a bit overwhelming to me, with all that linker, starter, combo breaker stuff, but slowly the pieces are starting to fall into place.

Don't get discouraged and keep doing the tutorials, it will start making sense sooner or later :P

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
We need more articles like that ah ah ah

"Many other modern fighters have gone down this same route of accessibility by removing complicated inputs and including an auto-combo, but also by stubbornly sticking to a shoddy delay based net-code, neglecting basic features like a rematch button, or creating a cumbersome hub world to navigate the online modes.

While details are sparse for now, we look forward to what exactly these changes turn out to be. Regardless, the simplified game play will undoubtedly pull new players into the series just briefly enough for the surely mediocre net-play to push them back out."

NippyKindLangur-size_restricted.gif

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
We need more articles like that ah ah ah

"Many other modern fighters have gone down this same route of accessibility by removing complicated inputs and including an auto-combo, but also by stubbornly sticking to a shoddy delay based net-code, neglecting basic features like a rematch button, or creating a cumbersome hub world to navigate the online modes.

While details are sparse for now, we look forward to what exactly these changes turn out to be. Regardless, the simplified game play will undoubtedly pull new players into the series just briefly enough for the surely mediocre net-play to push them back out."

NippyKindLangur-size_restricted.gif
Funny, that site is satire yet that 'article' is absolutely spot on. Weird how that works...

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
MikeZ just posted a whole new article about rollback netcode on his blog: https://mikezsez.blogspot.com/2019/11/lets-talk-about-rollbacks.html?m=1

I haven't read it yet, but since this comes from the main programmer of Skullgirls (for those who don't know) it should be thread worthy to say the least.

Gotta grab some breakfast and start reading! If someone wants to make a thread out of it to keep spreading that GGPO love, please be my guest.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I mean, at this point it's just circle jerking if none of these articles get translated into Japanese and make it to the hands and eyes of the people that really matters

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're going to have to make them care by not buying their game and shitting on them for it as much as possible.

Keits

Designer at Iron Galaxy Studios
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Orlando, FL

It is absolutely true. I look at things on a 2-way scale on which one end is the abstract idea of "Fun" and the other end is the very measurable "Frustration". Once frustration overtakes fun, people stop playing. It doesn't matter what the source of that frustration is. If the game is the most fun they've ever had but the online is so frustrating that it gives them that odd feeling that they aren't even sure they want to boot the game up to play today, they *will* quit in a short matter of time.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
This might be a controversial opinion, but this might be a rare scenario where the GaaS model is a positive factor in pushing Japanese fighting game developers into improving their netcode. The traditional way of selling fighting games as complete packages with unlockable costumes, colors, etc didn't provide developers much incentive to go beyond the delay-based netcode they've been using for years. Sure the game's netcode might be garbage, but by the time a player figured that out, the developers/publishers got that player's $60.

As fighting games move towards season passes and micro-transactions, developers will need to keep players engaged and playing to want to fork over additional money for costumes, stages, etc. As online play is the bread & butter for the community of long-term players, it becomes developer/publisher financial interest to get that netcode as a smooth as an experience as possible.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
It is absolutely true. I look at things on a 2-way scale on which one end is the abstract idea of "Fun" and the other end is the very measurable "Frustration". Once frustration overtakes fun, people stop playing. It doesn't matter what the source of that frustration is. If the game is the most fun they've ever had but the online is so frustrating that it gives them that odd feeling that they aren't even sure they want to boot the game up to play today, they *will* quit in a short matter of time.
I can very distinctly remember the moment when I chose to let my Xbox Live subscription expire. It came during a session of online UMvC3, when I realized that I was raging way more than usual even during matches that I still won, simply because my characters' BnBs weren't even reliable online. It's my favorite game of the decade but there's no way I would've kept playing were it not for its offline scene.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
So there's something very wrong with my friend's internet - much of it I'm sure, has to do with him using his landlord's connection via wifi...but anyway, we tried playing KOF2002UM and we're getting over 400 ping between us which is absurd since we both live on the same tiny island in the Caribbean. Anyway, that game runs entirely in slow motion as a result. It has delay-based netcode. Shit experience all round.

Just to confirm my suspicion, I gifted him a copy of SamSho V Special - a game with rollback netplay. We just spent an hour or so playing with very minor and rare hiccups. It was extremely smooth.

I dunno what more needs to be said.

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Did SNK do the port for SamSho V Special or was it done by another team? Wondering why they don't seem to be going to rollback for their new releases?

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
Another video about the crazyness of games more than 10 years ago having much complete packages than now. Doesn't talk much about the netcode, but as he explains, he shows that Japanese FG devs often just don't look what the other FGs do and try to improve the whole genre. They work in a bubble.

I think it's honestly a really disturbing trend on how Fighting Games will pop up with notable useful features only for other fighting games to just not have them. Under Night In-Birth and Skullgirls both have massive in depth tutorials, GGPO in general in nearly all western games, and even just having Button Configuration on the character select screen are all things that have been done already yet have not been standard in all fighting games.

Oct 25, 2017
Skullgirls had it all apart from the VF Quest singleplayer mode and you bitches didn't play it

KI Season 1 same thing. And then they patched in a quest made on in s3- bitches didn't play it

New002

Oct 25, 2017

Spot on.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
I bought in to the simple but fun game, Fantasy Strike, and it is amazing how many things it does right.
I've been matched against people with a variable ping (250ms ~ 300ms) and it is still playable with these terrible connections, it's just incredible.

I have the Switch version and it feels amazing to be able to pick up the game, quickly match against someone, play a few matches and put the console to sleep.
I can later come back and start over almost seamlessly without wasting any time on loading menus or "connecting to server" nonsense.
Companies like Arcsys have no excuse to produce experiences that are anything less in quality compare to this indie game.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
How ironic, people shit on Capcom fighting games for years but they're the only ones (from Japan) doing the one thing people want the most.

Capcom should licence Kagamusha out.
Unfortunately, because of SFV and its popularity, Capcom is also responsible for the bad reputation of rollback among the uninformed. That is the tragic thing.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
How ironic, people shit on Capcom fighting games for years but they're the only ones (from Japan) doing the one thing people want the most.

Capcom should licence Kagamusha out.
They shouldn't be commended for a terrible implementation of rollback, that how now poisoned the well for years.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
They shouldn't be commended for a terrible implementation of rollback, that how now poisoned the well for years.
I think he means the actually good version in MvCI. But yeah, the state Kagemusha was in for SFV did quite a bit of damage to the reputation of rollback netcode for those who weren't in the know.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Unfortunately, because of SFV and its popularity, Capcom is also responsible for the bad reputation of rollback among the uninformed. That is the tragic thing.

shrugged

stupid people will continue to be stupid, just chuck them in the same pile as the ones fueling scrubquote tweets

edit: this is Capcom's Long con, to make it so that other companies won't use rollback and they're the only ones with it XD

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Just a small update on the video:

As of today, it is completely translated into Japanese by enabling the corresponding captions on YouTube, so please spread this stuff around the usual social media places. At the very least, no devs should have the excuse or not knowing what rollback netcode is anymore, even if they decide against implementing it.