• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely wondering who was asking for this. It seemed like nobody played the last release of this game.

Oct 26, 2017
In this update/new version, some of the techniques that were restricted to the Gougi system are now universal mechanics. Stuff like the homing jump, and the combo breaker are now universal mechanics, instead of mechanics you can only use when using certain Gougi decks.

I'm interested! ARIKA also developed rollback netcode for Fighting EX Layer, so maybe the Switch version will have it too? I'd be interested in hearing if the other versions get this update as well.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's the game they have. They can either release this or nothing at all.

Hey I ain't knocking their decision if that's the only hand they have to play right now. Its just I never hear anyone talking about Fighting Layer in the same way games like Street Fighter, Tekken or Guilty Gear retain a long term audience.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Last edited:

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Curious if they managed to snag a Street Fighter character as a guest since they did those new FEXL costumes for SFV. It'd be wild if we got Ryu vs. Terry again in FEXL of all places.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
FEXL is a ton of fun. This revision is Switch only, though? I wonder why they didn't just post the existing version.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I'm interested! ARIKA also developed rollback netcode for Fighting EX Layer, so maybe the Switch version will have it too? I'd be interested in hearing if the other versions get this update as well.

I remember Samurai Shodown v porting devs saying that Switch had some hardware limitations for full rollback netcode compared to pc and desktop consoles. Fighting Layer is a more demanding game too.

Lets see

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
So bought. This is an amazing fighter, and it's going to be nice having it on the go.

Online WILL be dead, let's all accept that.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Hey I ain't knocking their decision if that's the only hand they have to play right now. Its just I never hear anyone talking about Fighting Layer in the same way games like Street Fighter, Tekken or Guilty Gear retain a long term audience.
They're a small developer with next to no marketing budget. They have nowhere near the amount of resources those other franchises have. Shit's hard out there.

It's actually a pretty fun game.

Oct 26, 2017
They're a small developer with next to no marketing budget. They have nowhere near the amount of resources those other franchises have. Shit's hard out there.

It's actually a pretty fun game.
You'd think Nintendo would happily put it in the Direct no strings attached as they've been a close partner for over a decade and made two F2P NSO games (Tetris 99 and SMB 35).

Oct 26, 2017
I remember Samurai Shodown v porting devs saying that Switch had some hardware limitations for full rollback netcode compared to pc and desktop consoles. Fighting Layer is a more demanding game too.

Lets see

I'm pretty certain that the Power Rangers fighting game has rollback netcode, and crossplay between every other version. I can see this new version of Fighting EX Layer having rollback netcode.

Oct 26, 2017
Arms was made natively and solely for Switch, by Nintendo, using their own tech, with infinitely more money and people.

Arika said on stream that they only started this port a month ago, and they intend to have it out by April Fools Day.
How on Earth can they do the port in only like... 4 months!?

Also according to Gematsu, it's when MORE INFO is released, so are you mistaken?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Arms was made natively and solely for Switch, by Nintendo, using their own tech, with infinitely more money and people.

Arika said on stream that they only started this port a month ago, and they intend to have it out by April Fools Day.
Power Rangers and several indie fighters have rollback too. It doesn't seem like a real herculean task to manage it on Switch, even if Digital Eclipse couldn't while emulating NeoGeo games.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Lets see
This isn't even the normal Fighting Ex Layer. This is like a scaled down variation rather than a port.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Power Rangers and several indie fighters have rollback too. It doesn't seem like a real herculean task to manage it on Switch, even if Digital Eclipse couldn't while emulating NeoGeo games.

Most of those games were developed with netcode in mind--FEXL wasn't, and adapting rollback for a game designed without it has its own challenges.

Again, this is a super-quick port, too. They really should wait until the rollback's done until they launch, but that's on them.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't even the normal Fighting Ex Layer. This is like a scaled down variation rather than a port.
A scaled down variation is what a port would be.

This sounds more like something made specifically for the Switch

Arika has announced Fighting EX Layer: Another Dash for Switch. It will launch in 2021.

Fighting EX Layer: Another Dash is a separate title from Fighting EX Layer.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Not any weirder than Ryu vs. Terry happening again in Smash Ultimate.
Heh, I completely forgot both were in that. It looks like there's no Capcom copyright in the trailer for this anyway, so it's looking like no SF guest. SNK is still listed, though I wonder if Terry will be part of the base game this time or still DLC.

Oct 26, 2017

It looks the game will have delay based netcode at first, but then will upgrade to rollback later. As I said earlier, I'd be interested in seeing if the other versions of FEXL get this update, or if it will just be Switch exclusive. It'd be a bit weird for this version to have all these gameplay updates, but not any of the other versions.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Most of those games were developed with netcode in mind--FEXL wasn't, and adapting rollback for a game designed without it has its own challenges.

Again, this is a super-quick port, too. They really should wait until the rollback's done until they launch, but that's on them.
No it was added for Power Rangers (as was full crossplay). I dunno if Arika will have it or not (or maybe later) I'm just speaking to Switch's suitability at doing rollback. A Unity game like Power Rangers did it, 1st party arena fighter Arms did it, multiple indie games have too (Skullgirls 2E, Fantasy Strike, Pocket Rumble, etc) and coincidentally so did a big UE4 multiplat with MK11. There doesn't appear to be an insurmountable technical hurdle to implementing rollback on Switch given the range of titles that already have.

edit: appears it'll launch with delay based and then update to rollback. Good news then!

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
A Switch-specific version of FEXL with gameplay and network improvements? This is a pleasant surprise!

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Neat. Will keep an eye on this to see if it's any good. If it can manage to hold a steady 60fps I'll probably grab it.

It'll be a steady 60fps. It would completely defeat the point otherwise. No other genre is dependant on keyframes and framing timing as a fighting game and every single major fighting game on the Switch has always hit 60FPS. This includes DBFZ, Blazblue Cross Tag, The major SF ports, even MK11.

The only exception to the rule is SNK Tag Heroines.