• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Roosters are no joke. My uncle had some. Those things are aggressive.

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah.. I had no idea that blades were involved. Wtf. The only "experience" I had with cockfighting was that mini-game in Sleeping Dogs, so I just assumed it was some weird ruffling feather peck-a-thon until one gives up.

The reality is really awful and sad. RIP.

Yeah, it has blades so these fighting roosters will fight to the death. They were raised to fight against each other.

This is a rare way for a policeman to pass away. That really blows. Sigh...

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
All Cocks Are Bastards.
Really though, thats horrible and changes my perspective on how dangerous cocks can be

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Cock fighting was pretty popular in my island, but I never heard about those real blades stuff. What the fuck ?

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
I just googled it and no, actual blades!
newFile-3.jpg
Digimon.

Cockfighting is huge in PH.
I think prize pool goes up to millions.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
At first I thought it was just a super aggressive bird and dude just was an older unlucky police chief but I had no idea they put deadly ass blades on them as well. Any of them could do serious damage to any and everything.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Facts. This is very common in the Caribbean. Live streamings and thousands of dollars being bet on. Hell people spend millions building facilities raising these roosters. Bunch of baseball players do it on their spare time too.
Damn is it really that widespread and accepted? I thought it would be some secret criminal underground thing

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i feel like i've seen several news stories over the years of people getting killed trying to handle bladed roosters

that blade pretty much turns them into small velociraptors

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
Was he alone? I'm assuming some of his colleagues carry tourniquet and used it on him? Man, that sucks.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Modwhining

What a stupid ban. American police stop illegal things, too, yet plenty of us would get a chuckle out of one dying in an absurd way. I guess this cop was tired of murdering drug offenders so decided to do something worthwhile.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pity it couldn't have gotten the fucker running this shit. Horrible excuses for people devoid of any essence of worth.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Damn is it really that widespread and accepted? I thought it would be some secret criminal underground thing
Nah, it's viewed as a gentleman sport but Caribbean folks don't use the knives instead they go for this. I think some time ago activists from abroad was trying to ban it in the Dominican Republic but the gov and the population just went "lol no". They did banned Pitbull fighting so that's no longer a thing.
espolones-para-gallos.jpg

preparando-con-espuelas-de-plastico-a-los-gallos.png

The crazy part however, is that they have boxing trainers for each individual rooster and a punching bag as well.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Whenever I hear about cockfighting one of my favorite Pokemon immediately springs to mind:
1200px-257Blaziken.png

Nope, animal cruelty is very widespread and mainstream in so many parts of the world. Shit sucks. As horrible as Phillipines' police state is nobody deserves to go out like this

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
era just out here looking for shit to get offended by

a·maz·ing
/əˈmāziNG/
Learn to pronounce

adjective
  1. causing great surprise or wonder; astonishing

honestly, that's the way I read it, too. When he said "amazing", i just read it as WOW, this s--t is CRAZY. What a wild series of events. Until I read a few responses, it never occurred to me that the interpretation was joy or acab or any of that stuff.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017

a·maz·ing
/əˈmāziNG/
Learn to pronounce

adjective
Oh come off it, you're being disingenuous. Yes, what you posted is the original and correct definition, but don't act like the informal usage where it's used to mean 'fantastic' is not the way more popular way the word is used on the internet.

Oct 25, 2017
Add me to list of people surprised at the actual blades being attached. I thought they just filed and sharpened the rear talon.

Also surprised they just picked them up with hands. All the stories I've heard about fighting roosters is their aggression at everything.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Add me to list of people surprised at the actual blades being attached. I thought they just filed and sharpened the rear talon.

Also surprised they just picked them up with hands. All the stories I've heard about fighting roosters is their aggression at everything.
Fighting cocks tend to be very calm when putting the blade on them and even after releasing them on the arena. From what I remember watching this as a kid, plenty of times they wouldn't even fight so the "trainers" would pick them up and have them peck each other so they'd start fighting. It's a very stupid hobby that sadly hasn't been banned here yet, I only know about it because my father wanted me to enjoy and involve myself in the things he also enjoyed, but that didn't happen. I don't know how widespread it is within Latam.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus that ridiculous, some of the blades they put on the roosters look crazy. I was surprised to learn when i was younger this was a real thing and not something someone heard about once and made up for films.

a·maz·ing
/əˈmāziNG/
Learn to pronounce

adjective

naive
/nʌɪˈiːv,nɑːˈiːv/

Learn to pronounce

adjective
adjective: naive; comparative adjective: naiver; superlative adjective: naivest; adjective: naïve; comparative adjective: naïver; superlative adjective: naïvest
  1. (of a person or action) showing a lack of experience, wisdom, or judgement.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In Puerto Rico its tradition. They banned this barbaric shit and a ton of idiots actually protested in the capital claiming it was cultural heritage and that the economy would suffer. Its really just a betting ring and a easier way to buy drugs while watching chicken dinner be massacred.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Holy shit, I just thought cock fighting involved the roosters just fighting to the death with just their little claws and pecking
That would be even more inhumane. They'd likely die slowly from exhaustion rather than swiftly.

Horrible sport, either way. As a filipino myself, I refused to attend anything like it when I was visiting family out there.

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
What a stupid ban. American police stop illegal things, too, yet plenty of us would get a chuckle out of one dying in an absurd way. I guess this cop was tired of murdering drug offenders so decided to do something worthwhile.
You have no idea of this mans background and he died horrifically, I hope you receive a ban for this equally fucked up opinion of yours too.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
God, seeing what people attach to these animals and make them fight is sickening. I can only hope after this crazy tragic event there is a huge fucking push to lock up these people.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It is illegal but people still do it, a lot of corrupt politician bankroll that shit.

The article explicitly says it's legal (just suspended due to COVID):
Cockfighting is a popular blood sport in the Philippines, where people will bet on the birds before they fight to the death. Many of the fights are legal and licensed, although some rings operate outside the law.

Legal fights are only permitted on Sundays and holidays.

The Philippine government has temporarily banned cockfighting along with other cultural and sporting events due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The article explicitly says it's legal (just suspended due to COVID):
I'm actually from the Philippines, pretty sure it's at least illegal here on our city at least. It can be legal on 'fiesta' and some special events, but overall I thought that was illegal. My uncle use to bring me to 'sabungan' (cockfighting arenas) when I was young but he told me it's already illegal now.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm actually from the Philippines, pretty sure it's at least illegal here on our city at least. It can be legal on 'fiesta' and some special events, but overall I thought that was illegal. My uncle use to bring me to 'sabungan' (cockfighting arenas) when I was young but he told me it's already illegal now.

I see, thanks!

I guess it's more or less a matter of semantics whether an activity is "legal" in a country, when it's actually illegal in most places and times, but legal in a few ones. The accurate term would probably be "mostly illegal", I guess.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
no, this one was originally locked under the "shock thread" policy

not sure why it was reopened.

Threads like these that concerns topics exceeding pure shock, like news about terror attacks, honestly should not be covered by that policy. These news expose animal violence which should be discussed. Threads on violent animal "sports" like dogfighting, bullfighting, etc. are pretty important.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
3 day ban for expressing joy over someone dying a gruesome death while trying to stop animal abuse... Thank you Era, very cool!

The word "amazing" expresses surprise and shock, not joy. I know it is often informally used with that meaning too, and I don't claim to know which meaning that poster intended, but generally to be amazed is to be astonished.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
this thread was unlocked because everyone loves a bit of the cock every now and again