• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I got the PC version in a humble monthly

Nice game but will wait on a sale for now since the Capcom belt collection fulfills my current needs

Murdy Plops

Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Silly September on switch continues. I'll definitely look to pick this up when I get through the 178 other games on my Nintendo Switch wishlist.

OP
OP
cbrotherson

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham

Documented here:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/674520/discussions/0/1741094390463856995/

About an eventual Switch port (2018/9/13)
A lot of people were asking about a Switch port of this game. Well, looks like now, I can answer this question. Sorry for keep avoiding answers about that. I've already asked Nintendo for get access to Switch Development Kit in order to work in a Fight'N Rage port, and yesterday... after a long wait, they formally declined. I really have intentions to work on a Switch port, and in the eventual case that will be a possibility in the future, I will keep it in secret (just like all developers does, for obvious legal reasons), but at least for now, looks like the aswer it's for sure a "NO". Some people already offers me to port FnR to Switch in the past, but I have to be honest... nowadays, if I make something with my game, I prefer work on it by myself too (I don't even know if it was possible to achieve that without rewroting ALL the entire code from scratch... that's the reason why I needed the Development Kit in first place... to start to making serious tests), I really DON'T want to make bad quality ports. So, now it's official, (at least at this time 2018/9/13) looks like Fight'N Rage will not be ported to Nintendo Switch. I have the intentions to start the evaluation, but it's not depends on me right now. Sorry for the delayed response, I know that a lot of people want it, but... that's the way that it's.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's coming to everything, just got the press release:
  • Switch - September 26
  • Xbox One - September 27
  • PS4 - "Soon"
Trailer:

OP should request title update. =)

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey that's great news! Didn't the dev team struggled to have it on Switch in the first place?

In any case, glad they managed to have it in! It's a stellar beat-em-up.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't care for the character designs but I'm still in for a Day One purchase.

I've heard nothing but good things about this.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Nice! Played this game with a friend once on PC but will be nice to have it on the go on Switch.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Played through the game once. This one probably sits at the bottom of the totem pole of the major modern beat em ups.

Wasn't a fan of the combat. Never felt like there was much utility in any of my moves beyond using them in combos. The game becomes screen after screen of mobs (and the game FILLS the screen with enemies) for you to do long combos on. I can't particularly say why, but doing combos in this game wasn't too interesting to me (especially compared to other combo heavy games like Streets of Fury, Guardian Heroes, or Phantom Breaker)

Admittedly I only played through the game once (we didn't feel compelled to play through the game again) and the route we went on didn't have any (that I can remember) stage gimmicks like the trailer shows, so we missed out on those. Also I played the girl character. The two people I was playing with chose the other two characters and they seemed like they could do way more than the girl.

The visuals are cool but distracting (border on hurting my eyes). There's a lot of bright neon, shaking, and saturated colors.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Played through the game once. This one probably sits at the bottom of the totem pole of the major modern beat em ups.

Wasn't a fan of the combat. Never felt like there was much utility in any of my moves beyond using them in combos. The game becomes screen after screen of mobs (and the game FILLS the screen with enemies) for you to do long combos on. I can't particularly say why, but doing combos in this game wasn't too interesting to me (especially compared to other combo heavy games like Streets of Fury, Guardian Heroes, or Phantom Breaker)

Admittedly I only played through the game once (we didn't feel compelled to play through the game again) and the route we went on didn't have any (that I can remember) stage gimmicks like the trailer shows, so we missed out on those. Also I played the girl character. The two people I was playing with chose the other two characters and they seemed like they could do way more than the girl.

The visuals are cool but distracting (border on hurting my eyes). There's a lot of bright neon, shaking, and saturated colors.

i think it's easily the best beat 'em up of the last decade or so.

All the characters can do a lot, there's a fighting game type practice room with challenge combos where you can learn more about the systems.

A bunch of the visual stuff can be turned off in the options, although I personally liked it.

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, both because it's a good entry on the genre and because the dev struggled with Nintendo before.

I feel the same way... about Phantom Breaker lol

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Good but flawed belt scroller. Large enemy mobs and the lack of a suspend or save feature made it kind of a chore to play (guess this won't be a problem on switch).

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
I've never heard of this game until now but it's going on my buy list. I love a good beat em up

You'll definitely enjoy this one a lot. It has many branching paths to discover and a fluid combo system that is simple enough to jump into but has some juggle depth when playing with a friend. The music and pixel art are some of the best I've seen in any indie developed game in a long time as well.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The extremely combo-heavy gameplay, with the loose move cancelling that every character can do and the fact everyone juggles so well, is exactly why I enjoyed this game so much tbh. It's so flexible that it's easy to be super creative on the fly. Part of the enjoyment was me constantly thinking to myself, "hmm, can I catch this guy here to finish him off and still make it over to that set of enemies without dropping the combo meter? Yeah, I can, woo!"

Different to classic brawlers like SoR, sure, it's a very modern take on the genre, so if you prefer your brawlers old-school then this isn't the game for you, but I enjoyed the fuck out of it despite any issues. Aside from that though, the developer also just fucking nailed the feeling of hitting enemies. It just feels good and meaty in a hard-to-define way with the mix of hitstun, sound effects and general 'feel' of the characters' movesets like many other games.

Nov 9, 2017
RĂ©union
I would advise to test it if possible before buying it. True, the game offers a lot in terms of combo. You can also parry by pressing forward. I don't really like the style, but I can't say it's bad per say (remind of some Game Boy games, but in color). The music is... I can't remember a single track, other than the title theme, but I can't say it's bad. And there's also a good replay value because there are a lot of endings (although I find the story to be in opposition with the style - might be a personnal thing, I like my BTU more light hearted).

So it's perfect, right? Not really, the problem with this game is that it's quite difficult, or at least too much for my taste. It's not rare to have like 5 or 6 enemies at the same time on the screen, so it can get a litte bit crowded.

When I look at the Steam achievements, I can see that only 19,6% of the people who bought the game was able to finish it on normal (I'm not part of this group), which is quite low. For example, Bloodstained: Ritual of the night sits at 43,3%, and Cuphead is at 13,6%. So, if you like a challenge, well go for it. But if like me, you prefer your BTU to be more "gentle", you should consider another game, like River City Girls for example. Because, even on normal, it's challenging. Not extremely difficult mind you, but challenging nonetheless.

And there's also something to know about the gameplay. It's true that there's a lot of combos, but some of them are rather hard to pull out. I won't say that they are as tough as a combo in a fighting game, but almost. Let's say that they can require a good dose of dexterity.

My personnal experience with this game: after playing it with a friend, I decided to buy it. Then, I reached a zone with a raft. I lost maybe 5 or 6 times here, then decided to refund it. Fast forward to 2019, now the game is 3,99€ on Steam. I say to myself, why not? Even if I don't finish it, I know what to expect. So yes, I bought it again. Right now, I'm trying to finish it but... How should I put it? I don't find it really fun. I played River City Girls 23 hours straight, but FnR I can't. I try a stage, lose 3 continues, then stop. Oh, I almost forgot: you have to unlock the easy mode and the training mode.

Last edited:

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I wasn't expecting this announcement. This is great news.

I got the game on sale for PC a while back and put maybe an hour into it, it felt pretty good (though difficult).
I don't play games on the PC much so a console option means I can finally get back into it.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
It's actually a really fun beat em up. I have it on PC and I occasionally jump into it.

Lots of content in there for sure. Combat is kinda stupid dumb, but in a fun, Batman Arkham way.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Did a few playthroughs of this on PC and the most interesting thing about this game is the alternate pathways and alternate endings.

You will literally get different dialog and stages if you pick different choices (often by making time limited choices). Hell, some characters may even die lol. The writing could be better as there are few grammatical errors here and there but I don't think the guy who made this game is native English anyway (native Spanish?).

Anyways, the combo system can get pretty deep and you can unlock tons of bonus modes (score attack, VS mode, extra characters from the game 20+, colors/costumes, etc) with coins you get. There is a very useful training mode that acts like streetfighter's trial mode so you can practice combos. There is also a CPU + partner mode so even if you don't have any friends to play with, you can play with CPU partners. Something River City Girls is missing.

You can even unlock a super easy mode complete with pacifier icon if the game is too hard for you. It cost 50 coins meaning you have to at least try normal first.

Still would like a GGPO online enabled coop mode tho.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't even know what to say to this other than NAH

especially phantom breaker... you really gonna say this game is more boring than fuckin phantom breaker??

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I just picked this up. Don't see any discernible difference between the PC version in terms of framerate. No online multiplayer but it does have 3 player couch co-op.

Then again the original PC release didn't have online multiplayer either.

Blitworks job in all this was just merely publishing and porting work. They didn't add any new features. It's already a feature packed game to begin with.

Definitely worthwhile for console owners. As I said I already own this on PC, but picked it up for Switch because it's easier to bring it over to my friends houses to setup a couch co-op party. I used to do the same thing with my Laptop and Streets of Rage Remake plugged into a big TV via HDMI.

This is strictly a no-frills straight port of the PC release. It's an excellent game that still is excellent, just now playable on all current consoles.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Switch port seems to be rock solid. So glad I waited for this version as it really is "perfect for Switch."

Hard to believe that this was made by one guy. It's so polished in both presentation and gameplay. Pretty challenging too. Getting that 1cc is gonna be a tough one.