• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

(CNN)Essentially the entirety of physics centers on four forces that control our known, visible universe, governing everything from the production of heat in the sun to the way your laptop works. They are gravity, electromagnetism, the weak nuclear force, and the strong force.
New research may be leading us closer to one more.
Scientists at the Institute for Nuclear Research at the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (Atomki) have posted findings showing what could be an example of that fifth force at work.

Dark matter? Anti-light?

"It points to the Holy Grail of physics" is quite the statement.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I thought they'd already unified EM, Weak and Strong based on the Higgs Boson stuff? Or is that still work in progress?

(note that I have no idea what the Higgs Boson is or in what way it unifies the non-gravity forces; I know only the barest minimum of what's going on in that area)

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
2019 - Earth scientists discover a new fundamental force.
2020 - Darkseid launches a full invasion of Earth due to Earth scientists inadvertently discovering the Anti-Life Equation.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is why I'm always kinda skeptical actually when people say things like "we'll never travel outside of our solar system!" and stuff like that.

We barely understand our universe as is. There's so much we don't yet understand, dark matter and energy are 95% of the universe (we think) and we can't properly even quantify those.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Kc4OUhy.jpg

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
This is why I'm always kinda skeptical actually when people say things like "we'll never travel outside of our solar system!" and stuff like that.

We barely understand our universe as is. There's so much we don't yet understand, dark matter and energy are 95% of the universe (we think) and we can't properly even quantify those.

I think some of this stems from pessimism about the human race will even be able to advance that far before we destroy ourselves?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Scientists Discover Heart as 5th Force of Nature, Combine Powers to summon Captain Planet to Counter Climate Change

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
Just a submission to arXiv, no paper in a major publication? This hungarian team has a history of finding anomalies like these that fade into nothing.

Holding my horses until a different, non-affiliated team can replicate the results.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Not that we shouldn't accept our current findings with a grain of salt, but there is a significant amount of experimental evidence supporting the fact that if you could go "faster than the speed of light" in any capacity, you could literally break causality, which pretty much seems like a non-starter in terms of "this is possible" in our universe.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that episode of Captain Planet where Linka got addicted to Bliss? Man the 90s were weird.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
You're all a bunch of nerds for posting the memes I was gonna post before I could.

Oct 29, 2017
It's worth noting a few things about this article. The first, as ever, is that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

The second is that this paper has not been peer reviewed. Usually when a scientific paper is published, it gets reviewed by a panel of experts in the field. They may not necessarily agree with its conclusions, but they'll explain to the editor if there are any mistakes in theory or methodology. That hasn't happened for his paper!

On that topic, this research group have been reporting this since about 2012. Previously, they've had issues with noise in their equipment leading to nonsense results. No other scientists using different equipment have replicated this result, either. If this particle is what they say it is, it doesn't require much energy to find (it's 10,000× less energy than the Higgs Boson, and we found that!). And yet..
Nobody else has.

Next, this research group don't publish any results except those related to X17, which is about one result every two years. They are doing cutting edge particle physics, a really hot area with lots to find, and they don't find anything else worth talking about? A search for "LHC" in papers published by CERN turns up about 25,000 papers.

This article might be of interest to you :