• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Yeah, I think our gameplan should just be trying to hold off the Americans for as long as possible to then try to get a goal late in the game. Not being able to score a quick goal might frustrate them as that's nothing something they're used to and they've already looked shake later in their games.
I dunno going defense is just a way to get piled on into submission against a better USA side. Our defense is the worst part anyway.
But this Netherlands team is incredibly resilient, they have won every single game in two years time. I think even against the USA we just need to play our own game and fight for everything.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
The US England game was played at a higher tempo than tonight's match but the Netherlands still looked full of energy at the end. Frustrating the USA is the way to go, otherwise once they take the lead it'll just be time wasting and play acting from them until the final whistle.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
This will be the first knock out game US has the upper hand in rest, going into round of 16.
Spain played their 3rd group stage game on June 17th.
US played their 3rd group stage on June 20th.
Round of 16 game was played June 24th.
Quarters France had 1 day extra rest.
Semi-final England had 1 day rest.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am really looking forward to Sunday. I am rooting for the USA, but if I am being honest, I would not be too crestfallen if Holland won. It would be such an inspiring ending to the Cup and wonderful for the team to be the underdog victors. I felt the same when Japan beat us.

Plus, we USWNT fans have been fed well for a minute now.

I guess what I am saying is: I hope both teams show up and play their asses off, and the best team wins. High five from the USA, Holland. Bring the pressure!

I do feel bad for Sweden, though. So many shots that were almost there, and some absolutely BRILLIANT goalkeeping vs them... this match really showed how much this is a game of inches (sorry, centimeters.)

Really impressive Cup for the European teams no matter the outcome of the final.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Just a reminder that July 7 2019 is exactly 45 years to the day that the Netherlands suffered their "greatest national embarrassment" since the second World War, where Germany, after stealing the country, also stole the 74 World Cup from the Netherlands and Cruyff.

giphy.gif

(j/k Beckenbauer's side was good too)

(not really kidding though)

Fully on board for the Women's side to perpetuate the since then age old tradition of the Netherlands bottling in the WC final.

onkelsander

Oct 29, 2017
Any news on the Martens injury.... They need everyone on top of their game if they are to pull this off... I like the dutch midfield trio, if they can avoid conceding a goal the first 15-20 mins, that would be great... Keep it interesting at least.... Looking forward to a good game, thats for sure...

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
In general the Dutch top players need to stand up. Lieke Martens (for people who don't know, the FIFA world player of 2017) has been rather invisible throughout the tournament. Netherlands ca. 2017, when they strolled into winning the European Cup, could've easily given USA a really hard time, but now their current form could also lead to a very onesided final match.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Watched the match yesterday and it was clear that 2 or 3 women have so much more technique than the others. Huge discrepancy, it's like watching NBA players in the same team as college guys. On a similar note, the difference between women's and men's football is much higher than in other sports for some reason. Volleyball for example is very similar (it seems at least), or tennis, or handball...

Anyway, lets see if Netherlands can win this!

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I think USA is favored given the form NL is having currently. Fighting spirit and tenacity won't be enough to beat USA. Hope they can find their form and a few players step up.

DCPat

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't seen any of the USA football sadly.

All I know is that I think the Netherlands centre defense is very good and solid. Van Lunteren at right back is solid defensively aswell. Weak spot is the left back I think. But if they manage to hold of USA I hope there are some chances on the counter. If Martens can't play due to her injury and Beerensteyn and Van Der Sanden play we got a real threat in pace up front.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
On a similar note, the difference between women's and men's football is much higher than in other sports for some reason. Volleyball for example is very similar (it seems at least), or tennis, or handball...
Well men's competitive football is by far the biggest and most professionalized sport in the world. Conversely, women competitive football was just a hobby for most of the world outside of the USA until very recently. Most major European football teams seem more interested in setting up an esports section than a women's team. In addition the football pitch is much bigger than any of the other sports you mention, requiring more strength and endurance.

That said, the USA - England match was one of the most exciting matches I've seen this year, so it definitely seems to be getting there quickly. I would imagine the recent success of some European teams (the first semifinal had 11M viewers of a total 55M inhabitants in England and the second semifinal had 5M viewers of a total 17M inhabitants in the Netherlands) will cause a big surge in the interest in women football as well.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the match yesterday and it was clear that 2 or 3 women have so much more technique than the others. Huge discrepancy, it's like watching NBA players in the same team as college guys. On a similar note, the difference between women's and men's football is much higher than in other sports for some reason. Volleyball for example is very similar (it seems at least), or tennis, or handball...

Anyway, lets see if Netherlands can win this!
I don't think so.

The discrepancy between men & women in most sports is large. That doesn't mean the product isn't enjoyable of course
But it's definitely not more prevalent in soccer than other sports.

Basketball for one is equal if not bigger. I say bigger.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I think USA is favored given the form NL is having currently. Fighting spirit and tenacity won't be enough to beat USA. Hope they can find their form and a few players step up.

Of course the US are favoured, it's really their finals to lose. The US can be frustrated though. They needed 2 penalty shots to beat Spain because Spain knew they couldn't match them attack for attack.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Of course the US are favoured, it's really their finals to lose. The US can be frustrated though. They needed 2 penalty shots to beat Spain because Spain knew they couldn't match them attack for attack.
So the best hope the Dutch have is to foul Morgan and Rapinoe nonstop to blunt any attack they muster?

OP
OP
Peru

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
So the best hope the Dutch have is to foul Morgan and Rapinoe nonstop to blunt any attack they muster?

Their best hope is that their high potential attacking stars deliver, because USA have conceded goals in mostly every match and are quite likely to do so again. Score a couple of goals and anything can happen.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

Just get Robben and Sneijder to do a quick presentation on how to irritate an opponent so much that they do your job for you.

All joking aside, as Peru indicated the attack is probably better than any team the US have faced so far. If the defence can minimise errors, I think we can hurt the US on the counters and especially on set pieces.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Yep this is the first time the US side will have more rest than their opponent all tournament through the knockouts. Rapinoe should be good to start with the extra rest and the squad will be at full strength against the Dutch
even if she's not at full strength got plenty of options backup wise or just keep her in for possible PK's

how did that work out for Spain?

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
No the best hope is that the Dutch finally reach their potential this tournament.
They haven't been playing up to the level they are capable of. Yet. Some segments, maybe.
If they can bring their best game and the strikers like Miedema are in top shape they do stand a pretty good chance imo.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
All joking aside, as Peru indicated the attack is probably better than any team the US have faced so far. If the defence can minimise errors, I think we can hurt the US on the counters and especially on set pieces.
with Miedema not on form and Marten's not on form/injured, Van De Sanden being poor, no way I can rate Netherlands attack better than England's or France's.

Ellen white from open play, and Renard from set pieces are far more scary than anything I can think of from NED on current form

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
how did that work out for Spain?

To be fair to Spain, they for sure neutralised the US attack better than the next two teams the US faced. The US failed to score on them in open play.

No the best hope is that the Dutch finally reach their potential this tournament.
They haven't been playing up to the level they are capable of. Yet. Some segments, maybe.
If they can bring their best game and the strikers like Miedema are in top shape they do stand a pretty good chance imo.

Yep, there hasn't been a game where they've all performed at their best. There were games where one or two would have a decent game, but not the other(s). Hopefully this is the game where they all step up.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Yeah the pitch is too big, we were talking about it yday.
I don't think so.

The discrepancy between men & women in most sports is large. That doesn't mean the product isn't enjoyable of course
But it's definitely not more prevalent in soccer than other sports.

Basketball for one is equal if not bigger. I say bigger.
For basketball there is a lot more contact, so I understand the difference in the way they play. For football even if you dont consider speed, strength, just the technical level is really big. As someone that quoted me said, women's football just recently started to grow in more countries, it used to be an USA thing mostly. If I am not mistaken only this week Real Madrid, the greatest (men) club in the world creates their women team (I think they bought some team to make their way into the first division instead of starting in lower levels).

Not long ago Brazilian teams didn't have women's squad, now every team in the first division of the men league need to have a women team... Same for Libertadores.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I would like to apologize for the comments I made in this thread last week. I'm not entirely sure why I said them, because not only were they offensive, they didn't even make sense either. Once the people rightly calling me out started rolling in, I should have apologized right then and there, but instead I doubled down like an idiot, and that was also shitty.

Again, I apologize.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Infantino wants to increase the Women's World Cup to 32 countries with doubled prize money for 2023 https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48885876

He also plans to double a planned $500m (£400m) investment in women's football in the next four years, saying Fifa has unprecedented levels of reserves and "we don't need all that money in Swiss banks - they have enough".

Oh the money was there to spend and invest on growth all along? I love when people do the right things because it suddenly dawns on them all the potential earnings they've been ignoring. Better late than never I guess.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I think they should give it one more cup before they raise the number. Let the others catch up in terms of skill level.
Problem is without a chance to make into the tournament (more spots), a lot of countries won't invest as much locally. This way you can start spurring investment in kids soccer even if one or two tournaments will have weaker players until the pipeline improves.

OP
OP
Peru

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
No the tournament is not ready to expand yet. We'll have more 13-0 type results because there simply aren't 32 good teams yet

It is ready and will be an incentive in itself for nations to get ready. This has been a super competitive wc. One anomalous team being crushed is more than acceptable. Development is key and the wc pushes that. Also there are 10+ European teams not in France ready to challenge the best.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
It is ready and will be an incentive in itself for nations to get ready
You can't look at this tourney and say it's ready, you have to look at the state of women's football in many countries, Foxsports broadcast mention Chile and Argentina don't have funding from their football federation, Thailand has players who have regular jobs, The tournament can't expand until the women's game is being probably funded..

OP
OP
Peru

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
You can't look at this tourney and say it's ready, you have to look at the state of women's football in many countries, Foxsports broadcast mention Chile and Argentina don't have funding from their football federation, Thailand has players who have regular jobs, The tournament can't expand until the women's game is being probably funded..

World Cup potential leads to funding more than anything else. But I agree Fifa as a non profit org should put way more money into it right away.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
No the tournament is not ready to expand yet. We'll have more 13-0 type results because there simply aren't 32 good teams yet
On the flip side, being able to make the tournament will encourage more countries to invest in their programs. You have to deal with these sorts of results in order to truly grow the game on an international level.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
It is ready and will be an incentive in itself for nations to get ready. This has been a super competitive wc. One anomalous team being crushed is more than acceptable. Development is key and the wc pushes that. Also there are 10+ European teams not in France ready to challenge the best.

It's like people conveniently ignore the garbage teams that manage to qualify for the men's tournaments. North Korea, Saudi Arabia, the US Men's team (jk).

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
Yeah the pitch is too big, we were talking about it yday.

For basketball there is a lot more contact, so I understand the difference in the way they play. For football even if you dont consider speed, strength, just the technical level is really big. As someone that quoted me said, women's football just recently started to grow in more countries, it used to be an USA thing mostly. If I am not mistaken only this week Real Madrid, the greatest (men) club in the world creates their women team (I think they bought some team to make their way into the first division instead of starting in lower levels).

Not long ago Brazilian teams didn't have women's squad, now every team in the first division of the men league need to have a women team... Same for Libertadores.

Women's basketball uses smaller ball with shorter 3pt line also.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I would like to apologize for the comments I made in this thread last week. I'm not entirely sure why I said them, because not only were they offensive, they didn't even make sense either. Once the people rightly calling me out started rolling in, I should have apologized right then and there, but instead I doubled down like an idiot, and that was also shitty.

Again, I apologize.
Emotions ran hot for everyone involved 😂

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

If the majority of the extra bids come from UEFA then yeah they can be competitive. But if they spread them out among the Asian and American confederations then there's no depth there and those teams will get blown out by the top 10 ranked squads

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Lots of Dutch players just resting before the final, 7 players skipped today's training and another one did nothing but a bit of cycling on a stationary bicycle.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Oh yeah that worthless match. Oh well could be good.

England impressed me the most this tournament, so I guess I'll be rooting for them.

Tomorrow at least, all of Era can band together to support the ole Red White and Blue.