• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
They deserve it after unwarranted hysteria about arrogance. And who cares what you 'just don't do'. I was cheering hard for the brits to win but good on the American players for having a bit of fun with the situation.

Oh absolutely and I was laughing hard at the Tea jab from Morgan. I was merely trying to make some sense of the english outrage.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Now this is petty. Not even offensive just dumb.

Yeah Fox just keep doing disgusting and dumb shit. Also good on Lianne for not dragging all of the US for the shit Fox pull.

Edit:
And as usual Rio is being a proper class act. Focusing on the positives

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea the tea thing drives the English football fans up the wall...

It should be the default celebration for every goal against England from here on.

The people getting annoyed about the tea thing are strange

It's just banter. I thought it was funny and generally like the stereotype

They're likely in the minority and not worth listening to.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017

I do think it's a bit tragic to invoke 200 year old historical events to celebrate a goddamn football game but maybe that's because you'd go down a rabbit hole real, real quick with European countries lol

Oct 29, 2017
Because we pay better. If we had all our baseball, basketball and football all stars play in European sports we'd dominate the world. 🤷‍♂️
Ahah you Americans are always hilarious with this bollocks.

Just enjoy the fact there's one sport, womens football, that the rest of the world doesn't find boring as fuck and you excel in. You don't need to pretend you should actually win every sport. Because you shouldn't, you wouldn't and you won't.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
I do think it's a bit tragic to invoke 200 year old historical events to celebrate a goddamn football game but maybe that's because you'd go down a rabbit hole real, real quick with European countries lol

I think it's funny that the official USWNT twitter posted that, I doubt that ours would do something similar.

It's clearly just friendly ribbing and that's fine by me. We'd be just as bad, probably worse, if we had won last night.

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Ahah you Americans are always hilarious with this bollocks.

Just enjoy the fact there's one sport, womens football, that the rest of the world doesn't find boring as fuck and you excel in. You don't need to pretend you should actually win every sport. Because you shouldn't, you wouldn't and you won't.

The salt is very salty...

The fact is, he's got a point. Imagine if Lebron James or Mike Trout were instead playing cricket, or Adrian Peterson and LeVeon Bell playing rugby. I wouldn't go as far as saying they would dominate, but they would clearly be better.

Besides, the irony is strong here, as sports like basketball and baseball have definitely become a lot more global over the past 20-30 years.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
They deserve it after unwarranted hysteria about arrogance. And who cares what you 'just don't do'. I was cheering hard for the brits to win but good on the American players for having a bit of fun with the situation.

This wasn't a one-time thing. After they were rightly criticized for celebrating every goal against Thailand like they had just won the tournament, they celebrated their next goal with mock-restraint (the golf clap).

I'm not saying this is a huge thing, it's just douchey behavior. Nothing more, nothing less.

And it's not a gender thing either, I find Ronaldo's arrogance just as unpleasant.

To me, destroying your opponent and being humble about it is a much more powerful message.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
The fact is, he's got a point. Imagine if Lebron James or Mike Trout were instead playing cricket, or Adrian Peterson and LeVeon Bell playing rugby. I wouldn't go as far as saying they would dominate, but they would clearly be better.

The fuck is this nonsense lol, what makes you say they'd automatically be better at the sports?

kitress

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This wasn't a one-time thing. After they were rightly criticized for celebrating every goal against Thailand like they had just won the tournament, they celebrated their next goal with mock-restraint (the golf clap).

I'm not saying this is a huge thing, it's just douchey behavior. Nothing more, nothing less.

And it's not a gender thing either, I find Ronaldo's arrogance just as unpleasant.

To me, destroying your opponent and being humble about it is a much more powerful message.
What message? It's soccer!!!

Destroying your opponent, humble... WTF. Some people are just weird. It's just soccer, fam.

Celebrating hard is arrogant. Not celebrating hard enough is douchey. Okay, we're so in "bitch eating cracker" territory here.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think that's true for most European countries but when England met Germany in the semi final of Euro 96 the tabloids were a nightmare of WWII imagery and anti German sentiment.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Because they are good athletes? They're not just amazing at their sports, these guys are very much athletically gifted.

Unless you don't know who they are, otherwise you wouldn't be saying "nonsense".

Yes and? You don't think the top players of these sports are already athletically gifted? What a load of arrogant nonsense this is. "Clearly" be better lol.

Surely there must be something that would automatically elevate them above the current players if you're correct. So please share it with us. I doubt you know enough about either of the two given sports to know whether there are any comparable genetic freaks in them.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017

Destroying your opponent, humble... WTF. Some people are just weird. It's just soccer, fam.

Celebrating hard is arrogant. Not celebrating hard enough is douchey. Okay, we're so in "bitch eating cracker" territory here.
In all other matches where one team destroys the other team that I have seen, they usually stop celebrating so hard after like the 5th goal. So what the USWNT did was a little over the top. So it does sort of look douchy for a lot of people. I personally don't have a stake in this argument, but that is how it looks.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
Because they are good athletes? They're not just amazing at their sports, these guys are very much athletically gifted.

Unless you don't know who they are, otherwise you wouldn't be saying "nonsense".

It's just always been kind of an odd comparison.

Sure they're really athletic, but they'd have to have completely different builds to play Cricket and Rugby effectively. Cricket players aren't bulky, and running backs would get annihilated in Rugby without bulking up.

Different sports, very different athletic builds required, it's kind of silly to say they'd be 'clearly' better.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018

Come on now, the "not so hard" celebration was clearly demonstrative mockery.

It certainly is just football. And though thoroughly unlikable, the US team is fantastic.

In all other matches where one team destroys the other team that I have seen, they usually stop celebrating so hard after like the 5th goal. So what the USWNT did was a little over the top. So it does sort of look douchy for a lot of people. I personally don't have a stake in this argument, but that is how it looks.

Exactly what I mean.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Besides, the irony is strong here, as sports like basketball and baseball have definitely become a lot more global over the past 20-30 years.
Better than whom?

Aaaaah. So, Americans are the master race, they have the best genes, and if they just went to another sport they would dominate, since people from everywhere else in the world are not nearly as athletically gifted?

Interesting theory.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
You've also got the England band playing The Great Escape theme constantly as well so sadly war imagery is never far away.

USWNT are arrogant but justifiably so. They are the best in the world. They are do enough shithousing to make them unlikable with Morgan diving, Horan sticking one on Scott twice early on then time wasting or faking injuries to stop the flow of the game.

England are not even a rival for them, just another emerging team they've put in their place. The celebrations are odd from an outsiders point of view but as Hope Solo said they do it their own way and it's worked for them so far. I still hope they lose in the final because sport is all about winners being knocked down to size occasionally and I think the USWNT think they've got this won now they're in the final.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Aaaaah. So, Americans are the master race, they have the best genes, and if they just went to another sport they would dominate, since people from everywhere else in the world are not nearly as athletically gifted?

Interesting theory.

If you assume that talented athletes crop up everywhere with equal probability, then the sheer size of the US means that you'd expect them to be able to put together a better team than most countries. No American exceptionalism required.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Had a wry smile when that penalty was saved. Don't usually go for the "anybody but England" mindset as a Scot but when the likes of Just Eat UK or Mars UK only come out in support of England with Scotland in the same competition, US support was sealed.

I know who they are - it's still nonsense.

Yes and? You don't think the top players of these sports are already athletically gifted? What a load of arrogant nonsense this is. "Clearly" be better lol.

Haha yeah, seriously. Throw some RBs in with the All Blacks and see what happens.

HPSauce

Jan 10, 2018
U.K.

I guess by that logic Mitchell Starc, Rohit Sharma and David Warner could just waltz over to the US and dominate Baseball and I suppose the All Blacks could beat every American Football team as well.

You are talking nonsense

Oct 29, 2017

Ah you expanded on your shit posting. Sorry, I missed it.

Better than who, exactly? The idea that these players would magically be better than every other countries rugby, cricket, football players because you know who they are and they're good at basketball, American football or whatever else is a laughably stupid and arrogant thing to say.

Also, that's not what irony is. I was taking a swipe because someone was being a twat, don't get too upset about it. Still, it is odd that American sports aren't really popular anywhere else.

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Shit banter all around. Its just a game guys. I enjoyed the match, US deserved the win, England were good going forward but got exposed defensively. HEJA SVERIGE!

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Better than whom?

Interesting theory.

That's not what I said at all. How about you re-read my posts again.

I am not going to quote everyone, but that should answer everyone's posts.

Americans wouldn't dominate every sport - that's not what I said, but clearly they would have been stronger in say cricket or rugby if some of their top athletes hadn't been playing other sports like hockey, baseball, basketball, am. football, etc. Of course there is the question of fit (say basketball players wouldn't be necessarily good cricket players, etc.), but what makes LeBron a freak is that he is a 6'8 man who moves like a 6'4 man, and that makes a huge difference.

Also, given the USA has a population advantage over all European countries, this means the likelihood of them being able to field competitive teams across sports is just higher. Numbers' game really.

Look at what's happening in Rugby Sevens for instance. US has developed a good team over the years and it's paid off. Both men and women US teams are doing very well and regularly beating "traditionally good teams"

Same happened in men's hockey in the 21st century. At the NHL level, it's been dominated by Canadians, but thanks to the grassroots efforts and the persistence of the NHL to develop the game in the States, 4 Americans have been picked 1st overall in the draft over the past decade, and Americans have been tearing it up in U18 and U20 world competitions.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

Tomorrow is our Independence Day celebration, that's likely the only reason they used that reference.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Please please please don't go down the "Well if our best athletes played these other sports ..." rabbit hole. It is a nonsense , unprovable conversation, pure conjecture there serves no purpose but to rile people up. Also in 2019 it can definitely come off as quasi- MAGA USA THE BEST chest thumping. That said , the Euro backlash in here over the USMNT who have been firmly anti- trump and positive role models to kids for years and years is now firmly in the "bitches eating crackers " territory . you hate to see it

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
That said , the Euro backlash in here over the USMNT who have been firmly anti- trump and positive role models to kids for years and years is now firmly in the "bitches eating crackers " territory . you hate to see it

It just comes with being dominant. The Formula 1 thread is also always filled with pages of Hamilton dislike even though the only damn possible transgression you could pin on the man is his designer clothing style.

Shit banter all around. Its just a game guys. I enjoyed the match, US deserved the win, England were good going forward but got exposed defensively. HEJA SVERIGE!

Can't wait for the proper banter about who ranks better on the HDI tonight!!!

Oct 25, 2017
I think the reason British fans are so frustrated by the Tea thing and the general American behavior is that it's just not something you do in soccer. Usually you celebrate your win, no need for this petty teasing of the other team. And people who do act petty like a Mourinho or a Suarez are widely hated
And then you add the whole Us vs Europe angle on top and it's going to end in a mess.

The sipping tea was top bantz tbf

Of course there is the question of fit (say basketball players wouldn't be necessarily good cricket players, etc.), but what makes LeBron a freak is that he is a 6'8 man who moves like a 6'4 man, and that makes a huge difference

Oh dear you've gone full Bill Simmons, you NEVER go full Simmons.

LeBron would be an absolute donkey on a soccer pitch. He'd have more chance of success in cricket as a fast bowler purely because of his height.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean it was no worse than when a player celebrates a goal in front of opposition fans in the men's game. At least there you can argue that it is inciting trouble in the crowd. If England had won it would have been forgotten by now. It's even in the papers here! Sour grapes.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
If we'd known all we had to do was mime drinking tea to destroy the British all these fights for independence would've been a lot easier.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Just make tea incorrectly and then show it to us, an easy victory

Boston_Tea_Party_w.jpg

American Colonists Demonstrating Tea-Making Prowess to Royal Governor - May 10th, 1773.

onkelsander

Oct 29, 2017
Lets be honest here.... The American team has been dominant since the first female world cup in 91... They've either been first, second or third in every tournament.... Remember back in school, there was always this one guy or girl who would win everything, all the time... That was bloody annoying... The American team IS that guy.... If you can't at least relate to that feeling I don't know what to tell you... Everyone has felt that annoyance towards something at one point or another....

In most west European and south American countries, football is religion..... Especially in the Uk, they live and breathe football.... In fact, if you are ever to visit England, I would highly recommend going to a game, regardless if you like football or not, simply for the atmosphere and experience.... In order to understand the "hate" and bickering over the loss yesterday, you really have to understand this cultural meaning football has...

Speaking of the game, being a non American and non Englishman, I thought the game was great.... Rooted for England, mostly because I like their team, especially their right side with Bronze and Paris... Game was more even than I would have thought, but the US team was better overall.. Can't really deny that.... They have been consistently solid both in defence and offence the whole tournament... Can't see them loosing the final either....I rank both Sweden and Holland bellow both England and France, which the US knocked out.... Looking forward to today's game too, Sweden being the underdog and tournament surprise(IMO)

All in all, its been a great tournament, really nice to see the other big football countries like Spain and Italy showing promise, the future for womens football in Europe is looking good... Not so much for Norway though, especially when we have one of the best female footballers in world refusing to play for the national team :-(

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It just comes with being dominant. The Formula 1 thread is also always filled with pages of Hamilton dislike even though the only damn possible transgression you could pin on the man is his designer clothing style.

Can't wait for the proper banter about who ranks better on the HDI tonight!!!
Well, to be fair, Formula 1 is the most boring and uninteresting sport in the planet, considering cars and not drivers win championships, so four years in a row its Vettel dominating and being unlikable because of his car, and now it's Hamilton, with a couple years in between of their teammates winning.

Arguably, the last championship that was not decided by a ridiculously overperforming car was 2007, and that one was decided by in-fighting in McLaren in which Hamilton was involved.