• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Greece beat the US in 2006. Lithuania (and PR and Argentina) beat the US in 2004. The US was using NBA players, though most of the stars (besides Iverson and Duncan IIRC) didn't want to play and they used Lebron and Carmelo when they were 19 and 20.

No one gave a shit.
Way to COMPLETELY miss the point. Good job, my dude.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Don't see how that's relevant. And FWIW most of those teams had NBA players as well especially Argentina. I wasn't salty at Argentina I was pissed at the US.
Bingo. It's totally fine to be pissed off. But being mad at the US instead of the team you wanted to win is fucking stupid and makes zero sense. This thread is full of a lot of people that are actually pissed at the US.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
So much trolling and zero respect for the women's game.

How many of you will watch these women play at the club level or anything but World Cup. You love the flag but not game or the players who play it.
So, anybody who doesn't jump in ecstasy at the US winning after having massive help by referees in the last 16 and quarter finals (Or even not counting that) is disrespecting the game and the players? But the Americans telling people from the countries they beat to get fucked is A-OK?

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Your ignorance is showing.

US arguably has the best healthcare in the world, but it's not accessible to everybody. That is the problem with the US healthcare system, not the quality of healthcare that one can get. And if you have good healthcare - like I do - you are good.

You can go back to producing salt now.
But it doesn't. You mean, if you are in the top 1%, you can get better healthcare than in a top public healthcare system? You don't have to go to the US for that. There's private Healthcare here too.

Our healthcare system sucks, but assuming one is insured (which most are), we have the best healthcare in the world, and it doesn't take eternity to get it (the latter being the one benefit of our shit system).
Wait times are not shorter in the US than in the average developed country with public healthcare, and provision is worse in general.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
So, anybody who doesn't jump in ecstasy at the US winning after having massive help by referees in the last 16 and quarter finals (Or even not counting that) is disrespecting the game and the players? But the Americans telling people from the countries they beat to get fucked is A-OK?

No...I'm saying most US fans in here saying "get f**cked and I'm sipping on tea" have zero love for the game, seek only to troll and show zero support for the US women or the beautiful game.

I've been to women's game's in US at club level with 2000 people in stands...playing at the top of their game. These people can't say the same. And I'm an England fan by virtue of my birthplace. But overall I love the actual game.

How about we talk about the actual game rather than..."GO USA suck it EURO snobs"

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Hold on, let me catch some of that...
IMG_3404.jpg

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Even then, isn't Ice Hockey dominated by Canada and Russia/Soviet Union?

Canada, US, Sweden, Russia, Finland and Czech Republic are traditionally the big six of ice hockey. Lately Switzerland has also improved and beaten several of those teams. Slovakia has been in downturn for a decade. All other countries are step or more below.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The mens team is god awful, makes you wonder why these people care so much about our womens team
That's why I don't get the "but it's the US so it's a bully picking on a poor person" take. US is shit at a lot of sports. Yeah, I know, gold medals and all that, they're undeniably great in general, but that doesn't automatically make them the team to beat in every category. And I'm not understanding the women's US team's ability to win as being a justification to hate or dislike them. Just silly.

Oct 31, 2017
But it doesn't. You mean, if you are in the top 1%, you can get better healthcare than in a top public healthcare system? You don't have to go to the US for that. There's private Healthcare here too.

Wait times are not shorter in the US than in the average developed country with public healthcare, and provision is worse in general.

This is way OT, so I'll bow out and give you this "W" as you seem to need something to cling on to.

Hey my bad. lol There is so much shit talking in here, it's hard to tell what isn't at this point.

It's all good haha. This thread is getting nastier and even political. Time for me to bow out.

As someone said in this thread, it is just a game. People take it way too serious.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
No...I'm saying most US fans in here saying "get f**cked and I'm sipping on tea" have zero love for the game, seek only to troll and show zero support for the US women or the beautiful game.

I've been to women's game's in US at club level with 2000 people in stands...playing at the top of their game. These people can't say the same. And I'm an England fan by virtue of my birthplace. But overall I love the actual game.

How about we talk about the actual game rather than..."GO USA suck it EURO snobs"
Are our friends in the UK really that sensitive about tea-jabs? I thought that was one of those stereotypes yall embraced?

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Our healthcare system sucks, but assuming one is insured (which most are), we have the best healthcare in the world, and it doesn't take eternity to get it (the latter being the one benefit of our shit system).
Yeah no. Lmao. 😂 haven't heard bullshit like this since the last Trump conference.

What in the world has this to do with Football.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The US largely excels at individual sports internationally (sprinting and swimming in the Olympics although I know these have one or two relay events but they are largely individual like most of the Olympics) and tennis and golf like you said.

There's not a very big US presence in international tournaments for team sports, why is that?
Because the team sports that matter in the US (American Football, Basketball and Baseball) are not the ones that matter the most worldwide. If the world launched an American Football competition then that top 100 teams would all be American, but that's because very few other countries play American Football. The US could field at least 10 Basketball teams that would each beat any team in the world. Rugby, Cricket and to some extent Soccer are simply not that popular in the US and they're not where the best athletes put their focus.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, we've seen the natural reaction to the outcome of a high stakes game of football here. I'm going to leave a reminder here for people to make efforts to stay on-topic and to keep their jabs at opposition fans in good nature and to not step into an inflammatory territory.
Official Staff Communication
There's good natured ribbing and then there's trolling with hateful mockery. Don't make things personal over who wins a game.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This is way OT, so I'll bow out and give you this "W" as you seem to need something to cling on to.

It's all good haha. This thread is getting nastier and even political. Time for me to bow out.

As someone said in this thread, it is just a game. People take it way too serious.
It's a world cup. Countries play. Of course it gets political. It seems its your first world cup, mate.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
Are our friends in the UK really that sensitive about tea-jabs? I thought that was one of those stereotypes yall embraced?

It's hypocrisy is all. The lack of support for the women who have worked all their lives to play the game is astonishing. All the more so by people who come in here and pretend to care so they can get in some stale memes and jokes and make themselves feel good about their country.

If they actually cared about the game on any level, then perhaps I could given them a pass. Banter is okay in moderation. But these people have no love for the game or women who play it.

They have no idea why the US women are so good nor do they bother to care. Clueless.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's hypocrisy is all. The lack of support for the women who have worked all their lives to play the game is astonishing. All the more so by people who come in here and pretend to care so they can get in some stale memes and jokes and make themselves feel good about their country.

If they actually cared about the game on any level, then perhaps I could given them a pass. Banter is okay in moderation. But these people have no love for the game or women who play it.

They have no idea why the US women are so good nor do they bother to care. Clueless.
I get what you're saying as I probably watch 2 matches a year, for example, as do a lot of Americans. With that said, isn't the World Cup all about trying to reach a larger audience? If so then having gatekeepers that try to limit who gets to watch/participate/discuss it seems a bit self-defeating. Reaching a bigger audience, particularly in the US where soccer/football is still an underappreciated sport seems like a good thing. Some people take it too far (as we saw in the France-US thread with the crap about surrender, which rightly led to a ban), but I haven't seen much of that in this thread at all.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Can we be honest for a minute about women's soccor?

Unlike most other sports it's just as exciting as mens.

Tim

Oct 25, 2017
If any Americans want to start following women's soccer more closely, the NWSL is probably the most competitive soccer league in the world. In the current season over half the league is within 3 points of each other. The level of play is extremely high and it has a large number of international players. All games stream for free online. http://www.nwslsoccer.com/

If you don't have a local team, Portland, North Carolina, and Chicago are all fun teams to watch. But really you can pick your favorite US player and follow their team as they all play in the league.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Whoops

Looks like I started a shitstorm sorry guys lol. Was legitimately curious as to why people view the women's soccer team in a negative light.

That said.. I've been watching all the games (different countries too) and it's been a thrilling tournament. Looks like I've been missing out!

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we be honest for a minute about women's soccor?

Unlike most other sports it's just as exciting as mens.

Nah. It's getting better, quality is increasing significantly but still a long way off. Especially in term of excitement and highlighted more so after this year's Champions League despite the boring final.

But international football is closer.

Last edited:

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
People like to see dominant teams lose.

Aside from Women's football and the Olympics, America is basically irrelevant at Sport internationally as all they do is play their own games within the confines of their country and then act arrogantly about how great they are. Arrogance is annoying.

Serena disagrees

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017

Aside from Women's football and the Olympics, America is basically irrelevant at Sport internationally as all they do is play their own games within the confines of their country and then act arrogantly about how great they are. Arrogance is annoying.

Because we pay better. If we had all our baseball, basketball and football all stars play in European sports we'd dominate the world. 🤷‍♂️

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

...and the olympics.

You mean the worlds largest multi-sport competition featuring over 40 different sports? That's all America's good at + womens soccer? okay you're right the US is irrelevant internationally in sports