• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
As somebody who only recently started watching women's soccer.. is there a reason why people don't like the US team? I see a lot of it recently. Rapinoe in particular has impressed the hell out of me off the field.
They're paid like 3x the other teams. Women soccer is still pretty amateur in most of the world, except for the USA so they're definitely the one to beat.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So judging from the responses so far.. people dislike the US team because they're good? That's a dumb reason

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it's tough to see the countries you used to rule just become so dominant over you. It's gotta sting.

You obviously haven't been watching the Cricket World Cup, this isn't even new this summer.

And when it comes to the USA they are by far the best funded and most established side. Everyone likes to see winners knocked down apart from Americans.

Jambi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I will say this though. I do wish that offsides worked more like it does in hockey than it does now. What I mean by that is that as long as one part of the player in hockey is on the line it isn't offsides. I wish they made it so that it was just the majority of a player's body had to be on so that you didn't get ticky tack calls like there have been. I really don't see the difference with someone's arm or foot being too far out makes unless its a large portion of their body.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
As somebody who only recently started watching women's soccer.. is there a reason why people don't like the US team? I see a lot of it recently. Rapinoe in particular has impressed the hell out of me off the field.

Outside of people that just have beef with the US in general, rooting for the favourite isn't very fun.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is a beautiful irony to folks hating specifically on the American women because other countries are too sexist to pay their athletes what they should.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So judging from the responses so far.. people dislike the US team because they're good? That's a dumb reason

Same reason people dislike the Patriots. The US women have dominated the World Cup since its inception. They have never placed below third, and if they win this year then they'll have won half of the titles.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America were deserved winners overall but England gave them one hell of a game in the second half and the Yanks were using every trick in the book to waste time and break up play, like the true champions they are.

They're the most professional team at the tournament and will be worthy winners come Sunday. Rest of the World needs to up its game.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017

People like to see dominant teams lose.

Aside from Women's football and the Olympics, America is basically irrelevant at Sport internationally as all they do is play their own games within the confines of their country and then act arrogantly about how great they are. Arrogance is annoying.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018

Aside from Women's football and the Olympics, America is basically irrelevant at Sport internationally as all they do is play their own games within the confines of their country and then act arrogantly about how great they are. Arrogance is annoying.
I love how you are just like and the Olympics like it isn't 100 sports which a lot have their own tournaments. Also what about women's tennis, golf

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha "Other countries"... hahaha,You mean the rest of the progressive Western European countries in this tourney who make the US look like Iran circa the 80's???

The fact they can't see a reason to properly compensate their female athletes would seem to argue against your premise.

Don't get too defensive about it. You'll get there one day!

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I mean the Olympics are the most important international sporting event and the US is dominant in the Summer Olympics, although meek in the Winter to be fair.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Hahaha "Other countries"... hahaha,You mean the rest of the progressive Western European countries in this tourney who make the US look like Iran circa the 80's???
giphy.gif

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.

Slight correction here. Many of the world 's best women players play in the US league because they get PAID.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017

Its the Thailand game, hard to escape the negative press of that one.

They're paid like 3x the other teams. Women soccer is still pretty amateur in most of the world, except for the USA so they're definitely the one to beat.

Err, not really true. Best Paid team is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympique_Lyonnais_Féminin

To be honest, what makes Women's soccer strong in the US is Title IX with strong collegiate players (that attracts foreign talent as well).

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
User Warned: Use of Derogatory Ableist Language

America is irrelevant at sports? Wait, what? This has got to be the stupidest hot take I've read on this thread.

Name one other country which has the breadth of athletes the US does? You've said it yourself. USA generally finishes at the top of the table at the Olympics meaning it's got medalist in more sports than the majority of other developed countries. Tennis? Golf? Snow/skateboarding? Skiing?

Even sports where the US doesn't have much a history, like rugby, they are getting increasingly better.

Last edited:

kitress

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Being good is one thing, being arrogant and douchey about being good is another.
How are the US Women Team arrogant and douchey? They have behaved as reasonable role models to all the girls as far as I know. Also... before anybody mentions the Thailand team, no they are not an amateur team, you pitying them is even more shameful.

Oct 31, 2017

The world loves hating on the US. It's not just a women's soccer thing.

I hope the USMNT can one day win the World Cup just for the amount of salt that will flow.

Oct 25, 2017
Paying women a fair wage isn't backwards. Wow it's really worse than I thought.
So you're saying countries like England, Germany , Sweden, Norway, the Netherlands, France
( FYI: all the countries in the quarter finals of this tournament , just in case you're only here to start shit posting and have no interest in this sport or tourney, which I highly suspect that you are...)
have less equality for women than the US? Oookay then....