• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands is damn good, i think they have the ability to beat the USA if they make it it to the finals.

The defence has been spotty here and there. The Italians couldn't take advantage of it, and Japan exposed how bad it got at times. The Americans are quite frankly scary. I'm going to be fuming if Beerensteyn isn't started from here on out. I think attack wise the talent is there to take it to the US. The defence has to be better though.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
VAR was fine. The pen was a little soft, but it was still a pen as it was enough to stop her from hitting the ball.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Well I'm certainly rooting for whoever the USA play in the final. Trying to dis our culture, spy on us, make an amateur team cry by scoring 13 past them in a WC. Fuck them.

England were the usual England in a semi-final, nothing more to say there.

You disrespected them more. They are not amateurs...

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Whew, what a tense game. Agreed with all of the VAR decisions. Gotta bury your penalty kicks.

Onto the next.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
The defence has been spotty here and there. The Italians couldn't take advantage of it, and Japan exposed how bad it got at times. The Americans are quite frankly scary. I'm going to be fuming if Beerensteyn isn't started from here on out. I think attack wise the talent is there to take it to the US. The defence has to be better though.
Yeah If their Defense can hold I think Netherlands are the only team who can put 2 on US in this tournament, other than France.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Because what happens in the real world is teams have set penalty takers. Houghton is obviously the English peno taker

Except Houghton wasn't England's first choice penalty kicker, it was Parris. So if Parris is off because of her two saved penalties, why wouldn't you have White take the shot? Remember, two previous penalties were saved. So the strategy is to go with a defender rather than your most clinical finisher?

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
What??? The decisions that were reviewed were fine. Made perfect sense.

I didn't agree with the peno but the decision to use VAR there made perfect sense

So many complaints even outside of this tournament over VAR use. It's putting regular rules in question.

I think there is a place for it but it's been far from consistent in it's implementation and use.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except Houghton wasn't England's first choice penalty kicker, it was Parris. So if Parris is off because of her two saved penalties, why wouldn't you have White take the shot? Remember, two previous penalties were saved.

Cuz Houghton was obviously the second choice taker? Deputised to first cuz of the two missed penos

Every team decides peno takers before a game. Its rare it's a decision made on the pitch unless a team is up like 2 or 3 goals and someone is on a hattrick

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good managers usually put their best strikers on penalties.
Nah tbf it is based on consistency from the spot, there was a similar stink about Milner taking a kick off of Salah because of his role (though in that instance he scored as he does almost every time, so the decision to follow pecking order paid off). No matter your natural position, every player who plays professionally can score a penalty, not just strikers. But, point still stands that missing consistently throughout a tournament means some major rework needs on things like dedicated PK takers.

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
Because what happens in the real world is teams have set penalty takers. Houghton is obviously the English peno taker

You tend not to deviate from set takers just cuz someone else on the pitch scored

Actualy Parris is the penalty taker. Guessing you don't watch England women very much. Not being salty...but yeah okay I am.

Ganzlinger

Oct 27, 2017
Except Houghton wasn't England's first choice penalty kicker, it was Parris. So if Parris is off because of her two saved penalties, why wouldn't you have White take the shot? Remember, two previous penalties were saved. So the strategy is to go with a defender rather than your most clinical finisher?
Is White a penalty taker at her club? If she was good at penalties, she would have probably been chosen.

There were several defenders who were excellent penalty takers, like Fernando Hierro, even goalkeepers, liker Rogerio Ceni or José Chilavert. It's not about being a striker or not.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I wonder how long the US Side knew they would be without their best player today. Gutsy performance to come out and take care of business either way

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So many complaints even outside of this tournament over VAR use. It's putting regular rules in question.

I think there is a place for it but it's been far from consistent in it's implementation and use.

People will always complain about VAR. The fact its correct clear and obvious fuck ups is the only plus you need to see. If it misses some sure it misses them. Would have been missed anyways.

Getting any right call is better than getting all wrong calls

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
You disrespected them more. They are not amateurs...

Huh, we didn't disrespect anyone...?

Also I was talking about the Thailand game with regards to being amateurs, perhaps read what I posted a bit more carefully. The USA team are not a likeable bunch. The only thing likeable about them is how they hate trump.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018

Also I was talking about the Thailand game with regards to being amateurs, perhaps read what I posted a bit more carefully. The USA team are not a likeable bunch. The only thing likeable about them is how they hate trump.
Omg this post is amazing. He's talking about calling Thailand amateurs.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Good managers usually put their best strikers on penalties.
You know nothing about football! You treat it like all a penalty is about kicking a ball. There is so much too it, especially in a world cup semi final. Pressure, nerves, blocking out the crowd.

Also managers don't pick penalty takers. It's up to players to raise a hand and put themaelves forward.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah there would be nothing disrespectful about playing keep away for 30 minutes like they are playing against children

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know nothing about football! You treat it like all a penalty is about kicking a ball. There is so much too it, especially in a world cup semi final. Pressure, nerves, blocking out the crowd.

Also managers don't pick penalty takers. It's up to players to raise a hand and put themaelves forward.

Nah managers 100% pick peno takers

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Is White a penalty taker at her club? If she was good at penalties, she would have probably been chosen.

There were several defenders who were excellent penalty takers, like Fernando Hierro, even goalkeepers, liker Rogerio Ceni or José Chilavert. It's not about being a striker or not.

I know it's not about being a striker or a defender. But when you have two straight penalties saved on your team, and you're in a must score penalty shot moment, why wouldn't you take the chance on the most consistent scorer on your team? Look at how England set up at the end there when they were down to 10 players. They were willing to take the chance to equalise even if it meant risking conceding a third goal.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It was interesting to see the field open up with Rapinoe out, as much as she was missed (hopefully she's in for the cup). US showed that they're pretty damn deep, folks who subbed stepped up

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's not about being a striker or a defender. But when you have two straight penalties saved on your team, and you're in a must score penalty shot moment, why wouldn't you take the chance on the most consistent scorer on your team? Look at how England set up at the end there when they were down to 10 players. They were willing to take the chance to equalise even if it meant risking conceding a third goal.

Maybe cuz she's really shit at penos in training?

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
When the penalty was called I flashbacked to the Canada penalty where Beckie caused a horrible miss and the Swedish keeper blocked it. And it happened again. There have been so many PK saves this world cup.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah there would be nothing disrespectful about playing keep away for 30 minutes like they are playing against children

Yeah so beat them so heavily that it's a record and they get humiliated on the world stage as well. Not to mention how they were celebrating every one of those 13 goals.

Anyway, I don't know why I'm bothering to argue in a US-centric forum like this...

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I honestly think the only way people would like a talented US team is if they forfeited the tournament and denounced their country and citizenship. Otherwise it's the same old same old.