• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Can we agree that calling the French "white flag wavers" and claiming that the US "stole" the win are both shitty things to say?

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks. That should not be a handball by the spirit of the rule, but I have to say that handballs like that get called constantly. FIFA has a huge problem with this as it is not consistent.

Consistency is the most important thing with refereeing in any sport. This is what gets players and fans pissed at umpires in baseball. You have to be consistent.

I personally think this should not be a penalty but it is hard to argue that this isn't while the rest in the tourney were.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
The wording about handballs was changed earlier this year and went into effect on June 1st. Parts of the change were specifically done to make sure that plays like the one in the game today were not called handballs. From David Elleray, technical director of IFAB, the stewards of the rules of soccer:

Elleray says this is an effort to put an end to defenders placing their arms behind their backs in fear of giving away a free-kick.

"We've changed it to say the body has a certain silhouette," said Elleray. "If the arms are extended beyond that silhouette then the body is being made unnaturally bigger, with the purpose of it being a bigger barrier to the opponent or the ball.

"Players should be allowed to have their arms by their side because it's their natural silhouette."

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Can we agree that calling the French "white flag wavers" and claiming that the US "stole" the win are both shitty things to say?
One is typical sports salt, the other is shitty US jingoism that lowers the discussion. You're going to have the former in every sports thread, but we should avoid the latter.

kitress

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Her arm was outstretched to the back of her body, away from her profile that faced the pass, and changed the trajectory of a very dangerous pass. It was a textbook handball.
It's not textbook handball. She didn't open her arms to make herself larger. The movement of her arms was completely natural. To call it "textbook handball" is a load of crap.

Katsyo

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. That should not be a handball by the spirit of the rule, but I have to say that handballs like that get called constantly. FIFA has a huge problem with this as it is not consistent.

Consistency is the most important thing with refereeing in any sport. This is what gets players and fans pissed at umpires in baseball. You have to be consistent.

I personally think this should not be a penalty but it is hard to argue that this isn't while the rest in the tourney were.

Completely agree. Looking at some of the other penalty handballs given in this tournament prior it should have been a pen.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
One is typical sports salt, the other is shitty US jingoism that lowers the discussion. You're going to have the former in every sports thread, but we should avoid the latter.

I agree, but some of this "sports salt" about the US team has more than a bit of anti-U.S. bite to it.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
France cannot catch a break. FIFA screwed them with a stupid bracket in 2015 and fate screwed them this year with a poor draw.

Fistwell

Oct 26, 2017
Handball is racism? Lmao.
Check what you specifically quoted. Nice work
That's not racism. It's nationalism. This is why you all are always confused on this topic, isn't it?
Nationalism has a different meaning. Racism was the wrong label too. Stupid prejudice would be probably more correct. In any case, unexpectedly heinous development to the conversation, you guys have fun.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I had absolutely no idea so many people took actual offense to France "surrendering" banter. It was 80 years ago people... how can anyone let such a low hanging fruit type of jab upset them ? It's like calling all Americans gun nuts or fat and lazy or idk anything that is clearly so absurd that it's not meant to be taken seriously whatsoever

Fistwell

Oct 26, 2017
I had absolutely no idea so many people took actual offense to France "surrendering" banter. It was 80 years ago people... how can anyone let such a low hanging fruit type of jab upset them ? It's like calling all Americans gun nuts or fat and lazy or idk anything that is clearly so absurd that it's not meant to be taken seriously whatsoever
You re right. Insults and prejudice are fine. Glad we got that cleared out. Jeesus.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Is this sarcasm?

It's pretty obviously not a handball by this specific rule. People saying it should be are nuts.

Not really that clear. I see her hands behind her torso. I don't consider that positioning to be a natural silhouette, which would be hands besides the torso. It's pretty vague as far as filling goes.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Because those stereotypes were used again when France opposed the Iraq War.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
In any event, this was a hard-fought, well-deserved win.

GG France, I was nervous af the entire match. This should have been the final.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Where France failed, Phil Neville will succeed.

🦁🦁🦁

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Sweet lord what is wrong with some of you. No it's not ok to have shitty nationalist stereotypes. My point was you're letting someone wind you up over a football game by falling for lazy troll bait comments. Just take a breath. Also, you can't curse the USWNT to hell for calls not made and then act sanctimonious

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
It's pretty obviously not a handball by this specific rule. People saying it should be are nuts.
Feel like many of these people screaming handball watch soccer only every world cup. Just because the ball hits an arm doesn't mean it is handball. Read the rules, watch the play. Calling handball on that would have been an awful call.

I thought France would win and I do think they were overall the slightly stronger team but soccer doesn't always reward that in a single match setting. I think it was a huge mistake by Ellis to go 5-4-1 the last 25 minutes as they were just inviting pressure against a team that is incredible in the air. They got away with it though and US played solid. I think the US will beat England although the difference between the two is small.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Where France failed, Phil Neville will succeed.

🦁🦁🦁

I hope that game results in:

giphy.gif

And the one who staggers to their feet to win is so burned out for the finals, it's a cakewalk for us (if we make it hopefully).

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like many of these people screaming handball watch soccer only every world cup. Just because the ball hits an arm doesn't mean it is handball. Read the rules, watch the play. Calling handball on that would have been an awful call.

Handball have been an issue ever since VAR came into place, so not really.

Just look at PSG-Man U in the CL for exemple.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
One is a very arguable fact, the other is a nationalistic insult. Go figure which is which.
So, insults are fine because they are jokez?

Asator

Oct 27, 2017
Because it has been used unsarcastically (typically coupled with the words "cheese eating surrendering monkeys") since 2003 by people who were butthurt that France dared opposed the mighty USA over a war built on lies. It's not typical national banter, it actually has some racist roots to it.

Any objective look at France's military history will also show that it's also factually incorrect.