• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
This ref...

Cameroon left a bad taste in everyone's mouth with this display

painey

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand this sentiment. Besides the idiotic goalie moving off of the line early thing, VAR gets rid of uncertainty. Would you rather have a goal allowed that was clearly offside, or a clear penalty being missed, or as in the Dutch v Canada game a penalty given when the foul actually happened outside of the box?

Yes, absolutely. As far as I'm concerned there should be goal-line technology that is instant to the referee, and that's it. I've been a fan on the side of fucked up decisions (hand of god, lampards world cup goal, hundreds of offside decisions) and understand that it's just the rub of the green. Sometimes the decisions go for you, sometimes against, but it all averages out. There are already after-game punishments for things like off the ball incidents the refs don't see, and if the 4 officials on the pitch at the time miss something big then they should just get booted out (like they already have). The current system without VAR is absolutely fine to me. Soon we are heading to a state where we are checking VAR for foul throws in the middle of the pitch, or if the wall was 9.5 yards away from the free kick instead of 10. Turning into an American sport where we'll be stopping the clock soon enough.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Cameroon were their own worst enemies at times but otherwise a totally dominant performance from England; could've had more goals and limited Cameroon to 2 shots on-target.

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Refereeing might have been technically correct but wow it really points out that refs really need soft skills, game management and game reading training and abilities. And for sure, VAR is making this worse as I think players are completely losing respect for the field refs.

Oh, and if England doesn't play MUCH better, Norway will easily win the next match.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
So, Norway vs England? It has to be Norway, right? If England plays defensively as well as they did today.

That Cameroonian captain was a huge asshole.

Jul 19, 2018
I don't know. Var can easily be used to influence the team that doesn't have big pockets, a referee that is involved in betting controversy and/or racist agenda. I m sure this will not be the last we hear about this. If France was in the position of Cameroon, I don't believe that offside would have been called.

Absolute gibberish

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
if VAR is going to trigger constantly for offsides then i don't see a world where teams learn to abuse it by intentionally making them offsides by slowing down just a bit

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People need to seriously get over the fact that even marginal offside goals are always going to be ruled out from now on with VAR. Sure there's an argument to say it sucks, we'll be seeing less goals from now on, but for a decision like that for Cameroon's 'goal' it's either offside or onside and that goal definitely was offside. Acting petulantly or trying to manufacture some narrative that VAR is bad in an instance like that is embarrassing to be frank. It was similar for England mens recently in the Nations League, albeit that was just the fans and at least for them I can sympathise since FIFA *still* have not implemented adequate opportunities for fans to see the review as it's being made.

I think back to Sterling's nearly hat-trick goal vs Tottenham not too long ago and even though that was *the* moment that sent the whole stadium into raptures people accepted the VAR review because lo and behold it was a correct decision on a clear-cut offside. Similarly on the positive side of things I think back to several years ago when Everton were playing Arsenal at home and Drenthe (remember him?) had a goal ruled out for offside even though he was plainly onside by like a mile. Like with goaline technology eliminating the possibility of a Lampard v Germany travesty ever happening again we can be thankful that similar terrible decisions are now not going to happen so we should be positive about that and not constantly complaining literally every single time a goal is ruled out through VAR.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
yeah i know but this time you can 100% guarantee it'll be called b/c of the VAR ref's. the abuse is the consistency of it
That is absolute bs. The risk of that strategy is (and should be) that you allow your opponent a free run to the goal if you fuck it up. If the defending team did it correctly then they should be rewarded, not penalized. What am I even reading?

Oct 27, 2017
The referee needs to be disciplined. She should not officiate at this tournament again. Everyone makes mistakes but her performance was dreadful. It's not even the individual errors that are most concerning but her lack of control of the game is unforgivable. She allowed Cameroon to berate her, hold up play and generally bring the game into disrepute.