• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
blog.playstation.com

FIFA 21 on PS5: First gameplay details

Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers on the DualSense wireless controller make every match feel even more real. Out December 4 on PS5.

The adaptive triggers on the DualSense controller also allow us to increase trigger resistance as stamina drains, meaning you'll feel the effects of players' tiredness as their fitness decreases throughout the game. This is only available on PS5, and we're excited for you to feel the difference the DualSense makes to FIFA 21, immersing you into the intensity of a match in ways that weren't possible before.

Also exclusive to PS5 players is Activity Cards which let you jump to your favourite mode directly from the PlayStation home screen. Combined with the lightning fast load times provided by the power of PS5 you'll be able to get into matches quicker than ever before. We're clocking in at under two seconds from the pre-game menu to a Kick-Off match. Sorry, pre-game practice arena fans!

More in the article. Sounds like they've actually put some effort into a first release of Fifa on next gen in fairness to EA

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Fingers crossed...Even though my beloved isn't licensed.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I have to say I wasn't expecting a Jay Electronica song for a trailer.

EDIT: And as expected, MP games will have the simplest but probably most effective use of activity cards:
Also exclusive to PS5 players is Activity Cards which let you jump to your favourite mode directly from the PlayStation home screen. Combined with the lightning fast load times provided by the power of PS5 you'll be able to get into matches quicker than ever before. We're clocking in at under two seconds from the pre-game menu to a Kick-Off match. Sorry, pre-game practice arena fans!

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I just want to see a match played. Why is it so hard to show that one week before release? Especially if you're praising your new gameplay camera, the "EA Sports GameCam", just show it to me, please.

OP
OP
Tora

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
I just want to see a match played. Why is it so hard to show that one week before release? Especially if you're praising your new gameplay camera, the "EA Sports GameCam", just show it to me, please.
All of this sounds really cool, but yeah we actually need to see it in action

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much all I want. Don't care for all the talk about the controller when I can't just see what I'm going to be playing for seemingly days on end.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Hope they nail the dual sense support, I mean this is EA we're talking about. The controller could legit be the reason for people choosing one version over the other.

OP
OP
Tora

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
I hope that activities is implemented in all upcoming games, even if it's as basic as just loading a save file, I think that's good enough.

With FIFA, having cards for kick off, FUT, Seasons and Pro clubs would be dope

What Spiderman does is amazing but it's to be expected for a first party.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
The example they give doesn't actually sound that great use of it, IMO, and I imagine will get turned off sharpish.

What would be good is if they convey shot power/pitch etc somehow although this would need a conplete re think of their control scheme.

MasteroFlich

Banned
Jun 15, 2020
sounds awesome.
I wish they manage to make the moment you shoot senseable ... but since most shot with the x-o buttons is a bit tricky i guess.

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The example they give doesn't actually sound that great use of it, IMO, and I imagine will get turned off sharpish.

What would be good is if they convey shot power/pitch etc somehow although this would need a conplete re think of their control scheme.

Damn, shooting with R2 may be unusual, but translating the feeling of your feet hitting the football can be potentially most important change in football games since independent ball physics.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I almost want to buy it on sale now for ps4 but I swear I read people say fifa has sucked for years now so I'm afraid.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
That 'activity cards' idea is really smart. Is this something supported in most games? I don't play Fifa, but in Madden & NBA 2K I basically only play the franchise modes and would love to be able to jump right into it. With Quick Resume it's not really a problem because if I leave off on franchise mode, I'll start back up in Franchise mode. ... but I also suspect there will be some issues w/ EA network connectivity blocking that an forcing you back to the game's title screen.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Definitely getting this on PS5 (my friends are there) but can't imagine Dualsense would add anything significant to the game, tbh.

All I'm interested in seeing is the load times and how much the game has been improved visually.

It is true there's no crossgen play?

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
You can buy this and Madden for $28 bucks at Best Buy right now and you get the free next gen upgrade which comes out next week. I just did it, looks pretty good.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Annoying they are showing "in engine footage" instead of the damn game 11 days before launch.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
Looks fucking incredible, holy fuck. I'm gonna buy a FIFA game first time since 14.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up the XB1 version a few days ago for ÂŁ30 with the free next gen upgrade, I figured I can get ÂŁ30 of fun out of this.

Strange they aren't showing any gameplay a week or so from release though, as others have said. Why not? Is there an issue with it? If not, why the secrecy?

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Picked up the XB1 version a few days ago for ÂŁ30 with the free next gen upgrade, I figured I can get ÂŁ30 of fun out of this.

Strange they aren't showing any gameplay a week or so from release though, as others have said. Why not? Is there an issue with it? If not, why the secrecy?

I assume the marketing falls away when they pull back the camera to the distance everyone uses and shockingly reveal that it sure looks like another FIFA game.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017

I presume it is borderline identical. Or not very next gen at all, apart from some sweat.

I'm sure there are great uses for the adaptive triggers but their description of how they're integrated here is my exact nightmare scenario from when they announced them. It is absolutely not a good idea to obstruct the player's ability to implement their decision making because their virtual character is tired. Sports games are about immediacy of thought and action, a physical barrier to this is dumb.

Moai

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chile
this is typical ea marketing and it almost always ends up being like every fifa with minimal upgrades. I believe it when i see it and played it.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its weird they have waited so long to discuss the next gen versions of these games (fifa and madden) hope they arent coming in too hot

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
So happy to see all the DualSense and activity card support. The controller is truly wonderful. Activity cards are quick and fun to use. Especially the helpful videos.

Wakka212

Oct 30, 2017
Dualsense and activity cards on a franchise like FIFA? And then also the Siege news? Promising for the PS5 feature support. Mainly missing game help haha

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
I play a lot of Fifa and I really hope the trigger adaptiveness can be turned off. It's cool, but I have a bad feeling it could be quite a sore when you're playing ten games in a row.
Can't wait to see the game in action though.

mancan

Banned
Mar 29, 2018
How can you show no gameplay for your first next gen game. Who cares about adaptive triggers for fifa? If anything it will make things more annoying