• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Folie

Dec 16, 2017
I keep waiting to return to Fifa but it looks like Rocket League will tide me over for another year

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
How does this game gets a pass with so many reviewers? Are journalists scared to piss off EA or something?
Yeah they're all absolutely pissing themselves at the thought of EA getting mad. /s

Come on it's not a conspiracy fifa is actually a pretty good football game at its core and has been for awhile now. The only problem is they never make all the changes people want or think should happen so it gets shit on.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Is Fifa still using Frostbite? Seems the engine has run its course and its time to do something new with the popular EA series

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they're all absolutely pissing themselves at the thought of EA getting mad. /s

Come on it's not a conspiracy fifa is actually a pretty good football game at its core and has been for awhile now. The only problem is they never make all the changes people want or think should happen so it gets shit on.

Lol
I understand is good. The core is solid. However, doesn't get old and no longer gets a pass when fans are irritated with the lack of changes many have been requesting for years?

Dec 28, 2017
I see some complaints about the game being the same as last year. Big surprise, football never change radically from one year to the next year. Is hard for Konami and Ea to do something revolutionary because the football remain the same for the past decades. I think both games are solid and demos doesn't reflect the final product. Fifa 20 being better in final version, same for Pes 2020.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
I see some complaints about the game being the same as last year. Big surprise, football never change radically from one year to the next year. Is hard for Konami and Ea to do something revolutionary because the football remain the same for the past decades. I think both games are solid and demos doesn't reflect the final product. Fifa 20 being better in final version, same for Pes 2020.
Then don't charge full price for it? Or just release a DLC to update the player roster on FIfa 19.

I'm guessing thats where the complaints stem from...

Oct 26, 2017
Then don't charge full price for it? Or just release a DLC to update the player roster on FIfa 19.

I'm guessing thats where the complaints stem from...

lol

That's not how things work, they spend a fuckton of money every year to make face scans, licensing fees clubs, music, stadiums and leagues.
EA Romania and Vancouver are working on the series every year.
They can't release a 20-30 bucks DLC to update the player roster and call it a day.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
lol

That's not how things work, they spend a fuckton of money every year to make face scans, licensing fees clubs, music, stadiums and leagues.
They can't release a 20-30 bucks DLC to update the player roster and call it a day.
They could and should honestly considering the amount of money they make off MTX like most free to play games that get their revenue from microtransactions.

Prattle

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I believe they need to re-invent FIFA soon or at least make it fresh again, it's a miracle they managed to do these yearly with small changes every time.

It needs to be reinvented with the immediacy of Rocket League.

Players need to feel involved and in control rather than just triggering a bunch of animations in the hope of passing to the player you want to.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
lol

lol

But that doesn't change my point. My point was that's probably where the complaints stem from. That's why it feel like its the same game each year. Because it basically is.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The demo basically makes it feel like they've lobotomised the AI and is a significantly worse game than FIFA 19. I wish I could actually read these reviews with any faith that the writers have a clue what they're talking about so I can find out if that's changed for the full release.
Yep. And the monetization.

Scorch

Oct 28, 2017
California
Volta really should have online co-op. I think that will definitely be in next year's at least.

I didn't play a whole ton of 19 and am thinking of sitting out this time around. Or I might just wait until there's a sale.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I dont play Fifa games but how are reviews so consistently great if they are seemingly getting worse and everyone that plays them are always negative about the product. Seems really sketch.

Moksha

Jan 29, 2019
Seems like Volta is not a reason to pick this up. A shame, as I was hoping for a FIFA Street comeback for years now.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I buy the games interspersed, 1 year Fifa the other year pes and so on
And last year pes already dissapointe me and this year apparently gonna be the same with fifa
This is gonna be my last soccer game until one of both made real changes

Mr_Mondee

Nov 23, 2017
I'm so disappointed with Fifa 20. Maybe i was expecting too much from EA but career mode is the same old thing with player chats and interview/press conference.

I have also played VOLTA and in my opinion it just doesn't work. Playing in small arenas with balls bouncing off walls etc, just shows Fifa's issues even more.
The VOLTA story is also trash!

I guess another year without a football game as i have no interest in UT.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Not to deviate from the reviews related discussion, but it's disappointing to see no major graphical upgrades to the game this gen from fifa series. The kinda leap we got from Fifa07 to fifa 08(PS3/Xbox360) is missing this gen. Here's hoping Fifa 21 on PS5/Xbox Next Gen raises the bar.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I was just yesterday looking into PES reviews, seems like both football games are a bit of a downer this year, aside from still being competent obviously.

Gonna wait for the PES F2P version.
I tried the PES demo and it plays really well, even better than last year. But when it comes to new game modes, innovation... they are stagnant. Fifa got Volta but honestly that kinda sucks from what Ive seen.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
I tried the PES demo and it plays really well, even better than last year. But when it comes to new game modes, innovation... they are stagnant. Fifa got Volta but honestly that kinda sucks from what Ive seen.
Apparently the demo/full version switcheroo is at play again with a few good changes and a few bad changes, so that I am unsure how much I can trust the demo impressions. I put about 2 hours into researching several opinions, that was a good video on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKqrEKjY-IA

So yeah... I'll just wait for the free version for my yearly footie fix.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Apparently the demo/full version switcheroo is at play again with a few good changes and a few bad changes, so that I am unsure how much I can trust the demo impressions.

So yeah... I'll just wait for the free version for my yearly footie fix.
I got 2 PES day one, then I just decided to wait for the free version (or a 15 euro sale, whatever comes first). Konami fucking sucks, another year has come and again its September and they still have lineups from JANUARY for Brazilian teams, including some partners that are supposed to get better treatment. They dont take their game seriously, why would I?

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm surprised EA haven't opted to go down the GAAS route with FIFA. Charge a yearly or monthly subscription rather than a full price retail purchase every year. It's just one game that constantly evolves along with the season. Have people ponying up cash regularly rather than once a year..? Sorry everyone, lol.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised EA haven't opted to go down the GAAS route with FIFA. Charge a yearly or monthly subscription rather than a full price retail purchase every year. It's just one game that constantly evolves along with the season. Have people ponying up cash regularly rather than once a year..? Sorry everyone, lol.
They already have EA Access Premier.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
The demo basically makes it feel like they've lobotomised the AI and is a significantly worse game than FIFA 19. I wish I could actually read these reviews with any faith that the writers have a clue what they're talking about so I can find out if that's changed for the full release.

FIFA:
maxresdefault.jpg

AI assisted defending is dead and you guys better not pester EA about it.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
FIFA: AI assisted defending is dead and you guys better not pester EA about it.

Don't worry my days of pestering EA are done (I used to be a Game Changer and wrote a lot about FIFAs issues). So long as you're generally aware that they'll be undoing this mistake in patches and future iterations of the game because it clearly makes it a worse football game.

For what it's worth, it's hilarious to watch people complain about 'assisted defending' despite the entire attacking portion of the game revolving around assisted passing, assisted crossing and assisted shooting, all of which are shitty, broken and overpowered. I've always been a huge proponent of users having more control over the game, but the way they're going about it with FIFA 20 does not deliver a better game, at least going by the demo.

The problem with what EA has done is quite simple. They have neutered the defensive AI's ability to defend, which is fine, but they have not allowed the user to make up for that. They should have introduced more defensive controls that allowed you to influence the way your team and teammates are defending. As they have not they have a defensive system which is completely contradictory to reality, hugely individualistic rather than oriented around team structure and coordination. As much as you may like it in theory, defending doesn't feel much more skill based in FIFA 20 than it did in FIFA 19 - it's as hard to make a positive difference when defending as it was before.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
Played a fair bit of the early access.
As default it's about as rough as the demo, changing the game speed to slow doesn't help much but going even further and turning down the speed related sliders, especially passing speed helps a lot to get an actual decent game of football going.

Basically the typical FIFA release, EA shit it out and the players and communities are left to try and fix it. The Bethesda model if you will.

What really needs to be patched is the animations, a lot of them seem to be on 2x speed and it looks jarring as hell.
Combine the typical FIFA being able to do about 20 stepovers in a split second with the animation speed and it's comical.

The customisation in Career mode and Volta are great and a big step up from before. Not deep enough into the modes yet to see if they're any good.

Volta matches seem better when it's not 3 v 3 like the demo, still doesn't hold a candle to FIFA Street though.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'm still playing FIFA 14 (lol). I was interested about 20 for the FIFA street mode. Guess that's not enough?

FeD

Oct 25, 2017

You must not have heard of Ultimate Team. Because with FIFA EA has both those things. Literally people paying 60 euros a year (if not more because of the deluxe edition FUT extras) to spend a fortune on virtual packs.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Honest question, I haven't played Fifa in a very long time and want to get back into it a bit.
Which of the previous games would you say was the best, as I'm finding it hard to splas full price on the new one while not knowing if I'd still enjoy it like I used to.

What are you looking for?

I actually don't play sports games, but enjoyed the story modes in the last few games a lot.

Oct 28, 2017
Well I went ahead and tried the demo. Fifa sure has changed in 11 years! I am so lost I do not know how to play this. Thankfully the default AI is terrible so I can still win anyway but oh my I find this difficult to play. Will the full game have a decent tutorial? Having a lot of trouble figuring out defending, and this shot system feels very strange. I'm supposed to do a second tap of the shot button at the right time to make it a perfect shot, but I'm not really sure about the timing and there doesn't appear to be an on screen indicator to help?

Skelatix

Oct 28, 2017
South Africa
What are you looking for?

I actually don't play sports games, but enjoyed the story modes in the last few games a lot.
I remember enjoying the manager/player mode not sure what it was called exactly as it had enough manager-ing combined with playing every match.
I tried doing the Football Manager game and gave up after spending almost 2 hours in sheets no being sure which way the gameplay was.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Don't worry my days of pestering EA are done (I used to be a Game Changer and wrote a lot about FIFAs issues). So long as you're generally aware that they'll be undoing this mistake in patches and future iterations of the game because it clearly makes it a worse football game.

For what it's worth, it's hilarious to watch people complain about 'assisted defending' despite the entire attacking portion of the game revolving around assisted passing, assisted crossing and assisted shooting, all of which are shitty, broken and overpowered. I've always been a huge proponent of users having more control over the game, but the way they're going about it with FIFA 20 does not deliver a better game, at least going by the demo.

The problem with what EA has done is quite simple. They have neutered the defensive AI's ability to defend, which is fine, but they have not allowed the user to make up for that. They should have introduced more defensive controls that allowed you to influence the way your team and teammates are defending. As they have not they have a defensive system which is completely contradictory to reality, hugely individualistic rather than oriented around team structure and coordination. As much as you may like it in theory, defending doesn't feel much more skill based in FIFA 20 than it did in FIFA 19 - it's as hard to make a positive difference when defending as it was before.

I've only played a couple games on the 10hr trial, But yeah I cant really disagree on any of this until I play more. Right now I'm winning well by being very aggressive with my CBs interceptions which definitely wouldn't have worked last year. And tbf, player switching hasn't really improved with the nerf in AI defending.

Fair points on the fact that they really haven't added to the defensive controls. It could creep up on me when the pace of the game naturally increases with time (as players will acquire faster players with better passing), but right now I'm not seeing it.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I remember enjoying the manager/player mode not sure what it was called exactly as it had enough manager-ing combined with playing every match.
I tried doing the Football Manager game and gave up after spending almost 2 hours in sheets no being sure which way the gameplay was.

The later FIFAs have The Journey. 17, 18 and 19 are part of the same story trilogy. It was actually nicely done and fun to play through.
Has some choices and consequences and all that fun stuff. :D

I haven't tried any other modes in FIFA, to be honest with you, don't really play sports games.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Well I went ahead and tried the demo. Fifa sure has changed in 11 years! I am so lost I do not know how to play this. Thankfully the default AI is terrible so I can still win anyway but oh my I find this difficult to play. Will the full game have a decent tutorial? Having a lot of trouble figuring out defending, and this shot system feels very strange. I'm supposed to do a second tap of the shot button at the right time to make it a perfect shot, but I'm not really sure about the timing and there doesn't appear to be an on screen indicator to help?
If there's one thing FIFA's good at is tutorials. Or at the very least, control options for the player.

Probably the easiest sports game to pick up for someone that hasn't ever played one. There are tutorials in the loading screens of each match, and the full game has them all, free to use, in the menu. Also, there's something called FIFA Trainer, which is a contextual control help system that works during matches.

The double tap thing is kinda weird, because it depends on the shooting animation you get. The idea is that you should make the second tap more or less when the contact with the ball is made.

Skelatix

Oct 28, 2017
South Africa
The later FIFAs have The Journey. 17, 18 and 19 are part of the same story trilogy. It was actually nicely done and fun to play through.
Has some choices and consequences and all that fun stuff. :D

I haven't tried any other modes in FIFA, to be honest with you, don't really play sports games.
Thanks a lot! That actually looks really interesting. Guess I'm starting at 17 then.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Much like every other year, will be picking up soon and will be playing the shit out of Volta.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
What? PES is absolutely fantastic this year.
Most of the criticism about it are levelled at the additions and improvements outside of the gameplay loop which seem far too little. The Ultimate Team style mode barely got any additions, the Master League only improved visually and added a few cutscenes, there simply hasnt been any relevant improvement, even if I am absolutely sure that the gameplay is as good as it always was.

I am hugely looking forward to playing it, but adding a minor online mode, a roster update, a few cutscenes and a few UI improvements isnt really cutting it for 60$ on release.

On the other hand, Fifa tried to implement a full fledged new mode and keeps improving Ultimate Team with cool stuff to do, but the gameplay is still garbage, sooooo...

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Me and my mate are hating it, we play FIFA loads every year and for some reason, this year, the AI have been lobotomized.