• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Like, maybe take a breather and read my posts again?
Lmfao it's the same logic that makes the aggregated user-review score useless as a means to gauge the quality of a game.

Game quality doesn't stay stagnant. Standards get higher with time. If the exact same game exists from last year for way cheaper and newer versions of soccer with improvements exist this year, a game that was a 71% last year isn't magically a 71% this year.

Reviews don't exist in vacuum. If a game offers a terrible value, it's not entitled to a good score. People are paying money for it.

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
The first time i see a score like this and geniuenly don't think is review bombing, just the score the game deserves.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Deserves it imo. I've played 9 hours of the EA Access trial and career mode (my main interest) is fucked, with terrible additions such as pre/post-match interviews (really no point in adding those), training is still the shitty 5 players max, per week, still too many weird game schedules, big teams not playing their best players, Man City and Liverpool propping up the league after 12 games with 0 wins...

It's still enjoyable enough on the pitch, but really not much of a leap over the previous games, and still behind PES.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
EA does not care about NSW version and the users dont care as well.

Not a big issue, FIFA will sell the usual 15-20 million copies every year.

Fifa fans who own a switch do care.

There was a lot of discussion everywhere monitoring commenting on what EA was doing with the first game and they were largely satisfied.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Deserves it imo. I've played 9 hours of the EA Access trial and career mode (my main interest) is fucked, with terrible additions such as pre/post-match interviews (really no point in adding those), training is still the shitty 5 players max, per week, still too many weird game schedules, big teams not playing their best players, Man City and Liverpool propping up the league after 12 games with 0 wins...

It's still enjoyable enough on the pitch, but really not much of a leap over the previous games, and still behind PES.
The F1 games have these for the story mode and they're a complete waste of time. I really don't get the point of them.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
FYI, this backlash is likely due to EA releasing FIFA 20 with massive bugs in career mode that actually affect gameplay.

EA has acknowledged the bugs, that there will be a patch.....but not anytime soon cause they already planned out the patch releases lol.

Thanks EA.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd ask for my dev kits back and send them to an in-need indie studio that gives a shit.

I don't like soccer, but I'd prefer Nintendo cut Konami a check and have them develop PES like the Wii games. I actually enjoyed those, as they had that control setup that made them play like an RTS.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like this turns user scores into the joke they are now. It's definitely a disappointing product by all means but when most of the 0s and 1s come from people who have never even considered buying the game it just becomes futile.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory Point of Comparison; Accumulated Infractions

Last edited:

TurdFerguson

Oct 28, 2017
Norway
perhaps they're making the clear distinction that the game isn't 'a piece of shit'? It's a poor value for folks who already own fifa 19 on Switch, but as a stand-alone bit of software, it delivers a pretty good game of football.

most of EA's games run on Frostbite. Nintendo made the choice to release a relatively weak console, ensuring a Frostbite port would be no trivial task.

perhaps Nintendo should work with EA to help smoothen a Frostbite port to Switch

This is a good point, but they did make it work with FIFA, rolling it back to the previous engine. This, of course, is more work, and I would never expect them to port games like Battlefield or Anthem over to different engines in order to make them work on Switch. However, it's clearly feasible with their sports games. And also, they have a ton of legacy games that potentially could be ported. I would gladly pick up a Mass Effect or Dead Space collection.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
You know, there used to be a time where I loved EA. They came with new exciting franchises (Mirrors Edge, Dead Space, Black) and reinvented existing ones (Medal of Honor Airborne, Burnout). They supported platforms more equally (just look at their amazing PSP output) and they did not have to ask my money from me - they just got it. Even if the game was mediocre, I respected the effort (Army of Two).

This product is poop and straight up evil and dishonest. It deserves every shit score it gets. I cant wait for the day this company goes out of business because the leadership is rotten.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
You know, there used to be a time where I loved EA. They came with new exciting franchises (Mirrors Edge, Dead Space, Black) and reinvented existing ones (Medal of Honor Airborne, Burnout). They supported platforms more equally (just look at their amazing PSP output) and they did not have to ask my money from me - they just got it. Even if the game was mediocre, I respected the effort (Army of Two).

This product is poop and straight up evil and dishonest. It deserves every shit score it gets. I cant wait for the day this company goes out of business because the leadership is rotten.

Dishonest? Nonsense.
EA has been perfectly clear since day one that this was a legacy edition. The retail box art also has the 'legacy edition' branding on the box. Buyers are told what they're getting into.

as a stand-alone game, it plays a very good game of football. Of course it wont be on par with the PS4 and Xbox One versions, but that too has been clearly communicated.

Don't let your emotions becloud logic here.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
This is a good point, but they did make it work with FIFA, rolling it back to the previous engine. This, of course, is more work, and I would never expect them to port games like Battlefield or Anthem over to different engines in order to make them work on Switch. However, it's clearly feasible with their sports games. And also, they have a ton of legacy games that potentially could be ported. I would gladly pick up a Mass Effect or Dead Space collection.

EA could port Frostbite to the Switch if they wanted too. They just dont want too.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
EA could port Frostbite to the Switch if they wanted too. They just dont want too.

It is rumored that they're working on it already.

It's clearly not ready yet. Explains why the latest Garden Warfare isn't coming out on Switch.

of course, it'd probably help if Nintendo sent engineers over to help out. Sony and Microsoft have a track record of devoting in house software teams to helping 3rd parties deliver on their platforms. Perhaps nintendo could chip in?

Sucks for Switch owners, but there's really nothing Else that makes sense for EA to do except perhaps to tweak the pricing to adjust for the smaller content

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dishonest? Nonsense.
EA has been perfectly clear since day one that this was a legacy edition. The retail box art also has the 'legacy edition' branding on the box. Buyers are told what they're getting into.

as a stand-alone game, it plays a very good game of football. Of course it wont be on par with the PS4 and Xbox One versions, but that too has been clearly communicated.

Don't let your emotions becloud logic here.

Yeah, this has been going for long. There's legacy editions on old consoles long after those consoles were subbed by newer, more powerful ones. If anything, Legacy Edition games could cost a lot less, but they already launch at a lower price to begin with, even if not by much (I think in Italy the X1/PS4 version debuted at 70 EUR whereas the Switch version cost 60 EUR). It's not a secret these Legacy Editions are basically roster updates. Obviously consumers have the right to punish the product for it, but acting dumb as it wasn't a known thing and spamming the game with 0s without even buying it is kinda childish.

Pogogacy

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
This is one of the instances where being a closed platform should matter. I mean, Nintendo shouldn't allow for a game like this to be published as a $50 standalone release.

Because of course Nintendo would never allow an old game to be released for $50 on their console.

And they absolutely definitely would never release their own old games and charge full price for them would they. No sir, not a bit of it.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
down to 0.1

screenshot2019-09-30aklk25.png

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So if I were to buy a fifa on switch, I should just stick with a very cheap used copy of Fifa 19? Or even 18?

TurdFerguson

Oct 28, 2017
Norway

It's probably true that they technically could port Frostbite to Switch, but if they haven't done it by now, I doubt they ever will. And even if they ported the engine, I would imagine it would be a huge challenge to get games like Battlefield and Anthem to run on the Switch. Even if we keep in mind awesome feats like the Switch port of The Witcher 3.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the jokes about the first FIFA Switch being the legacy edition, looks like reality surpassed fiction.
It's incredibly how 3rd party just don't care about the Switch despite being the best selling console every month of this year, just like with the Wii, Nintendo can never win.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

Thanks for wishing that 10,000+ people lose their jobs. I really appreciate your warm comment.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

I personally don't believe this rumour at all. The time to port frostbite isn't a year and a bit out from next gen when you're going to be adding another 2 skus to your production pipeline on all your titles. If they have 0 frostbite titles ready for this year, it would make no sense to start putting them out right at the transition of a generation.

It's clearly not ready yet. Explains why the latest Garden Warfare isn't coming out on Switch.

If EA wanted Garden Warfare 3 on the Switch they would have made the necessary adjustments or concessions to get it out.

of course, it'd probably help if Nintendo sent engineers over to help out. Sony and Microsoft have a track record of devoting in house software teams to helping 3rd parties deliver on their platforms. Perhaps nintendo could chip in?

Sucks for Switch owners, but there's really nothing Else that makes sense for EA to do except perhaps to tweak the pricing to adjust for the smaller content

It would have made sense to port Frostbite starting at Fifa 18. This whole "their hands are tied" story is bullshit. EA is in this position because they chose to be in this position because they dont want to support the Switch (which is fine, they dont have any obligation to support any system).

The shit reviews for Fifa 20 are deserved based on the product they are putting out. They should release a better product if they want better coverage.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EA pull so much crap with their annual FIFA fuckery, every year I hope it'll bite them in the ass. I fear it'll still sell millions and we will be here next year with more bullshit

The FIFA release is a religious event around the world, EA will be selling millions no matter what they do

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
EA only cares about Ultimate Team and guess that didn't bring in enough money on the Switch because the audience is simply not there.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fifa fans who own a switch do care.

There was a lot of discussion everywhere monitoring commenting on what EA was doing with the first game and they were largely satisfied.
If you cared about Fifa, or most games of its caliber, you already owned a device capable of playing it.

I remember the jokes about the first FIFA Switch being the legacy edition, looks like reality surpassed fiction.
It's incredibly how 3rd party just don't care about the Switch despite being the best selling console every month of this year, just like with the Wii, Nintendo can never win.
If you refuse to acknowledge the circumstances that led to poor support on the wii then im not surprise you're not seeing many of the same issues with the Switch.

At this point in the generation, do you at least understand that many developers have already turned their focus to next gen? That's something that's affecting output on all platforms. Its not some anti nintendo conspiracy that devs would want to prepare for hardware from companies that sold more than Switch. Switch should have been pulling those numbers back in 2013.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
As much as it pleases me to see a lazy update bomb, I worry that EA will blame the dev team and start laying people off.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
EA only cares about Ultimate Team and guess that didn't bring in enough money on the Switch because the audience is simply not there.
They never tried with FUT on Switch, it was half arsed from the beginning, you couldn't even access the FUT app for the Switch version. They even advertised FUT events on the Switch version, that would never actually happen and were only available on other versions

SBCs were impossible to do because there was around 50,000 players on the transfer market at any given time, whereas the PS4/XB1 version has millions. Any player on the market that could be used in a current SBC just had their price hiked to stupid coins, that you could never make because of no FUT Draft, Weekend League or an active market that trade on