• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Mondee

Nov 23, 2017
I can't believe we're arguing about a driver doing a bit of a squeeze. Bottas really is the bitch eating crackers.
It's not the bit of a squeeze that is important. It's the fact that he moves "late" at those kind of speeds in a very narrow track. Where you in Russell's position you would have been pissed and also spooked about it.

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Homophobic language
Russell can suck a dick for criticizing Bottas after a crash as severe as that honestly. Dude hasn't even gotten his breath back

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Hamilton's error looked a bit dumb, but it got me thinking and I legit can't remember such an unforced error from him for years. Ever since Rosberg left it feels like Lewis has been pretty much perfect. Absolute machine.

The good news is that this gives Ferrari a chance 👀 Brot
It was an error but I need to see how much room (if at all) Russell gave to Lewis going into Tosa (turn 7) before he planed off into the gravel.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not the bit of a squeeze that is important. It's the fact that he moves "late" at those kind of speeds in a very narrow track. Where you in Russell's position you would have been pissed and also spooked about it.
None of the replays support the idea that Bottas made a significant enough move and left Russel with no viable space. Russel's onboard in particular shows more than enough for his rear to not hit the grass.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or maybe you accept the risk, and have the talent, when overtaking on the outside at the entry to a corner on slicks where there's wet all around?

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hamilton's error looked a bit dumb, but it got me thinking and I legit can't remember such an unforced error from him for years. Ever since Rosberg left it feels like Lewis has been pretty much perfect. Absolute machine.

Germany. Went off in Bahrain too.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
That happened because Russell went onto the grass. He didn't deliberately turn in on Bottas. And if you look at Bottas line he definitely veers further right than he should have done if he knew Russell was coming up the way he was. Whether he knew that or not is up for debate. If he did know that then Bottas basically tried to block him and that's what lead to Russell going into the grass which caused the accident.
Look at this still fron onboard Russell:

russellbottaso2kmb.png

This is a frame or two before he is on the grass, you can clearly see:
a) Bottas is keeping left, he's only half on the dry patch racing line. He's in no way "veering right"
b) there's a huuuuge gap between the cars as far as wheel-to-wheel F1 racing is concerned.

Mr_Mondee

Nov 23, 2017
None of the replays support the idea that Bottas made a significant enough move and left Russel with no viable space. Russel's onboard in particular shows more than enough for his rear to not hit the grass.
You can clearly see from onboard that Bottas was left and veered slightly right as Russell was approaching. At that speed that a matter of milliseconds. Also if you pay attention it wasn't the rear but the right front that touched the grass. George got spoked and corrected and dipped a wheel. This isn't 100% Russell's fault at all

Oct 28, 2017

russellbottaso2kmb.png

a) Bottas is keeping left, he's only half on the dry patch racing line. He's in no way "veering right"
b) there's a huuuuge gap between the cars as far as wheel-to-wheel F1 racing is concerned.
This is when Bottas has stopped swerving right and is heading left again. Misleading. You can see it on Kimi's onboard.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

russellbottaso2kmb.png

Look at that squeeze. So unfair!

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020

That wet race in Germany maybe?

kharma45

Oct 26, 2017

russellbottaso2kmb.png

tbf you can't prove either way if someone veered from a still.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Bottas's car twitched on the wet/dry threshold and Russell reacted instantaneously to it, not being completely aware of the wet grass/line on the right.

Racing incident.

yeah this is how I read it as well. It does look like bottas car twitches. I also kinda think given the conditions, bottas would have known George had a run on him, that movement across may have caused an incident. I don't know it George could have backed out of it. In dry conditions both would have got away with it. Probably.

dakun

Oct 28, 2017

russellbottaso2kmb.png

a still frame doesn't do it justice though at those speeds. russel fully expected Bottas to stay on the left (which i think he should've) and he didn't which made him overcorrect and run into a bit of grass. nobody is faultless here.

Oct 27, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland

russellbottaso2kmb.png

if someone throws a fist at you out of nowhere but doesn't actually hit you, you're still gonna flinch.

this is a still photo of the moment when the fist is closest to your face.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
bot was left, he moved a fraction right on the bend and at full speed its not a shock that russel also moved right and caught the grass.

Deleted member 73234

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2020

russellbottaso2kmb.png

Jesus, look at how much space Russell has there. I get that people have a disappointment-boner for Bottas, but he is in no way to blame for this incident.

Qronicle

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium
Seems like a lot of you are ignoring the fact that this happens in a kink to the left, Bottas did definitely not stay on the inside line.
Still a racing incident though, and I imagine Russel would not have slapped bottas on the helmet if he wasn't greeted by the finger and probably some other words.

Status
Not open for further replies.