• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Red Bull will eventually turn into a Honda works team in the same way Benetton became Renault.

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): Posting in bad faith, trolling the community, long history of similar behavior.
Honda are pulling out of F1 after 2020, there's soon to be a meeting in Japan to seal the deal, also their long time F1 / motorsport advisor recently passed away. The plug is getting yanked.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO if that Honda rumor is correct. Red Bull were supplied by Renault for years, won 4 titles with them, bitched at them 24/7 only for them to finally partner on a works status and it last two years.

You can't make that shit up.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO if that Honda rumor is correct. Red Bull were supplied by Renault for years, won 4 titles with them, bitched at them 24/7 only for them to finally partner on a works status and it last two years.

You can't make that shit up.

You can't remain without an engine if you also pull out of F1.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
Yup Hulk in that car next year.

Whens the last time Redbull got a driver from another team?

Beyond Verstappen their current lineup doesnt look very good

And Danny Ric would have double digit points.

He made more points in his first race last year than he has this whole season.

Which Hulk!?

You're not wrong about Ric. Renault not doing him any favors

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Does anybody really believe the Ferrari engine is more powerful than the Mercedes engine? Mercedes has been way better in corners compared to Ferrari which could just be a result of them using more downforce. If they used less downforce, their straight line speed would improve too.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Does anybody really believe the Ferrari engine is more powerful than the Mercedes engine? Mercedes has been way better in corners compared to Ferrari which could just be a result of them using more downforce. If they used less downforce, their straight line speed would improve too.
Wasn't it acceleration that Ferrari seemed to have improved a lot compared to Merc?

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Press and Mercedes likes to push this narrative, but I don't think it has ever been true once since 2014. Even on weekends Ferrari dominated performance-wise it wasn't due to the engine being better.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Mercedes PU is probably the best and this is why Ferrari tried to use an extreme low df concept but it didn't work out. Moreover everyone confirmed that the new aero regs and especially new tyres helped Mercedes even more so i think next year will be a more of the same of this one.

There is no track in the calendar where Ferrari and RB can win right now.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mercedes PU is probably the best and this is why Ferrari tried to use an extreme low df concept but it didn't work out. Moreover everyone confirmed that the new aero regs and especially new tyres helped Mercedes even more so i think next year will be a more of the same of this one.

There is no track in the calendar where Ferrari and RB can win right now.

Pirelli must be glad they helped Mercedes figure out the tyres in that illegal test some years ago, contributing to what may be 7 consecutive titles for them.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If there was one track for Ferrari to win it's this one, and they really need a solid win to boost the teams morale.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
When the track suits the Ferrari, there is always something else that fails in the team, be it technical issue or strategy mastery.
There won't be any track where Ferrari is faster so it's not a huge problem ahahah

I hope some of you don't expect Ferrari to win here. Mercedes will be faster by 0.4s in quali and close to a second faster in the race.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I do wish the old Hockenheim circuit. Would have been fun to see these cars run on that track.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
another leclerc pole would be amazing

EDIT: oop may have spoken too early

Last edited:

Cammington

Oct 27, 2017
This, combined with Marko's interview to Italian press in the week stinks of desperation. They have no come back to Mercedes. Don't forget all teams agreed to the tyre changes despite some of the Merc/Pirelli conspiracy theories. Ferrari and Red Bull have just got it wrong.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This, combined with Marko's interview to Italian press in the week stinks of desperation. They have no come back to Mercedes. Don't forget all teams agreed to the tyre changes despite some of the Merc/Pirelli conspiracy theories. Ferrari and Red Bull have just got it wrong.

Pirelli should leave F1 tbh. When they arrived teams were killing tyres and doing 2-4 stop races and it was chaos. After a bit they learned they're better off saving it for 95% of its lifetime and do a 1-stop strategy, which absolutely murders the battles which are already near impossible with the current track/cars combination.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Pirelli should leave F1 tbh. When they arrived teams were killing tyres and doing 2-4 stop races and it was chaos. After a bit they learned they're better off saving it for 95% of its lifetime and do a 1-stop strategy, which absolutely murders the battles which are already near impossible with the current track/cars combination.
I don't think it's Pirelli's fault, tbf. If you could put on a set of fresh tires and then pass cars and drive off into the distance, that would mix up the strategies better.

sixclix

Nov 10, 2017
and when the tires were bulletproof, Vettel ran 52 laps (Monza) on his starting tyre and only did the mandatory pitstop on the last lap. Still to come out first. Whining about the tires being too soft, or too hard is absolutely pointless.

Cammington

Oct 27, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I'm no big fan of the tyres, but half the problem is no one wants to make high deg tyres and so we're stuck with Pirelli for the foreseeable. No one even tendered for the 18" tyres apart from Pirelli. It's down to the teams to make them work. Unfortunately for nine of them there's one team operating at another level entirely right now.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I'm no big fan of the tyres, but half the problem is no one wants to make high deg tyres and so we're stuck with Pirelli for the foreseeable. No one even tendered for the 18" tyres apart from Pirelli. It's down to the teams to make them work. Unfortunately for nine of them there's one team operating at another level entirely right now.

But why do we need high deg tyres? Formula E has a lot of overtaking partially because they have tyres they can push on.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I think its a difficult balancing act. Michelin seem to think they could make a tyre that can last the race and be a good tyre. But then there would be no stops at all.

I think I'd like to see the mandatory stop removed. Let Sauber Alfa run on one tyre for the whole race if they want, and let others run S, S, S if they want.

I'd also probably remove Friday practise entirely and instead give them a free test on the Monday once the race is done. Less time to fine tune and perfect everything before the race, still plenty of track time to develop parts and gather data.

Fuck, mix it up, do a Saturday practise, and then a Saturday 3 lap average quali. One 60 minute session, average time taken from your best 3 laps. Use those times to determine the 1-10, 11-16 and 17+ groups, and then have those go out and do Q1, Q2 and Q3 based on that. 10 mins each, 1 hot lap needed.

The decision for nobody to tender was in large part due to the FIA being dumb as a bag of rocks, and mandating that the supplier would have to supply 1 year of 13s and then 2 years of 18s. A decision so moronic it's actually laughable.

Literally the only company in a position to do that was Pirelli.

Status
Not open for further replies.