• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They don't hate Hamilton, it's just that they find him annoying.

Maybe he should just shut up and race? Stop the fashion stuff... That's mainly what I read.

This shit sounds too familiar to how American Football players and NBA players are treated.

People are worried about his lifestyle and not his racing, which is top notch.

I've said this before, but the argument is basically "I don't dislike him because he's black, I just dislike him for liking black people music, wearing black people clothes, and doing black people things. Totally not racist."

Deleted member 8118

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've said this before, but the argument is basically "I don't dislike him because he's black, I just dislike him for liking black people music, wearing black people clothes, and doing black people things. Totally not racist."
Or the comments on his hair. It's very lame, and that's why I don't care how he wins, if he does, great.

I love seeing him doing this. I feel like he was holding back a lot of his personality because of the issues he had earlier on. Now, hes figured himself out, has a team that backs him and his decisions and is driving better than ever.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Hamilton has always been pretty nice to his partnered drivers and even most of the paddock. He was even cool with Kovalainen, he's nice to Verstappen even after clashing with him and he's giving respect to Leclerc. You pretty much have to back to 2011 to have him being a dick. The situation with Rosberg is 50/50 at best along with his row with Alonso. He's competitive, they all are, but he's never really seemed to be that mean spirited with it. It's not like he's ever crashed anybody out to win a championship.

You basically just said "ignoring the times he had problems and openly clashed with his team mates, he never had a problem with his team mates". Plus, we weren't really talking about his team mates. I was just answering to someone who said that Hamilton is unusually gracious compared to drivers like Schumacher or Senna, which I don't agree with.

Also, I don't care about anything he does off-grid, I don't follow that stuff. I just don't especially like him based on what I've seen of him during many years of racing. He is still one of the best drivers of all time. Can we maybe not immediately go to "Well, people who dislike him probably to it because of A or B which makes them racist, also"?

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018

Absolutely this. Formula 1 is such a white sport it's unsurprising, but it really does need to be addressed by F1.

People have no problem with Schumacher doing worse things, and they seem to have a blank spot in their memories when it comes to the playboy drivers of the 80s.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, some bad luck for LeClerc there. At the end he was a bit lucky with the yellow car situation (in different ways, lol what happened to tgose Renaults?). That was bad luck for Verstappen though.
Super steady and reliable race for Hamilton who respectfully and rationally told his team Leclerc is the main man of this race and work needs to be done to get the Mercedes cars where they need it to be.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You basically just said "ignoring the times he had problems and openly clashed with his team mates, he never had a problem with his team mates". Plus, we weren't really talking about his team mates. I was just answering to someone who said that Hamilton is unusually gracious compared to drivers like Schumacher or Senna, which I don't agree with.

The two he's really clashed with were Alonso who was salty at being shown up by a rookie, and Rosberg who it has since come out that was the vindictive and nasty one of the two.

Button and Hamilton didn't really clash, they just happened to be teammates when Hamilton was having a real stinker in 2011.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
The two he's really clashed with were Alonso who was salty at being shown up by a rookie, and Rosberg who it has since come out that was the vindictive and nasty one of the two.

Button and Hamilton didn't really clash, they just happened to be teammates when Hamilton was having a real stinker in 2011.

Again, I don't know where the Team Mate argument is coming from, Rosberg didn't have problems with any Team Mate until Hamilton, either, soooo? I simply stated that it's pretty easy and common in sports to be gracious when you win thanks to luck or unluck of your opponent and that there are examples of Schumacher doing exactly that, too.

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't be Era without people immediately doing that.
It's just calling it out as we see it. There's probably not a lot of black people on this forum that watch Formula 1. I'm the only black person I know that watches Formula 1 and despite most watchers being from socially progressive countries, I see a lot of similarities to comments made about black athletes in the states.

For a lot of black people, in order to be successful in a white industry, you have to hide or cut out any acknowledgement of your own history, otherwise you will make people "uncomfortable" with your racial awareness.

Lewis did a Trojan horse, followed his father's rules as a manager, fought the racism by ignoring their own roots, and now he doesn't give a shit about people think because he is undeniable at his job.

How do I know this? Because I had to do it to be successful at college at one point.

Last edited:

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
Race was crazy. Great fight at the front. Gutting loss for Leclerc.

Vettel looks to have another car worthy of a championship under him but already he is making costly mistakes.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Hamilton's winning so of course people dislike him. Alonso only became likeable when he was driving a McLaren shitbox.

Deleted member 16452

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just calling it out as we see it. There's probably not a lot of black people on this forum that watch Formula 1. I'm the only black person I know that watches Formula 1 and despite most watchers being from socially progressive countries, I see a lot of similarities to comments made about black athletes in the states.

Yea, this shit is not subtle.

F1 needs to improve a lot in this regard.

Oct 27, 2017
Hamilton's winning so of course people dislike him. Alonso only became likeable when he was driving a McLaren shitbox.

If you want to know what an actual asshole looks like look no further than Fernando Alonso lol. Probably the biggest dick on the track (just editing to clarify I agree with you it's funny people only liked him once he got in a bad car. But he was always a total shithead and his status as a supposed great is nothing short of stand up comedy)

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I wonder how serious the Ferrari engine issue is. After the problem rose in Leclerc's car I guess they immediately lowered the power for Vettel. Well maybe they actually did that earlier after he was behind Verstappen...

EDIT:
I just looked at the driver standings...
BOT - 44
HAM - 43
VER - 27
LEC - 25
VET - 22

In 2018 Vettel had 50 points after 2 races, Hamilton 33, Bottas 22 and Verstappen 12.

Last edited:

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

Could you explain to me who in the last 2 pages lead you to believe that they were actually racist, motivating the post? Because, other than me, I think I only see one other person...not even criticising Hamilton, just stating that they don't especially like him. It's hard not to feel talked down too like that, especially if the accusation is "Well, actually, people who don't like Hamilton are just racist", immediately after you stated that you don't like him.

I do not doubt for a second there are countless examples of people disliking Hamilton for being black. I do doubt how much sense it makes to bring that argument up the second anyone even mildly voices a lack of sympathy for Hamilton on this forum. Or even just disagrees in that he is singularily gracious compared to other racing drivers, which was how this all started.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
D2__9UjW0AA4xNl.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Also another reminder of how crap a track Melbourne is and how it's a horrible pick for a season opener (or even having it on the calendar full stop). Imagine if this were the season opener? As it would have been in 2011 if memory serves. Time to boot the no-overtaking circuits off the schedule, and that includes the procession-fest that is Monaco

Deleted member 8118

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Could you explain to me who in the last 2 pages lead you to believe that they were actually racist, motivating the post?
I can sit here and write to you about this all day, but I honestly don't have the time.

I will leave you with this.

Most of the time it isn't overt racism. It's usually the racist undertones that do the most damage and can undermine someone's career.

It's done to a way that it isn't detectable, but for black people we see it miles away, and when we call it out, we're gaslighted.

PowerTaxi

Oct 25, 2017
No. It's more than that.

You get people saying how he's an asshole, and in the same breath say how much they like Raikkonen - who is straight up the biggest asshole on the grid.

Don't get me wrong, the Spain shit with the monkey suits at the start of his career was horrendous and has no place in the sport or anywhere. It's just tiring how people can't call him an asshole just cause he's black. To be one of the greats its almost a prerequisite though(I'm a Ferrari fan but Schumi was a dickhead)

Oct 25, 2017

Also, I don't care about anything he does off-grid, I don't follow that stuff. I just don't especially like him based on what I've seen of him during many years of racing. He is still one of the best drivers of all time. Can we maybe not immediately go to "Well, people who dislike him probably to it because of A or B which makes them racist, also"?
I'm just going to keep it short. As a Hamilton fan from as way back as 2009 I'm just happy to see him reaching his potential. If he has to start a fashion line and do charity work and try to make sure his line has equal representation at a fashion show then more power to him. Whatever he's doing is working for him and I like seeing him be humble and gracious in victory and at times I do wish he would shut up but luckily he mostly keeps those moments minimal.

Oct 27, 2017
Also another reminder of how crap a track Melbourne is and how it's a horrible pick for a season opener (or even having it on the calendar full stop). Imagine if this were the season opener? As it would have been in 2011 if memory serves. Time to boot the no-overtaking circuits off the schedule, and that includes the procession-fest that is Monaco

I agree about Melbourne. I've seen so many people on various forums who watched the Netflix series and now was going to watch F1 live for the first time and then it starts with the boring race that Melbourne usually is.

I kind of like Monaco as something that happens once a season though.

Nov 6, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Disingenuous arguments excusing racism and a history of similar behavior; Posting racial slurs; Account in junior phase
Get of your high horse. That is total bullshit.

I have been to 10+ Grand Prix, from the Americas to Asia and Hamilton has won 50% of them and the crowd went wild for him, everywhere. No one was chanting 'nigger' or similar. In fact the only driver I have seen booed is Vettel! The whiter than white german.

The reason people don't like Hamilton is because he is disingenuous.
eg he talk about how great it is to be with everyone in the factory and then in an interview with Button 'you know how I hate to be at the factory.
All of his pantomime gets a bit tiring, He pretends to be exhausted when things don't go his way, but when they do.... well have a Guess.

He is working on his public persona. That's fine. But don't get upset when people see through the garbage.
He is going to do down as the second best GP driver ever, at minimum! No one doubts him as a raw talent, but his self promotion needs more work.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I have been to 10+ Grand Prix, from the Americas to Asia and Hamilton has won 50% of them and the crowd went wild for him, everywhere. No one was chanting 'nigger' or similar. In fact the only driver I have seen booed is Vettel! The whiter than white german.

eg he talk about how great it is to be with everyone in the factory and then in an interview with Button 'you know how I hate to be at the factory.
All of his pantomime gets a bit tiring, He pretends to be exhausted when things don't go his way, but when they do.... well have a Guess.

He is working on his public persona. That's fine. But don't get upset when people see through the garbage.
He is going to do down as the second best GP driver ever, at minimum! No one doubts him as a raw talent, but his self promotion needs more work.

You forget to mention about his taxes. It's not a classic Hamilton rant without complaining about him not contributing to HMRC.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017

This just shows massive ignorance of what racism really is.

Nov 6, 2017
This just shows massive ignorance of what racism really is.
If it's racism in F1, a 'black' should not be left near a German car!

Oh wait... maybe it's no racism! Maybe he is naturally talented and he has been given equal opportunity to succeed in F1.
It seems from his story that his family struggled (like more Drivers) to get money and make sacrfices to get him to level where he was noticed and he was picked up by a big team.
The rest is history.

Oct 25, 2017

It's actually not too hard to imagine him liking the establishment at Mercedes more than McLaren to be honest. Not to mention that interview is at most nine years old and it's not hard to believe he is a much more mature person that he was back then. A lot of personalities are fake don't get me wrong, but to assume everything he says is disingenuous is too cynical even for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.