• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
So after using the Dualsense I had this crazy thought of a next gen arcade stick with haptic feedback and speakers to make it more immersive. With that said no tension BS because as a player you don't want to miss your 1frame links or combos for that matter. However, the sensation of holding back and feeling the hits while on defense or the sensation of pulling of a special move combined with the speaker providing a more robust experience almost arcade like.. what do you think about such a device?

PS: this sounds at minimum a 350ish stick if done proper.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it could be interesting for the single player campaigns. For Street Fighter it would even be a funny callback to the first game and its pressure sensitive buttons. Something like MK or DBFZ could be insane.

For the competitive side of things you need to somehow have an advantage because of it or everyone will turn it off right away. Same thing will happen in shooters tbh.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
only the joystick so it can show me joy.
seriously tho, no. its too much of a distraction for an arcade stick

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Sounds like a lot of money for some small cosmetic effects. Considering few people buy arcade sticks to begin with, what would be the market for an haptic arcade stick?

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Arcade stick no, but I wouldn't mind haptic feedback on a Racing wheel or HOTAS Flight stick.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Absolutely not. This would only interfere in the execution fighting games demand of players, especially at higher levels.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
No way No how.

Absolutely not. This would only interfere in the execution fighting games demand of players, especially at higher levels.

Only way I could see it work is for a unique game built around it. Even that would have non haptic options too.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Fight sticks are inherently bought by folks wanting to compete, and haptics just introduces distractions when top tier players are thinking and reacting in terms of frames of input. It would be DOA.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Nope, i turn off the vibrate on the controller if i can, the simple vibration can cause my finger to slip off the button, any thing that disrupts my play gets turned off..

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a pad player and I would turn off haptic for any fighting game I play on DualSense. So of course there would be no interest level in a haptic arcade stick.

I don't even think a fighting game developer would have any interest in programming that kind of feedback anyway.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
I don't really think fighting game devs would be interested in supporting the idea as most sticks don't even have regular rumble built in, so the chances to see widespread support and adaption of haptic feedback in FGC is practically 0.

theosmeo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"
i swear i teched that throw, its just my controller resisted my inputs so i was late by a couple frames"

OP
OP
Noctis

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Well damn, nevermind then >.> and this is someone with several arcade sticks. Thought it would be cool. I don't mean resistance but at least feel a dp connecting.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
No way, that's far too distracting; gotta be able to feel the stick clicking and buttons tapping with consistent clarity

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
  1. It would be a distraction.
  2. You couldn't put the vibration on the actual stick or the buttons, so your hands would never feel it anyway. It would just be vibration in the actual box. You'd feel it in your lap, which is just silly.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Sadly, i am also in the "No thanks" camp. If that ever happens i'll be cutting that off.

Move that to a chair mat though, then why not (so you can get a back massage while playing)

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
That all sounds terrible.

Im playing with my headphones so a speaker on the arcade stick is pointless.
Said stick even vibrating sounds terrible, unlike with Racing Wheels force feedback on Arcade sticks would actually distract and likely reduce my effectiveness.

So not for FGC, but if you mean just for fun in a Streets of Rage, Tekken Force or somesuch beatemup, sure why not could be a cool experience.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Fight sticks are inherently bought by folks wanting to compete, and haptics just introduces distractions when top tier players are thinking and reacting in terms of frames of input. It would be DOA.
Yeah, this. I'd imagine people not in the competitive fighting game scene have little to no interest in fight sticks either.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
I would've traded haptics for paddles any day of the week, so no, I wouldn't be too interested in haptics on a stick.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this. I'd imagine people not in the competitive fighting game scene have little to no interest in fight sticks either.
They're expensive and a major investment. Casuals will stick with controllers.

The majority of pros won't use haptics, thus the fightstick and pad manufacturers won't go near it. A lot of them don't have basic rumble so haptics is out of the question.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
As someone who loves fighting games but only plays them casually (non-competitively), I actually like this idea!

Sounds like a fun way to make the game a bit more immersive.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
That sounds terrible and a big waste of money to put into a stick.

First thing I'm doing with any fighting game on PS5 is turning off the haptics.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
120hz seems a bigger deal IMO Personally, I'm waiting the next Virtua Fighter to have 120hz based core gameplay

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, fighting sticks aren't for those kinda gimmicks. It sounds fun in theory, but it wouldn't be very practical and I think most players would just turn the feature off. It could be fun for battling the CPU, but as soon as you go online (or tournaments, whenever those will ever be a thing again), it would only get in the way.

Feb 15, 2019
Why would I buy a mostly competitive, expensive device and then handicap myself with gimmicks AND making the thing more expensive?

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Fight sticks are inherently bought by folks wanting to compete
Big FG fan and stick aficionado for 21 years at this point... this isn't actually true as I've no real interest in competing despite even being a part of a dedicated FGC group with weekly meets (well, not this year). You're right that it probably applies to most, but it's not inherent.

I'd imagine people not in the competitive fighting game scene have little to no interest in fight sticks either.
Not so. Plenty of FG fans have an interest in sticks despite having no interest in actually playing the games competitively.

Feb 15, 2019
Big FG fan and stick aficionado for 21 years at this point... this isn't actually true as I've no real interest in competing despite even being a part of a dedicated FGC group with weekly meets (well, not this year). You're right that it probably applies to most, but it's not inherent.

Not so. Plenty of FG fans have an interest in sticks despite having no interest in actually playing the games competitively.

I'd still assume the vast majority of those people that do buy a stick but don't necessarily compete in tournaments or whatever still occasionally play online against other people and would probably also not really like any distractions to make it harder on themselves.

This just feels like something only people that buy sticks but also don't really play much online and just do story mode or arcade mode or whatever or play with their friends for shits and giggles locally would use.

I can't imagine the market for those people being too big at least.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
I personally wouldn't want it, no, however holding down-back and feeling a gentle build up to the click of full charge for a Flash Kick would be pretty satisfying and a cute way to teach the charge timings. They can be tough to get a feel for as a beginner.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
I'd still assume the vast majority of those people that do buy a stick but don't necessarily compete in tournaments or whatever still occasionally play online against other people and would probably also not really like any distractions to make it harder on themselves.

This just feels like something only people that buy sticks but also don't really play much online and just do story mode or arcade mode or whatever or play with their friends for shits and giggles locally would use.

I can't imagine the market for those people being too big at least.
Oh, I agree completely that barely anyone would want this, I was just addressing the idea that only those with competitive interests use sticks.
As for the topic at hand (inclusion of haptics), I've voiced my take on it ITT, I think it's pointless.

Rbrogue

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This would be a feature largely targeted at casual players and the target market of casual players that want to drop $150+ on an enthusiasts stick I'm sure is ridiculously small.

Feb 15, 2019
Oh, I agree completely that barely anyone would want this, I was just addressing the idea that only those with competitive interests use sticks.
As for the topic at hand (inclusion of haptics), I've voiced my take on it ITT, I think it's pointless.

Oh yeah I'd even go as far as say that probably not even half the people that own and use sticks go to tourneys.

That being said, people's definition of competitive may vary here in this thread. I think some people may just mean like take the game seriously and get a high rank in online or something as opposed to the normal meaning of competitive in the FGC which is just people that attend tourneys.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Maybe it could be used as a sort of training mode utility to let beginners know when they've done a special move motion properly or give them a better idea of timings for combo trials/throw teching/whatever. I can't think of many other practical uses.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
alright look i get it people think hd rumble+ on dualsense is great and all but can we just collectively cool it

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
You don't want that for competitive games, Fighters are no different. I disabled all the rumble nonsense on my PS4 pad.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No.

Additional feedback for competitive games will almost always be seen as a hindrance. The community would reject it immediately. See the Call of Duty thread around the DualSense triggers, folks just turn that stuff off.