• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, from people who mention WoW, hmm I wonder why.
Did you bother reading your own thread? The majoirty of posts are discussion what your title and Op even means and ,no, they aren't all WoW fanboys. I mean these are just some of the confused posts, and there are dozens more that have had to clarify what you meant in the Op. Maybe stop being so defensive when it's clear that your title leads to confusion?

Didn't WoW peak at around 12 million players?
is this players or subscribers?
It actually has 16 million monthly players or 16 million have played it?
How? I thought subs went down to 5-6 mil?
After Wow? If there were 10 million active subs Blizzard would be tweeting such news non-stop. There would be people in the streets, on stilts, with elephants and shit if Wow were at 16 million subs.
Then what is this number for? People that have played the game at all?

At level cap there are lots of classes near where WoW peaks when it comes to APM. WoW actually goes super low right now on certain specs to like mid 30s/40s for certain melee playstyles.

Which was a horrible change this past expansion, it didn't used to be that way. Not that it matters, because you couldn't pay me to play WoW anymore.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
There are over a million active characters. And the expansion hasn't even launched. Wild. XIV is pure sub-based too, at least in the West and Japan.

I wonder how many subs World of Warcraft has now? Subs are probably as low as they've ever been, I wouldn't be surprised if FFXIV becomes the market leader in July after Shadowbringers.

That would be wild but highly unlikely. The hardcore base is still too strong in WoW despite everything.

I wonder, would watching one of those "All story cutscenes from FFXIV" youtube videos be worth it to experience the story that people praise so much?

Hard to say.

There is definitely a lot of boring in between parts especially in the beginning. It picks up about the Lv 40 mark.

OP
OP
Saint-14

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Did you bother reading your own thread? The majoirty of posts are discussion what your title and Op even means and ,no, they aren't all WoW fanboys. I mean these are just some of the confused posts, and there are dozens more that have had to clarify what you meant in the Op. Maybe stop being so defensive when it's clear that your title leads to confusion?
And I'm still saying nothing is confusing about it, a few being confused doesn't mean anything, spare me the "defensive"narrative please.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And I'm still saying nothing is confusing about it, a few being confused doesn't mean anything, spare me the "defensive"narrative please.

You can say whatever you want, the thread reads in a way that proves you wrong. And you are being defensive for no fucking reason. You could just have easily clarified things by editing your Op, but you chose to get upset that people have, rightfully, brought up the fact that a majority of the participants in YOUR thread are either confused or having to correct people who are confused.

But, hey, why not go another 8 pages with people coming in thinking one thing and having to be told something different because you're being stubborn and won't admit that maybe, just maybe, you could make things a little clearer in your Op?

OP
OP
Saint-14

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
brought up the fact that a majority of the participants in YOUR thread are either confused or having to correct people who are confused.
This is straight up false but hey whatever narrative floats your boat, and as always, report the thread for a title change instead of whining about me sharing what SE said.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, amazing how far FFXIV came and how far WoW fell.

I remember knowing someone who I used to play with online games (in a guild) said that WoW would never not be #1 MMO in player population and that FFXIV would never make it over 10 mil

Man how times have changed lol.

Wow still has way more subscribers. Even runescape has more subs even though they are worth much less.

Mar 4, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Homophobic Rhetoric; Previous Severe Infraction Related to Bigotry
I really wanna get back into this game someday, never got past level 40 before but I hear the expansions are realllllly good

Then you really unlucky if you want to get back into the game. As some one play this game since ARR and clear all content , expansion got worse with each patch , less content , more game design problem , more cash shop . Currently they just homoganize all the job and dumb down the complexity to cater to bad player . They dont think about low level dungeon at all , they keep remove job skill at low level make leveling urterly boring to play for new player to push them buy "level skip Poiton". Moreover, for some job they just remove some low level skill then give back as new skill at high level with different animation.

In short if you are into ERP , rp, selfie or gay people , bad player , only play for social aspect , NEET then the game maybe perfect for you but if you are player that look for challenge and complexity then this game get worse with each expansion after HW

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Did they count the people that are playing via the free 7 day thing? I tried that to see if I can get into it since they gave away Heavensward but I couldn't.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised people aren't getting sick of the same gameplay loop yet for so many years now.

Are there any drastic changes gameplay wise this expansion?

Mar 4, 2018
I'm surprised people aren't getting sick of the same gameplay loop yet for so many years now.

Just like my few post above . The answer is no . They only dumb down the gameplay this expansion , everything else seem like the same. Majority player of this game consist of gay people , ERP , people that only want to chat and take picture , NEET so those people dont really care much about gameplay at all and care more about cosmestic stuff so they dont get sick of same stale formula , most people that care about that already unsub after clear content and only comeback when new content release

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
No idea, but they said over 16 million registered players.
Oh, though I've been registered for a long time since PS3 beta. Well, that's a big number no matter what anyway. I'm glad their subscription system for FFXIV was miles better than FFXI at least. I can start and quit when I want without feeling like I'm wasting anything (subscribing for a month in FFXI on the 30th would give you less days since you'd have to resubscribe on the first of the next month in the old FFXI system).

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017

If the gameplay loop is still fun there's no reason to change for the sake of it. Wow changes structure almost every expansion and manages to be worse almost every time.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
In short if you are into ERP , rp, selfie or gay people , bad player , only play for social aspect , NEET then the game maybe perfect for you but if you are player that look for challenge and complexity then this game get worse with each expansion after HW
What the fuck does being gay have anything to do with playing causally/not interested in challenge and complexity? This is disgustingly homophobic.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
Just like my few post above . The answer is no . They only dumb down the gameplay this expansion , everything else seem like the same. Majority player of this game consist of gay people , ERP , people that only want to chat and take picture , NEET so those people dont really care much about gameplay at all and care more about cosmestic stuff so they dont get sick of same stale formula , most people that care about that already unsub after clear content and only comeback when new content release
Wow what a terrible post.
Dungeons are great, raids are great and challenging, gameplay loop is great, there's some really good and interesting mechanics in there, some side quests are amazing. No I'm not gay (wtf) or interested in RP and I play this game a lot for its content.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Then you really unlucky if you want to get back into the game. As some one play this game since ARR and clear all content , expansion got worse with each patch , less content , more game design problem , more cash shop . Currently they just homoganize all the job and dumb down the complexity to cater to bad player . They dont think about low level dungeon at all , they keep remove job skill at low level make leveling urterly boring to play for new player to push them buy "level skip Poiton". Moreover, for some job they just remove some low level skill then give back as new skill at high level with different animation.

This is blatant bullshit, not sure if Yoshi P pissed in your cereal or what, but each expansion so far has been better than the last. HW added a TON of content, and Stormblood somehow managed to pack even more than that.

The story progression, dungeon design, and overall player experience has improved by leaps and bounds since vanilla 2.0.

Oct 27, 2017
I recently re-subbed also. ReShade kind of re-invented the game for me aesthetically. I was really turned off by the colors for most of its history.

I'm still struggling to find a job that I enjoy though.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Didn't WOW peak at 12 million? That's where it was at when I quit in 2010, and I thought it steadily dropped since then.

The last known active subscription numbers for WoW was 5-6 million a few years ago, since then Blizzard stopped talking about subscription numbers.

Being second placed doesn't mean there isn't a huge gap though, I'm sure WoW is still above 4 million at least.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
The last known active subscription numbers for WoW was 5-6 million a few years ago, since then Blizzard stopped talking about subscription numbers.

Being second placed doesn't mean there isn't a huge gap though.

Wouldn't the number of peak subscribers for each game make WOW second place overall? That's what I was replying to.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Love this game but I have some dungeon anxiety, I'd like to return to it just for the story but the trust system is Shadowbringer only (I'm at the end of Heavensward), I'll wait until they give more tools for people who just want to enjoy the story.
Also my lifestyle don't work with sitting in a dungeon for 40+ mins straight everytime I want to go to the next story bit
If you're on aether data center (the NOT Ultros one) just hit me up on Faerie I'm Alphyn Vyrs.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Really sounds like this game was a late bloomer. I guess with MMOs that's fairly common compared to single player games which for the most part peak in active users just a month or two after launch.

Marie

Oct 25, 2017
from somebody that plays FFXIV a lot.

The game has been getting easier overall. Ultimate raids are nice but only one for every 6 months. Jobs overall have been getting easier to play both from a skill flooring and a skill ceiling perspective (compare HW drg to SB and SHB drg)

Jobs are definitely feel really bad to play at low level. They really need to address that because I never want to do leveling roulette if I can help it due to how bad jobs play. Try low level dragoon. Its literally mash 1 button for the longest time. Paladin is literally 1-2-3 until like high 50's.

I still really enjoy the game and I understand the changes they made. The game is great for people that just want to pickup and play at max level without feeling they have to log on daily. Yoshi even encourages ppl to take breaks and play other games.

My biggest gripe is that we get 4 savage bosses a tier (6 months) and it can get insanely tedious after the 3rd month Granted those 4 bosses are more intricate then like the first 7 bosses in a wow raid

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Lots of sprouts popping up in my server this few weeks, my ps4 framerate is taking a hit in the big cities now when it didn't used to, lol.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017

I never played MMOs before and I played for a bit until I realized that every encounter seemed to be just doing the same "rotations" over and over. It was so boring

JudgeN

Oct 25, 2017
I like the game in short bursts but this always happens at the launch of an xpac. Then 2-3 months after release subs drop off the cliff because 14 gameplay loop doesn't work for long term subbing. I do enjoy my 3 month xpac stay though.

Oct 27, 2017
I like the game in short bursts but this always happens at the launch of an xpac. Then 2-3 months after release subs drop off the cliff because 14 gameplay loop doesn't work for long term subbing. I do enjoy my 3 month xpac stay though.

I was trying to put my finger on it. What is it about the core gameplay loop that doesn't click?

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
I started from scratch and got to the end of Stormblood last year. It's an absurdly good game, especially for the nightmare it sprang from. Got a 20 dollar pre-order for Shadowbringers so I grabbed it.

Jumping back in is absurdly overwhelming. Just looking at my inventory with stuff for almost a dozen jobs made me want to close the app immediately. They need better systems and more inventory space without all the servant garbage asap.

Marie

Oct 25, 2017
I was trying to put my finger on it. What is it about the core gameplay loop that doesn't click?

The tedious part is

even patch = 4 raid bosses (savage)
3 months later~
odd patch = 1 24man casual raid/ MAYBE 1 ultimate raid for HC raiders
3 months later~
rinse repeat until next expac

new tomes come every even patch, cap 450 weekly until for gear
2 new dungeon on even patch
1 new dungeon on odd patch

all dungeons are loleasy mode because its designed around casuals

JudgeN

Oct 25, 2017

Well I am an OG ff11 player so I prefer horizontal progress instead of vertical. They only have one active raid content with primal fights per patch. It the same loop they done since 2.0 launched . If you don't raid you don't have anything to do once you beat your primal, unless you like glamour they do add tons of worthless glamour. Everyone in my guild ends up quiting at the same time after xpac due to bordom and come back every xpac.

The tedious part is

3 months later~
3 months later~

You said it better than me, high five.

Marie

Oct 25, 2017
Well I am an OG ff11 player so I prefer horizontal progress instead of vertical. They only have one active raid content with primal fights per patch. It the same loop they done since 2.0 launched . If you don't raid you don't have anything to do once you beat your primal, unless you like glamour they do add tons of worthless glamour. Everyone in my guild ends up quiting at the same time after xpac due to bordom and come back every xpac.

You said it better than me, high five.

I don't mind the content loop, I just wish there was slightly more

1 extra trial for accessories
1-3 more raids per tier
1 more EXTRA stuff (HoH/PVP/just fun stuff that can be experimental)

What really hurt in Stormblood was Eureka. It only got good at the last map. That means there was like 3-4 maps prior that were just pure ass in gameplay.

BA and Logograms is something they should keep building up on, or atleast take experimental stuff to the same level

SUPARNOVAX

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
WoW's subs can't be matched. The game can still run on a toaster. A lot of people also probably only play WoW and nothing else, so that base is locked in.

I resubbed but haven't had the time to get to play a lot to catch up the main storyline. I'd like to see the FFXIV graphic engine get a tune up or have even higher model texture options for all the sweet new gear being added.

I also haven't preordered Shadowbringers yet either, but I'll probably have that done later this week or next before it launches.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Contributed. Trying to catch up with the story, didn't finish stormblood because it didn't grab me. Shadowbringer looks exciting and brings a new tank class, I'm so in for this expansion.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
The tedious part is

3 months later~
3 months later~

This is it. As someone who has played since 3.0 and stopped at 4.4, I got sick of this predictable loop.

I'm betting that the 5.0 endgame will be farming the non-timegated tomes until the first raid introduces the superior timegated ones.

Marie

Oct 25, 2017
This is it. As someone who has played since 3.0 and stopped at 4.4, I got sick of this predictable loop.

I'm betting that the 5.0 endgame will be farming the non-timegated tomes until the first raid introduces the superior timegated ones.

5.0 endgame will be
get 80, get enough gear to farm primal for weapon and accessories
2 weeks later
get the best set of normal raid gear
2 weeks later
go hard in savage until clear

All the while you cap weekly tomes, get crafted gear if you're rushing prog. There will be side content and thats always great.

Like I know and understand why people are upset about FF patch cycle. For me I don't mind it, I just wish they added more to that cycle.

I play this game a lot, started in late 3.1 and have 431 days of playtime. I'm still excited for the new expansion and the new raids but I wish they just added MORE.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm jumping back when the expansion drops, I stopped playing right before the first expansion and it seems like I have a lot to check out.

I recently played during the "free 7 days" thing and I had a great time.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I think, at the very tail end of Eureka, they finally figured out how to make good non-raid repeatable content. If they can get something like Hydatos in there by the first or second patch then it'll feel lively, otherwise yeah, 4 bosses every 3 months is gonna be rough.

Marie

Oct 25, 2017
4 bosses every 6 months is gonna be rough.

corrected.
Ultimate is a great bandaid for content draught but it doesn't affect the vast majority of raiders.

The sad part is they do add trials but the trials for most raiders are useless outside gearing alts even before the content drops since they'll outgear it (the weapon is 5 ilvl lower than the upgrade tome weapon and 10 ilevel under raid weapon.

The game just needs more content. Something for casuals, something for raiders, something for both that they can do that is FUN (please no more anemos/pagos/pyros eureka)

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
We are for sure getting 2 ultimates again.

And not confirmed but I'm positive savage is moving to a 5 full boss encounter design instead of the 2 half bosses on the 4ths since he said that's gone and players will be surprised

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Yes the formula is getting stale
Probably would still pre-order SHB, been waiting for greenmanganing deal but I don't think it's happening
Dancer seems fun, might be the 2nd class I'll actually bother capping after my main blm

BeatnikGunso

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the game is fun but I got burned out twice from the forced msq between realm reborn and heavensward and once again between heavensward and stormblood. I played tank so I had no issues or problems waiting for dungeons or raids but seeesh they really need to fix that forced quest nonsense. That's the one thing wow has above ffxiv. If i'm at the right level I can just jump into the new expansion area no problem.

Mirabai

Nov 4, 2017
are you stil forced to grind your ass of for about 15-20 hours at level 50, 60 & 70 to unlock the next addon?
I leveled to 63 or so and stopped playing because you had to grind for 2390293 hours to unlock the endgame.