• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
Last I checked, WOW's active subs dropped down to 1.6 million. And now FFXIV has over 1 million active subs. So it's possible that FFXIV could eventually catch-up to WOW in active subs.
As mentioned above, the reports of those wow subs were debunked very quickly. No one knows how many subs are in WoW now but it's unlikely to be anywhere less than 2-3 millions.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Any new players on Cactuar need a Free Company? I run a growing one and we're recruiting players of all skill levels. Send me a DM if you want a spot! We got exp buffs rolling 24/7.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
According to relatively recent (and pretty reliable, judging by how the data lines up with Yoshi's public statements) FFXIV has a bit over 1 million active subs right now. The "16 million characters!" thing is just marketing crap though - it's 16 million registered users over the course of the game to now. It means nothing except new people continue to try it out over the years so they get to keep juicing that number.

I have more problems with the game than the average person but of the "big MMOs" that are left at this point (sigh) it's certainly the best one that I've played.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love this game but I have some dungeon anxiety, I'd like to return to it just for the story but the trust system is Shadowbringer only (I'm at the end of Heavensward), I'll wait until they give more tools for people who just want to enjoy the story.
Also my lifestyle don't work with sitting in a dungeon for 40+ mins straight everytime I want to go to the next story bit
Tbf most dungeons are 20 mins ish. Plus, for the new expansion they have the 'trust' system where you can do dungeons with AI

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I have been playing it recently the past couple of weeks and have been enjoying it. I am almost finished ARR quest line. I am trying to push through because I know there is still 100's of quests between me and Shadowbringers. I am maining a tank with a secondary healer because I always heard that queue times for them are so much better.

AJ_Cyberpunk

Apr 15, 2019
Its awesome to see so many people playing online, its packed in most places i visit in game. I got burned out aggggess ago at end of HW expansion. Have just jumped back on and having fun. Last few days spent most of my time in Gold Saucer (Never went there in past), levelling squadrons to get grand company promotion and playing Triple Triad, just got over 60 cards. Have a BLM and DRG but thinking of switching to Bard as i like its mobility and prefer the controller on PC, will be nice for comfy sessions with Trust/Questing.

Also first time i started using Reshades which are fun and def give the game a lick of paint.

3Pb6clQ.png

Raidou

Oct 25, 2017
Does the free login week they were doing for about 2 mounts also count as a sub or "active player"?

Nov 14, 2017
Love this game but I have some dungeon anxiety, I'd like to return to it just for the story but the trust system is Shadowbringer only (I'm at the end of Heavensward), I'll wait until they give more tools for people who just want to enjoy the story.
Also my lifestyle don't work with sitting in a dungeon for 40+ mins straight everytime I want to go to the next story bit
Dungeon's shouldn't take you 40mins. I think most are like 3 bosses, and around 15-20mins tops.

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
I just tried adding a new steam key to my game through the launcher and it keeps saying a technical issue has occurred. Even created a new Square account to try there and it just keeps failing to upgrade my trial to the vanilla version. It's incredible how frustrating they made managing accounts. I literally can't play the game because of it after wanting to try it out.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
The moment I started playing it at the PS3 launch, it firmly supplanted itself as the WoW replacement I was looking for given how much I disliked the direction that game took(and continued to take).

Definitely a timesink though, largely for its narrative-driven progression. Something I really appreciate, but also can feel bloated and overstuffed with repetitious cutscenes talking strategy, planning, flashbacks, etc... Even as someone that reads it all, even my eyes glaze over the text bubbles at times given how dense and kind of repetitious it can read.

I do wish they could spend a bit of time re-balancing some of the old content though. S-rank hunts, old dungeons you visit for dailies, etc... I mean even with level/gear scaling, you just wipe the floor with much of it. I love that they find ways to revisit the older stuff for beneficial means, but at least spend a bit of time providing a way to make it feel a bit compelling instead of a total snoozefest.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
However you need to be level 47 to even begin using GC squadrons for dungeons so it's not really that useful for newcomers, more for alt jobs.

That is true of course. I should have specified that :)

One very important thing FFXIV has going for itself though is the commendation system. That alone helps a great deal in keeping toxicity away from dungeon runs and raids. I have yet to be yelled at or flamed in any dungeon, and I main a healer. The community in FF is fantastic for the most part. And as someone who hates running dungeons in wow with randos, FF is a whole different level of community. I love meeting new random people in dungeons in FF because people are friendly and want to succeed together (and want to earn those sweet sweet commendations)

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
It's a fantastic game, and this is great news.

I've been playing FFXIV roughly since ARR - I've taken breaks now and then, but the game does feel much more alive and healthy now than it had in years. I had a ton of friends playing the game before HW came out (when I felt like the game was at its "peak", similar to WoW around BC/2007ish), and lately it's feeling similar.

Shadowbringers looks great and I hope nothing but the best for the team working on this game. They deserve major congratulations and props for turning this game around in such a huge way.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well deserved.

I've had a lot of friends start to get into the game over the last year after I'd been bugging them for ages. Seems like that's not an uncommon experience.

OP
OP
Saint-14

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There aren't 16 million people playing the game, there aren't 16 million players

It's 16 millions accounts created lifetime. A thoroughly pointless stat. It's as misleading as it gets
Nowhere do they claim they have 16 million playing it currently, there is nothing misleading about it and you're trying too hard to make it like that.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is kinda misleading imo. They have about 1mil subscribers which is not terribly impressive and certainly nowhere near WoW's numbers.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Nowhere do they claim they have 16 million playing it currently, there is nothing misleading about it and you're trying too hard to make it like that.
The only freakin number in that 2 lines OP of yours is in the title and is 16 millions

Have a better OP next time if you want to have a somewhat good conversation instead of having half the thread be about people correcting the ones coming in believing 16 millions is the current subscribers number

OP
OP
Saint-14

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The only freakin number in that 2 lines OP of yours is in the title and is 16 millions

Have a better OP next time if you want to have a somewhat good conversation instead of having half the thread be about people correcting the ones coming in believing 16 millions is the current subscribers number
Or you can stop being bothered about another MMO getting bigger constantly while the one you like isn't, the title is pretty clear.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
This is kinda misleading imo. They have about 1mil subscribers which is not terribly impressive and certainly nowhere near WoW's numbers.
1 million active subscribers is certainly impressive for an mmo these days, especially when it's a 6 year old game that's still growing.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Or you can stop being bothered about another MMO getting bigger constantly while the one you like isn't, the title isn't pretty clear.
You're trying too hard.

As I said, have a better OP next time explaining your super vague thread title. Every metric we have had from SE comes this way :

- Number of lifetime accounts created (including trials)
- Number of subscribers to their MMos (So a combined number for FF XI, DQX and FF XIV).

The only interesting part of your OP is "highest number of subscribers" but with no numbers coming with them.

You want good discussion? Put in the effort

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
You're trying too hard.

As I said, have a better OP next time explaining your super vague thread title. Every metric we have had from SE comes this way :

- Number of subscribers to their MMos (So a combined number for FF XI, DQX and FF XIV).

The only interesting part of your OP is "highest number of subscribers" but with no numbers coming with them.

There is a good discussion happening though? You then decided to come in here and derail the thread with claims that the OP is sharing misleading information despite doing nothing of the sort.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
There is a good discussion happening though? You then decided to come in here and derail the thread with claims that the OP is sharing misleading information despite doing nothing of the sort.
Hardly.

This is a topic centered around the game's success. This can be achieved with proper numbers and not garbage like "16 millions accounts" 5 years after WoW's 100 millions (which is also a thoroughly misleading and pointless number btw).

Good discussion would be centered around the game's playerbase progression over the years, the recovery from the absolutely horrible initial launch (and how SE should be loaded for doing so), guesswork around the actual current number of monthly subscribers (with FF XI and DQX taken into account) and so on.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to playing this game since I missed the boat after A Realm Reborn. I'm very happy that it's proved they can play it fairly straight with the fantasy and series staples, and still be popular, though.

I wonder, would watching one of those "All story cutscenes from FFXIV" youtube videos be worth it to experience the story that people praise so much?

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
I really wanna get back into this game someday, never got past level 40 before but I hear the expansions are realllllly good

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Not surprised at the massive influx of players right before the expansion. It was Stormblood's trailers that got me interested and started playing the game before that expansion.

I imagine Shadowbringers is doing the same but also grabbing lapsed WoW players at the same time.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of how slow combat is, but even with that it's the base game that is what is really keeping me from playing. It's a slog and the story and massive amounts of fetch quests are just plain awful.

Or you can stop being bothered about another MMO getting bigger constantly while the one you like isn't, the title is pretty clear.

So clear that multiple people have had to be corrected on what you meant.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Hardly.

This is a topic centered around the game's success. This can be achieved with proper numbers and not garbage like "16 millions accounts" 5 years after WoW's 100 millions (which is also a thoroughly misleading and pointless number btw).

Good discussion would be centered around the game's playerbase progression over the years, the recovery from the absolutely horrible initial launch (and how SE should be loaded for doing so), guesswork around the actual current number of monthly subscribers (with FF XI and DQX taken into account) and so on.
The 16 million shows that interest in the game is still strong if that number continues to increase and we also know that it's more successful now than it's ever been in terms of active subs. We have all the information needed to determine how well the game is doing, numbers add very little to the coversation other than a figure for people to throw into stupid comparisons against other mmos.

People can, and already have, discussed the turnaround that the game has had and how good a job SE had done with the game as well as shared excitement for is future. So I'm not sure why you're acting like numbers are required for that conversation.

OP
OP
Saint-14

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You're trying too hard.

I mean, report the title to a mod if it's bothering you this much, I shared what was said at the conference and even with a title change what have been shared will remain true.
So clear that multiple people have had to be corrected on what you meant.
Yes, from people who mention WoW, hmm I wonder why.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to playing this game since I missed the boat after A Realm Reborn. I'm very happy that it's proved they can play it fairly straight with the fantasy and series staples, and still be popular, though.

I wonder, would watching one of those "All story cutscenes from FFXIV" youtube videos be worth it to experience the story that people praise so much?

No. Watching all the cutscenes without any gameplay inbetween would get old fairly quickly, especially during stuff for the base game. It'd also be missing some of the neat stuff that surrounds the story like dialogue during quests or even things like dungeons and various fights.

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of how slow combat is, but even with that it's the base game that is what is really keeping me from playing.
At level cap there are lots of classes near where WoW peaks when it comes to APM. WoW actually goes super low right now on certain specs to like mid 30s/40s for certain melee playstyles.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are over a million active characters. And the expansion hasn't even launched. Wild. XIV is pure sub-based too, at least in the West and Japan.

I wonder how many subs World of Warcraft has now? Subs are probably as low as they've ever been, I wouldn't be surprised if FFXIV becomes the market leader in July after Shadowbringers.

Nov 1, 2017
Well deserved, Square did a ballsy move reinventing the game and their care towards it since has created a lot of good will. Heard more than a few disgruntled WoW players finding enjoyment there in the past few months.