• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is the general community around this game? I would love to play this, but several bad online experiences has made me incredibly wary to play anything online anymore. I play games to relax, not to have a toxic community scream slurs at me and the like.

Don't do EXTREME primals or raids and you'll be alright.

Because that's when the veil of niceness dissipates.

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
There's literally no popular character or enemy or anything that people outside of FFXIV know. It's a good game with a decent story for an mmo but I wouldn't call it the new face of the franchise. It's still Cloud or Lightning or maybe even Noctis.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This post was true like four years ago, at this point, the boring part is like the first fourth at most.
Yet the "good" story parts are locked behind a expansion paywall. If XIV worked like WoW, buy the game, gain access to all expansions minus the most recent, i would agree with you.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Hasn't it been pillaging the entire history of Final Fantasy for modern content? I hear they're taking races from Ivalice and end bosses from Final Fantasy XI, their last MMO.

So I guess it makes sense that it's the new 'face' but does it have an identity of its own, something that makes it more than just "Final Fantasy XI & All Stars Battle Royale?"
While there is a variant of Ivalice in the game's setting and there are many alternate elements of past games, it's done in the XIV way, that is the game owns them instead of simply copy and paste fan service. And these are all peripheral elements to the core story and setting, which are original to XIV. The original lore is rich and honestly at this point so extensive I probably don't even know half of it beyond the main narrative reveals.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
It's been that way since the last expansion imo, I'm so happy it's becoming more and more popular too. I've played since launch and I probably will never quit until it shuts down, love this game so much.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't it been pillaging the entire history of Final Fantasy for modern content? I hear they're taking races from Ivalice and end bosses from Final Fantasy XI, their last MMO.

So I guess it makes sense that it's the new 'face' but does it have an identity of its own, something that makes it more than just "Final Fantasy XI & All Stars Battle Royale?"

The vast majority of lore in it's story is originally created. What it does borrow from other games is incorporated extremely well too.

Will people who are hesitant about MMOs like it?

Your mileage may vary, as it depends on what you are hesitant about MMOs. It does contain a combat system that borrows from the likes of World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2, and you will be required to group up with others at various points to finish the main story. However, most of the story content is fairly easy, and most players are fairly respectful towards beginner players if you're willing to at least communicate that you're new. There's a full matchmaking system in place for group content too, so finding a group isn't difficult.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
well FF14 certainly has characters and music and raids and events from all the other FF games, so if you have a favorite FF game chances are you'll enjoy seeing it in the context of FF14's world.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
with regard to the community there are sometimes buttheads in dungeons and other daily content but for the -most- part its not nearly as toxic as what wow is like

but it isnt the friendly parent chillout and help each other world of latter day ffxi either

in any case i honestly have been really tempted to get back in just because they apparently added mahjong and i only left because i was super burnt out after getting myself to heavensward

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
When does the story get good? I didnt really feel much from the main story for ARR

That being said I did love every moment of my time playing it and will go back.

ARR is a damn slog until the like, last few moments. They're real good

HW starts strong , continues strong, and ends strong from what I can tell so far (also returned recently and i'm like 10 quests from HW end)

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
The story is central to your character - in the lore, all other players besides you are just normal adventurers. Besides the occasional dungeon or boss where you fight in a 4 man or 8 man party, the narrative is a single player experience.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I don't even play it, but it's got a good style and it's actual freaking fantasy for once. Like, when was the last time they represented that with a big budget, 2006?

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yet the "good" story parts are locked behind a expansion paywall. If XIV worked like WoW, buy the game, gain access to all expansions minus the most recent, i would agree with you.

There's two expansions and they come together in the same package for the price of one. Don't worry, when FFXIV gets 86 expansions like WoW has then it will work like that.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
How is the performance on a PS4 Pro? I don't really have a gaming PC right now. I think I read somewhere there's a performance mode for 60 FPS and I'm pretty damn tempted, tbh. An MMO on a controller seems rough though.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
My friend who is extremely casual on the game played heavy until he caught up. He would then ubsub until a new patch would come out, play it for a couple weeks, and then unsub again. If you're only in it for the story, you'll be fine.
Don't be afraid, you can play the game at your pace and the game doesn't force you or pressure you into feeling like you have to be playing to get your money's worth. Yoshi P has gone on record saying he believes that people should be able to play other games too and that it is fine if you take a break and come back to the game when you want to experience the newer content. Only reason to log in daily is if you want to take part in the endgame raiding meta by doing daily quests and the like.

Sounds great, maybe I finally will give it a try. Whenever I do give the game a shot how integrated is the content from all the expansions? Like would I be able to play while starting out just fine without them all, or do they add in features that are something you would really want to have?

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds great, maybe I finally will give it a try. Whenever I do give the game a shot how integrated is the content from all the expansions? Like would I be able to play while starting out just fine without them all, or do they add in features that are something you would really want to have?

The only thing you're locked out of that would be available if you bought the complete edition is the Au Ra race. The extra classes aren't available until 50 anyway

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I'm continually impressed by the teams ability to create their own unique Final Fantasy game that's easily one of the strongest entries in the series and also throw in fan service for the old games in the series that actually feels well integrated into the world (for most part). They got off to a rocky start with ARR (which makes sense given it's development) but once they got to Heavensward they really hit their stride and they've only improved since.

Also, this might be controversial, but I think a lot of Soken's work on the soundtack is up there with Uematsu's best stuff. The man is consistently brilliant.
Definitely not controversial, but then again I'd maybe go so far as to say XIV is a candidate for the best soundtrack put in a game. I can't remember a single bad song in the soundtrack and the sheer variety of genres that he nails is impressive. The fact that we're close to 500 songs now and I'm still able to be impressed by new songs speaks to how good Soken is.

The amount of content in the game that is a direct reference to other Final Fantasy games is pretty small. The game has a very well realised world with a pretty large amount of lore to dig into, it 100% has it's own identity .

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The expansions add jobs that you can't get without the expansion. That's about it, everything else is really tied to progressing the story - when you reach the end of the "Realm Reborn" storyline you won't be able to continue the story (and explore the newer areas) without Heavensward. But you don't miss out on anything by waiting until then to purchase the expansions except the new jobs they add - you couldn't access the dungeons and stuff they add before reaching that point in the story anyways.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
How is the performance on a PS4 Pro? I don't really have a gaming PC right now. I think I read somewhere there's a performance mode for 60 FPS and I'm pretty damn tempted, tbh. An MMO on a controller seems rough though.
I don't have a pro but on my ps4 the game runs smoothly at the maximum setting. XIV was designed with controller play in mind, many people even prefer it.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
I play on a Pro and do the performance mode. The only noticeable frame drops are when you're in the open world doing a massive hunt with dozens of people doing abilities. Also, the game is very accessible on a controller. Multiple people in my raid group who are on PC use a controller due to how comfortable it is.
Off the top of my head, the only thing that I can think of that you would be missing out on is certain races, classes, and being able to raise your level cap beyond whatever your current expansions cap is.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
From what I recall the Pro version can run at 60 and does frequently, but it will also drop into the 40's in very busy areas or fights with a lot of effects on screen. It also plays pretty much perfectly on a controller, the game was built with controller support in mind and it shows. I've spent the entirety of my 4 years with the game playing on controller and never felt like I was handicapped at all.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
is red mage still braindead

i played scholar, red mage and dark knight and red mage was like a faceroll class

scholar felt like you always had things to do and little things to optimize and dark knight just felt like you had to be really on point to actually do what your job is supposed to do

libregkd

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the fanservice stuff is ancillary. The game has extremely detailed lore and definitely has its own identity.
Yeah, there is some fan service stuff in there but it's pretty much entirely contained to things outside of the main story. And even what isn't direct copy+paste as it's given its own XIV flair.

Like the fanservice complaint always rings a bit hollow to me given that the series as a whole is choke-full of fanservice references to past games.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there is some fan service stuff in there but it's pretty much entirely contained to things outside of the main story. And even what isn't direct copy+paste as it's given its own XIV flair.

Like the fanservice complaint always rings a bit hollow to me given that the series as a whole is choke-full of fanservice references to past games.

Honestly the Ivalice stuff fits right into the world so seamlessly. Like there was obviously changes here and there but it didn't feel lazy. It felt like a genuine attempt to combine these two worlds. Obvious the Ivalice of FFXIV isn't the same Ivalice of FF12 but it's still really well done.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you tell me that is the best FF since IX i will play it.

Kuni

Oct 27, 2017
It's an excellent game and I really adore it. For me, it's easily the best FF since X. The story in paticular has been excellent and it's gmade me feel like I did when I first played the classics. Also the consistancy that team has in getting out updates has been astonishing.

And to think of how the game started out as a complete disaster and the incredible turnaround it had when Yoshi-P took over. Geniunely think it's one of the most impressive feats in gaming. The noclip documentary on it is a great watch - https://www.noclip.video/final-fantasy-xiv/.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I mean the first 100 hours is garbage but yeah sure it's the best ff.
The pacing of ARR is definitely slow and meandering at times, and ARR is the weakest of the narratives compared to how the expansions handle the story, but I disagree that it's garbage. I enjoyed it and it does set up the lore, characters, setting, and main arc very well. My criticism of ARR right now would be that a lot of the quests need to be cut down and the remaining quests need to reward more experience to compensate, since the amount of content has expanded so much since the game's relaunch. The story and characters themselves however are good IMO. The scions specifically are mellow side characters until probably 3/5ths way into ARR's story, where shit hits the proverbial fan. Then they go off like a rocket once you reach the quests leading into Heavensward. That time would probably be 50 hours unless you want to hit literally every sidequest as you go through the story, the amount of which I also believe should be cut down for accessibility's sake.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
Honestly, now that I'm going through half the mainline Final Fantasy games, I'm thinking giving it a shot once I'm done with them, despite never having interest in MMOs.

I know the story is considered good (once you're done with A Realm Reborn at least) and that's a very solo friendly game, but how are the "story" quests designed? Are they simple and fetchy or there's meat to them beyond storytelling and combat? Like, do you get something that could be considered in the vein of the Shin-ra headquarters mission in FFVII or Garnet's kidnapping in IX?

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
It's a really good game, extremely polished for an MMO - worth it for most to play through the game itself. I don't think the story elements are on par with the non-online fantasies, but they do have a lot of polish. The music is really, really good, and that alone will keep you at this game. The end game leaves a lot to be desired (repetitive once you get used to it.) It also makes 'catching up quick' easy to do for new players - but at the expense of the players already there who have to keep chasing a new carrot on a stick once their gear is made obsolete every few patches. The hardcore raid community for EX and the Savage fights is very elitist and toxic in general - the game design makes it this way on those fights; if one player doesn't pull their weight the whole team can't win. If you do the hardcore stuff you really just have to get lucky with the right people to raid with who are more forgiving.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
It's a really good game, extremely polished for an MMO - worth it for most to play through the game itself. I don't think the story elements are on par with the non-online fantasies, but they do have a lot of polish. The music is really, really good, and that alone will keep you at this game. The end game leaves a lot to be desired (repetitive once you get used to it.) It also makes 'catching up quick' easy to do for new players - but at the expense of the players already there who have to keep chasing a new carrot on a stick once their gear is made obsolete every few patches. The hardcore raid community for EX and the Savage fights is very elitist and toxic in general - the game design makes it this way on those fights; if one player doesn't pull their weight the whole team can't win. If you do the hardcore stuff you really just have to get lucky with the right people to raid with who are more forgiving.

It also helps to join a Free Company (guild) and raid with them. If you create your character on the Ultros server, both the ResetERA FC and the Giant Bomb FC are extremely welcoming and willing to help new players learn.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

It has a free trial I think. The only way to be sure is to try it yourself.

Keep in mind you are forced to play with others when doing story dungeons and trials. The process is pretty easy but if you're one of those solo play only type of MMO player this is important to keep in mind. I think you can use AI parties now but haven't looked into this further maybe someone else can explain more on this.

The game is also filled with monotonous filler fetch quests that plague MMOs, A to B design and kill x10 enemies on the field.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV is my definitive FF in my opinion. It's addition of integrating Ivalice (a version of it) into the world only solidified it.

How substantial is the ivalice content? I haven't really played since vanilla, but FFT is my favorite game of all time. I may resub just to experience ivalice.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I always wanted to dig in and I have tried a couple of times but like any other MMO no matter how good they are the beginning is always such a boring slog of running between hundred NPC's doing mundane fetch and kill quests.

I played with friends but they were always a head of me and constantly playing catch-up was also not fun.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I played a bit of XIV solo back in the day. I'm trying to talk my wife into playing it with me now.

For those experienced, what would be the best class for someone who enjoyed a Witch Hunter in Diablo III and an Engineer in Guild Wars 2?