• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of art style, lore, and story, it definitely defines Final Fantasy in a way most of the post FFX games haven't for me. The amount of times I've literally squeed at stuff, especially Heavensward onward, has truly been impressive.

Also, this might be controversial, but I think a lot of Soken's work on the soundtack is up there with Uematsu's best stuff. The man is consistently brilliant.

Aint conntroversial in the slighest. Soken's music is fantastic. I don't know how he pushes out so many good songs patch after patch.

People who say it's just an MMO with an FF skin haven't actually played it. I'm a SUPER casual MMO player. I basically only play it for the story and occasional Raids or Primal Fights. This game has the SOUL of FF in it, there's absolutely no denying it. A Soul which this last generation of mainline FF games isn't even close to having. And it's not just the fanservice (a super nice bonus though)

I dunno if I'd agree with this. There's an MMO there, and it definitely takes clear inspiration from some of the genre's best (by Yoshida's own admittance, no less), so I can understand that turning some people off.

But yeah, it definitely has the soul of Final Fantasy in it.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
I'm too afraid to try the game out due to knowing the way it will probably cause me to play. I have always had an interest in it since i loved xi, and often hear good things about this game. With xi since it was a monthly sub fee I played the game WAY too much cause I kind of felt like I had to so I would "get my moneys worth". This led to me often playing even when I didnt really want to or without any goal in mind and wandering aimlessly. Thats what keeps me from trying out xiv, even though that was several years ago I'm afraid it might happen again.

I've had the free trial on ps4 downloaded since it came out, but have yet to ever launch it.

Deleted member 4198

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV is the only FF game I've enjoyed since... Probably FFX! Still need to find the time to finish the Stormblood content though.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys lowkey made me more excited to go back.

I was okay with ARR so if it gets much better from there then I'll be fine and am looking forward to it.

-2B-

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 23, 2018
Agreed. It's one of the best FF games and the best one since the PS1 days.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People who say it's just an MMO with an FF skin haven't actually played it. I'm a SUPER casual MMO player. I basically only play it for the story and occasional Raids or Primal Fights. This game has the SOUL of FF in it, there's absolutely no denying it. A Soul which this last generation of mainline FF games isn't even close to having. And it's not just the fanservice (a super nice bonus though)
I've played the hell out of it and it's definitely more MMO than Final Fantasy to me. It's a very good MMO, though!

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
It's the only good FF game in 13 years so yeah.

I'd say 17 since FFXI was the last true amazing tier FF.

I'm waiting to resub when the trusts launch. I want to play through the story without those terrible DPS queue's, so the trust system should work wonders for new players to get to the newer content.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
we could only be so lucky
like sci-fi is cool and as a genre it's really receptive to the milquetoast fanfic-level stories that Final Fantasy's most lauded creators like to tell, but I want some more whimsical fantasy and shit, I wanna see it more often

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

I'm waiting to resub when the trusts launch. I want to play through the story without those terrible DPS queue's, so the trust system should work wonders for new players to get to the newer content.

At what point in the game did you stop? Currently the trust system will only be for Shadowbringers.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
I'm too afraid to try the game out due to knowing the way it will probably cause me to play. I have always had an interest in it since i loved xi, and often hear good things about this game. With xi since it was a monthly sub fee I played the game WAY too much cause I kind of felt like I had to so I would "get my moneys worth". This led to me often playing even when I didnt really want to or without any goal in mind and wandering aimlessly. Thats what keeps me from trying out xiv, even though that was several years ago I'm afraid it might happen again.

I've had the free trial on ps4 downloaded since it came out, but have yet to ever launch it.
My friend who is extremely casual on the game played heavy until he caught up. He would then ubsub until a new patch would come out, play it for a couple weeks, and then unsub again. If you're only in it for the story, you'll be fine.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great FF, sure, but I think the average gamer has a way higher chance of recognzing Noctis over ANYTHING FF14 related. So, I think FF15 is the current 'face' of FF, even though I do prefer 14 over 15.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I started the game two years ago. When I got to the level 15 quest where you leave your starter city on an airship and the Final Fantasy Main Theme starts playing, I said to myself that that was the most Final Fantasy thing I had seen from the series in years.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I would say it deserves to be but I'm not sure if it is. Like average Joe gamer will instantly recognize Cloud and possibly even Noctis but I'm not sure how much stands out from FFXIV as great as it is.

Like I played FFXI and got about 50 hours in FFXIV but I draw a blank when I see the characters they picked for Dissidia none of the characters or story really stands out for me to be the face of Final Fantasy. There's a good story and characters in here but kinda like FFXII it gets lost when you are spending at least half of the gameplay grinding away and crafting or fishing or whatever. I can't think of any moment in FFXIV that stands out more than the stupidity that is Cindy in Final Fantasy XV and I hated that game, rushed through it even and I can remember her more than any characters name in FFXIV.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Trusts are for newer players as well to do lower level content main scenario quests. Which is why I am waiting for the expansion lol.

I didn't even get to ARR end.

While I think that's the goal I believe they said at Shadowbringers launch you can only use trusts in the new content and over time they will patch it for lower level content.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017

Don't be afraid, you can play the game at your pace and the game doesn't force you or pressure you into feeling like you have to be playing to get your money's worth. Yoshi P has gone on record saying he believes that people should be able to play other games too and that it is fine if you take a break and come back to the game when you want to experience the newer content. Only reason to log in daily is if you want to take part in the endgame raiding meta by doing daily quests and the like.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Best FF since X imo. I don't even care about FFVIIR and how long it's gonna take to release because I have FFXIV.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Worldbuilding/setting is one of the most important things to me in a FF game and while I think XII fell short in a lot of aspects, that it nailed. Not on the level of VI-X, but it's up there.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
I feel lucky to have enjoyed FFXIII and FFXV

So for me it's been a 2 years since a good FF.

Guess I win?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Worldbuilding/setting is one of the most important things to me in a FF game and while I think XII fell short in a lot of aspects, that it nailed. Not on the level of VI-X, but it's up there.

its the battle system that ruins XII for me. I liked the world, characters, open world design that they brought......but I'd rather play XI than the XIi pseudo mmo system

Nov 23, 2017
I really want to like this one but the original content and original 4 mans bore me to tears with the exception of some great quests so far. Does it get better? I'm level 28 or so.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Trusts are for newer players as well to do lower level content main scenario quests. Which is why I am waiting for the expansion lol.

I didn't even get to ARR end.
On release trusts will only be fore the new Shadowbringers expansion, but they will be bringing them to all of the game eventually. To reduce queue times you could join an active Free Company. These days the waiting time in duty finder is much shorter as well overall from ARR days.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I love the aesthetic, I've grown attached to its ongoing story and lore, and yeah, I generally think it's the best modern FF game by far, but the subscription does place a pressure to commit and that commitment can be kind of deep, so it's tough to wholly recommend, even as I feel quite passionate about it myself.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't it been pillaging the entire history of Final Fantasy for modern content? I hear they're taking races from Ivalice and end bosses from Final Fantasy XI, their last MMO.

So I guess it makes sense that it's the new 'face' but does it have an identity of its own, something that makes it more than just "Final Fantasy XI & All Stars Battle Royale?"

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I've started playing it again recently, coming from WoW it's much more complex and leveling is a snails pace compared to that.
The world and characters are great though, if i was to get really into it and do raids so i could see all the story it'd probably be top 7 or something for me. Doubt i'll ever reach that though sadly.

Genz

Oct 27, 2017
Meh

It's the worst compilation of things players usually hate, like dumb quests, drawn out story, linearity, aggressive monetisation (subscription + cash shop + "hey we don't want to improve our shit story so we offer you to pay us to skip it"), etc.
The story, since it's far too long, is unimpressive because they can't work equally on every part, thus the characters are rarely animated beyond generic emote and it's just a lot of talking.
And the fan-service.......
and other small details

Nice boss, nice musics. That's all, and it's not a lot for all the energy needed to make a mmorpg... I don't want to see another game following the steps of FFXIV.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I really want to like this one but the original content and original 4 mans bore me to tears with the exception of some great quests so far. Does it get better? I'm level 28 or so.
Absolutely, but it will be at the end of ARR and onwards that the dungeons start to be more engaging, in large part because your skillset opens up dramatically at level 50 and onwards.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
Hasn't it been pillaging the entire history of Final Fantasy for modern content? I hear they're taking races from Ivalice and end bosses from Final Fantasy XI, their last MMO.

So I guess it makes sense that it's the new 'face' but does it have an identity of its own, something that makes it more than just "Final Fantasy XI & All Stars Battle Royale?"

Most of the fanservice stuff is ancillary. The game has extremely detailed lore and definitely has its own identity.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think i want to play a FF where the story is complete boredom until near the end game.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017

Where's a rolls-eyes emojii when you need one...

Yes, XIV has its own identity. It may be a theme park MMO that celebrates FF as a whole, but it still has its own original setting, characters, narrative, music, etc. just like an offline FF.

Astrot

Oct 27, 2017
I started playing the game last year and caught up with the story 3 months ago and at first I didn't really like the story. Around the end of ARR the story became everything I want from a final fantasy game. I really gave up hope for the series after the dumpster fire that were ffxv and the xiii trilogy .

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
its the battle system that ruins XII for me. I liked the world, characters, open world design that they brought......but I'd rather play XI than the XIi pseudo mmo system
Yeah that's my main gripe as well. It's also been all shit when it comes to battle systems since then. I wish they would go back to something like X again at some point..