• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
24vpdw3.jpg

This game has not only expanded the audience for the brand but by being online it is never in the past. It's re-release and success in a shrinking MMO market have cemented it as a top contender, and as it continues to get new content and pay homage to older titles and new alike with collab events or callbacks it becomes more and more the new face of Final Fantasy entirely. Cloud might be the literal face most older fans are familiar with right now, but in 10 years? The ARR logo will evoke an emotion as strong as seeing the VII meteor. You can't deny the impact this game has had upon the brand's image since relaunching as A Realm Reborn. It was both the worst and best thing (in that order) to happen to FF in recent memory, altering not only the release schedule for the offline games but changing how the company approaches design, and in my opinion it will come to be regarded as the defining game of FF for this decade, as well as being the central hub for the fandom as future games continue to go in different directions of narrative presentation and gameplay.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV is my definitive FF in my opinion. It's addition of integrating Ivalice (a version of it) into the world only solidified it.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
I agree it never becomes part of the past, it keeps on evolving.

I love FFXIV a huge amount. It's one of the best FFs so I wouldn't mind it becoming the face of FF

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
I just re-subbed two weeks ago and going through HW and SB expansion content, and holy moly is the story fantastic. HW 3.x content especially caught me off guard with how good it was. Most fun I've had with a FF since IX.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, when i think of Final Fantasy I also think of XIV now almost exclusively. It's a great game, has great support both by devs and the community, and is probably the only universally well received numbered FF title since the PS2 days.

CatDoggo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is the general community around this game? I would love to play this, but several bad online experiences has made me incredibly wary to play anything online anymore. I play games to relax, not to have a toxic community scream slurs at me and the like.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I just re-subbed two weeks ago and going through HW and SB expansion content, and holy moly is the story fantastic. HW 3.x content especially caught me off guard with how good it was. Most fun I've had with a FF since IX.

Once you do the final (3rd) 24-man raid in Stormblood, you got to post your impressions. It's easily the most fun and epic of all of the 24-man raids imho. They gave voices to all of the bosses and the VO does such a good job.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's really good. Definitely in my top 5 FFs. I remember kind of groaning at the FF14 announcement when it was revealed to be an MMO. I played some of 11 but didn't love it. But it turned out to be the best thing FF related since 2006. (I fortunately missed out on the 1.0 days).

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
I plan to dig into this when I get my new PC built. Been reading up on it and it's quite impressive what they have done over the years.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I love the story of the game. Even if I am not as engaged as before with the rest of the content, the story is still great.
I am very happy with the handling of the game and I hope they really go back to a more medieval setting for the next single player FF game.
(*cough* or a FFIX remake at some point *cough*)

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Best FF game i've played (not played many though) and one of the best games i've ever played in general. When i properly started playing it early 2017 i had no idea it would come close to matching the feeling i had when playing WoW for the first time in 2005.
Just fantastic atmosphere, music, characters and story. Can't wait for the expansion.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
How is the general community around this game? I would love to play this, but several bad online experiences has made me incredibly wary to play anything online anymore. I play games to relax, not to have a toxic community scream slurs at me and the like.

Generally fantastic. In higher level content you'll be expected to kind of know what you're doing (watching a guide is fine), but people are always helpful and understanding in my experience.

I'm actually playing WOW for the first time, and am having a similar experience there. I think paid MMOs typically have better communities for whatever reason.

xillyriax

Game Test Analyst
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California, USA
Back when I played (about a year ago) I've had no issues with people waiting to help out newbies in a dungeon or crafting you that item.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I love FFXIV enough that I went and got a (small) tattoo of it, but I still haven't even finished HW /o\ And I've been playing, on and off, since beta phase 3 /o\ /o\ /o\

I keep taking massive breaks, then getting out of practise, and then not playing because I feel like I'll keep causing a wipe or something.

But yeah, even as a longtime fan, XIV is now the first thing that jumps into my mind when I think of the series.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't disagree more. The whole MMO aspect just makes it another MMO with a FF skin IMO. I'm a huge fan of FF, and 11, 12, 13 are some of my least favorite of the bunch. Ff is a SP game. FF15 hasn't done the franchise any favors though.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
Also, this might be controversial, but I think a lot of Soken's work on the soundtack is up there with Uematsu's best stuff. The man is consistently brilliant.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When does the story get good? I didnt really feel much from the main story for ARR

That being said I did love every moment of my time playing it and will go back.

Dec 14, 2017
I don't play XIV, but I do agree. XII was not played by many due to NA release at tail end of PS2, XIII's biggest legacy will be a fantastic documentary on it's troubled development that I hope someone is working on right now, and XV is an extension of the issues of XIII. XIV's continued success will be the only universally fondly remembered element of the franchise for this generation.

But I secretly love XIII-3 and hope the next mainline FF game takes cues from it.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
When does the story get good? I didnt really feel much from the main story for ARR

Once you get to the first expansion, it's probably my favorite in a game, the second one is solid too, though beginning could be a bit weak.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Never had a bad experience. I mean you'll occasionally get some drama with very high level content that is the current popular dungeon or raid that demands very specific timing and role play(or wipe). But you won't be seeing any of that for a looong while.

Just progressing through the story from lvl 1 is super pleasant. It's a single player MMO for a majority of your playtime through vanilla and two expansions and patch content.

Just expect the occasional low lvl dungeon with others to be rushed as most at this point are in it for dailies. Nobody usually complains if you take a moment to soak in the setting. Neither are many of them challenging either with randoms anyway. So no reason for anyone to get on your case.

Oct 27, 2017

99% of the people you encounter will be nice and helpful. Of course there is that 1%... But anyway, you can play a lot of the game single player. You only really need to team up for dungeons and you can watch a youtube video on them for help if you need to. And for less pressure you can play as a DPS class, if you mess up DPS it's not that big of a deal and no one will probably even say anything.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, It's honestly overrated at this point with bland MMO gameplay having played it for so long. That can apply to any game though you've been playing a long time. I'm a bit critical seeing it's an MMO and I feel it should evolve with the times.

Yes for a time I had a great experience because the story is a celebration of classic FF games. For many people who are just invested in the story, I think it's decent. I look at the game as the whole package of it being an MMO and the formula is wearing thin on me. Good for people who are still enjoying it though but probably not for me unless there are major shake ups.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no.

You might think it is the best FF in 13 years or whatever but saying it is the face is almost objectively wrong given XV's sales and viI's enduring impact and upcoming remake

Outside of hardcore sites no one cares about xIV

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't disagree more. The whole MMO aspect just makes it another MMO with a FF skin IMO. I'm a huge fan of FF, and 11, 12, 13 are some of my least favorite of the bunch. Ff is a SP game. FF15 hasn't done the franchise any favors though.

I mean to me it feels just as much Final Fantasy as X, 12, 7, and so on.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017

Heavensward takes the cast of ARR and completely transforms them as characters, ARR may as well have just been the prologue for the overarching plot with 1.0 as a distant prequel. Seriously, even your character goes through some serious shit in the lead-up to Heavensward and beyond, and cements themselves as a character in their own right with a long-running arc instead of a blank slate errand boy/girl that just does what they're told. I was impressed.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no.

You might think it is the best FF in 13 years or whatever but saying it is the face is almost objectively wrong given XV's sales and viI's enduring impact and upcoming remake

Outside of hardcore sites no one cares about xIV

I don't think I'd classify the year 2032 as "upcoming" but sure.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No that's 15. Doesn't matter if you dislike it or think it's unworthy, it just is. Nomura's games and characters are still the face of the series.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Also, this might be controversial, but I think a lot of Soken's work on the soundtack is up there with Uematsu's best stuff. The man is consistently brilliant.

I doubt that's a controversial statement. The music is amazing. Just from the clips of the two new zones from Paris Fanfest, I'm really looking forward to Shadowbringers's soundtrack.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely one of the best FF games. I play it nearly everyday and enjoy it immensely.

It has its flaws, sure, but there is a lot of passion behind the project and you can feel that in the way the development team interacts with their players and how they do listen and try to add features even if the technical debt piles on and makes it tough sometimes.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
People who say it's just an MMO with an FF skin haven't actually played it. I'm a SUPER casual MMO player. I basically only play it for the story and occasional Raids or Primal Fights. This game has the SOUL of FF in it, there's absolutely no denying it. A Soul which this last generation of mainline FF games isn't even close to having. And it's not just the fanservice (a super nice bonus though)