• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
From the Final Fantasy XIV Fan Gathering in London:

Yoshida has been in London to discuss the future of FFXIV. The Dev's are hard at work on FFXIV on PS5!

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I would be more surprised if they WEREN'T making a PS5 version

robot

Oct 27, 2017
So SquareEnix is committing to having it out in the next 6-7 years? Bold of them

Edit: I'm dumb and can't read roman numerals apparently. Good on them for continuing to support 14.

Last edited:

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Figured as much, the question is if there'll be a cut-off point for PS4 like there was with the PS3 version. Guess it depends on how much they take advantage of the hardware with future expansions.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
It's an MMO, of course they have to move to new hardware.
I guess alternatively they can make a brand new game but XIV has a lot left in the tank

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I wonder if, with the supposed HDD speed increase they can make the areas seamless, or at least massively shortened in load times.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Is this the first official PS5 game announcement?
technically ubiosft already confirmed WDL, G&M and rainbow six quarantine will all have a next gen version, and techland also confirmed they are working on next generation versions of Dying light 2.
this is the first time PS5 was directly said as the platform though.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Well obviously.

There's no reason not to port this game. I just hope they add further enhancements like increasing visible player count, or maybe a better anti-aliasing solution.

If they believe in this game I believe they will overhaul the game graphically. I don't think armours and clothes should be this pixelated in 2019

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Who could have saw this coming. I imagine it'll be early since they'll want it out for 6.0.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft already confirmed that Watch Dogs Legion, Rainbow Six Quarantine, Gods & Monsters + 2 unannounced games are cross-gen. We also have official confirmation that whatever Bluepoint is doing will be on PS5.

With Guilty Gear Strive coming out at the end of next year I would expect it to be cross gen as well.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if, with the supposed HDD speed increase they can make the areas seamless, or at least massively shortened in load times.

The game uses the transitions to mask what is supposed to be long distance travel, so the latter is probably the best you could expect, unless they overhaul the entire world map (and tbh the ARR areas could use it)

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope this version can handle tons of people on screen unlike the PS4 Pro version.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I am getting a PS5 day one.

(If it's backwards compatible too I will definitely have a PS4 backlog to work through day one as well...)

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This might be amazing, honestly, and unlock the true potential of FFXIV on console.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Makes sense, the real question for me now the the Xbox one version is official is it will support Scarlett and the base Xbox one or just one of those. Another question is if you will automatically be upgraded to the PS5/ scarlet version if you had the previous console version.

I remember when they upgraded to the PS4 version they upgraded ps3 players for free

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
The game uses the transitions to mask what is supposed to be long distance travel, so the latter is probably the best you could expect, unless they overhaul the entire world map (and tbh the ARR areas could use it)

Yeah, the ARR load times were often atrocious. Any cut to those would be great.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Was expecting this at least, but if they are actually taking advantage of the improved hardware it would be even better.
SSD alone will be a huge upgrade.
The PS3 parts of the game are pretty damn outdated, it would be nice for them to get a next gen overhaul, part of that could be less loading screens.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Playing FFXIV on a SSD is already a god-send so since they're coming to PS5 the loads times are basically going to solve themselves