• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Between that and the base game being free on twitch you can get yourself a LOT of good FFXIV action for pretty damn cheap right now. I've put 5000+ hours into it and I can say its the best MMO I've ever played.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Between that and the base game being free on twitch you can get yourself a LOT of good FFXIV action for pretty damn cheap right now. I've put 5000+ hours into it and I can say its the best MMO I've ever played.

I have a code for the base game. Last day you can use it. PM me.

Edit: Gone

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
So wait if we have a Twitch Prime account can we still get the base game for free and now Heavensward for free?

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I've been obsessed with ARR for the last month thanks to the Prime giveaway. This is exceedingly timely.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
It's free on PSN in the EU too.

As I said in the CAE thread I can't seem to be able to redeem it on my PSN account though. Doesn't seem like they took into account those of us who owned the base game from back when they gave PS3 owners a PS4 version free. :(

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got it, thx. Now i can try to see why everyone hypes the fuck out of Heavensward's story.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've grabbed the expansion from the EU store but it hasn't been activated on Mog Station, how do I do that ?
EDIT: nvm found it, gotta activate the key through the order mail first then copy/paste it on Mog Station

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i always want to return to this, but i don't know if i'll ever have time again in my life for an mmo

for those who do, it's as good as the best in the FF series

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
Oh that's pretty cool! I guess I need the starter edition thing to play this at all though yeah?

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Some details: First off, this is all PC/Mac version only, and is for downloading the game directly from Square, not Steam or anything. If you have Amazon Prime, you can connect that to your Twitch account for free, which gives you certain deals. Right now, one of the deals is Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn base game for free, with 30 days of subscription. That deal lasts until May 3. Now there's this Golden Week deal from Square-Enix themselves, where you can get the first major FFXIV expansion pack, Heavensward, for free - that deal lasts through June 27.

Heavenward extends the story and game quite a bit, basically doubling the size of the game and adding flying mounts. The Heavensward expansion is better than the base game, as the story flows better, most side quests aren't as grindy, dungeons are better, etc. Note that as Heavensward is an extension to the story, you can't actually access most of its content until you've finished the main game "Realm Reborn" story, which takes you through level 50 (similary, you can't access the newer Stormblood expansion content until you've completed Heavensward, and the next expansion "Shadowbringers" requires finishing Stormblood). They do sell an object (for cash) to bypass earlier story bits, but I wouldn't recommend it for new players, it's best to play through the story to learn the characters and their situations, and a better way to learn how to play your character classes. Square has streamlined getting through the earlier parts of the game, making some dungeons/bosses easier and making sure you always have necessary armor and weapons and whatnot without extra grinding.

Last edited:

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
Is today or tomorrow the last day to get the free twitch prime game? Cause it says may 3 but op is saying today

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I can't seem to login with my FFXIV account on the Square-Enix store to claim this. When I do it asks me to import my purchase history by inputting my login details a second time, but when I do it says they're invalid.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Huh I didn't know FFXIV was on Mac, I guess I'll try it out some day.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've really been enjoying all the bonus tomestones of poetics from all the newbies. Can't wait to get more.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is this game better than other mmos right now? I hear the pvp is butts.
It's almost a completely different game in the pvp modes, gear is just for visuals, everyone has the same stats based on the class you are playing regardless of level, pvp uses it's own move sets with abilities doing different things, faster cast times, smaller move pools, and has a pick 3 passive traits and 2 cooldowns system for customization. You can level up just playing pvp matches tho. People either like it or they don't due to how different it is. Another aspect of people not liking it is the community is mostly pretty laid back and casual and the pvp in this requires people to work in synergy to burst down targets in set cooldown windows due to how strong healers are so if people are just jerking around doing whatever no one almost ever dies *4v4 mode*

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I can't seem to login with my FFXIV account on the Square-Enix store to claim this. When I do it asks me to import my purchase history by inputting my login details a second time, but when I do it says they're invalid.

I'm getting login issues as well, not sure if it's specific to my account or if their site is wonky at the moment.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting login issues as well, not sure if it's specific to my account or if their site is wonky at the moment.

Your FFXIV account is different than having a square enix store account. If you've never made a square enix store account you'll have to make a separate account.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
My FFXIV account has always had issues signing into their store. Just make a new account from scratch with a different email. It doesn't need to be the same account as your FFXIV one, they aren't linked in anyway, the store spits out codes which you can redeem on any FFXIV account

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Anyone from Canada know if getting the free code works for them? A friend of mine would love to have Heavensward but she lives in Canada.

EDIT: Also on PSN!

Last edited:

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Is this game better than other mmos right now? I hear the pvp is butts.
It's one of the best MMOs in terms of story content, most MMOs don't even have separate cutscenes for storyline bits except maybe a super rare major scene, while this game plays a lot like an actual Final Fantasy game. It has stories for everything, even things like the carpenter crafting class gets a cool storyline as you progress in levels. The game tries to act as a kind-of overarching "Final Fantasy" world, collecting various parts of Final Fantasy lore into one world.

PVE gameplay is pretty equivalent to other games I've played, namely WoW and Rift. Square is constantly tweaking it and trying to improve it. The story quests are designed to be done single player, occasionally leading to an instanced dungeon or boss fight that is designed for parties (or more rarely, raids), though you can group up to do most of the single player content, though that makes it super easy.

PVP is definitely not something Square puts a lot of effort into, it's more like arranged tournaments in a separate mode.

robesgruyere

One Winged Slayer
Jul 14, 2018
I have a code for the base game (don't think I can post it here), so if you want it, send me a PM! Code is for PC version.

Edit: Gone!

Last edited:

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, grabbed it for my daughter who currently is doing the free trial but I also have a starter edition key from Twitch waiting for her when she's ready to use it.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is even if I added this to my basic version I doubt I'll never reach anything in Heavensward before a month sub is up. Took me so long to get Garuda on SMN and that was my main reason for playing at the time.

xillyriax

Game Test Analyst
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California, USA
Nice been wanting to jump back in. I'm somewhere in ARR, should I just finish it or jump potion to the HW stuff?

Last edited:

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Nice been wanting to jump back in. I'm somewhere in ARR, should I just finish it or jump to the HW stuff?

You can't jump into it. You can't start Heavensward until you finish A Realm Reborn. All the expansions are one ongoing story. You can't start one until you finish the last. In Heavensward, you can't even unlock the Heavnsward jobs until you get to Ishgard. They changed that in Stormblood and Shadowbringers, thanfully.