• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
This post is like a grab-bag of a number of scattered thoughts I got from playing the 1-50 journey, I hope it will be still readable (it's not). Consider that I'm going through the game specifically because I want to play the "unabridged" version of pre-Heavensward, so I'll spend the month of June trying to get to the end of the post-AAR. In my experience pretty much every single attempt to update old content ends up making it worse (an example is Phantasy Star Online 2, that I don't think can be defined other than "butchered"). I have no reason to think the update in FFXIV coming in 2.3 will be bad, but I still want to see how it is right now, especially because I enjoy the flavor and sidetracks.

Right now the 1-50 journey wasn't bad, but for example I think some of the more interesting moments were in the side stories, optional quests and some of that flavor, rather than the major story beats that are often very common and trope-y. So I'm even more determined to play all the content that is offered, rather than rushing as fast as possible, and wished I knew the precise day of the patch to plan things accordingly.

Before I lose everyone's attention I want to get to the point I'm more interested to read people's opinions about: the last few story parts concluding 2.0 were really, REALLY bad. But I'll have to draw a distinction, between story and gameplay.

I know the story doesn't "get good" until at least 2.4, so I'm aware I'm commenting this slow-burn introduction. It is overall an okay story, that is almost a fan-service to all previous FF games, with plenty of classic symbols, from crystal, to primals and magitek armor. It feels like a compendium of FF rather than its own thing, if a little insipid, but I appreciate this. It's a meta-FF. But at the same time the story doesn't really offer anything new or special, it's the average of the trope, and it's neither good nor bad. It is well written, though. And at various points it also has some subtlety and nuance.

...Leading up to the first problem/comment I have about the ending. It's curious how in the middle of the mission I got treated to a really interesting dialogue with Gaius... only to end up getting funneled, after the "victory", to an ENDLESS STREAM OF POINTLESS RHETORIC. The effect of all this is probably the very opposite the writers intended: what Gaius said was way more reasonable (a good portion of it) than the shallow rhetoric that comes from the "good guys". He explained how the people of Eorzea always expected the gods to solve their problems, always at the mercy of greater powers, and that instead for once they should come forward and take things in their hands, be responsible for something, take a goddamn active role instead of just pray someone else to come and fix everything for them. It's an hymn to rationality and change of the status quo, bring change rather than hope for it. He even explains a problem of democracy, always waiting either for a savior or a scapegoat to blame, always relying on what's convenient or comforting, what people want to hear rather than what's true, making things progressively worse instead of better. Of course the character is "bad", so along with all the subtlety there's also plenty that is outright stereotypically bad. But the character had some depth, and this depth is faced by the complete shallowness of the good guys. There are some decent good aspects even on this side, there's plenty about a positive message of integration and diversity. But that's about it. The bad guy spoke more rationally and earnestly than every other character in the game. And I got a little bit of interesting story in the middle of the final mission, just before everything got swept by anti-climactic rhetoric.

Leading this time to the gameplay problem. The last three group missions were ABYSMAL. The very worst the game had to offer to this point. In fact I see a pattern. This is a list of content I've done that was absolutely terrible:
- Solemn Trinity, the level 40 Guildhest
- Operation Archon
- Rock the Castrum
- The Ultimate Weapon

See a pattern? They are all "full party" activities, 8 players rather than the usual 4. This is why I'm worried, because every single time I got in this type of activity, the gameplay was an atrocity.

What's wrong? The same that is wrong in similar games, like Destiny 2 or Warframe. What's wrong is that these aren't interesting PvE encounters, they are wacky races. A variation on Super Mario Kart.

With Operation Archon I got a long cutscene, before and after. With an anti-climatic 10-seconds fight in the middle that was over before I could cast a single spell. I couldn't even SEE the enemy because all there was on screen was a lump of overlapping character models meleeing the poor lad. But of course, the boss was basically dead before I was out of the cutscene.

That's why the last two quests bring a change: now the cutscenes cannot be skipped.

Is it any better? Nope, it's worse, and some of the worst I've seen in any game. So now cutscenes cannot be skipped, and they aren't even just before and after the fact, but they get distributed through the whole mission so that it takes almost an hour. And it's one giant clusterfuck because it ends up like this: a few minutes cutscene -> 20 second race from point A to point B -> cutscene -> race -> cutscene. Because these tiny "gameplay bursts" aren't even necessary, you don't even need to kill the enemies because the thing is built so you simply need to hit the next checkpoint. So I was there watching what amounted to a jerk train, everyone running to the next checkpoint with a group of enemies trailing comically behind. Such climatic conclusion! Such drama! Of course there are also the unskippable bosses. I was healer. I don't know what I was supposed to do most of the times, but the bottom line is that it wasn't needed. You might think it was the other healer doing a good job while I was there looking dumb, but nope. In a couple of fights the other healer wasn't even there, because she died during one of those races and was still trying to catch up. The point is, in pretty much in all the fights of these last two missions healing isn't even necessary. I don't know why, but these four 8-player missions are balanced to be way, WAY easier than everything else in the game up to this point. Even the FIRST level 16 dungeon requires more effort and mindful approach than the last mission with the Omega Weapon. Who has designed this? From the "race to the next checkpoint", to the final showdown with main antagonists that had a build up of a hundred of hours, only to go down in a cheesy fight where I blinked once and the guy was already dead. The multi-phase Ultima Weapon fight was: 5-minutes bombastic cutscene > 30-seconds gameplay slap in the face > 5-minutes cutscene > 30-seconds gameplay slap. WTF? How can anyone think this is an acceptable way to do things?

(I also omitted the fact that at one point I saw everyone with the cutscene icon over their head, but not me. I was there, waiting without an idea of what to do. I tried clicking on a magitek armor that was there in front of everyone, and it said "access denied". So I asked in chat. Someone told me I had to take the lift to go downstairs again, click on a console, take the lift back up, click again on the thing. So by the time I was through this process everyone else was already two steps ahead. I was alone in an area with no exits. After some time a checkpoint appeared and I was eventually teleported to the main party. Almost all the times during the mission there were either missing or dead players, because everyone was running ahead without a care in the world. This is really some of the worst game design I've ever seen.)

So I was worried because I expected these full party activities being harder, more complex, require better attention, be more memorable. It was exactly the opposite: poorly designed, anticlimactic fights, cheesy, and trivially easy. The worst the game offered up to this point. And some really bad choices on how to narrate this part of the story.

It's also a common problem. I've read in the other thread that also the rest of the content was made "easier", because of all the tweaks to the gameplay and classes. The game moves forward and improves, but in the process the older parts always lose something. I'm sure that even if 5.3 brings good changes, something will still be sacrificed. Bad behaviours seep in.

The same it happens in Destiny 2, Warframe, even Diablo, where enemies are more annoyances to slow you down rather than fun-to-play encounters that you learn to deal with. In Warframe you literally skip the enemies by flying right through the place to reach the objective. It's not the way speedrunners break the game, it's how it's designed to be. For me, this destroys my fun and will to play. What's even the point of a "dungeon" if I can run right through it and grab the reward at the end? If the last room is all that matters then just give me the last room.

There is always a breaking point with online games, when the game designer just gives up and doesn't give a fuck: The exploit isn't anymore a bug, it becomes the standard. It's not even exclusive to online games, From Software is filled of examples. Almost half is skill, the other half is knowledge of glitches and exploits, and limits of the engine. Is an enemy falling to its death an artifact of poor AI and buggy pathing, or was it intended as a weakness to use? Probably we will never know. And that's why Sekiro and Bloodborne become better games: because more constraints on player's freedom lead to tighter encounter design. An encounter that plays closer to how it was intended, without letting you take a detour around that difficulty through a cheesy build or a trick or a glitch.

All this leading to another of my concerns: through ARR I levelled two classes, Bard and White Mage, specifically to AVOID outlevelling content. I was using the WHM to get groups quickly in dungeons, and was switching between classes whenever I happened to move ahead. It worked pretty well.

I have a new problem now (beside the horrifying news that now quests are gated by item level, but lets not go there): I started the penultimate quest with my WHM freshly leveled up to 50. Those last two quests alone, with zero rest bonus or other buffs, already put me at level 51. Now I have another 100 quests of post ARR. I've seen these new quests give very little experience, but I'm sure that by the time I'll reach HW I'll be way overleveled again. So I don't know WTF I should do, having these two goals: (1) doing post-ARR at the proper level (2) start HW at the proper level.

(also, why is post-ARR so dreaded? Because I'm sure I'm missing something. 100 quests would normally fly very quickly if there's no gating. Am I going to have to grind for equipment? Are there sidetracks that stretch this journey?)

For HW it probably might be a good idea to level up a DK from 30 to 50, so that I can play HW fresh with that, maybe switching to WHM when I go into a dungeon. But WTF does happen with 2.0 > 2.5? Can I use bard for questing, with the hope it won't let me outlevel things, while I use my WHM as a "dump" for all the excess of quest xp points and dungeons? Why these games don't create stricter caps so that they stay fun to play without forcing me to architect ways to stay at the proper level? (In Destiny 2 I had to deliberately lower my item level to keep the missions fun to play and not become another trivial race, option that was then even removed when they forced everyone to the level cap, making all story content stupid easy with no option to salvage it, gone, dead, buried, only a memory for those players who got to play it, and no way for new ones to ever see it the way it was intended)

That's my whole point through all this rambling post: everything deteriorates. Content is rushed through, experience rewards get increased again and again, characters become always more powerful and enemies always weaker. Good games become shit because of this. There's a widening rift between popular content that is constantly trivialized into nothing, and meaningful "raid" content that is inaccessible for most players. The day this gap opens too wide, the game dies (of a very slow death). It happens to all of them, from World of Warcraft to Destiny 2. They all get progressively easier to lure players through shallow rewards. Content that was once pretty fun is trivialized to the point is becomes just a pointless chore, but players will blame its "age", rather than poor design that messes up what was working. They shower you with easier rewards until no value exists anymore. New players arrive and find content that has deteriorated not because it's "old", but because it has been misshaped by years of bad behaviors.

5.3 might make things flow better, but I'm quite sure it will also make things meaningless. It will shove in your face tons of XP, make you even more horribly overleveled and over equipped, encourage to rush through everything. The hope is to cut this early weaker part, sure, but I'm certain it will still lose something in the process, and from that day it won't be available anymore in its original form. In fact some of it is gone already, but I don't know because I wasn't there. FOMO.

This because I'm sure those last two quests, when they were originally released, weren't THAT bad. Now they are, and I got what I got. Squaresoft will go back and make things faster. But they won't go back and make things better. No one does that. If you ask me, making these quests better would be much more important than make them faster.

TL;DR
Make things better, don't make them just faster.

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
The first 3 8-party activities are definitely the worst. The first Trial is a meme level status and those two end game dungeons are the only content like that in the game cause they realized how bad of an idea it was. Everything past that feels a lot more well designed than those. Also Gaius's point isn't very good when them "helping" Eorzea is basically enslaving them. The Empire is developed throughout every part of the game so there is obviously a lot more going on there but yeah, ARR they are just very bad without really seeing how bad it is under them.

The 2.1-2.5 has a loooot of going back and forth for cutscenes which some people hate. I personally started liking it when they introduced the character Yugiri and that plotline.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'll be happy to know that those two instances are the only ones like that in the entire game. Everyone knows they are terrible and the devs never put anything else like that into the game.

The reason they are so easy is presumably because the only reason people still play them is because they can put on netflix on the side and half-AFK their way through them for some easy rewards. If they were harder most people probably wouldn't bother anymore and newer players would have to wait hours to get into a group. A lot of people were hoping they'd just turn them into single-player instances in the upcoming patch but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen

Group content gets much better throughout the expansions, though there's still a bunch of stuff that's way too easy nowadays (mainly some optional endgame stuff for each expansion). The rest has a pretty nice difficulty curve, though it's still balanced so that even the more casual players can get through it so don't expect anything super difficult until the endgame.

OP
OP

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
Also Gaius's point isn't very good when them "helping" Eorzea is basically enslaving them.

Well yes. The "speech" is good, Gaius actions comically hypocritical. He's the one who has to rely on a Ultima Weapon in order to compete, and has to rely on the "greater power" of the Ascians that ultimately fuck him over.

Jul 24, 2018
Binding Coil is alot more interesting story wise than the actual end game. and it is unfortunately a raid series most people won't play.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
I'll echo what has already been said. You are through the worst of the group content you will outpower. You will be overpowered for most group content you'll face from here until the most recent expansion, not only because of your own level but because you will be paired with people level syncing down from cap with insane gear. BUT, you won't melt through anything else quite like you melted through the end of 2.0. It's a different scale altogether.

I also wish that content didn't get "retired" with better gear. It would be nice to be able to experience it at the original difficulty. I've been lucky enough to play through all of the non-ARR other content when it was relevant, and the tuning was really satisfying. I hope you'll get to Shadowbringers and have that experience.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
haha great timing, I just finished ARR this evening. those last two dungeons with the lengthy unskippable cutscenes were terribly paced, I couldn't wait for them to be over tbh.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah those two dungeons are the worst offenders. Even back when 2.1 had just come out they were a mess.

The whole unable to skip cutscene thing is actually a somewhat recent change. There's basically just not a big enough constant flow of new players for the dungeon queue times to be reasonable so the devs encourage players who have cleared it to rerun it for a decent of chunk of xp to improve the queue times for new players. But the cutscenes are so goddamn long and boring that no one wanted to watch them so they would queue up, skip the cutscenes, kill the bosses, skip the next cutscenes, reach the next boss and so on while the new players watching the cutscenes would still be on the first cutscene...its like the magitech key part you experienced only at the very beginning and for the rest of the dungeon cause they didn't have the boss teleport back then. This went on for years until a while back when they disable the ability to skip the cutscenes in both dungeons.

They thankfully have learned their lesson from this and haven't really repeated the same errors. Cutscenes for the most part are reserved for the very beginning and very end of dungeons/raids after that point.

Im hopeful that they'll eventhally go back to these 2 dungeons and program the trust AI (Shadowbringers dungeon ai for solo dungeon runs)for it.

One thing you might not be aware though is the game has the option of hitting you with a nerf bat to make old encounters closer to what they were at launch. You'll need to sacrifice the auto matchmaker to use it though, but the option is there if you're able to find people who want to run stuff with you like that (most of the community wont be up for that though). Under the duty finder menu at the top left there's a gear icon, click it and then select minimum item level and silence echo options to run the dungeon at the minimum stats for it. There's been other changes to the game since that stuff launched though so it won't be exactly the same but it's the closest you can get.

RQbhpZm.png

You can use Party Finder to attempt to recruit others to run stuff like that just put in the comment section "min ilv run first time". Like I said though, the community isn't really into those type of runs so your success at running stuff like that will be challenging.

For your overleveling class dilemma, Samurai and Red Mage start at 50 I believe if you own Shadowbringer/Stormblood. Maybe run the 2.x stuff on those classes and then switch back to WHM when you hit hw.

As for why the 2.x stuff is so hated, it's cause its mostly tedious busywork to pad the msq. Go here talk to thi person then come back to where you started and then go over there just for the fuck of it kind of stuff. Another error they committed early on that eventually was rectified in later patches.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
I largely have the same thoughts about 2.0's story being kinda a "meta FF" and honestly didn't like that part about it as it felt shoe horned and not really original.

I liked the 2.1-2.5 story even more than 2.0 as it dealt with actually some interesting themes (not gonna spoil it) and of course there is THAT moment too.

Rest assured the story goes from ok/good to amazing/best FF story ever in heavensward and shadowbringers - stormblood is still great just not on that level.

I think the more you play the more you realize that making 2.0 "better instead of faster" doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. All it ever was good for was introducing the player to the characters and the world.

And the faster players can do that and get to the REALLY GOOD SHIT.. the better.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Binding Coil is alot more interesting story wise than the actual end game. and it is unfortunately a raid series most people won't play.
Bahamut, Castrum, and Praetorium need to be redone so the Main Scenario roulette can die the death it deserves and 1.0's storyline can get the conclusion it deserves. Also so Alisaie can not feel like a total ass-pull in the Heavesnward post-game.

OP
OP

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah those two dungeons are the worst offenders. Even back when 2.1 had just come out they were a mess.

The whole unable to skip cutscene thing is actually a somewhat recent change. There's basically just not a big enough constant flow of new players for the dungeon queue times to be reasonable so the devs encourage players who have cleared it to rerun it for a decent of chunk of xp to improve the queue times for new players. But the cutscenes are so goddamn long and boring that no one wanted to watch them so they would queue up, skip the cutscenes, kill the bosses, skip the next cutscenes, reach the next boss and so on while the new players watching the cutscenes would still be on the first cutscene...its like the magitech key part you experienced only at the very beginning and for the rest of the dungeon cause they didn't have the boss teleport back then. This went on for years until a while back when they disable the ability to skip the cutscenes in both dungeons.

But they HAVE options if they wanted to use them.

1- Cut away all cutscenes to pack them into a cinematic movie to watch afterwards, while making the gameplay moderately challenging.
2- Now they have AI companions, remake the whole thing into a solo dungeon.

My point is that it's more important to keep the early game fun rather than make it faster. They would have more positive outcome by allocating resources to improve the content rather than just making some cuts.

For your overleveling class dilemma, Samurai and Red Mage start at 50 I believe if you own Shadowbringer/Stormblood. Maybe run the 2.x stuff on those classes and then switch back to WHM when you hit hw.

I've only checked HW and the requirement was completing the 100 quests post ARR, are the classes in the other two expansions available before the 2.x stuff?

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been suggested for a pretty long time that they should make Castrum and Prae into solo story instances, with the Ultima fight as its own trial. Their solution instead was that they are now Netflix and Chill sessions. /shrug

The game's vertical gear progression (and wonky item sync) unfortunately means old content becomes rapidly obsolete. It's nice for random roulettes for content you last did literally years ago, but it also ruins the experience for new players due to how many mechanics get ignored or just outright skipped. You can technically run them all synced at minimum item level, but you're going to need to find a dedicated community for that outside of the game.

did you know that Thanos in Syrcus Tower used to have actual mechanics? you never see any of this anymore

(also, why is post-ARR so dreaded? Because I'm sure I'm missing something. 100 quests would normally fly very quickly if there's no gating. Am I going to have to grind for equipment? Are there sidetracks that stretch this journey?)

2.x is generally hated because it's a tedious slog that's as long as the expansion itself, and the first big chunk (2.1 to, say, 2.3) features a whole bunch of teleporting between NPCs. Back and forth. Once you get through that, the story picks up and finds purpose in setting up Heavensward.

As far as the story bits go, Heavensward gives you more of a personal reason to get invested. Stormblood bites off more than it can chew, and Shadowbringers has a really good villain figure and interesting lore implications.

Gearing isn't an issue. You're introduced to the endgame currency system with Tomestone of Poetics, which you trade in for a set of Ironworks gear from Mor Dhona. That will last you until around the level 53 (55 if you push it) dungeon. That goes for the expansion endgame gear as well. Shire gear will take you to level 63, and Scaevan to level 73.

The ARR era is kind of the wild west as far as game design goes. Coils is a testament to that, lol.

Comandr

Feb 14, 2018
The mad rush to the bosses in dungeons is one of the reasons I quit the game after multiple returns. On top of all of the classes feeling so homogenized it doesn't really matter what you pick or play. As a healer, my job was always to run behind the tank who would pull every monster he could find until some arbitrary point and then blow all of my CDs desperately trying to keep him alive and if I couldn't then I was at fault. I always hated that during boss fights you were expected to watch YouTube videos to find out how to not die. God forbid anyone die or lose and you get Echo. Created a really toxic environment for me.

The trust system in the last expansion was one of the best things for me. If only you could use that everywhere. Removing random players from the equation in this massively multiplayer online game would probably be the only thing that could save it for me, and that's freaking awful.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah they nerfed a few ARR dungeons/fights that originally required team coordination:
  • Pharos Sirius - Trash used to hit a lot harder and players had to pay attention to their debuffs during the final boss fight. Not heeding them used to lead to a cascade of failures and ultimately a wipe. Now trash can be pulled wall-to-wall and the punishment for not doing the siren fight correctly is next to nothing.
  • The Dragon's Maw - Typhon's mega sneeze (an interruptible aoe attack) used to blow everyone out of the arena and thus force a wipe. Its knockback was significantly reduced in one of the heavensward/stormblood patches (don't know which one exactly). Now players can do everything wrong and still beat the fight by pure luck.
  • Steps of Faith - Main boss used to have a ton more HP. People had to set off the traps correctly to deal enough damage to kill it before time ran out. People didn't bother doing this. Now it's just a giant pinata.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a 1.0 player this was fascinating to read this far down the line as I've become completely numb to those 8-player duties. I have nothing to add that others haven't already said but I look forward to your analysis going further into the 2.x patches.

OP
OP

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
The mad rush to the bosses in dungeons is one of the reasons I quit the game after multiple returns. On top of all of the classes feeling so homogenized it doesn't really matter what you pick or play. As a healer, my job was always to run behind the tank who would pull every monster he could find until some arbitrary point and then blow all of my CDs desperately trying to keep him alive and if I couldn't then I was at fault. I always hated that during boss fights you were expected to watch YouTube videos to find out how to not die. God forbid anyone die or lose and you get Echo. Created a really toxic environment for me.

The trust system in the last expansion was one of the best things for me. If only you could use that everywhere. Removing random players from the equation in this massively multiplayer online game would probably be the only thing that could save it for me, and that's freaking awful.

The experience was generally good for me. Short queues and all the dungeons had to be played properly. Only a couple of cases with the higher level dungeons were more of a rush.

I got only a problem in the dungeon where there's poison. I didn't know you had to eat mushrooms and two people ragequitted before someone told me what to do. Then we completed that boss in 3 rather than 4. But as I said that was limited 1 to 50. In fact I'm surprised. I could do all the dungeons, including those few that are optional, and they seemed to play out usually as intended. Probably a lot easier, but at least they required a minimum of attention. Easy, but not stupid easy.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, there's basically nothing interesting between those bosses. It might be fun to explore or take your time the very first time you go through, but otherwise it's just boring trash mobs. That's bad design, but I can hardly blame the playerbase. (And if it's your first time, there's often a currency bonus, so people should be chill about it.)

Generally I find the community quite positive and rarely do I encounter overt negativity. But it might be my server, I dunno.

Also, I disagree about homogeneity. Sure, one healer has the same overall role as another healer, but each feels quite different in terms of how they mechanically function.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they nerfed a few ARR dungeons/fights that originally required team coordination:
  • Pharos Sirius - Trash used to hit a lot harder and players had to pay attention to their debuffs during the final boss fight. Not heeding them used to lead to a cascade of failures and ultimately a wipe. Now trash can be pulled wall-to-wall and the punishment for not doing the siren fight correctly is next to nothing.
  • The Dragon's Maw - Typhon's mega sneeze (an interruptible aoe attack) used to blow everyone out of the arena and thus force a wipe. Its knockback was significantly reduced in one of the heavensward/stormblood patches (don't know which one exactly). Now players can do everything wrong and still beat the fight by pure luck.
  • Steps of Faith - Main boss used to have a ton more HP. People had to set off the traps correctly to deal enough damage to kill it before time ran out. People didn't bother doing this. Now it's just a giant pinata.

I think i've had more wipes in ARR dungeons that any others tbh. Aurum Vale can still fuck people up if they pull too much. And I've been wiped in Pharos Sirius too lol. The 2 bosses before can actually kill groups, especially the second one if someone doesn't know what is happening.

I don't know how you have had that experience because I've never seen anyone get mad in dungeons or most Trials for wipes. And the game's readable mechanics are good enough that you don't really need to watch videos for most content. Maybe some of the raids but the game has a pretty simple visual language for most things.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I just wish there was more to the dungeons than just bosses. They just feel empty and lifeless apart from trash mobs. There isn't any incentive to explore. That goes for the game world too...unless you're mining or searching for materials for crafting there is zero reason to go off the beaten path.
The loot rewards in terms of equipment suck in the game. There's no rng or mystery to any items you could find. WoW did this better so much variation in items.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I just wish there was more to the dungeons than just bosses. They just feel empty and lifeless apart from trash mobs. There isn't any incentive to explore. That goes for the game world too...unless you're mining or searching for materials for crafting there is zero reason to go off the beaten path.
The loot rewards in terms of equipment suck in the game. There's no rng or mystery to any items you could find. WoW did this better so much variation in items.

As someone that recently went through the game myself... there's a fairly clear difference between the dungeon designs in ARR, and the expansions. I'm not sure if I'm the biggest fan of how linear they've become myself.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
As someone that recently went through the game myself... there's a fairly clear difference between the dungeon designs in ARR, and the expansions. I'm not sure if I'm the biggest fan of how linear they've become myself.
I've only played up to the start of HW but I found the world lore and design great but there seems to be nothing to really make you wanna explore it including the dungeons.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Guild Wars 2 does open world maps a lot better. If you go off the beaten path, you might find a hidden jumping puzzle that has a reward at the end. And the outcome of most events will affect the map in some way - for example, if bandits successfully take over a bridge, they will blow it up. Also, completing most events will net you loot boxes that give you weapons with randomized stats and effects.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Guild Wars 2 does open world maps a lot better. If you go off the beaten path, you might find a hidden jumping puzzle that has a reward at the end. And the outcome of most events will affect the map in some way - for example, if bandits successfully take over a bridge, they will blow it up. Also, completing most events will net you loot boxes that give you weapons with randomized stats and effects.
That sounds great this is exactly something that ff14 needed.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Me listening to Gaius' speech the first time:

tenor.gif

Buuuuut the empire is cartoonishly evil so all of his points are moot.

And people dread ARR's post-game because it's incredibly tedious until the very last quests where stuff actually happens with the story.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You write very well. 2.0-2.3/4 is bad because it's hours of banal fetch quests with no experience gain or much voice acting (although it ramps up closer to 2.4). Story was awesome right before the "to be continued in Heavensward!"

Gaius was a typical benevolent dictator Sith kind of guy but well done.

Last edited:

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Very interesting read!
I've played a little over the years I think I have like a 40 arcanist/something white mage.
I was mostly soloing, but when I did dungeons no one would talk, I would chase after the tank who pulled a million mobs at a time with me barely keeping him alive, I had no idea what we were doing puzzle wise - basically it was a total clusterfuck and the opposite of fun.

I recently considered coming back because I live a lot about the game but hearing how much BS is to come in dungeons and the attitude of everyone in dungeons, I just haven't done it.

I even bought all the expansions so I have all of it but just need to summon the determination to get thru all this bad crap and on to the good.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
People will go down side paths in dungeons exactly one time. Ever. No reason to make them non-linear.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They're hyper-linear, of course, but in a way I feel like they are able to direct a more impactful narrative within each dungeon via that method. Kind of like if you were going through a sophisticated Disney World ride. There's no choice or variation in each run through but they're able to more succinctly time narration cues and set pieces for maximum payoff. It's not perfectly suited to every dungeon in the game, but stuff like
Amaurot
really benefits from the format.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I realized I never watched the cutscenes of the last 2 dungeons of 2.0, when I did those it was pre-Heavensward and you could skip every scenes. Since that part I put like 400 hours in the game and still don't know what happened there except for the final boss of 2.0 (because I like the music so much)

OP
OP

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
Well, to conclude this I can say that today I enabled both Red Mage and Samurai, although they appear fairly complex mechanically and I don't know where to start. But with 4 classes at 50 I'm far less concerned about the risk of overlevelling. I'm doing stuff with my BRD that's still at level 47, then when it's time to cash the reward I switch to WHM at 51.

I now have the quest journal filled up with side activities. I also finished the first 6/100 of the new goal. I can see why people might complain, but I'm very patient and for me it's currently a non-issue. As long I can progress and be done before the next patch I'm good. My worry was about some sort of block that asked me to do something more complex and put on hold these quests. But if I can easily complete 6 a day with little effort then I don't see where the problem is. In 10 days I'd be 60% done.

I don't even need to run the Leveling Roulette and Guildhests since there are no levels to get. I'm just a little worried about item level gating.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Well, to conclude this I can say that today I enabled both Red Mage and Samurai, although they appear fairly complex mechanically and I don't know where to start. But with 4 classes at 50 I'm far less concerned about the risk of overlevelling. I'm doing stuff with my BRD that's still at level 47, then when it's time to cash the reward I switch to WHM at 51.

I now have the quest journal filled up with side activities. I also finished the first 6/100 of the new goal. I can see why people might complain, but I'm very patient and for me it's currently a non-issue. As long I can progress and be done before the next patch I'm good. My worry was about some sort of block that asked me to do something more complex and put on hold these quests. But if I can easily complete 6 a day with little effort then I don't see where the problem is. In 10 days I'd be 60% done.

I don't even need to run the Leveling Roulette and Guildhests since there are no levels to get. I'm just a little worried about item level gating.

You should be able to use the tomestones to buy weapons you need. or you can just turn to the market board, i usually bought the best weapon set for that level when i reached 50 60 and 70.