• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Man I wish I went all in on FF14 when realm reborn was released. Feels like I'm a bit late to the party now, plus I can't really commit the money to it.

Hyped for 16 though so looking forward to more of that!

Edit: oh shit I forgot about the free trial! And thanks to those who reassured me i wasn't too late!

Last edited:

Hexnest

Sep 18, 2020
YoshiP's really proven himself to be an amazing asset for Square Enix. It's hard to imagine him having a busier year considering that he's already super involved with Final Fantasy XIV.

I hope we get some more FFXVI news soon, I'm dying for any little scrap.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be rad, 6.0 will be my first expansion jumping in from the start and I expect 16 will be out by 2022. Watched the 16 trailer earlier today and got hyped again.

Cellsplitter

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
020.gif

plastic love

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 19, 2019
Man I wish I went all in on FF14 when realm reborn was released. Feels like I'm a bit late to the party now, plus I can't really commit the money to it.

I won't be the last person to to reply to this I'm sure, but it's never too late to join FF14. With 2.0 and 3.0 free to play to new players, you're only spending your own time, not from your wallet. Also there is absolutely a subset of people who only sub for the story content and duck out until the next story patch or expansion comes out, no need to sub every month.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017

The money i've spent on FFXIV is the best game-related money i've ever spent. And as others have said, it has hundreds of hours that are free to play.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping we get a XIV XVI crossover event in a timely manner!

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

AGHH. I hate reading this because people like me sound like a broken record in every 14 thread BUT:

You have at least 80 hours of JRPG goodness in the free trial with the fantastic first expansion included at no additional cost. Each expansion after that comes with the latest one which routinely goes on sale for 20/30 bucks all the time. Each its own 40 hour story with 10 hours of story patches full of dungeon and trials in-between.

14 is not some insurmountable 12 month subscription commitment. Next month slow on new releases? Sub and go through the next expac and come back later if you get busy. Millions of people pay only for a month when a new patch comes out then unsub until the next one, which the producer even encourages. They literally restructured the entire base 2.0 game for people like you so I dont know why you have the impression you would be late for anything. This isn't a traditional MMO or F2p game with a dozen layers and systems that are thrown at you at once. 14 is a theme park MMO and classic FF game at once that is basically 95% solo with an amazing commuity that is designed to be easy to get into.

If anything, buying the latest expansion that gives you everything, including one month free, is probably one of the best values in terms of time/experience out there right now, even if you end up paying for an additional 3 months on top of it.

Last edited:

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe he'll finally get a chance to go snowboarding after XIV 6.0 and XVI are released.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Final Fantasy XIV and Final Fantasy XVI are going to be directly connected somehow, I have a gut feeling.

plastic love

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 19, 2019
I wonder if they will launch 6.0 with a PS5 version, I've heard the PS4 version runs well on PS5 but I'd imagine they would want to optimise as best they can as time goes on.

As for 16, I'm pretty excited. I'm optimistic for Christmas 2021 and as long as they make a FF16 themed PS5 not look too terrible, I'll buy the two at the same time.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they will launch 6.0 with a PS5 version, I've heard the PS4 version runs well on PS5 but I'd imagine they would want to optimise as best they can as time goes on.

FFXIV on PS4 launched quite a while before Heavensward, so it's possible we get it in 5.5. But that was a unique situation in that FFXIV did not run on the PS4 at all because of no BC.

There is also the XBOX version, which has been soft confirmed for a while and something Microsoft wants.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to hear more about FFXVI. It's one of my most anticipated FF in a LONG TIME. Single-player, offline, medieval-fantasy FF in HD... my dream has finally come true! That and more info about new characters, new Eikons, and the mysterious world that is Valisthea. I wanna see chocobo travel (main character riding around), maybe even boat/ship travel and some sort of airship. More of this cool "Final Fantasy AS FUCK" location:
Final-Fantasy-XVI-keyart-01.jpg

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this. Shiva exists in a very specific context in FFXIV; that can't just be slapped around elsewhere in the same continuity. I'd love for FFXVI to end up being connected to Eorzea if not for huge sticking points like Shiva.
Shiva is Yohi P's Lightning rofl. I meant more along the lines of both games using Eikon for summons and so on.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this. Shiva exists in a very specific context in FFXIV; that can't just be slapped around elsewhere in the same continuity. I'd love for FFXVI to end up being connected to Eorzea if not for huge sticking points like Shiva.

Could be a shard rather than Eorzea itself.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they keep it simple with XVI. No movie/n'aime/spécial demo/etc with this one please, just make a great game

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I am ambivalent toward XVI since it seems they went for "Dark Souls of Final Fantasy", at least from the trailers, but would like to see more info though.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
That really doesn't mean anything. Final Fantasy IV, IX, XIII, and Type-0 call their summons eidolons, but that doesn't make them connected to each other.

That's even worse.
I know that's why I said they'd be connected only through terminology. Check my initial post.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
There are already no less than 3 Shivas in XIV as it is, and two of those Shivas seem like they're at least somewhat similar in nature to how XVI is handling summoning. The shards being what they are, it's entirely possible that this is how summoning evolved on one of the other worlds.

Having said that, I'd say it's pretty unlikely. At the end of the day this is still a numbered Final Fantasy, so it has to be able to stand on its own.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Hopefully they saw what SEGA is doing with PSO2: NGS and have thought "maybe it's time to modernize our game a bit." (wishful thinking)

Regardless I'm looking forward to both XIV 6.0 and XVI. I trust yoship to deliver on both, and Shadowbringers has been a great experience from launch to the current raid tier.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully they saw what SEGA is doing with PSO2: NGS and have thought "maybe it's time to modernize our game a bit." (wishful thinking)

Regardless I'm looking forward to both XIV 6.0 and XVI. I trust yoship to deliver on both, and Shadowbringers has been a great experience from launch to the current raid tier.

NG is PSO3 in everything but name. Nothing of value even carries over. It's not a modernization, but a sequel. 14 is far far too successful for that, and being sub based, requires a strict content pipeline and production to keep numbers high that a reinvestment doesn't make financial sense.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
FFXVI is my current most anticipated game. I'm hoping they can get it where it needs to be to release next year!

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Should we temper our expectations for FFXVI? Everyone is chuffed that Yoshida is involved but let's not forget he is only producer not director. The director for FFXVI is still unproven at this time no?

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Should we temper our expectations for FFXVI? Everyone is chuffed that Yoshida is involved but let's not forget he is only producer not director. The director for FFXVI is still unproven at this time no?

Hiroshi Takai were the director of The Last Remnant and the assistant director for FFXIV ARR and Heavensward. Also involved with FFXI but not sure what role he had with that game.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Man, having to wait till Oct/Nov for 6.0 would be really brutal.

I think that'd be a much much larger delay then what is anticipated.

Oh? What would you say is a more appropriate guess? I'm a new player, (I literally just started Shadowbringers yesterday lol) so I wouldn't really know the expectations on release timings.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
It's remarkable that Yoshida has kept up this work ethic for so long. Going to be an exciting year!

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Oh? What would you say is a more appropriate guess? I'm a new player, (I literally just started Shadowbringers yesterday lol) so I wouldn't really know the expectations on release timings.

Well, it will be delayed no doubt, but every expansion has landed around late June or Early July.

I could see it being pushed into August, maybe early September. Cause obviously they've been working on the expansion at the same time as all of the patches.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017

Covid has pushed back Final Fantasy XIV development by roughly three months. Every other expansion has been released late June or early July. You can expect 6.0 to be around September or October 2021.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Covid has pushed back Final Fantasy XIV development by roughly three months. Every other expansion has been released late June or early July. You can expect 6.0 to be around September or October 2021.

Hm... I could still see them getting it out before October at the very least. The expansions development has likely been more of a priority then the patches, not that those have dropped in quality mind you.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Regarding FFXVI.... keep imagining FFXV wilderness and fields and mountains and forests as well as towns with castles and houses and buildings. Exploration between the areas and deep into towns. I imagine all these things but expanded and evolved greatly. Castles with many rooms and dungeons and secret passageways. Deep forests. Behemoths roaming the field dynamically, as well as other enemies. They don't just sit in one spot, they are actually alive and roam (like the jump fest 2015 FFXV trailer showed). A more dynamic interaction between the character or party and enemies / monsters. With a much bigger world and distances between towns and regions..chocobo riding can be felt better. Hunts and quests in and out of towns will be so sick. I cannot wait for XVI. I cannot wait to see more.

Meta

"This guy are sick"
Oct 29, 2017
Yoshida has a great track record with project management. I wouldn't be surprised if it made a 2021 release.

Regarding FFXVI.... keep imagining FFXV wilderness and fields and mountains and forests as well as towns with castles and houses and buildings. Exploration between the areas and deep into towns. I imagine all these things but expanded and evolved greatly. Castles with many rooms and dungeons and secret passageways. Deep forests. Behemoths roaming the field dynamically, as well as other enemies. They don't just sit in one spot, they are actually alive and roam (like the jump fest 2015 FFXV trailer showed). A more dynamic interaction between the character or party and enemies / monsters. With a much bigger world and distances between towns and regions..chocobo riding can be felt better. Hunts and quests in and out of towns will be so sick. I cannot wait for XVI. I cannot wait to see more.

None of this is bad, but aren't we getting ahead of ourselves in terms of hype and expecations? For all we know, FFXVI could be similar in scale to God of War or FF7R (which isn't a bad thing, either).