• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
They're the same city!!!

And I don't even remember what part of Zanarkand you get to see aside from the intro section and a Tidus dream sequence. If that's all then Academia is way better imo.

The Zanarkand ruins is one of the last areas in the game(where Yunalesca is). You don't get much of a sense for it's scale besides the skybox as you descend from Mt. Gagazet. A Fleeting Dream plays and doesn't stop in combat. GOAT tier vg music.

I love it when music keeps looping seamlessly as you enter and exit combat with no alteration. It gives the area an appropriate level of somberness for the story.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I really enjoyed XIII-2. Great soundtrack, fun battle system, nonsense story though with all the time paradoxes. I think I grinded to 99 in the 400 AF version of Academia. The spawn rate was good for something.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Insomnia and Altissia are from XV.

Think about Academia like this: the concept is a sprawling megatropolis that likely kept building up and up because of lack of room to expand outward. That's fine as a concept. But the limitations of development and hardware does not emphasize the sort of overcrowding you would expect. There aren't a bunch of people walking up stairs while people of privilege are able to take the quick and convenient escalators. The neon signs are there, but it doesn't feel super gaudy as if it's a desperate attempt for store owners to bring people into their shop as opposed to the dozens of similar shops. It doesn't even seem that different than some places like in Tokyo. The buildings are all pristine and a white/light grey tone, with no personality. In a city so crowded and with such tight spaces surely it would be difficult to maintain cleanliness. I could go on and on with examples like this.

The point is the city seems very superficial, and that it relies on common tropes to convey the futuristic setting amplifies the artificiality. So to do the countless walkways and escalators. It doesn't feel like a cohesive part of a real city, but rather a basic sci-fi city that Square Enix didn't have the time, resources or desire to make into an actual open world or semi-open space, so they crafted a bunch of corridors and smaller areas almost randomly connected and put a fairly basic backdrop to make it feel bigger and more open than it is.

By the way Altissia is like a pseudoscience, Final Fantasy version of Venice, Italy. It does that tightly constrained city better and which a truly awesome design and aesthetic. So I'm not disparaging Academia just because it has a lot of corridors.
Yeah, this was my opinion. It felt fresh getting there for the first time, but I quickly realized that the whole thing felt dead.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Yeah, this was my opinion. It felt fresh getting there for the first time, but I quickly realized that the whole thing felt dead.

I guess another way for me to describe it is that it felt like a PS2 big city in a JRPG that they didn't have the time to be super ambitious with so they created the facade. And it's a pretty facade, but ultimately it was like a trick. Does that make sense?

The theme song for the city was very pretty though.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Still unsure if it's good or just good in contrast to 13 lol.
Serah, Noel and Mog beat 13 cast easily. 13-2 should have been 13, period. And then expand on its premise.

Back on topic, agree with you OP, Academia is awesome. Loved it so much I used to spend time watching it.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Really hoping for a remaster. I liked them all even if it wasn't the greatest in the franchise.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
The city was pretty neat-looking, but if I recall correctly, the framerate on the PS3 was pretty atrocious on the city. It gave me slight headache, which is really rare with games. Still, not bad by any means.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Apologize

7tLR74E.jpg
No.

I think this moogle is the worst design. I just don't like their haemorrhoid face. Ivalice moogles are the best.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
While I really like FF13-2 I didn't think Academia was special outside of being visually cool. I was more impressed by FF12 cities in the gen prior.

The night-time version is cool though

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
One of the more underrated FF locations for sure. You have to go through hell to get through 400 AF but once you change the timeline to create 4XX AF it's such a cool-looking place to explore. And Academia 500 AF makes for an interesting, if sometimes infuriating, final dungeon.

The quiz minigames scattered around 4XX are bullshit, though.

Square really needs to do a remastered trilogy
Eh, the games still look gorgeous (the dog model and some N64-caliber textures in Lightning Returns notwithstanding). If they would just patch XIII + XIII-2 PC so that they use more than one processor core, that would be perfect.

Deleted member 32973

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
sorry, while the city is very colorful with those neon flashy signs, I felt the design is quite generic and I always think it as a Xenosaga Miltia city ripoff

Edit: That night time with rain is very breathtaking tho

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
The battle system is better than XIII, that's for sure
Holy shit no. Not even close. The battle system, in fact, was my largest disappointment going from XIII to XIII-2 and the biggest reason I don't rate it as highly.

XIII had one of the best difficulty curves in all of FF games and in a lot of JRPGs. XIII-2 was a stupid easy walk in the park. It wasn't good.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I played the game but have no idea if I ever was in that city.. These games really left no impression on me.. They were so bland

Anas

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Holy shit no. Not even close. The battle system, in fact, was my largest disappointment going from XIII to XIII-2 and the biggest reason I don't rate it as highly.

XIII had one of the best difficulty curves in all of FF games and in a lot of JRPGs. XIII-2 was a stupid easy walk in the park. It wasn't good.

It's more tolerable than XIII at the beginning

In XIII... the actual game starts after the seventh chapter (10 hours later), it was such a bummer and boring and even hard

I respect your opinion... IMO I see that's XIII-2 is better than XIII. Maybe it's nostalgia I don't know, SE give that remastered trilogy

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
It's more tolerable than XIII at the beginning

In XIII... the actual game starts after the seventh chapter (10 hours later), it was such a bummer and boring and even hard

I respect your opinion... IMO I see that's XIII-2 is better than XIII. Maybe it's nostalgia I don't know, SE give that remastered trilogy

XIII-2 was a fun game, but overall it was a bummer. The biggest thing I loved in XIII was the battle system and I felt XIII-2 critically fumbled that.

Other than that the game just screams that it started out as something else and was shoved into the XIII universe despite not really being able to connect as gracefully as it should. Rip it out of the XIII universe and make it an original IP with a decent budget and we'd have a classic. As it is, it's just a pale version of XIII that did everything better imo.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Never played/knew anything about FXIII-2 (got bogged down by the first games linearity) but I'll start looking into this game now.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Reported for disagreement. Is Insomnia from XV? Never played but also never seen how that city looked in game. I remember the concept art being obscenely good but doubt it looks like that lol.

And I guess some of it is kind of tropey, but I still think a true sense of verticality in a city is an extremely rare thing in games. Might be common in scifi and cyberpunk in particular but I can't think of many games that do it well. And if they do, it's maybe overly cyberpunk in a dystopian sense.
Insomnia is from XV but due to budget reasons we never explore it like we do the one in FF13-2, at least not with the same....."lively" vibe.

It's funny because some of the earliest demos and prototypes from FFXV featured the same section of Insomnia that appeared in the very very first teaser trailer for what would eventually become FFXV.