• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
12 is substantially more grindy, though, isn't it? I might remember it wrong, it's been some years.

Yes and no. Compared with 8, you're not drawing spells to have a backup reservoir on pack mule characters. Also there is a 2x and 4x Fast Forward and your AI companions are programmable with Gambits (biconditional statements where you tell them what to do in a situation). So really you can just speedrun through a field of mobs and your team will annihilate it based on what you've told them to do.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Phrases like this are such a good reminder of how much I hate Final Fantasy VIII. Such a loathsome system.

I found the characters pretty lacking overall and Edea, a floating alien garden, the GF's, and the parallel / past Laguna storyline I found pretty silly. Yeah, a system where you junction spells for stats is great, but god forbid you actually use a spell because your stats are forever diminished. Like the one draw of Pandemonium you can get in an entire playthrough. Yeah okay now I'm getting mad that game is dog shit.

Nitori

Oct 29, 2017
I was going to buy the Switch version but now I don't have to. Nice of Square to update it.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
It WAS the best even before (because of mods).
Seems to be. Even without mods, it has 60fps and seemingly all Switch/XB1 features now like the third OST option and it has NG+ and NG- modes(think that is new with patch?). Plus I want to check out that "Struggle" gameplay rebalance mod.

Ok thanks.

I know PC is the best version of FFX as well. I was just making sure.

Also speaking of mods, are there any recommended ones?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
This Steam "sale" is the price it should have launched at, maybe even more than that, lol. The update is cool but I'll keep waiting for a lower price.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Ohh this is so awesome! I regretted some initial choices with the jobs so this is perfect. I'm done with the game but still got a way to go to get that plat.

Does this reset espers, though? I know some parts of the license board are locked without getting specific espers.

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had just started a PC playthrough this week, feels good man. Love playing this in ultrawide at 60 FPS. Such a good port.

Only issue is the FMV cutscenes don't take into account my in-game volume setting so my ears get blasted every time one plays...

Corrupt

Oct 31, 2017
I forgot about some of the versions being behind in features and bought this on PS4 a couple of days ago, Hasn't arrived yet so this news is cool to see. I'll double dip on the steam version one day for when I get a pc that can run it.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Ohh this is so awesome! I regretted some initial choices with the jobs so this is perfect. I'm done with the game but still got a way to go to get that plat.

Does this reset espers, though? I know some parts of the license board are locked without getting specific espers.

Presumably it returns all spent points on the boards, like in the Switch/XBO version. Would be strange if espers weren't included.

Seems to be. Even without mods, it has 60fps and seemingly all Switch/XB1 features now like the third OST option and it has NG+ and NG- modes(think that is new with patch?). Plus I want to check out that "Struggle" gameplay rebalance mod.

I want to say that the third OST was there from the start. It was when I played it a month ago anyway. I think.

Edit: yuppers.

Last edited:

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
12 is substantially more grindy, though, isn't it? I might remember it wrong, it's been some years.
If you want summons, you're going to grind like a motherfucker. Likewise if you want to do most of the hunt side quests. The vast majority of these can't be tackled organically as you come across them unless you just randomly decide to engage them in the final three hours of the story.

This is my biggest complaint about the game.

Deleted member 2441

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want summons, you're going to grind like a motherfucker. Likewise if you want to do most of the hunt side quests. The vast majority of these can't be tackled organically as you come across them unless you just randomly decide to engage them in the final three hours of the story.

This is my biggest complaint about the game.

Thankfully on PC at lease you can run at 4x speed! Which makes grinding so much quicker.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I was gonna hold out for gamepass but I may bite on steam because I won everything g else up to x-2 so why not?

Deleted member 4262

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. I haven't touched the PC version since I bought it last year, but I did get the platinum on PS4 a while back. Still need to wait a bit longer before I play it again though.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the game 60fps on Xbox one X?

It's now 60fps on PS4 Pro too?

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Phrases like this are such a good reminder of how much I hate Final Fantasy VIII. Such a loathsome system.
And phrases like that are reminders of how much players can't be trusted to have common sense.

I mean, you don't need to actually spend hours stockpiling spells in Final Fantasy VIII. You can if you like grinding. But if you don't enjoy tediously drawing spells from enemies all the time, then don't.

Heck, you don't even need to use draw in most of Final Fantasy VIII. After the first two dungeons or so you start getting access to GF abilities which allow you to obtain junctionable spells in different ways, and they're a lot more efficient than drawing from enemies in battle.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
And phrases like that are reminders of how much players can't be trusted to have common sense.

I mean, you don't need to actually spend hours stockpiling spells in Final Fantasy VIII. You can if you like grinding. But if you don't enjoy tediously drawing spells from enemies all the time, then don't.

Heck, you don't even need to use draw in most of Final Fantasy VIII. After the first two dungeons or so you start getting access to GF abilities which allow you to obtain junctionable spells in different ways, and they're a lot more efficient than drawing from enemies in battle.
I'm well aware of what I have or do not have to do to succeed in FFVIII and have been for over 20 years, my fellow italic-lover. It doesn't change the fact that I hate the way the system is built and how cumbersome and world-breaking it is.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I've been waiting for these features to be added to the pc version, so here i go.

Or maybe not yet, because 25€ is a bit steep, but then again, i have some cards money.

🤔

EDIT: Purchased. I need to play a proper rpg after whatever ff7 remake was.

Last edited:

Sorbete

Oct 30, 2017
Where can I request a Kumbha animation change to SE (LOL)? Keep it 1H but not in the back of the character.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Finally, the fact that it took this long is absurd. Square has been so asinine in their release of games this gen, one platform gets all this extra shit and another gets the game way earlier, just make it the same for all of them ffs.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
wth. Don't get me wrong, i'm glad FF12 got these updates on all platforms.
But that's just so odd for FFX.

Yeah, tell me about it. It's the only console Final Fantasy not to have cheats, and honestly it needs them. I played through the Switch version last year, and the encounter rate is stupid high even for a Final Fantasy.

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
It was just $24.99 last month on Switch and before that, December, so it probably won't hit that price again until another few months or so. I just don't have it in me to wait that long. I'll grab it for PS4 and be happy.

www.dekudeals.com

FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE | Deku Deals

FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE - on sale now for 60% off. Compare all the current prices, see histories, and get deal alerts for the next sale at Deku Deals

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Ohhh fuck. OK, based on the answers here, I eliminated FFVIII, but now I see PSN currently has FFXII Zodiac Age and Ni No Kuni 1 remaster with 50% off.
Sorry for asking dumb questions again, but which one should I get?

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
YES! I can jump back in and play around with respecs!

Ohhh fuck. OK, based on the answers here, I eliminated FFVIII, but now I see PSN currently has FFXII Zodiac Age and Ni No Kuni 1 remaster with 50% off.
I would go with FFXII for that Matusno / Sakimoto combo goodness

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

Dude, everyone knows how Final Fantasy VIII works, including how to completely break the game if they want. It's not rocket science. It's just a cumbersome, unenjoyable system in many people's eyes and has been looked at as such since the game came out 20 years ago. This ain't new. Doesn't help that it came after the game with the Materia system, which was well loved and embraced.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would go for FFXII if you have never played it before.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD

FFXII is leagues above Ni no Kuni. NNK's main claim to fame can all be appreciated on YouTube (because outside the art and music, it's nothing special).

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Dude, everyone knows how Final Fantasy VIII works, including how to completely break the game if they want. It's not rocket science. It's just a cumbersome, unenjoyable system in many people's eyes and has been looked at as such since the game came out 20 years ago. This ain't new. Doesn't help that it came after the game with the Materia system, which was well loved and embraced.
You'd think, but I've seen people admit that they'd just draw 99 of every spell onto every character, and then complain they were bored while doing it.

Think about it: Why does that one poster need spell mules? Each character can hold hundreds of spell casts; even if he didn't admit it, the original poster complaining about the battle system was grinding absurd numbers of draw spells. And is now complaining about it.

Then you had following posters complaining about loosing stats "permanently" when casting spells. Which is like..."Uh, kind of the point. Either use different commands or manage your spells." FFVIII is a broken mess, but most of the complaints tend to be from people that just do weird things while playing and make things far worse than they're supposed to be.