• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one to play first?

• FFVII

Votes: 86 64.2%
  • FFIX

Votes: 48 35.8%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
I don't particularly have a preference, and I'm the type of person who would play 4 player GoldenEye right now so graphics isn't a major issue, but I was still wondering if going FFIX first would ease the blow a little bit, or if it makes sense to start with the first one (of the PS1 trilogy)

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Play both, along the VI they're the holy trinity of the series and you shouldn't miss them.

I would play them in release date order.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I'd say IX is an easier transition. VII is hands down the ugliest final fantasy game ever made.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say IX is an easier transition. VII is hands down the ugliest final fantasy game ever made.
Yeah, this right here. As someone who played it late and has no nostalgia for VII, it took a bit for me to get into it because the visual style is so jarring (trying to be nice here). Once you get into it though, it is legit a great game. I'd maybe play it first just so it's less harsh of a transition.

IX is still really great looking and still holds up (aside from slow battle times, but idk maybe that's better on switch) and you shouldn't have any problems getting into it. It is by far my fave of the FF games.

Nov 23, 2017
VII is the better game (to me), the easier game (to me), and more new player friendly (to me). You can use any materia on any character as long as you have the slots so any character can practically be what you want them to be, magic-wise. Since it's also the better game overall to me, just go play VII. IX is fantastic as heck and is my second favorite so play that one afterwards.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
If you're looking to get a sense of the history around the franchise and the things you're most likely to see referenced online, play VII. If you're looking to play the more enjoyable game, play IX.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
You can't go wrong with either, they're both amazing. I'd say 7, because it's my favorite, but 9 is amazing as well.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I like IX better than VII, and I like VI better than both of them. I'm hoping we'll eventually see VI (III) as part of Nintendo Online, but who knows?

If you plan to play both, I'd play VII first. If you're only planning to play one, go with IX

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Play VII first, then round it out with IX to finish the PS FF saga.

Personally I like VII more, but it did not age as well visually. However, the game is a little easier, you can use speed up functions, and the story and progression are still fun to go through. Surprisingly, I feel the battle system holds up better than IX because of the higher customization, and the battles are a little more snappy.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I would probably have had a better experience with IX had I played it before VII, so I'd recommend that order if you are going to play both. Just one I would pick VII.

However since you have already played the best in VIII maybe they both will feel inferior ;)

Last edited:

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think as time goes on, VII has been vindicated as the truly surreal and spectacular entry that has to be experienced, warts and all.

IX is excellent. It's strengths are that it tells its story well with a very well realized fantasy world. But I feel like it lacks the strange "other" appeal that VII has and so I'd get to it later.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think VII is the better game but I would go with IX first. If you loved VIII for its setting, you will get some modern day vibes from FFVII as well. IX is very very different from VII and VIII and you may dislike it after playing VIII and IX.

I personally think IX is a great game but the weakest of the three because of its story and characters.

So I say play IX next because it may not vibe with you after VII and VIII.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its depends what you want, do you want cyber punk or middle age fantasy?
both are great games imo you cant go wrong

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
My vote is for VII. Storywise I think they're both good but system's wise Materia > 9's ability system. It's much more flexible and lends itself to some interesting builds during the main game. FFIX eventually opens up too but I think FFVII gets there sooner.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
FFIX is the best game ever made, so actually it's probably better if you play 7 first.

PrismStar

Oct 27, 2017
While it kinda looks ugly nowaday VII is still the best game in the series. It's also the most iconic JRPG (aside from Pokemon). You should absolutely play it. IX can wait.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
it it's to play one of the recent rereleases, then 7 and that's it. Both are incredible games but the 9 port is just too crappy, and I say that as someone with very high tolerance for jank. The removal of analog movement and the bad input lag are absolutely game breaking matters imo.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Both are phenomenal, VII is better imo but IX is way more good looking so maybe you should start with VII, after IX is going to look really bad.