• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What would Shinra gain from that? A setup to make people fear Avalanche?
Gain sentiment from people of midgard to go into another war with Wutai as Shinra will be selling the idea that Wutai funded/hired avalanche to destroy the reactors. Shinra gets to invade Wutai and own all of it....

Last edited:

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it?
It certainly gives the party of avalanche a different feel but if it fits in the new scenario with wutai and shinras war it would make sense and properly segment the event as well
we should wait and see things in context
I'm looking forward to these changes/additions to the story as it adds an element to the story and seems like itll make a certain character fit into the story better than being an optional character like in the original. (I can't spoiler text that well on mobile.)

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The thing about
Shinra blowing it up themselves is that...there's no reason to add that bit. It's a dictatorship and Avalanche could've still be blamed without adding that specific beat. As it weakens other narrative elements, i.e. Jesse and Barret's guilt and party discussions about whether or not they're doing the right thing. It takes away ambiguity and makes character flaws ring a bit hollow. Now Barret's added speech about how every great movement requires sacrifice will ring hollow, because we, the audience, know that they didn't do anything wrong and that it was instead the evil mustache twirling villains who're behind everything.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Gain sentiment from people of midgard to go into another war with Wutai as Shinra will be selling the idea that Wutai funded/hired avalanche to destroy the reactors. Shinra gets to invade Wutai and own all of it....
Shinra already controls Wutai by FF7, unless they pull a retcon & make the Wutai war a part of the second instalment to really drag this remake out, who knows.

Deleted member 53268

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 8, 2019
At this point I see Wutai becoming an important location for the plot of the second episode. Maybe we will meet Yuffie for the first time there.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about
Shinra blowing it up themselves is that...there's no reason to add that bit. It's a dictatorship and Avalanche could've still be blamed without adding that specific beat. As it weakens other narrative elements, i.e. Jesse and Barret's guilt and party discussions about whether or not they're doing the right thing. It takes away ambiguity and makes character flaws ring a bit hollow. Now Barret's added speech about how every great movement requires sacrifice will ring hollow, because we, the audience, know that they didn't do anything wrong and that it was instead the evil mustache twirling villains who're behind everything.

I mean. they still tried to do it. And the fact they think they did it, and still went to do it again doesn't change that.

If you go to kill someone, shoot them, but the first shot doesn't kill, but then someone else finishes them off, that doesn't absolve you of trying to do it because someone finished the job you intended to do.

Maybe they weren't looking to kill innocents, but Barret was still fine with it if thats how it needed to be. I don't think in rings hollow to his character when its still something he is fully willing to do.

I don't think it is their intent to absolve AVALANCHE of their sins. I think it was to push the new Wutai subplot by having ShinRa turn AVALANCHE into an excuse by causing more harm than they actually want to

ElukiaTV

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Im... actually really enjoying all this changes.. i have played the original game so many times (in every sony platform except that PSX dvd recorder) that i actually do want to see a different take on it... But yes. i know some people just wanted FF7, not a FF7 2020.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I mean. they still tried to do it. And the fact they think they did it, and still went to do it again doesn't change that.

If you go to kill someone, shoot them, but the first shot doesn't kill, but then someone else finishes them off, that doesn't absolve you of trying to do it because someone finished the job you intended to do.

Maybe they weren't looking to kill innocents, but Barret was still fine with it if thats how it needed to be. I don't think in rings hollow to his character when its still something he is fully willing to do.

I don't think it is their intent to absolve AVALANCHE of their sins. I think it was to push the new Wutai subplot by having ShinRa turn AVALANCHE into an excuse by causing more harm than they actually want to
They blew up a thing and due to general inexperience with terrorism blowing up the thing had unintended consequences and innocent lives were lost in the process, making them wonder if the end justifies the means despite feeling like they had no choice > They tried to do a thing, failed at it, and were framed despite failing.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Im... actually really enjoying all this changes.. i have played the original game so many times (in every sony platform except that PSX dvd recorder) that i actually do want to see a different take on it... But yes. i know some people just wanted FF7, not a FF7 2020.

Im down for changes but I didn't think the core story needed to be changed fundamentally as much as updated and expanded

I agree with the recent sentiments that some of these small plot changes are unnecessary and confusing

Here is hoping they don't go too overboard

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The thing about

They have to add propaganda to the city to keep things under control. While they rule its not a matter of civs being zombies

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They blew up a thing and due to general inexperience with terrorism blowing up the thing had unintended consequences and innocent lives were lost in the process, making them wonder if the end justifies the means despite feeling like they had no choice > They tried to do a thing, failed at it, and were framed despite failing.

they still think it was them that did it. They don't know they were framed for the damage they didn't calculate for. They still have those thoughts and conversation

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
They have to add propaganda to the city to keep things under control. While they rule its not a matter of civs being zombies
That propaganda could literally still be a thing without the mustache twirling villains doing the thing, if anything, it would make more sense for them to take advantage of the unintended damage.

they still think it was them that did it. They don't know they were framed for the damage they didn't calculate for. They still have those thoughts and conversation
The issue is that those convos will ring hollow now as a result.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
ezgif-2168112475.gif

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That propaganda could literally still be a thing without the mustache twirling villains doing the thing, if anything, it would make more sense for them to take advantage of the unintended damage.

I really don't think they do, at all. IMO they still went to go do it, which is why it was ever in danger of blowing up at all. Their actions still is was led to it. They never thought about the potential innocents involved until after. And THEN they do it again despite it. It doesn't ring hollow. Barret and co are still fully willing despite knowing more innocent people can die for it.

We'll just have to disagree. I definitely don't think it changes much at all. Barret is still fine with innocents dieing to take down ShinRa.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't think they do, at all. IMO they still went to go do it, which is why it was ever in danger of blowing up at all. Their actions still is was led to it. They never thought about the potential innocents involved until after. And THEN they do it again despite it. It doesn't ring hollow. Barret and co are still fully willing despite knowing more innocent people can die for it.

We'll just have to disagree. I definitely don't think it changes much at all. Barret is still fine with innocents dieing to take down ShinRa.
It doesn't matter if the characters think they did a bad thing, in the original, they did a thing that had a sense of genuine moral ambiguity. Now that moral ambiguity is gone.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter if the characters think they did a bad thing, in the original, they did a thing that had a sense of genuine moral ambiguity. Now that moral ambiguity is gone.
I don't think it is

As i said we'll just have to disagree. Its just going to go in circles

Holy shit! Is this confirmed?

damn it. I fell for it once. Then wanted to see what you quoted and fell for it again

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With all the talk about wutai, SHINRA and avalanche.... wonder if they'll actually implement parts of before crisis into this rendition of 7.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Yeah, I wasn't sure how I'd feel about full orchestral, but I'm loving the music arrangements so far.
Music is on point, nothing to complain about there. Love the additions to tracks we are familiar with but also looking forward to the new stuff. I have a feeling Roche is getting his own theme.

Where the hell is?

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Exactly.

Avalanche in the original are an extremely morally grey group of eco terrorists but now that Shinra blows it up they're just your typical hero group trying to take down the evil big bad corporation. There's nothing morally grey about them now because they didn't even do anything that is questionable. What's the point of Jessie saying that they might deserve to die for what they did when they didn't do anything wrong. It makes no sense.

And why does this change even exist? Shinra framing Avalanche is something that happens when the plate drops which is going to happen later on in the game, so now we're getting two plot points that do the exact same thing. And if Avalanche think they blew it up WHY CHANGE IT SO THAT THEY DIDN'T?! What a pointless change that adds nothing and takes away everything.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god, someone spoiled me (not here, though, so nobody worry).

So, FFVII is the Special Edition A New Hope to OG FFVII's original Stat Wars.
Greedo shoots first now.

Maclunkey!

I REALLY hope this doesn't mean we get a sanitized
trail of blood. That would be the equivalent of replacing the guns with walkie-talkies in the newer ET rerelease

Exactly.

Avalanche in the original are an extremely morally grey group of eco terrorists but now that Shinra blows it up they're just your typical hero group trying to take down the evil big bad corporation. There's nothing morally grey about them now because they didn't even do anything that is questionable. What's the point of Jessie saying that they might deserve to die for what they did when they didn't do anything wrong. It makes no sense.

And why does this change even exist? Shinra framing Avalanche is something that happens when the plate drops which is going to happen later on in the game, so now we're getting two plot points that do the exact same thing. And if Avalanche think they blew it up WHY CHANGE IT SO THAT THEY DIDN'T?! What a pointless change that adds nothing and takes away everything.
I'm also pretty sure a lot of FF fans liked the game BECAUSE of that morally grey aspect. They were the "Yeah, sometimes shit needs to be done for the greater good. A few lives pale in comparison to EVERY LIVING THING ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET."

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about

This.

One of the best scenes in the Midgar part of the original was Avalanche members looking back to their actions as ecoterrorists, specially Jesse, during Shinra assault to the Sector 7 base pillar. Making avalanche members just accidental ecoterrorists, disminishes their actions, motives and characters. Even if it was an accident, their morally grey context was one of the best things in the game.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm with Eden on this as well. Sounds like a very stupid change.

I never really expected much from the story updates, though. So it doesn't impact my desire to play at all.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, they are whitewashing Avalanche?

Ugh. I can't believe they are going to ruin one of the best games for no apparent good reason.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I wonder about the budget for the remake. Feels like this will be the most ambitious japanese video game ever, especially in terms of the production and everything around it.
Marketing budget must be crazy too. The release of this game will be such a big and special event to many people.
I wish I could resist the urge to play the demo when it's there, but we all know that's not gonna happen.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about

Yep. I'm with you.
This is just some bullshit "Greedo shot first". Square thought that the actions of the main characters in the original game was "too much" and decided to rob them of their agency in order to "make them not as bad as they were". As if it would lessen our love of the main characters to see them do something morally grey as causing the death of people for "the greater good". Except that's what they did in the original game and that stopped no one from holding these characters as among the greatest the medium has ever seen.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I wonder about the budget for the remake. Feels like this will be the most ambitious japanese video game ever, especially in terms of the production and everything around it.
Marketing budget must be crazy too. The release of this game will be such a big and special event to many people.
I wish I could resist the urge to play the demo when it's there, but we all know that's not gonna happen.
It would be neat if any progress you make in the demo can be brought to the full game. Who am I kidding though, I'd still want to replay the intro.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I'm with you.
This is just some bullshit "Greedo shot first". Square thought that the actions of the main characters in the original game was "too much" and decided to rob them of their agency in order to "make them not as bad as they were". As if it would lessen our love of the main characters to see them do something morally grey as causing the death of people for "the greater good". Except that's what they did in the original game and that stopped no one from holding these characters as among the greatest the medium has ever seen.
It almost makes it seem like
Nomura is the George Lucas of Square Enix

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
Exactly.

I'm also in agreement with this

There really seems no reason to change that other than to make the whole scenario more black and white and Mickey Mouse, which in turn just makes it less interesting. Not like the whole story was some masterpiece to begin with, but little things like that take away what existing complexity and more grounded aspects that made it more interesting than your standard good vs evil RPG yarn.

Add to that, the silliness of Shinra choosing their own active reactor as a target simply to frame Avalanche. Makes Shinra also a tad more incompetent.

Nov 2, 2017
I don't get the people saying the changes are awful and their turned off from the game. We're getting a FFVII remake game set entirely in Migdar. Clearly things had to be changed to accommodate that.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
More thoughts on that story beat:

Making Shinra the actual perpetrators of the mako reactor's explosion robs the game of some more commentary on the real world. Avanlanche blowing up the reactor and having Shinra use that fact as a justification to wage further war on Wutai is like 1:1 what the Republican Party did with 9/11 to justify the war on terror. Retconning this to "actually Shinra is secretly the one who did it" is some Truther-ism nonsense.

Basically, Square are mako reactor truthers.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Exactly.

This is hilarious and exactly why I didnt trust modern day square "adding" to this story.

That'd be a great b-day present for me, so fingers crossed here.
Hey birthday pals! I also hope this is true

Last edited: